Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by RMcD94, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Count of Crisco Pithy remark here.

More slaves from africa and alot earlier most likely. Gotta have someone to work the salt mines and cotton fields.
    On a less sombre note I imagine new names for alot of stuff that did not involve already existing local names. More new this and Nuevo that. But a pretty ASB thing I would say.

Atamolos likes this.
  2. ramones1986 Grumpy and Lazy

I don't really think both Americas would be uninhabitable for a very long time as I thought there would still be a series of migrations from Siberia, particularly from Ob-Irtysh-Yenisei region; the only difference was that the ATL version of Paleo-Eskimos (ancestors of Na-Dené possibly included) were a little bit advanced than OTL as they adapted a semi-nomadic lifestyle, complementing reindeer/caribou/ruminant domestication with hunting and seed gathering (until agriculture would gradually in some areas). However, I personally thought if such scenario was strong enough to be plausible.

Alexander Helios likes this.
  3. Alexander Helios Pre-Columbian Satan

There's evidence that only a relatively small amount of people crossed the Bering Straight to become the ancestors of the Paleo-Indians (though it's becoming increasingly more accepted that there were people in the Americas before the Clovis Culture, though even so there wasn't a large amount), so you could easily have them die during the crossing and nothing would really affect the Old World (unless you really believe in the chaos theory). You'd also have to butterfly the Na-Dene and Eskimo-Aleut migrations too, though again there wasn't a large amount of people in those cases either.

After all, this is alternate history, and if you really want to write a timeline about it, go for it. It's definitely an interesting premise, and we haven't had a timeline that tackles the scenario in a while.

ramones1986 likes this.
  4. StevenIronside Well-Known Member

First a question what does ASB mean stupid question i know butmim bad with acronyms

5. StevenIronside Well-Known Member

As a 8th generational descendant of Goerge III The Mad King threw a non consenting marriage, i find this a very interesting idea,

6. brickhouse The Town Weirdo

It is an acronym meaning alien space bats. It comes from a timeline where hitler won ww2 with the help of said space bats and has come to mean a timeline or point of divergance that is so impossable or improbable that it requires magic to happen.

StevenIronside likes this.
  7. Alexander Helios Pre-Columbian Satan

Does anyone have any info regarding the history of floods in the Mississippi River? For example, is there a cycle or pattern, or are flood just random occurrences? I know that there was a very destructive period of flooding starting around 1300 BC that led to the end of the Poverty Point Culture and the region was depopulated until around 800 BC, but what happened after that?

8. wwbgdiaslt Well-Known Member

An idea -

Pride and Politics

Following the fictional character as he is made MP for Lambton, Derbyshire, in 1800, and his escalation to Prime Minister and to Downing Street.

Jane Austen meets West Wing meets The Politician against the real world politics of the time.

9. anycent King of Rock and Roll

What would it have taken for less colonies to sign the declaration of independence?

10. Spelf Habsburgs and Hot Dogs

Suppose the German Brothers War does indeed end up with much of Cisleithania annexed to the new Germany (sans Dalmatia, Bukovina, and Galicia) while Hungary remains independent. Assuming they allow the Habsburgs to continue to rule, how would that go? I'm guessing that Franz Josef would probably abdicate with Rudolf gaining the still-independent Kingdom of Hungary (if they can keep it) while Karl Ludwig would gain the Kingdom of Austria-Bohemia or whatever Cisleithania becomes within the German Empire. Is that accurate to the best of our knowledge or is it really just a guessing game?

11. oberdada Präsident des Welt- und Erdenballs

Why ruin a perfectly good story by introducing politics?

Zombies are fine, everything gets more interesting with zombies, but politics?

Atamolos likes this.