Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

Not entirely true. In the movie There were a few other greeks assisting.

"They fight. They are sloppy, they are undisciplined, more like tavern brawlers than soldiers. But they get the job done."

Anyways. I'm here to talk about an Idea that Lavie Tidhar mentioned in his book Unholy Land. Where the protagonists father goes a bit nuts from the revelation that Alternate Realities exist. One of the realities he claims to have visited is one where "Moses became Pharoah" . . . and as ridiculous and even blasphemous as that idea sounds, I think it's quite interesting.
That could have been an alternate version of "Prince of Egypt" (Dreamworks) but is not likely to happen at all (plus, there is very little evidence of the Jewish captivity in Egypt tbh).

Bytor

Monthly Donor
Thanks, is there any way the french and british populations could have grown at the same speed? due to something like the explosive population growth after the second world war?

They did, pretty much, just 70 years earlier, when they industrialised. Germany was just a late bloomer.

What language did the majority of the population of Roman Britain speak in the third century ad? Celtic speakers or Romance speakers?

Can any Native American society make contact with the Old World? My TL is stalled at the minute because I'm unclear if, say a Tingit>Ezochi contact can occur. I'm Imagining the Tingit establishing contact but as that didn't happen OTL I Imagine there's some reason it didn't?

Can any Native American society make contact with the Old World? My TL is stalled at the minute because I'm unclear if, say a Tingit>Ezochi contact can occur. I'm Imagining the Tingit establishing contact but as that didn't happen OTL I Imagine there's some reason it didn't?
It's a very long journey from the Tlingit homeland to even the closest parts of Siberia, let alone Ainu lands. You'd need them to have a more maritime (even more than OTL) and some real demographic advantages (which probably comes with that, since more/better seafaring equals more fishing resources, more sealing, and perhaps whaling too).

The main Old World-New World trade there was sporadic contact between the Yupiks and Inuit across the Bering Strait. Iron goods occasionally crossed to the New World this way. The Tlingits were in contact with the Yupiks, they thought them as primitive (the exonym in Tlingit means "bone in the nose" and is just as dismissive/derogatory as that phrase is in English), but still treated them as useful trading partners. They valued them as a source of walrus ivory.

Basically you need the Tlingits to become the "Taino of Alaska" so to speak, and to do so they'd probably need sails (from reeds or Indian hemp, the former attested OTL in the PNW but was inspired from European ships) or otherwise serious innovations in their shipbuilding. In this case, I think they absolutely could contact the Old World given enough time (although Hokkaido is a serious stretch, Kamchatka would be doable) but their culture would fundamentally change, especially those who'd inevitably settle in the harsh lands of the Aleutians.

The Tingit I picked at random but was thinking a Northwest>Northwest>Southwest route, as in Vancouver Island>Alaskan Peninsula>Kamcatca>Hokkaido following the coast as long as possible rather than going a direct ocean route. As you mentioned this would need them to have a higher population through which more innovation would arise. A direct ocean route will probably occur for the return trip from Hokkaido as the wind currents would be with the sails rather than against them.

The Tingit I picked at random but was thinking a Northwest>Northwest>Southwest route, as in Vancouver Island>Alaskan Peninsula>Kamcatca>Hokkaido following the coast as long as possible rather than going a direct ocean route. As you mentioned this would need them to have a higher population through which more innovation would arise. A direct ocean route will probably occur for the return trip from Hokkaido as the wind currents would be with the sails rather than against them.
Most of the cultures between Vancouver Island and the Alaska Peninsula are culturally similar, although I'd think the Tlingit would have the best chance since they're the closest. It'll likely be shared innovations anyway though so the Tsimshians, Haida, and others will have it sooner or later.

That's the route I was thinking of. Although on the way back the sea currents are favorable thanks to the ocean gyre.

Grey Wolf

Donor
I am a bit confused - James, Duke of York was awarded New York after it was taken from the Dutch, but at the same time Charles II was working to form all of New England into the dominion of New England, which was continued by James upon his accession to the throne as James II...
... So what was James' role in New York, did it come to an end, did he happily relinquish it, or if he had not become king would it somehow have survived his brother's schemes?

@VVD0D95

@Grey Wolf
From wikipedia: The colony was one of the Middle Colonies, and ruled at first directly from England. When James ascended to the throne of England as James II, the province became a royal colony.
It was initially a proprietary colony then later a royal colony. Essentially James was first the ruler of NY (which encompassed far more than the later State), able to decide how he ruled, subject only to the king (Charles II). When he became James VII, since he was now the king the colony couldn't be a proprietary colony anymore so became a royal colony, subject only to the crown (i.e. him). Most proprietary colonies were removed from their proprietors, once they'd become more established, and taken under the crown as royal colonies - NY didn't need to be 'removed' from its proprietor due to his accession to the throne.
At least that's my understanding... I'm sure others can give more complete information.

'Romans With Concept Of Zero'. As in, they give zero its own numerical designation, rather than merely think of it as nothing instead of also viewing it as a mathematical idea.

If the Second French Empire had not suffered from the Franco-Prussian War, etc. who would have been emperor after Napoleon III? (And after that, and after that, and after that...)