Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

If I recall, no idea where it comes from, the USN had the ships yes. But few of them spent much time at sea. The navy also did not have the funding properly man them and also had few officers to command them. It also would likely be an issue that the US fleet rarely practiced the tactics that would be used in a fleet action, in a hypothetal war with Spain the US ships would likely make some hilarious blunders. Eventually they would learn, and sheer weight of numbers would likely still hand them a victory. But it would be interesting to see regardless.

Fair enough point, though I would merely offer that, say, unlike France post-Trafalgar, the United States has a huge supply of experienced New England sailors. They can survive the early blunders and easily fill losses.

Fair enough point, though I would merely offer that, say, unlike France post-Trafalgar, the United States has a huge supply of experienced New England sailors. They can survive the early blunders and easily fill losses.
I think the issue is more of steering the ships in a tight formation and firing the guns, something a merchant sailor would have little experience in. With training that would not be an issue. But until that kicked in blunders would likely be made.

Would it be possible for Siberian wheatgrass to be farmed on a large scale? How large of a civilisation could potentially form with such a crop?

if the Paris Commune succeeded, what would happen to colonies like Africa (bar Algeria I've got plans in some of the AH stuff I'm doing) and Indochina? Would the Communards want to keep them or would they be gobbled or turn back into independent states?

What if the Achaean War doesn't happen... Would be possible to avoid it, with the consequently Tebas and Corinth sack, and somewhat keep the Achaean League existence or the Senate was fully determined to provoke/force a war to disband/dissolute it and finalising the conquest of Graecia while get great opportunities to loot?

What would a surviving Vandal Kingdom call itself? Obviously not "Regnum Vandalorum et Alanorum", the same way that we no longer call Spain "Regnum Gothorum" or France "Regnum Francorum"

That is one of the names Spain took but I mean what would the Vandal Kingdom be called?
Apologies,I don't know why I miss read Vandal as Visigothic :oops:

But, for try to answer your question, I guess that their name would be Geographical based as in the ,up posted examples,e.g. Africanus Vandalorum regnum or perhaps Regnum Carthago.

Why was Charles I of Hungary excluded from Neapolitan succession?

Well, I've found out. There were many fears of an Aragonese Invasion of Sicily, and a 7-year-old King wasn't the best bet, so they skipped Charles Robert and Louis (He was bishop) to Robert (Who would go on to become the greatest of the Angevin Kings).

if the Paris Commune succeeded, what would happen to colonies like Africa (bar Algeria I've got plans in some of the AH stuff I'm doing) and Indochina? Would the Communards want to keep them or would they be gobbled or turn back into independent states?
The Communards would probably have much stuff to do in France Proper, I don't think they'd be able to enforce their control on Indochina or their Carribean and African territories, the latter probably being sucked up by the US or the British while the former probably returning to become independent, at least for some time.

So I was thinking back on a discussion a couple years ago - basically, what if the son of Tiberius killed Sejanus, and divorced his wife who was sleeping with him, instead of dying to their machinations - and one idea that came up that we all pretty much instantly jumped on is that the Emperor would has his now single heir make up for this political complication by using his new single status to solve another thorn his side, and marry Agrippina the Elder.

We all agreed it tied everything up in a fairly nice bow - until I looked a little closer just now and realized, Agrippina was actually Drusus the Younger's aunt* - and while I'm not sure how that affects things plausibility wise, it does still feel a little weird to look back and realize a number of us were getting really excited about the AH potential of... a pretty incestuous pairing. Then again, if @vandevere or @SlyDessertFox thought it perfectly plausible, I could well just be thinking too much into this.

EDIT ADD: And @Matteo

*since the latter's mother was her half-sister, eldest daughter of Agrippa himself

Last edited:
It's a possibility, although I'm not sure Roman Society would entirely approve of such close relations marrying. The upper strata of society were still rather conservative in that area, although it's just possible it might be accepted.

If accepted, it might possibly have worked, to a greater or lesser degree. The one thing I know for certain about Agrippina is that she was AMBITIOUS!

How would the fall of Rome pan out if Christ was never born?

That's an extremely broad question. Do you mean politically, religously, etc? No Christianity means at the very least Theodosius never proclaims it to be the religion of the Empire, leading Arcadius and Honorious to have the ability to promote rival religions in each half. That assumes a huge butterfly net though

That's an extremely broad question. Do you mean politically, religously, etc? No Christianity means at the very least Theodosius never proclaims it to be the religion of the Empire, leading Arcadius and Honorious to have the ability to promote rival religions in each half. That assumes a huge butterfly net though

I should have specified, I meant linguistically and culturally

So I was thinking back on a discussion a couple years ago - basically, what if the son of Tiberius killed Sejanus, and divorced his wife who was sleeping with him, instead of dying to their machinations - and one idea that came up that we all pretty much instantly jumped on is that the Emperor would has his now single heir make up for this political complication by using his new single status to solve another thorn his side, and marry Agrippina the Elder.

We all agreed it tied everything up in a fairly nice bow - until I looked a little closer just now and realized, Agrippina was actually Drusus the Younger's aunt* - and while I'm not sure how that affects things plausibility wise, it does still feel a little weird to look back and realize a number of us were getting really excited about the AH potential of... a pretty incestuous pairing. Then again, if @vandevere or @SlyDessertFox thought it perfectly plausible, I could well just be thinking too much into this.

EDIT ADD: And @Matteo

*since the latter's mother was her half-sister, eldest daughter of Agrippa himself
Pretty ASB as Agrippina do not wished remarry, such wedding was illegal in Rome, Claudius years later had more than enough trouble in marrying his niece (who was also illegal so he needed to change the laws). Plus Agrippina was not only Drusus’ half-aunt but also sister-in-law of both Drusus and his wife (as the late Germanicus was blood brother of Livilla and adoptive brother and cousin of Drusus himself)... A match between them would be illegal and too much complicated plus would need to be forced upon at least Agrippina so is pretty unlikely who Tiberius will go for it...

Would a "humanity never crosses the Bering Strait" timeline work or is it too ASB to keep any history consistent? Because I legitimately wonder what Europeans would do with two completely unpopulated continents