Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

If Mexico was more stable and in better shape in prior the Mexican American war and has banned american immigration since independence and instead gave away land to soldiers as payment and to landless peasants up north and at southern mexico. Would the war with US still happen? and who would win and how would it affect the rest of the 1800s

Has anyone done a good Alexandrian Empire timeline? Talking about the Ptolomies here. The closest I could find was a Cleopatra self insert but that's an SI, not a timeline. Anything?

While researching Wikipedia on the African states of the Sahel and Gulf of Guinea, I discovered that in the 17th century an African King tried to invite a Spanish delegation to convert to Catholicism and obtain an alliance with Spain.
Unfortunately I have lost the name of this King as well as the said Kingdom and I can't find it.
Does anyone know what I am talking about?

Last edited:

Eparkhos

Banned
While researching Wikipedia on the African states of the Sahel and Gulf of Guinea, I discovered that in the 17th century an African King tried to invite a Spanish delegation to convert to Catholicism and obtain an alliance with Spain.
Unfortunately I have lost the name of this King as well as the said Kingdom and I can't find it.
Does anyone know what I am talking about?
IIRC, maybe Kongo?

IIRC, maybe Kongo?
Unfortunately not, that would be too simple.
It is a "small" Sahelian state. The African King had sent a letter to Madrid. The Spanish diplomatic mission was composed of Jesuits who were to reach the capital inland. But this did not work out as the journey was too difficult.

If any Qing Emperor converted to Islam what would be the results? What would a Muslim China look like, how would it interact with the Western powers and Japan/Korea?

Or Christian too

Last edited:

Bytor

Monthly Donor
What if Francis II had survived into at least middle age, if not his senior years, and had healthy, surviving children with his wife, Mary, Queen of Scots?

How long would the Scottish and French crowns stay in personal union?

What if Francis II had survived into at least middle age, if not his senior years, and had healthy, surviving children with his wife, Mary, Queen of Scots?

If they have more than one sons as soon as one of the couples kick the bucket.

Bytor

Monthly Donor

I'm imagining that Henry Stuart, Lord Damley, who does not die at Kirk o' Field in this ATL, would become King Henry IX of England in 1603, because the English nobles would not want Mary's and Francis' offspring on the throne, and Henry had just as strong a claim as Mary did, for the exact same reason, being her cousin.

I'm imagining that Henry Stuart, Lord Damley, who does not die at Kirk o' Field in this ATL, would become King Henry IX of England in 1603, because the English nobles would not want Mary's and Francis' offspring on the throne, and Henry had just as strong a claim as Mary did, for the exact same reason, being her cousin.
England would really be getting the short end of the stick in this TL. There's a reason Darnley was murdered. He was a weak, egotistical buffoon!

Here's a question - given it's delightfully cheeky tagline ('an occasionally true story') does THE GREAT (starring Miss Elle Fanning & Mr Nicholas Hoult) count as Alternate History media?

Bytor

Monthly Donor
Lord Damley probably provokes the English Civil War a bit on the early side as he wouldn't be the dove James II was, or trying to avoid conflict the way Charles I was.

Maybe his son, by some other woman, is the James II analog who receives a pension from Elizabeth I?

Either way, whether it's Damley as Henry IX or his son, it comes down to how they view divine rights of kings and religious liberty, issues of the ECW, and whether or not they piss off Spain and get involved in the Thirty Years War on the continent.

The worse things go for England, the better they go for Scotland because England is too distracted to try and gobble up Scotland. Unless things go very, very bad and the ECW expands beyond just some fleeing remnant armies trying to take a Scottish border fort as a base to regroup and attack back into England.

Apart from Robert Dudley whom else was a viable candidate for Queen Elizabeth I's hand and what might have been the consequences if Elizabeth had married X and had son(s)?

No way as Darnley’s claim was junior to that of Mary AND he also was excluded by Henry VIII‘s last will from the succession plus he was Catholic. Most likely if Elizabeth has no intention to marry, she will recognize Catherine Grey’s wedding to Edward Seymour as valid and left England to their heirs

Last edited:
It probably could have if Henry V stuck around, Henry VI wasn't an idiot, or Edward III actually wanted the throne.

Tho at that point it'll be more Plantagenets winning the French civil war than England winning the HYW.

Would it have been possible or feasible for the Louisiana Territory to gain and keep independence at some point prior to its purchase by the United States? Seems like a competitor state to the west that wasn’t Mexico would have a lot of interesting ramifications for the development of the US...

Would it have been possible or feasible for the Louisiana Territory to gain and keep independence at some point prior to its purchase by the United States? Seems like a competitor state to the west that wasn’t Mexico would have a lot of interesting ramifications for the development of the US...
Keep? No. Too sparsely populated and difficult to defend..?

It is often the case that people on this forum have miscellaneous or frivolous questions that could be easily answered by the many experts on this forum but are difficult to find the answer to on Google Scholar/Books or Wikipedia because they don't often deal in alternatives.

There are other cases where people have miscellaneous or frivolous scenarios or challenges that they want to share about an idea they encountered that could perhaps provoke inspiration in other users but isn't deserving enough to be posted as a thread on its own.

These issues have been addressed in the Shared Worlds and ASB forums but haven't been dealt with here.

This thread is intended to be a resource for those with questions about a timeline they want to construct which are minor and undeserving of their own thread, and a place to share ideas that people don't have time, skill or knowledge to write themselves.
TL;DR: Could Charles XII won the Great Northern War without giving up Northern Livonia to Peter the Great?

Not sure if this is relevant, but is there any way that Charles XII could have won the Great Northern War (1700-1721)? I’ve thought that maybe if he had pursued Russia instead of the PLC after the Russian army was crushed in the battle of Narva that Peter would have surrendered and, well, be honest, Augustus II wouldn’t stand a chance at Charles XII in his prime and no allies, or would he have had to agreed to the peace that Peter the Great presented to him where he got to keep Northern Livonia to be able to win. Just a question that’s been rattling in my brain for a while.