Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

What if Corsica had been purchased by some Italian State (Sicily, Sardinia of another) rather than France in 1769 and Napoleon Bonaparte remains Napoleone Buonaparte and through various ways (patronage from a monarch, excellent military schooling, becomes a hero of the nation by winning various battles) becomes the Emperor of an expansionist Italian Empire that combats and defeats Revolutionary France.

What if Corsica had been purchased by some Italian State (Sicily, Sardinia of another) rather than France in 1769 and Napoleon Bonaparte remains Napoleone Buonaparte and through various ways (patronage from a monarch, excellent military schooling, becomes a hero of the nation by winning various battles) becomes the Emperor of an expansionist Italian Empire that combats and defeats Revolutionary France.
You don't even need to have Corsica be bought, just have the declaration of independence in 1755 succeed. That gives you 14 years to have it eaten by another Italian country, or have it be independent for longer for later annexation

Grey Wolf

Donor
In c. 520, Kavad, in order to secure the succession of Khosrow, whose position was threatened by rival brothers and the Mazdakite sect, proposed that Emperor Justin Iadopt him. The proposal was initially greeted with enthusiasm by the Byzantine Emperor and his nephew, Justinian, but Justin's quaestor, Proclus, opposed the move, due to the concern of Khosrow possibly later try to take over the Byzantine throne. The Byzantines instead made a counter-proposal to adopt Khosrow not as a Roman, but a barbarian. In the end the negotiations did not come to a consensus. Khosrow reportedly felt insulted by the Byzantines, and his attitude deteriorated towards them.
What if Emperor Justin had adopted Khosrow in earnest and the future Shah and Justinian ended up becoming friends?

You don't even need to have Corsica be bought, just have the declaration of independence in 1755 succeed. That gives you 14 years to have it eaten by another Italian country, or have it be independent for longer for later annexation
@Tanner151
Thing is, to all intents the 1755 independence DID succeed.
It was not accepted by Genoa who then sold it to France.
Corsica was not strong enough to resist France.

Any other sale would probably have been contested by France who saw Corsica as the key to their southern coast.

How about Carlo Buonaparte returning to Tuscany with his family.
The question then becomes, how does Napoleone get his military training [OTL in France] and what would bring a very minor noble's son with no influence to the fore.

Franklin Pierce's son doesn't die in the pre-inaguration train crash or Pierce or his wife die instead.

Polk doesn't promise to not run for another term.

Edgar Allan Poe keeps his appointment with Robert Tyler (son of President John Tyler) and secures a decent paying government job?

Theodore Roosevelt Sr doesn't die so young?

Charles Guiteau shoots James G. Blaine instead of/ or as well as James Garfield. Or Robert Tood Lincoln stops Guiteau from shooting anyone?

Grey Wolf

Donor
How come the guanaco is the only South American cameloid found across Argentina whilst llamas, alpaca and vicuna seem to be all Chile, Bolivia and Peru?

Could you farm alpaca in Argentina? Does anybody?

- Theodore of Thessalonica doesn't suddenly attack his Bulgarian allies and succeeds in taking Constantinople and eventually makes an alliance with Bulgaria.
- Subjegates the Laskarids by sending the Trebizond fleet to land at Smyrna to draw the army down then blitz down the Hellespont and take the capital by surprise. Rhodes eventually swears for the Emperor and 17 year old Michael, son of Gen. Palailogos is taken as a hostage.
- Allies with the Mongols against the Seljuks and to protect Trebizond. The empire doesn't divide and eventually conquers Egypt. Hulagu Khan (successor to Mingle Khan) killed in mutiny crossing the Sahara and that causes the Mongol civil war.
- Portugal wins the Battle of Toro in 1475. Alfonso and Joanna eventually have a son Alfonso who is named Alfonso XII/VI. John II rebels and fails and flee to his brother in law Richard III.
- Columbus is accepted by Alfonso V in 1485 but is killed in a mutiny and eventually de Gama rounds the Cape of Good Hope.
- Granada survives and has to defend against Aragon who also take Algeria and Tunisia.
- Alexios Komnenos dies at Dyrrhachium instead of Konstantios Doukas. There is no Komnenid Restoration. The Normans conquer northern Greece before stopping to defeat the Pechenegs with the Byzantines and Cumans. They then sack Constantinople when they don't get paid and establish the Romanian Empire. Konstantius (as the son of Constantine X) then declares himself Emperor of Morea as Constantius IV.

Grey Wolf

Donor
How come the guanaco is the only South American cameloid found across Argentina whilst llamas, alpaca and vicuna seem to be all Chile, Bolivia and Peru?

Well given there are alpaca farms these days in places like Shropshire and Sussex I guess it comes down to will. The alpaca CAN live at high altitudes but presumably do not NEED to. What confuses me about the Argentine is that the guanaco is listed as mostly wild, so what there seems to be a lack of is actualy cameloid husbandry, rather than simply alpaca farming?

So, I've been thinking about advancing weapons technology/ tactics for a war occurring around the 1870s/1880s, and I have something of a two part question:
1. Volley sights- were they totally useless? a good idea that never got its chance to shine? Potentially useful but only in some specific circumstance that never popped up OTL (and what circumstance would they need to succeed?)?
2. In WW2, the British Home Guard manuals called for squads lacking machine guns to use three or four riflemen grouped together to provide quick, aimed shots to create a beaten zone/base of fire to replace a machine gun. Would this have been a viable way to get modern(ish) platoon tactics into an army operating before widespread machine gun use (say 1870s-1890s era.)? Or was it a terrible idea, or somehow dependent on other WW2 technology to work?
(Just to cite my source, the manual is Home Guard Instructions No. 51, and I read about it here: Arming the British Home Guard)

Bytor

Monthly Donor

I'd guess because Argentina was colonised from Rio de la Plata bay in the east where no cameloids live (guanacos are found in the south, in Patagonia, not north of the Rio Negro) and by the time they encountered it cattle farming from the Spanish central plateau was already well established.

Last edited:
Do you think the Polynesian/Melanesian/Micronesian would be able to join the SE Asian trade? (around 1300, Tonga Empire)
If you think so, what would be their incentives? A development of maritime transaction in Asia that attain Oceania? An attempt of invasion from another country?
Would they join as traders between third parties or export some unique products?

Bytor

Monthly Donor
Anybody got a favourite "Dis-United States" ATL threads they'd like to recommend? I need a list of things to read on my transit ride to and from work.

Anybody got a favourite "Dis-United States" ATL threads they'd like to recommend? I need a list of things to read on my transit ride to and from work.
Obviously the "What Madness Is This" threads.
I'd say my own project (Jefferson's Anti-Slavery Crisis) since it features the Southern states dropping out of the Continental Congress due to anti-slavery language in the US Consitution. Link Below.
Other than that I'm not so sure.

What if naval technology had advanced to the age of sail levels but gunpowder hadn't progressed into cannons? Would galleys have some scorpions in their holds instead of cannons and still fought in lines of battle, or would ship design evolve to somehow maintain ramming ability? Or would there be a divide between dromonds designed for war that can ram and trade galleys meant to travel quickly?

Note: I'm not particularly versed in naval terminology or naval combat in any era, so apologies for any confusing/inaccurate word usage or other misunderstandings on my part

What if naval technology had advanced to the age of sail levels but gunpowder hadn't progressed into cannons? Would galleys have some scorpions in their holds instead of cannons and still fought in lines of battle, or would ship design evolve to somehow maintain ramming ability? Or would there be a divide between dromonds designed for war that can ram and trade galleys meant to travel quickly?

Note: I'm not particularly versed in naval terminology or naval combat in any era, so apologies for any confusing/inaccurate word usage or other misunderstandings on my part
Scorpions probably. Sails + ramming doesn't work well.

Bytor

Monthly Donor
Obviously the "What Madness Is This" threads.
I'd say my own project (Jefferson's Anti-Slavery Crisis) since it features the Southern states dropping out of the Continental Congress due to anti-slavery language in the US Consitution. Link Below.
Other than that I'm not so sure.

I'll certainly look at yours, but I apologise for being ambiguous. I was thinking of one where they rebellious states never go past the Articles of Confederation to make a united constitution and end up separate nations, instead of something where the USA breaks apart.

I'll certainly look at yours, but I apologise for being ambiguous. I was thinking of one where they rebellious states never go past the Articles of Confederation to make a united constitution and end up separate nations, instead of something where the USA breaks apart.
Hmm. So you're looking at "Never get the US Constitution"? What Madness Is This threads also works because US Constitution didn't pass and the states
"God Save These American States" might also work (?)
"American Oddity" could also work?
"A More Imperfect Union; A history of these United States" could work.