Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

Pretty much all you would need was for a King to abolish the law, which could technically happy at any point. If a King only had daughters and REALLY didn’t like his heir, this could happen.
Pretty unlikely who he could. That was one of the most inviolable French laws
What if she became Henry IV's second wife, then he was still assassinated as IOTL?
She would NEVER marry Henry for the start and that would NOT change anything

What if the gunpowder plot succeeded?
Charles I gets a Regency Council.
There are massive anti-Catholic riots and possibly all Catholics in Britain are killed or deported.
Another invasion of Ireland?
Westminster is devastated by the explosion and the subsequent fire - the Palace of Westminster is probably mostly gutted.

Charles I gets a Regency Council.
There are massive anti-Catholic riots and possibly all Catholics in Britain are killed or deported.
Another invasion of Ireland?
Westminster is devastated by the explosion and the subsequent fire - the Palace of Westminster is probably mostly gutted.

this may have the knock-on effect of a revolution in Britain in the 1790s, the Gordon Riots escalate further then anyone originally expected

At what point was it most possible for France to have a queen regnant? @isabella @FalconHonour @EdwardRex
I'm pondering, specifically, the absence of Philip II in any male form, leaving Mary, countess of Champagne, as the most senior of Louis VII's children. Given that any man in the high nobility would have a decent chance of being outre-mer at this time, would there be an opening for her to step from regent of Champagne to Queen of France instead of losing power when her son comes of age? I assume this would require unusually weak leadership on the parts of the Dreaux and Courtenay claimants, included but not limited to Louis VII outliving his brothers.

I'm pondering, specifically, the absence of Philip II in any male form, leaving Mary, countess of Champagne, as the most senior of Louis VII's children. Given that any man in the high nobility would have a decent chance of being outre-mer at this time, would there be an opening for her to step from regent of Champagne to Queen of France instead of losing power when her son comes of age? I assume this would require unusually weak leadership on the parts of the Dreaux and Courtenay claimants, included but not limited to Louis VII outliving his brothers.
Marie of Champagne could work… but that would likely require Philip to be born AND die childless. Keep in minds who the Crown would likely go through election and who likely also Marie’s sisters (and brothers-in-law) would stake their claims on the French Crown

Last edited:
Why did the Hundred Years' War last so long? Why was there so much political will to keep fighting on both sides? Usually wars don't last nearly that long because one or both countries gets too tired to continue or loses the capability to maintain a war and a peace deal is signed. So what gives for this war?

Edit: There were "breaks" in the conflict (Cease-fires?) which explains part of it--it wasn't 100 years of nonstop warfare.

Why did the Hundred Years' War last so long? Why was there so much political will to keep fighting on both sides? Usually wars don't last nearly that long because one or both countries gets too tired to continue or loses the capability to maintain a war and a peace deal is signed. So what gives for this war?

Edit: There were "breaks" in the conflict (Cease-fires?) which explains part of it--it wasn't 100 years of nonstop warfare.
well, really, it wasn't one war, it's more like several successive wars with the same belligerents and with the same aim, for 130 years or so. These belligerents were the House of Anjou/Plantagenêt and their realms and allies, against the House of Capet (then later on Valois) and their realms and allies. The back and forth of control of many feudal fiefs, shifting allegiances, the rising Houses of Capet-Valois and Valois-Burgundy, the still around House of Blois and the powerful Occitan nobility didn't help to make the war any simpler, and it is this never ending feudal chaos combined with increasingly higher and higher tensions between Capets and Anjous that led to this once civil feud for the control of France into a decades long war that involved most of Western Europe.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Isn't it more likely she does a Roger Mortimer and Queen Isabella kind of thing and attempt to hold onto the regency power and keep her son down?

Grey Wolf

Donor
Could Modena have been made much bigger at the Congress of Vienna?
Are you giving them Parma (upsetting the Habsburgs who want Marie Louise to have something)?
Are you giving them Lucca (upsetting the Spanish)?
Are you giving them part of the Papal States?

If you risk upsetting the Spanish (and disinheriting the former line of the kings of Etruria) then in time Modena would also inherit Parma?

'Italian Hanseatic League'.

That is, the Italian maritime republics form their own "mercantile confederation" to provide common defense and facilitate free-trade networks in the Med. Might even come to rival the actual Hanseatic League some day, depending on how things go for them.

What if the United States did not take over Hawaii?

I would guess Japan might do the same. Would be interesting to see how this flipped the dynamic of power in the Pacific during the 20th century.

More immediately, might it also make a US invasion of the Philippines less likely?