Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

What if William, the son of Henry the Young King and Princess Margaret of France (b. & d. 1177) had survived infancy? If Henry II still died in 1189, would William have become King of England, or would he have been usurped by Richard? If Richard remained Duke of Aquitaine, would he still have gone on crusade? He went IOTL with Philip II Augustus because they jointly feared that the other might usurp their territories, but now here Richard has the added fear that his nephew (or more accurately, his nephew's regents) might do the same.
Well, Richard will only be Duke of Aquitaine and potentially regent. He, William, will definitely be king as he is senior heir, indisputably legitimate. This is key. Assuming he lives to adulthood, he will be heavily influenced by regents most likely, hence why it is good for Richard if he gets to be a regent.

Well, Richard will only be Duke of Aquitaine and potentially regent. He, William, will definitely be king as he is senior heir, indisputably legitimate. This is key. Assuming he lives to adulthood, he will be heavily influenced by regents most likely, hence why it is good for Richard if he gets to be a regent.
Would he be regent if he still goes on crusade with Philip? I'd guess if Philip decides to stay, so would Richard, but reneging their crusader vows wouldn't be a good look for either of them.

I mean...crusades could always come later...but good point
There was also the matter of differing laws of inheritance, similar to what arose after the death of Richard IOTL. He named John on his deathbed, and under Norman law, as the eldest surviving son of Henry II, John was the heir, but under Angevin law, as the son of John's elder brother, Arthur was the heir.

Now, I could see Richard remaining and crusading as Duke of Aquitaine, but I could just as easily see him fighting to become or be named as heir/King, as John and Arthur did IOTL, with Philip staying to exploit the chaos.

There was also the matter of differing laws of inheritance, similar to what arose after the death of Richard IOTL. He named John on his deathbed, and under Norman law, as the eldest surviving son of Henry II, John was the heir, but under Angevin law, as the son of John's elder brother, Arthur was the heir.

Now, I could see Richard remaining and crusading as Duke of Aquitaine, but I could just as easily see him fighting to become or be named as heir/King, as John and Arthur did IOTL, with Philip staying to exploit the chaos.
True, though I see no reason why Philip needs to stay

What if the British beat the Argentinians in 1806-07? How would the British treat their new colony? Would they colonise it much like the US and Australia?

What if the British beat the Argentinians in 1806-07? How would the British treat their new colony? Would they colonise it much like the US and Australia?
Maybe, I guess Spanish may be treated like Boer, then they could go south into mapuche land like boers did going North

Maybe, I guess Spanish may be treated like Boer, then they could go south into mapuche land like boers did going North
More likely the Québécois than anything else. You'd probably have a mixed Anglo-Spanish area around Buenos Aires, a Spanish-speaking Cuyo region, and the rest would be more or less Anglo.

More likely the Québécois than anything else. You'd probably have a mixed Anglo-Spanish area around Buenos Aires, a Spanish-speaking Cuyo region, and the rest would be more or less Anglo.
Hmm. How do you guys think that will affect the 19-20 century? I'd think the colonisation of Australia would be different at least as some people that would go to Australia otl would go to ittl Argentina. Ittl Argentina would also be a functioning country ittl which means the rest of the Latin American countries have a powerful nation right next to them.

The Dutch Republic was already called a Monarchy called Republic in 1670. Said Dutch model is not going to be taken seriously by Republicans or Monarchists
Republican England could easily cause enough butterlies to change the fates of Johann De Witt and the House of Orange. If the Orangists fail, the Dutch Republic would most likely remain a republic.

Republican England could easily cause enough butterlies to change the fates of Johann De Witt and the House of Orange. If the Orangists fail, the Dutch Republic would most likely remain a republic.
Guelders, Groningen, and most of the Dutch Provinces already had neo-hereditary stadholders then. It was so funny that when Louis XIV was being accused of being a tyrant lusting after absolute power, the entire Austrian court erupted into laughter when they heard that said accusation came from the Dutch Stadholders. If not the Orangists, then the House of Nassau-Dietz, Nassau-Dilenburg, de Beylermont, van de Bergh, de Croy, etc, all of whom had their own hereditary stadholderships would take up the mantle. As it was De Witt's entire power came from the fact that he was promising to keep the neo-hereditary system in the Lordships intact.
Like stated, Netherland's 'Republican' system was considered a joke after the 1620s by most Republicans and Monarchists alike, to the point that both Royalists and Republicans partied with one another deriding the Dutch system during the ceasefires in the English Civil Wars.

Guelders, Groningen, and most of the Dutch Provinces already had neo-hereditary stadholders then. It was so funny that when Louis XIV was being accused of being a tyrant lusting after absolute power, the entire Austrian court erupted into laughter when they heard that said accusation came from the Dutch Stadholders. If not the Orangists, then the House of Nassau-Dietz, Nassau-Dilenburg, de Beylermont, van de Bergh, de Croy, etc, all of whom had their own hereditary stadholderships would take up the mantle. As it was De Witt's entire power came from the fact that he was promising to keep the neo-hereditary system in the Lordships intact.
Like stated, Netherland's 'Republican' system was considered a joke after the 1620s by most Republicans and Monarchists alike, to the point that both Royalists and Republicans partied with one another deriding the Dutch system during the ceasefires in the English Civil Wars.
Its often thrown around that the US Confederation, and later Constitution was based on the Dutch republic. The declaration of independence was strongly influenced by the Dutch act of Abjuration. But I often wonder in what way it was influenced. Either a, "this is wonderful lets base our new glorious republic on this!" Or else, "guys this stinks, its neither a republic nor a monarchy, lets study it and then do the opposite."

Its often thrown around that the US Confederation, and later Constitution was based on the Dutch republic. The declaration of independence was strongly influenced by the Dutch act of Abjuration. But I often wonder in what way it was influenced. Either a, "this is wonderful lets base our new glorious republic on this!" Or else, "guys this stinks, its neither a republic nor a monarchy, lets study it and then do the opposite."
The Early Dutch Republic certainly inspired the nascent American republic, but by the 1620s, the Dutch had already entered that 'well a republic on paper but a confederation of monarchs in reality' stage.

Instead of being (briefly) given Etruria, could the Bourbon Parma dynasty have been offered land in Germany by Napoleon?