Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

Grey Wolf

Donor
Question on 1600-1800 Spanish-global sociopolitical and economic affairs.
I need help with my TL that is here. It is based around a more receptive Ming dynasty and a surviving Shun dynasty and global impacts.
What is the situation of Spain after they loose the Philippines gradually from 1662-1744 (82 years).
in 1688, the trade of silk with China is forbidden within the Spanish Empire to protect Spanish silk and silver. Hence, the silk mills of Andalusia keep and gain much wealth, improving the development of southern Iberia. Hence, the Decline of the Spanish East Indies begin.

• Around 5 million pesos is added to the income of New Spain and Castille as a result. Mainland Spain becomes strong economically, and New Spain becomes dependent on Spain for silk.
  • Through the Dutch, the Chinese, Sulu, and Japanese initiate a more vigorous silver trade together in Asia.
  • The Spanish make landfall on the island of Oahu and establish a transit colony.
My main questions are:

IMHO Spain needs an enlightenment ruler to run with this, because left to the existing socio-economic power structure a boosted economy would not result in more than mitigation.

Which of the Central American states is the one most likely/ most able to annex the others and reform the Federal Republic of central America?

Could Pyrrhus of Epirus become the next Alexander the Great? Could he create an empire similar to him if he had more of a focus? Is there a Pyrrhuswank TL?

Were there any oppressed religious groups ala Puritans in East Asia? I know Christians in Japan for one.

Toying with the idea of East Asian religious colonies founded on the American West Coast in the early 18th century after the Tungning flee to the New World (heavily inspired from an old abandoned TL) and establish a fledgling dynasty of sorts in OTL San Francisco. Eventually this leads to
oppressed ethnic or religious groups in East Asia to get “inspired” and finding their home on the NW Coast (at least before they get swallowed by the Americans when they come knocking a century later)

I know this is pretty unlikely, with the vast distances and all, but it’s something to think about.

Last edited:
Eventually this leads to
oppressed ethnic or religious groups in East Asia to get “inspired” and finding their home on the NW Coast (at least before they get swallowed by the Americans when they come knocking a century later)
They have over a century before the Americans show up and a premodern population would grow fast (assuming they aren't wiped out by the locals). For instance, after a century of colonisation in New England (1720) they had over 170,000 people.

They have over a century before the Americans show up and a premodern population would grow fast (assuming they aren't wiped out by the locals). For instance, after a century of colonisation in New England (1720) they had over 170,000 people.
Yeah, but America still needs a Pacific coastline, either they become American vassals or the Americans just go look further north (I don’t see them conquering the land directly, They won’t be willing to incorporate hundreds of thousands of “Chinamen”, at least without genocide, which is pretty brutal even for 19th century America.)

So what are the most likely ethnic or religious groups in East Asia that would flee to the New World? (If you know)

how did farmers get rid of weeds before the industrial revolution or the invention of weed killer? did they go about manually de-weeding the fields everyday? i know they had tools to till the soil but did they also have draught-animal based tech for harvesting crops too? asking because i want to figure the feasibility of introducing multi-cropping to areas that didn't historically practice it. specifically europe

edit: ive since been told that modern farmers dont use weed killer, they only spray pesticide and maybe fungicide. i want to expand my question for the dealing of pests too. was it just cats n that, or would they encourage bigger bugs to eat the smaller bugs?

Last edited:
So what are the most likely ethnic or religious groups in East Asia that would flee to the New World? (If you know)
Historically various persecutions of Buddhists and Buddhist sects occurred in East Asia, so you could have new Buddhist sect emerge, get persecuted, and find a way to cross the ocean. The problem, of course, being the difficulty in getting seaworthy boats that can manage months of transit on the North Pacific.

Christians are still the most likely, just because they have the easiest access to getting European ships which can far more easily cross the Pacific. If you don't want Catholics or any OTL Christian group, you could have some sort of East Asian flavoured ATL Christian sect like the Taiping. The Taiping managed to recruit and trick many Christian missionaries into supporting them (although as those missionaries learned more and lived with the Taiping longer, they became disillusioned and left China). A charismatic preacher could attract European support before they realise his message is rather...odd.

As for ethnic groups, if it's Japan then I think the Burakumin would make a large portion of the settlers since they were generally looked down on and often did move around to avoid the stigma.

What could cause a revolution in Russia that would remove the Czar and have French and British intervention? Preferably between 1820-1830. Could this result in a democratic Russia?

Is there enough difference Icelandic horses or Fjord horses and Spanish mustang's to change how horse cultures develop on the great plains if enough somehow got to north America via a more successful Vinland colony. ?

Is there enough difference Icelandic horses or Fjord horses and Spanish mustang's to change how horse cultures develop on the great plains if enough somehow got to north America via a more successful Vinland colony. ?
Cold tolerance. North of the Nebraska border or so (and especially in the Dakotas/Montana/Canadian Prairies) many horses regularly died during the winter which meant more northerly groups regularly stole horses from southerly groups when they couldn't trade for new horses. This of course led to plenty of tensions and warfare.

Was there any chance that Da Vinci's inventions become widespread due to massive interest by various rulers in the area? And with much more resources, Leonardo da Vinci could have actually made more of his inventions?
You could have say, tank warfare and aircraft... in the 15th and 16th centuries?
The repercussions are not solely for war... Da Vinci had tons of peacetime inventions too that were never carried out.

Probably forever. You just have to make sure Sardinia-Piedmont or the Two Sicilies are weakned enough or cancel each other that they can't unify the Peninsula.

For the latter, maybe have one of his sons held the lands that corresponded to the Kingdom of Italy. Maybe he holds onto them and then proceeds overtime to conquer all of the Peninsula.
As to the former - yes, indefinitely. While politically united, there's never truly been that much unity in Italy. Examples - 1) the 1946 plebiscite, republic vs monarchy; 2) the Lega Nord movement which still has some traction in northern Italy today. That ol' dividing line between the Kdm of Naples/the Two Sicilies and the more fractious but developed north seems to be a particularly persistent one.

As to unity after Charlemagne, well... any number of condottierre could've probably pulled it off given enough arms, money and mercenaries, but only on a temporary basis. The Papal States could've been a little tricky though... took a Napoleon to pull that one off.