Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
What if Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh, had accepted the Greek Crown?

What would have happened to the succession of the dukedom of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha in 1893? Would Charles Edward of Albany have got it earlier, although still a child, or would the Connaughts have accepted it instead? Wilhelm II might not have been so demanding of conditions for inheritance in 1893 as he was in 1901.

What If a Royal intermarriage between the ruling Mercian (Iclingas) and the Frankish dynasty through the marrying of a son of Charlemagne and a daughter of Offa the Mercian king.
In OTL, this could have happened cause there was a proposal (either at Charlemagne initiative or the other way around, but it wasn't to be. So, what if the marrying negotiations 'd has started and the dynastic alliance 'd be done successfully?
What would be the political and dynastic consequences if the marriage would have had viable offspring between the House of Icel and the Carolingians? Either for Anglo-Saxons kingdoms (especially for the Mercian hegemony) as for the Frankish Empire.
Would it have caused the Frankish involvement in the Island wars and/or Heptarchy succession issues? Also, eventually in the future the involvement as well on the Charlemagne Empire succession wars? Could be possible, in this scenario, that, perhaps, any of the others Anglo-Saxon or even Welsh rulers would decide to follow the Mercian example/precedent?

It is often the case that people on this forum have miscellaneous or frivolous questions that could be easily answered by the many experts on this forum but are difficult to find the answer to on Google Scholar/Books or Wikipedia because they don't often deal in alternatives.

There are other cases where people have miscellaneous or frivolous scenarios or challenges that they want to share about an idea they encountered that could perhaps provoke inspiration in other users but isn't deserving enough to be posted as a thread on its own.

These issues have been addressed in the Shared Worlds and ASB forums but haven't been dealt with here.

This thread is intended to be a resource for those with questions about a timeline they want to construct which are minor and undeserving of their own thread, and a place to share ideas that people don't have time, skill or knowledge to write themselves.
Could the Drevlians have formed a East Slavic Empire instead of the rival Kiewan Rus ?

Could a Mongol state have survived in eastern europe? In a world where maybe they pushed a little less into Europe before the Mongol empire crumbles, and maybe before the hysteria of Mongol invasion hits ahead in Europe, the countries are less fearful of the Mongols. One of the resulting khanates manage to stick around in eastern europe for awhile. They never adopt islam but instead end up more orthodox over time, essentially becoming Russia of the region but its a Mongol state. Probable? Any PoDs suggestions for this to happen?

Could a Mongol state have survived in eastern europe? In a world where maybe they pushed a little less into Europe before the Mongol empire crumbles, and maybe before the hysteria of Mongol invasion hits ahead in Europe, the countries are less fearful of the Mongols. One of the resulting khanates manage to stick around in eastern europe for awhile. They never adopt islam but instead end up more orthodox over time, essentially becoming Russia of the region but its a Mongol state. Probable? Any PoDs suggestions for this to happen?
You mean like the Khanate of Crimea but further west?
Perhaps in the 13th/14th centuries, instead of being a vassal state to the Golden Horde, Bulgaria instead becomes a Khanate?

You mean like the Khanate of Crimea but further west?
Perhaps in the 13th/14th centuries, instead of being a vassal state to the Golden Horde, Bulgaria instead becomes a Khanate?
In my timeline I have Kublai Khan establish a brief colony in OTL Alaska thats abandoned later my his son Tëmur. Russia later colonizes alaska in a bigger way than historic and they move the last rulers of the Crimean Khanate to this region. They later become part of the nobility meaning the heirs of Genghis live on in the new world.

I know its not the same as was requested. And is very random, but I'm proud of that. And maybe something similar could happen in an Alt TL where Russia moves them to another part of the empire and they later successfully rebel.

I'm thinking of making a Napoleon Wins scenario, but writing it in the style of the Warhammer 40,000 codices. Sounds like a decent idea?

What if something similar to the Bessemer process was invented by the Romans around the 1st century C.E? Aside from the logistics of such an operation (I know 11th-century China had something similar to the modern-day process on a smaller scale), how would access to easily-produced steel change Mediterranean history, particularly military operations now that mail would be relatively less expensive to produce?
Just a fairly frivolous question after reading about the expensiveness of mail.

Silly question: would railroads be worth building without the invention of trains? Basically I was randomly thinking about stuff while trying to sleep and I thought about how logistics weren't really much of a thing for most of warfare (with pretty much all food gained while on campaign) and thought about something as simple as a network of push carts for, say, the Romans.

Silly question: would railroads be worth building without the invention of trains? Basically I was randomly thinking about stuff while trying to sleep and I thought about how logistics weren't really much of a thing for most of warfare (with pretty much all food gained while on campaign) and thought about something as simple as a network of push carts for, say, the Romans.
Most pre-locomotive railroads were used for mining rather than anything else but they were plenty useful at that task since they were built all over Europe.

Most pre-locomotive railroads were used for mining rather than anything else but they were plenty useful at that task since they were built all over Europe.
Yes, and so there were probably reasons why they weren't used for other purposes elsewhere. Otherwise I'm sure that they would have spread to them. I could imagine them also being used in a port town or the like to move materials from the docks to warehouses or places where they would be processed, but then again, it would probably me more efficient to just put the warehouses at the docks.

Silly question: would railroads be worth building without the invention of trains?

Yes.

First_Horsecar_in_Manchester%2C_NH.jpg

It is often the case that people on this forum have miscellaneous or frivolous questions that could be easily answered by the many experts on this forum but are difficult to find the answer to on Google Scholar/Books or Wikipedia because they don't often deal in alternatives.

There are other cases where people have miscellaneous or frivolous scenarios or challenges that they want to share about an idea they encountered that could perhaps provoke inspiration in other users but isn't deserving enough to be posted as a thread on its own.

These issues have been addressed in the Shared Worlds and ASB forums but haven't been dealt with here.

This thread is intended to be a resource for those with questions about a timeline they want to construct which are minor and undeserving of their own thread, and a place to share ideas that people don't have time, skill or knowledge to write themselves.
Could the Dravlians have been the source of an East Slavic Empire instread of the Rus ?

@Byzantion I know that I sound like a stuck record on this subject and you probably find me annoying as a result, but can I please ask you, again, to stop quoting the first post every time you pose a question? You've done this in almost every one of your posts in this thread. You've been asked three times in this thread not to do this (posts 374, 427 and 676) as well as in other threads (here and here). The last time, just 2 months ago, you responded that you would just reply from now on.
Obviously there's no problem with quoting another question in a reply, to make it clear which question you're responding to, but quoting the first post every time just clutters up the thread.
Thank you.
ps you already asked the above question in post 803, further up this page.

@Byzantion I know that I sound like a stuck record on this subject and you probably find me annoying as a result, but can I please ask you, again, to stop quoting the first post every time you pose a question? You've done this in almost every one of your posts in this thread. You've been asked three times in this thread not to do this (posts 374, 427 and 676) as well as in other threads (here and here). The last time, just 2 months ago, you responded that you would just reply from now on.
Obviously there's no problem with quoting another question in a reply, to make it clear which question you're responding to, but quoting the first post every time just clutters up the thread.
Thank you.
ps you already asked the above question in post 803, further up this page.
Sorry, my mistake. I will be more careful.

May I please ask if there is any example from History of a British colony being captured and held by the French during the 18th Century? (I've been trying to imagine what sort of changes might affect a sugar island or a North American colony captured from the British by the Ancien Régime at some point during the late 1600s or early 1700s, but have run headlong into my own ignorance of the subject).

Thank You in advance for your consideration!

This Might be a stupid idea but what if the Dutch Settlers in New Amsterdam did what the Boers did in our world and migrated up north in America following the British Annexation of New Netherland