Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

Can someone tell what happened to the monarchist/royalist during the french revolution? Where were they? Did they not fight for the king etc.

I've heard that the USA was almost a German speaking country. I've always assumed it was be because they wanted to culturally detatch themselves from Brits. Now I've not done lots if research on this, but I was wondering what potentiall impacts this could have. I imagine the possibility of abstention from ww1, does that make sense considering these events are separated by 150 yrs? What are some other impacts? Is this a suitable premise for an AH?

I've heard that the USA was almost a German speaking country. I've always assumed it was be because they wanted to culturally detatch themselves from Brits. Now I've not done lots if research on this, but I was wondering what potentiall impacts this could have. I imagine the possibility of abstention from ww1, does that make sense considering these events are separated by 150 yrs? What are some other impacts? Is this a suitable premise for an AH?
It's definitely an interesting idea, but from what I have gathered, the United States actually suppressed German culture to an extent, even prior to WWI, due to xenophobia of the time. I've also never heard about any movements to differentiate American culture from British culture, especially when considering that upon independence American culture was already very different from that of the British. Early American cultural movements seemed to revolve around building upon and developing already existing aspects of colonial American culture rather than creating a new culture altogether.

Still, you raise a really interesting possibility for a timeline in which the United States culturally becomes German over time. While the idea of having the German language overcome English in the late 19th Century may be a more plausible and obvious POD, I kind of like the idea of the United States becoming a monarchy with a Prussian as its king after Frederick the Great endorses the Revolution, which leads to an inevitable connection between the Americans and Germans, therefore leading to an American culture that mimicked that of Prussia, which is only continued once immigration from Germany kicks in.

Would it make sense for a West Slavic state to use the title of Tsar, around the late middle ages/early modern period? I know that the title has historically been used only by East and South Slavic states, but would there be any reason for a West Slavic state to not use it?

Would it make sense for a West Slavic state to use the title of Tsar, around the late middle ages/early modern period? I know that the title has historically been used only by East and South Slavic states, but would there be any reason for a West Slavic state to not use it?
Luxemburg dynasty survives and the HRE is centered in Bohemia, the Czech term for emperor is Císař.

How long could Italy remain divided (or, to paraphrase a saying, a geographical expression)?

Conversely, when's the earliest post Charlemagne that we could see a united Italy?

I'm (slowly) writing a timeline where Venice stays independent to the modern day. Takes a little finagling though. Surviving Napoleon and the Congress of Vienna isn't the hard part actually. Surviving the Wars of Italian Unification took a little effort on my end and from there I think you are home free so to speak.

I've heard that the USA was almost a German speaking country.

There was a proposal to translate laws into German for the benefit of the significant German immigrant community. English would still be the language of the Congress ; this was only about making translations available after the fact. However, this proposal failed.

Over time the legend of this has grown into “America was about to become a German speaking country”.

Last edited:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raid_on_Lorient

On the evening of 7 October, a British shot fell near the French command centre, leading to a council of war. De Volvire and de L'Hôpital backed surrender, thinking that the British were about to reinforce their firepower.[78] The town's commander did not believe that his troops could win, thinking weaker than the British troops,[79] but his officers and the town's inhabitants opposed surrender,[80] stating they were ready to defend the town to the last bullet.[81] It was thus decided to surrender,[80] and on 7 October at 7pm De L'Hôpital left the town carrying its surrender proposal.[82] He was unable to find the enemy force and had to return to Lorient around 10pm.[83] He suspected a British ruse and ordered the town's defences reinforced.[79]

What if during the Raid on Lorient the decision for the British to withdraw is done a few hours later or the shot lands near in the afternoon? So De L'Hopital is actually able to give them his surrender? How much does this impact the Flanders campaign? Presumably Saxe would send even more troops.

Was La Beltraneja actually illegitimate?

I've read some uncomfortably detailed descriptions of Enrique IV's *ahem* physical deficiencies, and if the royal physician's account is accurate then there is no way he could have impregnated Joana of Portugal (who, might I add, was infatuated with the robust womanizer Beltran de la Cueva).

Would the Kingdom of Sardinia trade Savoy for Naples + Sicily + (maybe Balearic Islands?)

Would the Bourbons be up for this swap?

How likely is Russia keeping St Lawrence Island and Aleutian Island chain with Alaskan mainland still being sold to USA. What would be effects?

An alt-pseudo history; Nennius (and later Geoffrey of Monmouth), instead of going for the "trojan exiles" myth and ripping of the Aeneid (itself a rip off of the the Odyssy) instead do sonething slightly more original and claim Atlanteans for the ancestors of the native britons. Bonus points if they inspire some 19th century British "archeologist" to find the remains of the Atlantic bronze age cultures