Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

Not sure if the worse yellow fever one is a "natural causes" one (and "natural causes" like diseases are often requested to move to the ASB section)
IOTL, all three men fled the scene at the first sign of danger. The POD could be that, in order to not worry the nation, Washington and his cabinet decide to stay in Philadelphia a while longer (thus securely placing the TL in this forum), which subsequently results in Washington, Jefferson, and Hamilton catching the fever. That should avoid any issues, I think.

IOTL, all three men fled the scene at the first sign of danger. The POD could be that, in order to not worry the nation, Washington and his cabinet decide to stay in Philadelphia a while longer (thus securely placing the TL in this forum), which subsequently results in Washington, Jefferson, and Hamilton catching the fever. That should avoid any issues, I think.
Thank you for that suggestion.

I am most interested in finding out what sort of task force the Soviet Union would have had to assemble in order to make a landing on the other side of the Bering Sea and establish a defensible enclave (As well as finding out more about the composition of a US liberation force; my suspicion is that while the USMC might well have featured in the campaign, it would have been the US Army making up a majority of land forces); I am also interested in finding out more about what sort of practical issues campaigning in Alaska would present to the soldiery on both sides (How long does the campaigning season last? What environmental factors are at work?), as well as more about the social, political & diplomatic situation in AD 1928 and how that would have affected the war effort.

Might I please ask if any contributor can help me with this?
It probably wouldn't have been challenging to land a force to occupy a part of Alaska in 1928 because it was lightly defended and has so much coastline, the problem is ensuring they don't die of frostbite or starvation afterwards. That's extremely difficult since even without the US Navy (which is far greater than the Soviet Navy in numbers and quality), the sea conditions are terrible most of the year. Gales are common and can appear without warning. Go watch Deadliest Catch, that's what your resupply would be dealing with. Worse, many areas in the Aleutians and Gulf of Alaska coast have extreme tidal variations (Cook Inlet, which Anchorage lays on, has tides almost on the level of the Bay of Fundy) and strong currents which can wreck ships or drive them off course.

There's also the problem with how easy it is to mine the coast. Look at the narrow channels around Juneau or Sitka or even Anchorage. It's very similar to Norway where a small fleet of minelayers and torpedo boats punches far above its weight. And those three cities are practically the only cities of note in Alaska in 1928.

Only Britain or Japan could probably invade Alaska in that era, and if war looked likely with either than we'd see a lot more fortification in Alaska, local recruitment, etc. like happened in the 30s/early 40s.

So, if Anne of France (daughter of Charles VIII and Anne of Brittany) lived and Louis XII still marries Anne of Brittany and has make issue with her [Anne of Brittany], what would Anne of France’s marriage prospects be? Would she be married inside of France/to a foreign ruler who can’t press her claim to Brittany, or would she be locked up in a convent?
I don't think she'd be locked in a convent because she'd benefit nobody there. She'd be better off shipped to some broke foreign ruler

It probably wouldn't have been challenging to land a force to occupy a part of Alaska in 1928 because it was lightly defended and has so much coastline, the problem is ensuring they don't die of frostbite or starvation afterwards. That's extremely difficult since even without the US Navy (which is far greater than the Soviet Navy in numbers and quality), the sea conditions are terrible most of the year. Gales are common and can appear without warning. Go watch Deadliest Catch, that's what your resupply would be dealing with. Worse, many areas in the Aleutians and Gulf of Alaska coast have extreme tidal variations (Cook Inlet, which Anchorage lays on, has tides almost on the level of the Bay of Fundy) and strong currents which can wreck ships or drive them off course.

There's also the problem with how easy it is to mine the coast. Look at the narrow channels around Juneau or Sitka or even Anchorage. It's very similar to Norway where a small fleet of minelayers and torpedo boats punches far above its weight. And those three cities are practically the only cities of note in Alaska in 1928.

Only Britain or Japan could probably invade Alaska in that era, and if war looked likely with either than we'd see a lot more fortification in Alaska, local recruitment, etc. like happened in the 30s/early 40s.

Thank You most kindly for sharing your thoughts!

Why do hunter-gatherers survive coexistence with agriculturalists longer in warmer climates than in colder climates?
More resources available to each side? If you can grow food nearly all year round and have access to productive soils then you can live off a smaller amount of land, while as a H-G you have access to more animals throughout the year in a smaller area.

Has there ever been a thread devoted to the question of what an army composed of officers from both sides of a Civil War might look like? (That is, were one to form a single, national army to fight a foreign enemy - rather than each other - which officers would you pick and what roles would you slot them into?).

- For example, had the United States been required to intervene in Mexico in the late 1850s, which officers might one expect to see in the command cadre? (Robert E. Lee would likely be General Winfield Scott’s pick for field command, but whom would he pick for his chief subordinates with both North & South to draw on?).

It is said that Arthur of Brittany died on Maundy Thursday, 1203, at the hands of his drunk uncle King John of England, who had been holding him prisoner. If we assume the insobriety is an accurate detail, then that opens up the simple POD of "instead of making it to the dungeon, John stumbles and cracks his head open". Since John had no children at this point, nor any surviving brothers, I figure the result would be Arthur's immediate release and acclamation, which would be an astounding reversal of fortune.
A lot of people should be afraid of Arthur's revenge. Arthur himself may have menthal health problems after such traumatic experiences. May be English version of Ivan the Terrible.

Unlikely WI: Ottoman Empire encourages German immigration the way Russian Empire did? While Bosphorus Germans existed IOTL they were not particulary numerous. Perhaps Ottomans at some point see them as more loyal subjects than Greeks or Armenians?

Deleted member 90563

Unlikely WI: Ottoman Empire encourages German immigration the way Russian Empire did? While Bosphorus Germans existed IOTL they were not particulary numerous. Perhaps Ottomans at some point see them as more loyal subjects than Greeks or Armenians?

They'll settle where all the best beaches are.

Has there ever been a thread devoted to the question of what an army composed of officers from both sides of a Civil War might look like? (That is, were one to form a single, national army to fight a foreign enemy - rather than each other - which officers would you pick and what roles would you slot them into?).

- For example, had the United States been required to intervene in Mexico in the late 1850s, which officers might one expect to see in the command cadre? (Robert E. Lee would likely be General Winfield Scott’s pick for field command, but whom would he pick for his chief subordinates with both North & South to draw on?).
Not that I can remember, but if some conflict was to erupt a decade or so before the OTL American Civil War I'd imagine Winfield Scott, John E. Wool, David Twiggs, William S. Harney, Joseph E. Johnston, Edwin V. Sumner, Joseph K.F. Mansfield, Albert S. Johnston, Robert E. Lee, and maybe John C. Fremont (depending on the circumstances) being prominent generals in that conflict.

PC: Aviz ’Henry Tudor’?

If you discount the claims of the legitimized Beauforts and the Yorks themselves, the next Lancastrians heir should have been someone from the Portuguese Royal Family. I was wondering if it was possible for an ambitious Portuguese prince to pull off the same gambit as OTL Henry Tudor with the support of Portuguese troops with the same offer to marry Elizabeth of York? I’d imagine Henry’s OTL supporters such as the Stanleys might not support such an effort.