Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

Would you say "His excellency, the most excellent Duke of X" ?
'Excellency' it's the title/honorific, only to be used when you are referring or mentioning to the Aristocrat or if you are being presented to him/her, but if you are talking with him in a very formal/official context, then the correct usage (imo) would be: 'Excmo Sr/Dn (Don).' Most Excellent Sir/Lord or even as 'Don' (as a nobiliary particle plus his/her family surname or the name from where he/she get the nobliary title). Being this last title/honorific (Don) the most probably to be used in a more private, though not in a informal talk). E.g. '' His/Her Excellency the 'Viceroy' Lord X (and if he/she hold, too, a dukeship, then, at continuation it would be followed by) the 'Most Excellent Duke of X', will receive/meeting you at his private office'' and once there: the diplomatic would say/addressed to the ''Thank you for receive me so soon, Excmo Sr ('Señor', if not noble) and assuming that is a noble then Sir or Don. (insert noble surname)..'', followed by his/her nobility title or government office.

Something I'm trying to figure out for The Emerald Years. Leaving aside the role played by the Spanish, what impact would losing Ireland in 1588 have, long-term, on England, especially with regards to its colonial empire? I don't believe Ireland has any resources the English depended on (except maybe food). Was the income from Ireland a major factor in England's ability to finance colonies and its navies? Conversely, might things have become easier (or at least simpler) without the need to maintain Irish garrisons and put down multiple rebellions?

George II dies at the Battle of Dettingen in 1743, Prince Frederick becomes King Frederick I. It doesn't matter who wins the battle, but let's assume it's a British victory. What are the long term consequences?

Also, I want to emphasize this question is not related to Look to the West. Frederick is still the Prince of Wales, he was never exiled. He's spent his whole life in Britain. I want to know where Europe goes from here. Does this lead to direct war between Britain and France. If so, how does it go down? And what happens to their colonies?

Story in alternate universe where Roman Empire and China have official contact following diplomat from both side reacting to another culture could be interesting. Not sure what time period this will take place in but I assume any time period will still be interesting.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Story in alternate universe where Roman Empire and China have official contact following diplomat from both side reacting to another culture could be interesting. Not sure what time period this will take place in but I assume any time period will still be interesting.

According to a documentary I watched, a Chinese attempt to make contact with Rome foundered in Mesopotamia around what is now Basra because the emissary asked sailors how long to get to Rome. If he had asked camel caravan owners he would have got a much shorter answer and probably been able to accompany them to Antioch

Last edited:
Does anyone here know about rapid evolution and about the genus lodoxonta? if so can one dm me please

Last edited:
Tellus by Tony Jones attempts to describe a world like that. ITTL the Roman Empire and Han Dynasty make first contact in the 2nd century and exchange cultural and political ideas that culminates in an apocalyptic war in the OTL 15th century. Unfortunately he doesn't go into detail describing what the society and culture of this world is like.

What if Grant didn't turn down Lincoln's invitation to Ford's theater that fateful night?

Suppose the assassination still happens, but Grant is able to injure and capture or kill Booth while sustaining non-fatal injuries.

Fast forward to 1868 with Grant replacing Edwin Stanton as Secretary of War. With all the stress and burden of the office and Johnson's fight with congress, Grant's health takes a downturn due to his injuries. He doesn't die, but swears off any further political endeavors, at least for the next few years while his health recovers.

Who would be the most likely Republican, and perhaps, National Union (if applicable) presidential candidate?

Grey Wolf

Donor
I can't get my head around Siamese/Thai royal princes? They seem to be titled Prince XXX, the Prince YYY - but no article seems to explain where the YYY comes from, but it seems to be this bit that they are actually known by?

e.g. Prince Srisiddhi Thongjaya, the Prince Siridhaj Sangkas
e.g. Prince Tisavarakumarn, the Prince Damrong Rajanubhab

Does anyone have some good sources on prehistoric/early Indonesia? Particularly anything from the Lesser Sunda Islands/Nusa Tenggara, and in particular there regarding their links with Papua and Australia? Basically anything I could look through on Google Books is fine, although full sources would be nice too.

Can anyone recommend me books about ducal prussia or the polish lithuanian commonwealth? I can speak english and german so anything in those languages would suffice.

It is often the case that people on this forum have miscellaneous or frivolous questions that could be easily answered by the many experts on this forum but are difficult to find the answer to on Google Scholar/Books or Wikipedia because they don't often deal in alternatives.

There are other cases where people have miscellaneous or frivolous scenarios or challenges that they want to share about an idea they encountered that could perhaps provoke inspiration in other users but isn't deserving enough to be posted as a thread on its own.

These issues have been addressed in the Shared Worlds and ASB forums but haven't been dealt with here.

This thread is intended to be a resource for those with questions about a timeline they want to construct which are minor and undeserving of their own thread, and a place to share ideas that people don't have time, skill or knowledge to write themselves.
I would be interested in the questions regarding Rome's relationship with Nubian and Kushite kingdoms. There had been a history of diplomatic relations and conflicts. This history is very seldom covered. Even though Nubian kingdoms apperently took Christianity over Pharaonic religion due to Roman influence. How could history have a more visible merging of the African (not province Africa) and Roman world. Which means also long term trade relations, the presence of Nubian peoples in various parts of the Empire, etc.
It is often the case that people on this forum have miscellaneous or frivolous questions that could be easily answered by the many experts on this forum but are difficult to find the answer to on Google Scholar/Books or Wikipedia because they don't often deal in alternatives.

There are other cases where people have miscellaneous or frivolous scenarios or challenges that they want to share about an idea they encountered that could perhaps provoke inspiration in other users but isn't deserving enough to be posted as a thread on its own.

These issues have been addressed in the Shared Worlds and ASB forums but haven't been dealt with here.

This thread is intended to be a resource for those with questions about a timeline they want to construct which are minor and undeserving of their own thread, and a place to share ideas that people don't have time, skill or knowledge to write themselves.
What if a Aristocrat had been President of the United States ?

Were native american civilizations better at controlling their ecological impact?
I remember reading somewhere on this forum that while old world cultures had caused deforestation and other things, that native american cultures barely had any (negative) impact on their environments. I even vaguely remember someone saying that the forests of the eastern seaboard were so plentiful because the natives there had been manipulating them over centuries to be more productive and have more animals and stuff for food.

Were native american civilizations better at controlling their ecological impact?
I remember reading somewhere on this forum that while old world cultures had caused deforestation and other things, that native american cultures barely had any (negative) impact on their environments. I even vaguely remember someone saying that the forests of the eastern seaboard were so plentiful because the natives there had been manipulating them over centuries to be more productive and have more animals and stuff for food.
Only because of their limited numbers in many places. Numerous urban centers in the Americas from Chaco Canyon to Cahokia faced issues with overhunting, deforestation, soil depletion, and erosion that typically ended with said centers collapsing (usually in the context of regional depopulation).

There is also a theory that the second pulse of the Little Ice Age occurred because of the utter depopulation of Amerindian civilisations due to introduced disease and (regionally) drought during the early-mid 16th century. According to this theory, the massive reduction in need for wood caused the forests to grow back and sucked enough carbon out of the atmosphere to cause some of the coldest years of the Little Ice Age. The forests on the East Coast would be very plentiful because far fewer people were hunting and gathering in them than in previous centuries.

A prominent theory I have seen regarding the collapse of the Maya culture is that their farming and deforestation practices caused a major ecological disaster which fed into the collapse of their society. While it has also been suggested (this was in an older book if I recall) that native American cultures had been responsible for the extinction of the megafauna of the new world. Such as Mammoth's giant sloths and many other species. So basically wherever humans go they kill everything and ruin the enviroment, and the myth that native cultures lived in harmony with the land is bogus. If any of this is right at least.

A Frisian independent state consisting of Westfrisia, East Frisia, North Frisia and the Frusian Islands.

What if Ariovist and the Suebians conquer Rome ?

What would a triune pan-russian state federated into Velikorus, Malorus, and Belarus kingdoms/republics look like? could the all-russian movement ever of taken off? what happens to the exclaves and mixed areas? i mean they'd probably just go to the greater-russian state, but what if the greater-russian part was just limited to european russia or the russian majority parts and the rest went to some fourth entity?