Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

For something I'm working on, I'm trying to figure out politicians who had been bought by Standard Oil, or any other large monopoly at the time. So far, I've only been able to find Matthew S. Quay and Joseph B. Foraker. Anything helps.

For something I'm working on, I'm trying to figure out politicians who had been bought by Standard Oil, or any other large monopoly at the time. So far, I've only been able to find Matthew S. Quay and Joseph B. Foraker. Anything helps.
Didn't pork-barrel spending/special interests occur then as in now? Politicians whose main donors were Standard Oil..?
Anyone in a close reelection race might think twice before rejecting Standard Oil funds, though.

Didn't pork-barrel spending/special interests occur then as in now? Politicians whose main donors were Standard Oil..?
Anyone in a close reelection race might think twice before rejecting Standard Oil funds, though.
I know that they did do this back then, and that it wasn't uncommon, but I'm looking specific names of politicians who received bribes or other similar things from Standard Oil or any other of the large monopolies.

Ficboy

Banned
I'm trying to find a Whig-Free Soil Speaker of the House for my early Civil War timeline. One that wasn't part of the convention in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Any good suggestions.

What if the Liao and Yellow River clans intermarried each other as they migrated to opposite directions (some Yellow River clans migrated northeast, while their Liao counterparts migrated to southwest)? How it would affect the Han Chinese ethnogenesis?

I'm trying to find a Whig-Free Soil Speaker of the House for my early Civil War timeline. One that wasn't part of the convention in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Any good suggestions.
I think maybe Joshua R. Giddings would probably be the best option. If not him, than Nathaniel P. Banks, Galusha Grow, or Elihu B. Washburne could all work.

Would it be possible to have a reconquista that ended up with a multi-faith society?
Doubt it; the Reconquista was or at least seemed to be founded on religious intolerance. Demonization of Muslims was used to get knights and other soldiers to join the Spanish Christians to take Muslim-controlled areas of Spain.

Wouldn't Spain be absolutely creamed in that war? Really long supply lines combined with industrialized or almost-industrialized Japan...

Yes everything I've read suggested it would be a wipe. I'm interested in the greater implications of what happens to the Philippines (independent, German, Japanese?) and how the Spanish American war changes without a Pacific theatre.

POD in 1850s results in independent Hawaii. Someone fights Spain before the USA does. Result: the USA basically have zero occupied territory in the Pacific, tons of claims that they have abandoned or never even had guano anyway, and the unstocked coal station in Samoa, abandoned midway and the undeveloped pearl harbour.

Question: what happens in Samoa? All to Germany?

Protect the Republic of Venice up into the 20th Century. I don't know how but I want it.

If Napoleon had found a willing puppet to take the Hungarian crown, then the Austrian role in his eventual defeat (presuming that happens) would have been less powerful, and Austria getting Hungary back would be seen as a big gain for the Habsburgs. This could allow a return to pre-annexation status quo in Venetia and the restoration ofthe Venetian Republic.

After playing CK2 I find quite an interesting scenario. What will happen if one of the Byzantine emperors (post great schism) converted to Catholicism. I am not familiar with the history of the area but I think it could be an interesting scenerio. I wonder if he will be deposed or not.

After playing CK2 I find quite an interesting scenario. What will happen if one of the Byzantine emperors (post great schism) converted to Catholicism. I am not familiar with the history of the area but I think it could be an interesting scenerio. I wonder if he will be deposed or not.
My understanding of Byzantine history is very poor but it is my understanding that the Emperor's got deposed quite a lot. So I'd guess probably, and who knows what comes after that.

What is the average population density you'd expect from a premodern pastoralist culture? For instance, I found an estimate of 750,000 ethnic Khitans at the height of the Liao dynasty which using their territorial estimates translates to about one person every six kilometers (0.17/km2). Tannu Tuva in 1918 had about 48,000 Tuvans which translates to about one person every four square kilometers (0.25/km2). Yakutsk Oblast (essentially the modern Sakha Republic) had about 250,000 non-Russians (mostly ethnic Sakha) in 1897 which is about one person every fourteen square kilometers (0.07/km2).

Now the latter three examples would involve modern medicine and far more advanced connections to non-pastoralist societies than historically possible, but is an estimate close to that of the Khitans, maybe 0.15/km2, a good estimate?

Strange question on US Navy ship naming...
In 1869, a man named Adolph Borie served as Secretary of the Navy under President US Grant for a few months... during that time, he had many of the vessels of the US Navy renamed. He disliked the Indian names (which were quite popular), believing them hard-to-pronounce, and replaced them largely with names from Graeco-Roman mythology... many of them frankly seeming more appropriate for the RN :). As soon as he was out of office (that same year), his successor George Robeson promptly changed them most of them back to their original names, or gave them new names altogether.
Does ANYBODY know where to find a full list of the US Navy vessels renamed in 1869?

Strange question on US Navy ship naming...
In 1869, a man named Adolph Borie served as Secretary of the Navy under President US Grant for a few months... during that time, he had many of the vessels of the US Navy renamed. He disliked the Indian names (which were quite popular), believing them hard-to-pronounce, and replaced them largely with names from Graeco-Roman mythology... many of them frankly seeming more appropriate for the RN :). As soon as he was out of office (that same year), his successor George Robeson promptly changed them most of them back to their original names, or gave them new names altogether.
Does ANYBODY know where to find a full list of the US Navy vessels renamed in 1869?
Depends on how hard you are willing to look, in the national archives or navies own archives you could probably find them. If you are looking for an online resources however I have not been able to find one, but Wiki articles for individual ships may have something.

Depends on how hard you are willing to look, in the national archives or navies own archives you could probably find them. If you are looking for an online resources however I have not been able to find one, but Wiki articles for individual ships may have something.
Seems like I found a USN archive page once that had a fairly comprehensive list, but like an idiot I forgot to bookmark it :p The Wiki articles are good, but there were an awful lot of ships and ship classes in commission immediately following the ACW!