Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

i was actually thinking about writing a TL in which the Nizari Ismaili state in Masyaf survives, and slowly conquers the Levant.

For those who do not know, the Nizari Ismaili State of Masyaf is the direct historical inspiration for the Assassins Creed.

Eparkhos

Gone Fishin'
i was actually thinking about writing a TL in which the Nizari Ismaili state in Masyaf survives, and slowly conquers the Levant.

For those who do not know, the Nizari Ismaili State of Masyaf is the direct historical inspiration for the Assassins Creed.
That sounds very interesting, if you're willing I'd read it.

Bytor

Monthly Donor
TL;DR: Could Charles XII won the Great Northern War without giving up Northern Livonia to Peter the Great?

Not sure if this is relevant, but is there any way that Charles XII could have won the Great Northern War (1700-1721)? I’ve thought that maybe if he had pursued Russia instead of the PLC after the Russian army was crushed in the battle of Narva that Peter would have surrendered and, well, be honest, Augustus II wouldn’t stand a chance at Charles XII in his prime and no allies, or would he have had to agreed to the peace that Peter the Great presented to him where he got to keep Northern Livonia to be able to win. Just a question that’s been rattling in my brain for a while.
Yes, chase after Peter the Great at Narva.

Swedish forces through out this war show the ability many times over to win against forces 2x to 4x their in the middle of winter, so it's no stretch to think that if C12 had chased PtG after Narva, like at least some of his generals wanted, that it would have been the end of PtG.

See my "I want Charles in Charge of Me" thread. https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/i-want-charles-in-charge-of-me.414828/

Last edited:
More pro-scientific Ancient Rome? (Ancient Rome wasn't as pro-scientific as Ancient Greece was. Why? Could this have been avoided?)

Slavery was also a in Ancient Greece...
But the problem was far worse in Ancient Rome?
The great estates became worked by slaves, leading to the landowning peasants flocking to the cities as cheap labour. So you have something of a double whammy against the need or impetus for technological solutions to problems as both country and city have masses of cheap labour available.

nearly ASB alt history exercise. IOTL nearly every monarch of europe recognized the Ottoman's claim as Caesars of Rome. What if the Pope in 1453 also recognized the Ottomans as the Caesars of Rome? What would be the political and geopolitical effects of that?