Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

Would a "humanity never crosses the Bering Strait" timeline work or is it too ASB to keep any history consistent? Because I legitimately wonder what Europeans would do with two completely unpopulated continents
More slaves from africa and alot earlier most likely. Gotta have someone to work the salt mines and cotton fields.
On a less sombre note I imagine new names for alot of stuff that did not involve already existing local names. More new this and Nuevo that. But a pretty ASB thing I would say.

Would a "humanity never crosses the Bering Strait" timeline work or is it too ASB to keep any history consistent? Because I legitimately wonder what Europeans would do with two completely unpopulated continents
I don't really think both Americas would be uninhabitable for a very long time as I thought there would still be a series of migrations from Siberia, particularly from Ob-Irtysh-Yenisei region; the only difference was that the ATL version of Paleo-Eskimos (ancestors of Na-Dené possibly included) were a little bit advanced than OTL as they adapted a semi-nomadic lifestyle, complementing reindeer/caribou/ruminant domestication with hunting and seed gathering (until agriculture would gradually in some areas). However, I personally thought if such scenario was strong enough to be plausible.

There's evidence that only a relatively small amount of people crossed the Bering Straight to become the ancestors of the Paleo-Indians (though it's becoming increasingly more accepted that there were people in the Americas before the Clovis Culture, though even so there wasn't a large amount), so you could easily have them die during the crossing and nothing would really affect the Old World (unless you really believe in the chaos theory). You'd also have to butterfly the Na-Dene and Eskimo-Aleut migrations too, though again there wasn't a large amount of people in those cases either.

After all, this is alternate history, and if you really want to write a timeline about it, go for it. It's definitely an interesting premise, and we haven't had a timeline that tackles the scenario in a while.

The Curse of George III

George III had many children but by 1800, only a handful are married and he has only one legitimate grandchild - over the years more will follow. But then Charlotte dies in childbirth, Elizabeth of Clarence suffers from an intro-susception of the bowels, Alexandrine of York dies of a severe fever in Ramsgate, George of Cumberland first goes blind and then dies in a riding accident, the Duke of Cambridges children live longer - but George of Cambridge dies whilst on duty in the army, with Augusta and Mary Adelaide both dying in childbirth like their cousin Charlotte.

The crown cycles through the children of George III ...

1820 - 1830 : George IV
1830 - 1837 : William IV
1837 - 1851 : Ernest
1851 - 1857 : Mary III

At which point, the crown passes down to the issue of George III's eldest sister, Princess Augusta ...

The House of Brunswick-Bevern

1857 - 1873 : Charles III
1873 - 1884 : William V

The House of Wurttemburg

1884 - 1891 : Charles IV
1891 - 1898 : Catherine
1898 - 1921 : William VI
1921 - 1965 : Pauline
1965 - 2000 : William VII
2000 - 2015 : Frederick
2015 - Present : Frederick II

As a 8th generational descendant of Goerge III The Mad King threw a non consenting marriage, i find this a very interesting idea,

First a question what does ASB mean stupid question i know butmim bad with acronyms
It is an acronym meaning alien space bats. It comes from a timeline where hitler won ww2 with the help of said space bats and has come to mean a timeline or point of divergance that is so impossable or improbable that it requires magic to happen.

Does anyone have any info regarding the history of floods in the Mississippi River? For example, is there a cycle or pattern, or are flood just random occurrences? I know that there was a very destructive period of flooding starting around 1300 BC that led to the end of the Poverty Point Culture and the region was depopulated until around 800 BC, but what happened after that?

An idea -

Pride and Politics

Following the fictional character as he is made MP for Lambton, Derbyshire, in 1800, and his escalation to Prime Minister and to Downing Street.

Jane Austen meets West Wing meets The Politician against the real world politics of the time.

Suppose the German Brothers War does indeed end up with much of Cisleithania annexed to the new Germany (sans Dalmatia, Bukovina, and Galicia) while Hungary remains independent. Assuming they allow the Habsburgs to continue to rule, how would that go? I'm guessing that Franz Josef would probably abdicate with Rudolf gaining the still-independent Kingdom of Hungary (if they can keep it) while Karl Ludwig would gain the Kingdom of Austria-Bohemia or whatever Cisleithania becomes within the German Empire. Is that accurate to the best of our knowledge or is it really just a guessing game?

An idea -

Pride and Politics

Following the fictional character as he is made MP for Lambton, Derbyshire, in 1800, and his escalation to Prime Minister and to Downing Street.

Jane Austen meets West Wing meets The Politician against the real world politics of the time.

Why ruin a perfectly good story by introducing politics?

Zombies are fine, everything gets more interesting with zombies, but politics?

So lately I’ve been reading some Civil War timelines, mainly TastySpam’s Dixieland: The Country of Tomorrow, Everyday and thekingsguard’s To Live and Die in Dixie (just started this one) and have become fascinated by the idea of a alt-American Civil War and the butterflies that would cause.

So before I explain some more about the timeline (see below) could an American Civil War have erupted in the 1810s?

The premise to the scenario mentioned is this:

Washington dies in the early weeks of the 1787 Constitutional Convention due to spoiled meat in a soup (lame PoD that needs changing I’m sure) and as a result of the two sides (Federalists and Anti-Federalists) dividing many, the Convention selects Patrick Henry to become the Second President of the Convention. This is done because at this time Henry abstaining from the Convention has many see him as a neutral third party though it was later revealed he had Anti-Federalist sympathies while Washington had Federalist leanings.

Nonetheless with Henry at the helm the Convention takes much longer, is more divisive, and peaks with Hamilton and Burr having their infamous duel years earlier than OTL with Hamilton still dying.

Eventually the U.S. Constitution is created and sent to the states for ratification but it is a slightly different beast than OTL. The Executive is known as the Premier (Head of State) with a First Secretary to lead the Cabinet (Head of Government) and a Deputy Premier to direct the unicameral Senate. (Each state receives 3 votes aka 3 Senators).

Congress has extended powers though I don’t know to what degree yet.

Judicial is relatively unchanged.

The United States’ federal government is less powerful than OTL but something was needed that was more effective than the Articles of Confederation. Since many delegates went to the Convention to amend the Articles I feel like a desire for a less powerful central government would be desirable, especially with a Anti-Federalist/Articles sympathizer at the helm.

I have it right now that Patrick Henry becomes Premier (popular vote) and he has a single seven year term beginning in 1790 with Jefferson following as second premier.

The Civil War breaks out in 1812 and lasts until 1817. The South does secede for many of the same reasons as OTL.

A Union politician comes to power with the intent of centralizing and strengthening federal power which terrifies the South. They see their state rights and slavery as being threatened and go to war.

Idk who would be the initial Confederate President but I’d like for Andrew Jackson and John C. Calhoun be two of the future Confederate Presidents.

Anyway the South and the North fight each other to a draw, the Southern armies led by Andrew Jackson who goes from Colonel to Lieutenant General throughout the War.

Also due to a weaker central government and a different head of state at the time, the Louisiana Purchase is not purchased as the U.S. does not have the money, not the desire or political unity to do so. Instead the territory breaks away from Spain in 1821 and forms its own government that are rivals to Mexico and the U.S.

The Unorganized Territories do become states but the U.S. does not advance past their pre-1804 OTL borders.

Anyway the American Civil War is very bloody and the South survives and is able to bring the North to the peace table due to the war having no end in sight.

Ironically enough the South creates a strong central government despite that being a major reason why the war happened.

Various other things happen across the world, such as Germany never unifying but being divided into North Germany (the Prussian Empire) and South Germany (Bavarian Empire).

Prussia creates a fairly substantial colonial empire. Prussia and Russia become allies. Austria and Bavaria dislike Prussia but Bavaria allies with France and Britain. Austria remains neutral ITTL version of the Great War as it is a ethnic and political mess and is undergoing massive reforms to even exist.

How does this sound overall? It’s all very bare bones and I am not well-informed on Post-Revolutionary War/Antebellum USA. But is it at least interesting?

The links to the aforementioned timelines. Both are incredible, check them out!

https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...w-everyday-yet-another-confederate-tl.461747/

https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...e-in-dixie-a-communist-confederacy-tl.471027/

Totally ASB from the start to the end...

Thanks, yeah, Don CArlos was insane but probably not enough to cause that much of a mess. Could mods move it to the right forum - it can be tricky with my limited vision to know if I'm in the right forum, though I generally do well with commenting on posts.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Getting this idea out so I can let someone else write the TL - it was my 2nd choice for when I did "The Mighty Houses Have Struck Out" but way too much of a dystopia befoer things bget better. It's sort of like Al HIstory Buff's type but starts a bit further back.

Don Carlos kills PHilip II instead of Philip killing him, and therefore becomes Carlos II of Spain in 1567. Isabella Clara is sent to the Spanish Netherlands with very few servants in the hopes she'll either become Queen under a regent or be killed or die of some childhood disease; the murder sends the queen into shock so she goes into labor early and the child doesn't survive. He marries her but she doies soon after.

Carlos II's lust for power grows, and with Emperor Maximilian's oldest son, Rudolf, and all the other boys in the spanish court or soon to come, they become his next tarfgets, even as Maximilian's daughter Anna travels to Spain to become Carlos II's wife. Eventually, the insane king becomes even more insane and Maximlian's sons all die in prison, because the emperor doesn't support Carlos II's radical solution of starting up the Catholic League early and basicaly annihilating all the Protestants in France and everywhere.

Basically, the 30 Years War starts early, and he even meddles in the Ottoman Empire, with agents assassinating the Sultan and a civil war begins there, too. A 3-way war erupts between Carlos and his Catholic League and one of the Ottoman sides, more moderate Catholics as they try to keep Carlos II from killing everyone and becoming ruler of all Hapsburg lands in his lust for power, and Protestants and the other Ottoman side.

the war starts winding down when, in 1585, Carlos II is so mad at the Church for excommunicating him that when the Pope dies, the conclave lasts long enough that he has time to sneak people in to burn the building down, killing all the Cardinals present. Only 7-9 remain alive, having not attended. (One Cardinal of OTL, one of Maximilian's sons, who didn't attend died at Carlos'' hands earleir.)

This turns the time as the more moderate Catholics rise up against the Catholic League and ally with the Protestants. Riots among the people in Catholic League areas wind up killing 2 of the cardinals who who were said to support Carlos, the heads of the Inquisition in two separate Spanish towns.

Meanwhile, the 7 or so Cardinals remaining (Charles X of France, Cardinal Borbon, is still at war in France) meet in secret in Krakow or someplace else safe and elect a cardinal who didn't attend and who has been involved in a guerilla movement to rescue people from Carlos II ever since his arrival at the Unviersity of Madrid soon before Philip II's death, Simeon Tagliavia d’Aragonia. The new Pope declares a time of peace where Europe must rebuild from the ravages of war - Carlos II tried to have armies of almost half a million under his control. though some of those wound up turning against him, and the riots cause Spain to go up in flames, too, and suffer the same ravage of war as the other countries.

Isabella Clara, who has made many friends with the Protestants and has been protected by them, especially when she was a little girl, becomes Queen of Spain, while the Prince of Conde - who has married Catherine of Borbon after she becomes Queen of Navarre with Henry being assassinated years earlier - has a child who succeeds Charles X, who abdicates since he will not have any children and instead serves as one of the REgents till his death. France and Navarre are thus united.

Isabella Clara, with no more male Hapsburgs left - or precious few - leads Spain to let Portugal and the Netherlands go and focus on a much more compassionte Empire, where - as she proclaims upon her coronation - "all men are created equal." Absolute monarchy, given Carlos II's brutality, is frowned upon as more people begin to realize the king "must never be above the law," and must instead be held accountable for crimes. The brutality of Carlos II and his militaries eliminated as Europe (and the Ottomans whose civil war continues for several years - whether this spreads to China and Japan and India is uncertain but Carlos II's lust for power after getting away with killing the king, and with how insane he was to begin with, might make it happen) recovers slowly from this war, and the slave trade - which has been strangled in its infancy thanks to the incredible disruption in trade and slave revolts encouraged by the English - never really starts back up. European colonization occurs much slower, especially in Southern North America, but it is a much more egalitarian one where the rights of natives - who fought alongside Europeans after being brought over in several major battles - being seen as maybe not equals, but with a lot less disdain than OTL. Africans are treated in a similar manner, and only indentured servitude is practiced.

There, the idea is now out of my brain and on paper - well, computer - so I don't need to consider it anymore. THe pointis that after a horrible ddesuge -, a abetter society can emerge from the ashes, but it would cause at least as much damage as OTL's 30 Years' War.
Can't move it because it isn't a thread.

Does anyone have any information on Norway in the 16th century, more specifically on the Riksrad and its members? In addition, information on Trondheim (Nidaros) would be useful.

It is an acronym meaning alien space bats. It comes from a timeline where hitler won ww2 with the help of said space bats and has come to mean a timeline or point of divergance that is so impossable or improbable that it requires magic to happen.
Do you have a link to this story?

Random thought I just had: if there were a sort of ‘American Union’ in the early 19th century, perhaps just a common market or customs union, it would be entirely reasonable for it to be called something like the Confederate States of America, and a plausible flag would be some sort of combination of the Burgundian Cross (for the various Latin American Republics) and the Stars and Stripes - looking very much like the CSA battle flag.

Not commenting of the plausibility of such a union. Just the idea popped into my head and I find the possible convergence very amusing.