Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

The Dux was the military commander of a province, and provinces contained counties, not the other way 'round. So when such military positions evolved in to hereditary nobility in the early Middle Ages, the duke was higher than the count.
That doesn't make sense. i know there were several counts that where the top military commander of a province, or sometimes several provinces along a particular front

It is often the case that people on this forum have miscellaneous or frivolous questions that could be easily answered by the many experts on this forum but are difficult to find the answer to on Google Scholar/Books or Wikipedia because they don't often deal in alternatives.

There are other cases where people have miscellaneous or frivolous scenarios or challenges that they want to share about an idea they encountered that could perhaps provoke inspiration in other users but isn't deserving enough to be posted as a thread on its own.

These issues have been addressed in the Shared Worlds and ASB forums but haven't been dealt with here.

This thread is intended to be a resource for those with questions about a timeline they want to construct which are minor and undeserving of their own thread, and a place to share ideas that people don't have time, skill or knowledge to write themselves.
Could a Mormon monarchy have been possible?

Which element would have bigger impact if discovered earlier? Titanium was discovered in 1791.. But if it was discovered earlier.. Maybe it finds use for ships or cuirassier's armor?

I imagine a conflict in the second half of the 17th century when France and the Netherlands were allied and secularized the bishoprics of Liege and Munster respectively. How realistic is that? Would there be virulent opponents like the pope or the Holy Empire?

Deleted member 114175

I imagine a conflict in the second half of the 17th century when France and the Netherlands were allied and secularized the bishoprics of Liege and Munster respectively. How realistic is that? Would there be virulent opponents like the pope or the Holy Empire?
In general, secularizing a bishopric in the second half of the 17th century would have been less contentious than in the first half. But Münster specifically, as the site where the Treaty of Westphalia was signed, also guaranteed Catholic by the same treaty, would probably lead to a massive war between France and Netherlands and the Holy Roman Empire.

Having become a Romaboo recently, what ifs where short-lived, short-ruled emperors get longer time to rule excites me. Imagine a longer reign for Titus or Aurelian. Or if Galba actually picked Otho as his heir and we saw them win the civil war and start a dynasty.

Having become a Romaboo recently, what ifs where short-lived, short-ruled emperors get longer time to rule excites me. Imagine a longer reign for Titus or Aurelian. Or if Galba actually picked Otho as his heir and we saw them win the civil war and start a dynasty.

I did something similar and this happened.

Emperor Carus isn't struck by lightning preventing the rise of Diocletian especially after Numerian dies and Diocles is accused of his murder and executed. Armenia and Mesopotamia are conquered then Carus returns to Rome. Carinus kills his father before he can disinherit him but he's killed by the army within the year and the barracks emperors begin again.

Bytor

Monthly Donor
If Napoleon Bonaparte were somewhat less arrogant, or perhaps had a little more self-reflective capabilities such that he would know when enough is enough, what do you think the maximal extent of French holdings could he stop conquering at and stay put and there would not be another Nᵗʰ coalition put together to stop him?

Bytor

Monthly Donor
Is there already a TL about a marriage between Charlemagne and Roman Empress Irene?
I was thinking of writing something on it...

Even if there is, do your own - you might/probably have different ideas as to what butterflies are reasonable or possible.

Were there catholics in the British Army in the 18th century? and protestants in the French Army in the same time frame? Curious.
well given the number of Irish soldiers in the British forces obviously quite a few Catholics., and France does have protestants. It is worth noting that there were a number of actual French citizens in British ships at Trafalgar for eg,

Hi all I have just been reading online regarding the Reconquista of Spain and the subsequent forced conversions of Jews and Muslims and the blurb I read said that many emigrated to the New world to escape prejudice, has anyone ever seen a timeline where a portion of or whole colony has a majority converso elite/military population that allies with say the Maya or another group then reaches for independence and reverts to Judaism and Islam? I writing a new world timeline where this might come to place so....... lol

Hi all I have just been reading online regarding the Reconquista of Spain and the subsequent forced conversions of Jews and Muslims and the blurb I read said that many emigrated to the New world to escape prejudice, has anyone ever seen a timeline where a portion of or whole colony has a majority converso elite/military population that allies with say the Maya or another group then reaches for independence and reverts to Judaism and Islam? I writing a new world timeline where this might come to place so....... lol
eh ..the spanish where relgious fanatics in their collonies as well , here not far from lima there is a place where african slaves worshiped their gods via hidding it as catholic symbols in fear of spanish persecution
the inti raymi and other inca and pre spanish celebrations where prohibited and shuned, so really border line abs as the spanish would not tolerate it and by the time the spanish are weakend by 1700s by that point everyone would be catholic