Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

Intetesting so quite a bit of opening there for the crown to have influence and power. Which given the chaotic nature of government you’ve outlined is probably necessary no?
To an extent, Portugal's current political system is still very close to this. It's a Semi presidential Republic where the President has considerable power and can dissolve the Parliament even with an Absolute Majority as he is threatening to do, he is not just a ceremonial President and this tradition comes from the Monarchy because the First Republic which was a Parliamentary one where the President was a ceremonial role was too unstable to work in roughly two decades there were as many Governments as in the Constitutional Monarchy because there was no mediator as the King had been. Nowadays, people do choose who leads the Government though.

VVD0D95

Banned
To an extent, Portugal's current political system is still very close to this. It's a Semi presidential Republic where the President has considerable power and can dissolve the Parliament even with an Absolute Majority as he is threatening to do, he is not just a ceremonial President and this tradition comes from the Monarchy because the First Republic which was a Parliamentary one where the President was a ceremonial role was too unstable to work in roughly two decades there were as many Governments as in the Constitutional Monarchy because there was no mediator as the King had been. Nowadays, people do choose who leads the Government though.
Intetesting and Indeed

VVD0D95

Banned
Question, what if Joao Carlos son of Pedro IV and I of Portugal and Brazil survived? Would Pedro abdicate Portugal in his sons favour? And if so would Joao be able to take the throne without a war or would his uncle still try and usurp the throne?

@RedAquilla @Kellan Sullivan

What would the consequences be of Henry III not being chosen as king of the PLC? Would La Rochelle be taken and if so how would that bear on the war with the Huguenots?

What would the consequences be of Henry III not being chosen as king of the PLC? Would La Rochelle be taken and if so how would that bear on the war with the Huguenots?
Probably not.
The siege of La Rochelle was not going well for royal forces.
If Henri d'Anjou stays in France, the Malcontents Plot as we know it may be avoided. However, the Malcontents would still be there and would rebel sooner or later as in OTL.
The main difference for France is that Henri d'Anjou probably never meets Louise de Lorraine-Vaudémont (he met her during his travel to Poland in OTL). As a result, Henri III marries someone else, probably Elisabet Vasa as Catherine de Medici wanted. That may give him a surviving son, avoiding the succession crisis and the Bourbon's rise to power.
What about Poland-Lithuania ? Who would be elected and what would be the consequences ?

Last edited:
Probably not.
The siege of La Rochelle was not going well for royal forces.
If Henri d'Anjou stays in France, the Malcontents Plot as we know it may be avoided. However, the Malcontents would still be there and would rebel sooner or later as in OTL.
I thought the plot failed anyway? Sorry, all of my French history knowledge comes from Wikipedia.

The main difference for France is that Henri d'Anjou probably never meets Louise de Lorraine-Vaudémont (he met her during his travel to Poland in OTL). As a result, Henri III marries someone else, probably Elisabet Vasa as Catherine de Medici wanted.
Daughter of Gustav I?

What about Poland-Lithuania ? Who would be elected and what would be the consequences ?
Oh. It's part of a TL I'm making where free elections are never a thing in Poland-Lithuania, because Albert, younger brother of Sigismund II Augustus is born normally rather than because of the bear hunt accident. The discussion thread for it is floating here somewhere.

Yes.
She was the one Catherine de Medici wanted for Henri III.
So aside from potentially Henry III having a Catholic heir nothing much changes?
But what about Henry of Guise? Henry III was really unpopular, so even with a son could H. of G. still try for the throne?

Question, what if Joao Carlos son of Pedro IV and I of Portugal and Brazil survived? Would Pedro abdicate Portugal in his sons favour? And if so would Joao be able to take the throne without a war or would his uncle still try and usurp the throne?
That's an interesting question...I imagine that Peter IV would push for OTL Peter II of Brazil to be the Portuguese Monarch instead. Brazil was seen as having better perspectives than Portugal and was an Empire so I think João Carlos being the eldest would be the heir to Brazil. OTL Peter II being pretty much a newborn could be educated as a Portuguese. I think Miguel would be an indirect problem when compared to Carlota Joaquina who is the power behind the throne to Miguel. They could oppose and cause a civil war, they could accept the Regency and manipulate the kid in their favor, it's anybody's guess.

VVD0D95

Banned
That's an interesting question...I imagine that Peter IV would push for OTL Peter II of Brazil to be the Portuguese Monarch instead. Brazil was seen as having better perspectives than Portugal and was an Empire so I think João Carlos being the eldest would be the heir to Brazil. OTL Peter II being pretty much a newborn could be educated as a Portuguese. I think Miguel would be an indirect problem when compared to Carlota Joaquina who is the power behind the throne to Miguel. They could oppose and cause a civil war, they could accept the Regency and manipulate the kid in their favor, it's anybody's guess.
Hmm that’s very true. I guess given Pedro being a baby Carlotta and Miguel would try and shape him to their own devices. Carlotta esoecially I imagine

What is needed tk keep the first Mexican empire alive?
To be honest, hard to say. There's a lot of things that went wrong that led to the collapse of the First Empire, from dealing with anti-monarchists to financial issues to Fernando VII outright refusing to accept anything less than the restoration of his colonies wholesale and diplomatic pressure to prevent recognition of Mexico's independence (which contributed to financial issues). Personally, my best bet would've been for Fernando VII to kick the bucket in some capacity and allow a Spanish monarch to be more willing to compromise. But I'm sure there are some who might have a better idea here.

So aside from potentially Henry III having a Catholic heir nothing much changes?
But what about Henry of Guise? Henry III was really unpopular, so even with a son could H. of G. still try for the throne?
Henri III's unpopularity increased with the events due to the crisis that began precisely because of the succession issue.
If there was a Catholic dauphin, nobody would have considered to change the succession order. Sure, Henri III would've still been rather unpopular but nothing that deserves a civil war.
As for Henri de Guise, even in OTL, I am not sure he wanted to go as far as taking the throne himself. More details here:
https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/wi-henri-de-guise-survives.506107/

Henri III's unpopularity increased with the events due to the crisis that began precisely because of the succession issue.
If there was a Catholic dauphin, nobody would have considered to change the succession order. Sure, Henri III would've still been rather unpopular but nothing that deserves a civil war.
As for Henri de Guise, even in OTL, I am not sure he wanted to go as far as taking the throne himself. More details here:
https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/wi-henri-de-guise-survives.506107/
Thank you. Very informative.

Is this thread also a plausible scenario?

Thank you. Very informative.

Is this thread also a plausible scenario?
Sure, some answers here are quite plausible

I was debating someone regarding whether or not Ancient Greece/Rome were apart of Western civilization.
IMO they weren't due to having different institutions than that of the West of the last 1000 years.
What're your guys' thoughts?