Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

France famously came to terms with the Protestant Hugenots (for awhile at least) so one assumes that some of them fought for the crown during one of the many wars in the 1700s.
As for England, on the Mary Rose they found rosaries from the crew. And this was at a time when Catholicism was heavily opposed. So I would assume many Catholics would serve in various capacities in later peiods. Just not openly aa catholics. But rather closet Catholics I would imagine.

What if Xerxes, King of Kings of Persia is really a bald man who wears a lot of golden bling while being almost naked all the time? Just like what he is depicted in 300?

7e1a52fa9a6f240f7781f21de2fe0119.jpg

No this is not ASB, there is no magic, no significant alternations to Persian cultures and soldiers, and definitely no other 300 elements getting into. It was just Xerxes' personal Fashion Statement, and the Achaemenid Aristocrats and Military under him just basically said a collective "Ehhh?" shook their heads, but let their King of Kings having his own bold Fashion Statement.

And yes, ITTL, we knew this because King Xerxes in all accounts about him (Persian, Greeks, etc) is always being noted as a scantily clad bald man with a lot of things, even and especially in relief and paintings, but he also oversaw the somewhat successful Military Campaigns as well as the Building projects his OTL self has also done.

Bonus points if some future Persian Kings adopt his fashion statement as well, not always being boring long bearded long haired guys.

So there will be two versions of "acceptable" Persian Noble style, one is standard like OTL, and the other wearing speedo and brings.

Add: This is not ASB, Kings and Emperors have gotten away with worse in Antiquity and Medieval Period, lets assume aside of the weird fashion, Xerxes stayed just as competent as his OTL self.

That's very funny. 300 was a fun movie, but historically it was just stupid. Mutant Trolls, the 10,000 immortal Orcs, Spartan politics, and strategy, Spartans fighting in loincloths, breaking formation, no other Greeks fighting at the pass, no navy, (They needed a second movie for that). God help anyone trying to learn any history from that movie.

Grey Wolf

Donor
From my reading years ago, Britain ceded an area in the Dakotas region to the USA? I thought "Red River basin" but am having trouble locating this online now, and its not listed among territorial disputes I can find. But I am sure it is somewhere out there if someone can remind me of when and exactly what was ceded and why? Thanks

Conlang question:
What would the Latinized name for Dharmapala Vajrapani from Sanskrit look like?
I know that some Latinized names in India came from the Greek ones (i;e Chandragupta - Sandrokottos - Androcottus) so maybe something based on Ntármapala Batzrapáni/Vatzrapáni (Ντάρμαπαλα Βατζραπάνι) could work? Just to note I don't know what "-pala" would be in Greek but I could find Dharma and Vajrapāni so if there's some alternate way of writing it then I'm not sure.
Edit: Apparently "Ντ/Nt" is also pronounced /d/ so Ntarma is just pronounced "Darma"

Last edited:

Grey Wolf

Donor
From my reading years ago, Britain ceded an area in the Dakotas region to the USA? I thought "Red River basin" but am having trouble locating this online now, and its not listed among territorial disputes I can find. But I am sure it is somewhere out there if someone can remind me of when and exactly what was ceded and why? Thanks

Ah it's part of the 1818 treaty and comes with a nice map

Bytor

Monthly Donor
Does anyone know why the german population grew so exponentially between 1870 and 1900? and why did that not happen in other countries?
Because France and England had their growth spurts in the first half of the 19th century. Industrialisation and better farming, basically.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Did Louis XIII have different wedding plans than OTL for his sons, Louis XIV and Philippe d'Orléans?

Well, weren't they little kids when he died?

Mazarin toyed with the idea of allowing his niece to marry Louis XIV, who was infatuated (at least) with her, but the Queen dowager (Louis XIII's widow and Louis XIV's mum) was dead set against this

Well, weren't they little kids when he died?

Mazarin toyed with the idea of allowing his niece to marry Louis XIV, who was infatuated (at least) with her, but the Queen dowager (Louis XIII's widow and Louis XIV's mum) was dead set against this
Louis XIII had no grandchildren when he died, in 1643 Louis XIV the eldest was only 5 years old. I didn't know about this plan to marry Mazarin's niece, which is very interesting.

Because France and England had their growth spurts in the first half of the 19th century. Industrialisation and better farming, basically.

Thanks, is there any way the french and british populations could have grown at the same speed? due to something like the explosive population growth after the second world war?

Last edited:

Deleted member 103950

no other Greeks fighting at the pass,

Not entirely true. In the movie There were a few other greeks assisting.

"They fight. They are sloppy, they are undisciplined, more like tavern brawlers than soldiers. But they get the job done."

Anyways. I'm here to talk about an Idea that Lavie Tidhar mentioned in his book Unholy Land. Where the protagonists father goes a bit nuts from the revelation that Alternate Realities exist. One of the realities he claims to have visited is one where "Moses became Pharoah" . . . and as ridiculous and even blasphemous as that idea sounds, I think it's quite interesting.