Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

It must be noted that France was supposed to take Tangier from Portugal in 1648, but France refused. Most likely, the earlier French Tangier will be recaptured by Morocco in 1685 and everything returns to otl with minimal butterflies. However, French Tangier will start French colonialism in Morocco early (and successfully if held by still held by France after 1685 for centuries).

Well, yes. But who else was promised to James besides Cecily of York and Margaret Tudor? Maria of Aragon was not really a serious proposal, was she?
No, Maria was not. Bianca Maria Sforza around 1492 was a serious one instead (as Ludovico was desperately trying to marry her off)

Grey Wolf

Donor

It must be noted that France was supposed to take Tangier from Portugal in 1648, but France refused. Most likely, the earlier French Tangier will be recaptured by Morocco in 1685 and everything returns to otl with minimal butterflies. However, French Tangier will start French colonialism in Morocco early (and successfully if held by still held by France after 1685 for centuries).
English Tangier did not start English colonialism in Morocco

VVD0D95

Banned
Bit of a convoluted idea I admit, but it's sparked my interest:

1515: Margaret Tudor dies giving birth to a stillborn girl.

1518: James V dies in the struggles that were typical during the Scottish Regency, making his cousin Albany King.

Also in 1518: Princess Mary dies from an illness, the same illness gets her father, and Catherine of Aragon dies in childbirth alongside her child.

Mary Tudor the Elder is now technically Queen no?

@Kellan Sullivan @FalconHonour @The_Most_Happy @isabella @King of Danes @Tudorfan @ordinarylittleme

1518: James V dies in the struggles that were typical during the Scottish Regency, making his cousin Albany King.

Also in 1518: Princess Mary dies from an illness, the same illness gets her father, and Catherine of Aragon dies in childbirth alongside her child.

@Kellan Sullivan @FalconHonour @The_Most_Happy @isabella @King of Danes @Tudorfan @ordinarylittleme
Yes and Brandon her likely King consort with the horror of most of the English nobles

If you want Mary the Elder as Queen of England, you could more easily have Margaret die in childbirth while giving birth to a stillborn child in 1507, 1508 or 1509. James IV can still live and remarry then. Then simply kill of Henry VIII before he has an heir (I once read a comment that proposed letting him choke on a chicken bone on his and Cat's wedding feast, and that idea tickled me). That leaves Mary as the last Tudor

How unstable would her reign be do you imagine?

I'm starting to imagine that the Royal House of Brandon is more of a pipe dream than a reality then
I would say who her reign would not necessarily be unstable, specially if Henry had already removed most of the troubles around… Buckingham and Norfolk and others would try to prevent Suffolk from becoming King Consort and try to impose to Mary to leave the ruling to the Council (likely would be successful in both) but I doubt they would go in a full fledged rebellion… Still Catherine living would most likely help Mary a lot…

Well, yes, she'd be queen. Her reign won't be THAT unstable - the Plantagenet threats are mostly gone...I think Mary would need to fight hard for any power though

VVD0D95

Banned
I would say who her reign would not necessarily be unstable, specially if Henry had already removed most of the troubles around… Buckingham and Norfolk and others would try to prevent Suffolk from becoming King Consort and try to impose to Mary to leave the ruling to the Council (likely would be successful in both) but I doubt they would go in a full fledged rebellion… Still Catherine living would most likely help Mary a lot…
Well, yes, she'd be queen. Her reign won't be THAT unstable - the Plantagenet threats are mostly gone...I think Mary would need to fight hard for any power though

If you want Mary the Elder as Queen of England, you could more easily have Margaret die in childbirth while giving birth to a stillborn child in 1507, 1508 or 1509. James IV can still live and remarry then. Then simply kill of Henry VIII before he has an heir (I once read a comment that proposed letting him choke on a chicken bone on his and Cat's wedding feast, and that idea tickled me). That leaves Mary as the last Tudor
Very true in all points. I think it may be easier to get Henry Brandon as king through marriage to his cousin Mary aha, especially if James v himself is dead.

Very true in all points. I think it may be easier to get Henry Brandon as king through marriage to his cousin Mary aha, especially if James v himself is dead.
Not really. If you want a Brandon dynasty on the English throne this is the best option as a surviving Henry is pretty unlikely to get his cousin Mary as bride, but if Mary the Elder is Queen her heir will likely marry an important foreign princess (Madeleine or Marguerite of France, Dorothea or Kristina of Denmark or Maria of Viseu are all prestigious and in the right age range for both her sons)