Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

Ive been listening to Mike Duncan's podcast in the french revolution and a question struck me that i don't think he quite addressed.

Why didn't Louis and his family just simply abdicate, rather than try the risky and ultimately failed escape to austrian territory?

I mean at some point i would think he had to consider whether trying to hold onto power in a situation where he feared for his life was preferable to essentially retiring and living out life in peace and luxury.

Or am i missing something that would lead him to think he would be just as at risk if he abdicated the throne?
An abdication also would be too much dangerous for him and his family, plus divine right to rule...

An abdication also would be too much dangerous for him and his family, plus divine right to rule...
How was abdication dangerous though? Can you be specific about why giving up the throne would put his head on the chopping block?

And divine rule was already on the decline by the time he was forced to move to Paris and became a (unwilling) citizen-king

How was abdication dangerous though? Can you be specific about why giving up the throne would put his head on the chopping block?

And divine rule was already on the decline by the time he was forced to move to Paris and became a (unwilling) citizen-king
First abdication for Louis was unthinkable because would be a negation of his divine right to rule (something in which he and his family believed until their last days) and second renouncing to the crown would not have put them out of danger at all, but only deprived them of any power in a very dangerous situation in which they had already had very little freedom. Escaping was the only real way out they had...

Plus exactly abdication in favor of who? His son and legitimate heir? That would make everything only worse, Louis’ brothers and nephews were already escaped and gifting the crown to the traitor Orleans would be naturally out of question...
Trying to do what the majority of the nobility and royal family had already done was the only way out of France

Assuming that the evidence that European diseases arrived in California around the 1540s and not after the Spanish colonization in 1769 is correct, and assuming the estimate of ~330000 people in California in 1769, what's a realistic guess at the population of California before the European plagues were introduced?

Don't know if this ASB, but what if Columbus was funded by the English under King Henry VII. Is POD possible somehow? If someone is interested I'd like to work with them on a potential timeline.

Don't know if this ASB, but what if Columbus was funded by the English under King Henry VII. Is POD possible somehow? If someone is interested I'd like to work with them on a potential timeline.
Its not ASB, although Henry VII has a reputation for penny pinching. Really, Spain and Portugal were Columbus' best bets, especially considering that his math was terribly off and columbus only got the commission thanks to a couple churchmen speakimg on his behalf to Queen Isabella

Something that's bugging me? I don't want to create a whole thread for it.

Isabelle d'Angoulême is always spoken of as being the childhood betrothed of her later second husband (Hugues X). However MedLands speaks of Isabelle ACTUALLY being engaged to his DAD (Hugues IX, who was 3yo older than John Lackland). And, when he lost out on Isabelle, settled for her cousin Mahaut/Matilda instead. Equally gross is the fact that he had his first marriage (to an adult woman, by whom he'd already had two kids) annulled with the intention of marrying a 9yo! Anyone know which version is accurate? The "romantic" version of Hugues X waiting half a lifetime to marry his betrothed? Or the "gross" version of his dad hankering after little girls (since Mahaut was 8/9yo when they "wed", Isabelle would've been 3yo)?

@The Professor @isabella

Isabelle d'Angoulême is always spoken of as being the childhood betrothed of her later second husband (Hugues X). However MedLands speaks of Isabelle ACTUALLY being engaged to his DAD (Hugues IX, who was 3yo older than John Lackland). And, when he lost out on Isabelle, settled for her cousin Mahaut/Matilda instead. Equally gross is the fact that he had his first marriage (to an adult woman, by whom he'd already had two kids) annulled with the intention of marrying a 9yo! Anyone know which version is accurate? The "romantic" version of Hugues X waiting half a lifetime to marry his betrothed? Or the "gross" version of his dad hankering after little girls (since Mahaut was 8/9yo when they "wed", Isabelle would've been 3yo)?

@The Professor @isabella
I suspect it's more accurate that he was hankering after Isabelle's lands, she was the main heiress to Angouleme, Maud would be next I think and thus likely entrusted with managing the lands if the owner was busy being king.

@The Professor @isabella
Most likely Hugh IX had actually his eyes on the lands of Angouleme so he first married Matilda and then engaged his own son to Isabella. And Hugh X was engaged for some time to one of the daughters of Isabella and John (who would have her mother’s inheritance as dowry). Isabella was surely engaged to either Hugh when she married King John so unless Matilda was already dead she was engaged to the son

Last edited:

eadmund

Banned
I recall reading somewhere that Germanic paganism was a lot less pantheon-focused than it's depicted as being, and that this was the result of Snorri Sturluson trying to make it appear more Greco-Roman (and also that ancestor worship was more relevant). Is this true?

Also, would anyone happen to know some good books on Germanic (specifically Anglo-Saxon) and insular Celtic religion? I've searched and searched and all I can find are books focused on neopaganism and "Heathenry", which isn't what I'm looking for at all. And the Wikipedia article on Anglo-Saxon paganism cites sources with links to far-right "Englisc" groups, so I'm not entirely trusting that.

I recall reading somewhere that Germanic paganism was a lot less pantheon-focused than it's depicted as being, and that this was the result of Snorri Sturluson trying to make it appear more Greco-Roman (and also that ancestor worship was more relevant). Is this true?

Also, would anyone happen to know some good books on Germanic (specifically Anglo-Saxon) and insular Celtic religion? I've searched and searched and all I can find are books focused on neopaganism and "Heathenry", which isn't what I'm looking for at all. And the Wikipedia article on Anglo-Saxon paganism cites sources with links to far-right "Englisc" groups, so I'm not entirely trusting that.
There's very little tbh.
If you're a student I'd recommend going through your local department or library for journals.

Is it possible for the City of London to be a micronation like Andora or San Marino? or is it just too important a city for it to remain independent like that?

This is not a real alternate history question but does someone know good english or german books about the medieval HRE? Something similar to Christopher Clarke's Iron Kingdom in it's approach as a popular history book?

Not a student, few years away from that. But thanks for the advice, I'll try to see what I can find.

If I may, you might want to try the works of Thomas DuBois out of the University of Wisconsin. He's more focused specifically on the Norse and Baltic than pan-Germanic religion, but he's a good starting point. Look especially at his work "Norse Religion in the Viking Age" (which has been sitting on my shelf forever, and which I really need to get around to reading)

https://tadubois.com/

It may seem like a large step - though less and less so to me at least: but you might want to email Dr. DuBois and ask if he can make any recommendations. I've actually met him, and he's a very affiable man, and I'd guessing he's be more than happy to help.

You might also go to your local library and speak to the research librarian there. Research Librarians had access to tools to help them find good sources - I honestly wish I'd known about that service when i was younger; it would have made my life so much easier.

As for Celtic - let me do some digging. I became fascinated in the topic when I was younger, but ran into many of the same problems as you - so much was colored by the neo-pagan revival (and this was in the late 90s when that was in full bloom)

Last edited:
Not a student, few years away from that. But thanks for the advice, I'll try to see what I can find.

Okay, I did some digging on Worldcat for you. I think a good place to start for Insular Celtic religion would be:

Understanding Celtic Religion: Revisiting the Pagan Past
Edited: Katja Ritari and Alexandra Bergholm
(Cardiff: University of Wales Press, 2015)

For Anglo-Saxon

Anglo-Saxon Paganism
By: D Wilson
(Routledge, 1992)

Signals of Belief in Early England
Edited: Martin Carver, Alex Sanmark and Sarah Semple
(Oxbow Books, 2010)

Last edited:
The fall of Sri Vijaya, from what I could gather, was partly caused by its defeat from the Chola and their development of some overseas territory on SEA on former Sri Vijayan land.

What if Sri Vijaya manage to repel and defeat the Chola?

I have this idea/concept that popped up on my head recently, although it could be qualified as semi-ASB:

What if the distribution of Y-haplogroup N retained in Lena River basin (OTL Sakha Republic/Yakutia), while Y-haplogroup Q expanded westward from Yenisei River to at least northern part of OTL European Russia?

Is there any good sources, preferably online where I can read about Russian plans for Galicia, Eastern Turkey and the Straits after WW1? Mostly what I am interested in the plans administering those territories and any information on what they planned to do with the population that was already there. Books would be fine, something that is informative and detailed, but isn't too dense would be perfect.