Miranda's Dream. ¡Por una Latino América fuerte!.- A Gran Colombia TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
What exactly happened in Sarawak, and how badly did it blow up? Sounds like an interesting yarn.
Colombia and Chile both joined the colonizing efforts together by making an attempt to establish influence in Sarawak. The attempt was disastrous, and it only helped to convince the population to continue under the control of the James Brooke’s dynasty started back in 1841. The Latino-Americans had more luck in the Philippines, which had stagnated under Spanish rule. The rise of Philippine nationalism, represented by Insulares who started calling themselves Hijos del País (Sons of the Country), seemed to represent a fertile ground for future revolution, especially after a couple of revolts were brutally suppressed and their leaders exiled. Talks between Philippine Revolutionaries and Colombo-Chilean agents were held in secret, with the promise of help if a Spanish-Colombian War was ever to start.
this

¡Guerra a muerte!.- Peru’s last stand against Colombia.

The year of 1816 started with a Colombian offensive towards Peru. Colombia’s liberators, Nariño, Bolivar, Santander and Sucre started to cross the Andes in their March to Lima, through the Andes. A hard fight awaited before them, as the Andes were a natural defensive terrain. Nonetheless, by this point, Colombia had a clear advantage over Lima in manpower, troop experience and morale, and finally equipment. Even when the outbreak of the war between the United States and Great Britain in late 1815 made obtaining a constant flow of supplies almost impossible, Colombia still had enough stockpiles to finish the war. However, it made Miranda think that Colombia should have its own industries, so it wouldn’t have to rely on powers like Britain or the US.

Batalla_de_Chacabuco_Chile.jpg

The first battle of the March to Lima ended in disaster as Bolivar’s army was defeated disastrously near Cajamarca. Everybody knew it would give Peru a couple of months at best, but nonetheless none of the other Colombian leaders felt good about using their soldiers as cannon folder. A law was passed in the Colombian parliament, which would come to be known as the War to Death decree that called for the complete defeat of Peru. Miranda took advantage of this to foster early nationalist feelings in the people of Colombia, calling them to fight for their country and for those who they love.

The next offensive was trusted in Sucre, a general best suited for defense than for attack, but the government hoped he would be able to take over the Peruvian position. Meanwhile, Chile continued a separate offensive, and the newly independent Charkas started to gather troops to do one as well. The objective was not defeating Peru as much as relieving pressure so the Colombian attack could succeed. La Plata didn’t send any troops as they were locked in the middle of a Civil War and Paraguay, under Doctor Francia, decided to remain strictly isolationist, but sent some support.

junin-la-batalla-silenciosa-de-jpg_604x0.jpg

Sucre managed to break through the Peruvian lines in early 1816, and he continued his advance towards Lima, supported by Nariño’s forces. Santander conducted another offensive in the Andes at the same time, but it was meant only to distract Lima and allow the main army to continue their march in the coast.

Colombia also had the support of the Republiquetas and various indigena guerillas, who wished to create a state for themselves. Miranda promised to do so in the Treaty of Cuzco, which was actually signed in Santiago but was named like that only to remember the ancient capital of the Inca Empire. However, with the time, it would come to be known as the Criollo Backstab.

Peru withdrew its forces from the South to do its last stand against the libertador Army, but at the end the Colombian’s won and captured Lima. The Viceroy was captured and forced to sign Peru’s formal surrender and, in light of Spain’s current conflict, accept the independence of Latin America as the king’s representative. The document would have no real validity, but Miranda thought that some form of recognition was needed to appease the elites and the people of Colombia.

300px-Abrazo_de_Maip%C3%BA_Pedro_Subercaseaux.jpg

Chilean forces attacking South Peru.

With Lima captured started the age known in Peru as the “nueva colonia”, with Miranda stablishing a protectorate over the Peruvian areas and forcing its elites to recognize the independence of Charkas and the Colombian control over certain territories, namely Tumbes and several territories in the Amazonas. Sucre, nicknamed “Virrey” by the Peruvian people, assumed control over the protectorate, which would have Colombian and Chilean armies stationed over strategic points all over the country. To say the people of Peru was unhappy would be an understatement. Open revolt broke all over the new country, but they were mostly militias unable to go against the experienced Colombian troops. The total number of casualties is a debate matter, as, understandably, Colombia tends to downplay them while Peru raises them. Even the name of the events are very divisive, as Peru names them as “the Protectorate Massacres” while Colombia uses “the Royalist Guerilla Wars”.

125px-Flag_of_Peru_(1821_-_1822).svg.png

Flag of the Peruvian Protectorate.

The mestizos of Peru were trapped between these events, and most of them even fled to Colombia, specifically Quito. Once the situation in Peru was stabilized enough, Colombia called for all of Latin America to join in a Conference to decide the future of the continent, the Cucuta Congress.

i know iam bearly reading this but i alredy have my questions even if they maged to take lima , what about the spanish in the central and souther andes?

What exactly happened in Sarawak, and how badly did it blow up? Sounds like an interesting yarn.

Aside from Nivek's helpful quotation, more can be said of course. But basically, the Chilean-Colombian attempt further secured British control of the area and imbued a certain mistrust for Latin Americans there.

i know iam bearly reading this but i alredy have my questions even if they maged to take lima , what about the spanish in the central and souther andes?

They were ordered to surrender by the Viceroy. Some didn't, and informal resistance continued, but without support from Spain, with Peru and Chile liberated and Charkas about to liberate itself, it was only a matter of time before they were mopped up.

dered to surrender by the Viceroy. Some didn't, and informal resistance continued, but without support from Spain, with Peru and Chile liberated and Charkas about to liberate itself, it was only a matter of time before they were mopped up.
Charkas sound so weird, yeah not chance Bolivia ITTL...

It's only because we're so used to the name Bolivia. ITTL, people probably think something like "Bolivia" sounds ridiculous.
Yeah and OTL conditions come to the Name from OTL, but Charkas is weird...but forgot bolivia did have a lot of amazon before brazil stoled it, hope they hold it ITTL...

Aside from Nivek's helpful quotation, more can be said of course. But basically, the Chilean-Colombian attempt further secured British control of the area and imbued a certain mistrust for Latin Americans there.

They were ordered to surrender by the Viceroy. Some didn't, and informal resistance continued, but without support from Spain, with Peru and Chile liberated and Charkas about to liberate itself, it was only a matter of time before they were mopped up.

so do they surrender or does an altertitive battle of junin and ayacucho ( may be not in the same place) occurs

Yeah and OTL conditions come to the Name from OTL, but Charkas is weird...but forgot bolivia did have a lot of amazon before brazil stoled it, hope they hold it ITTL...
I would like to know more about Charkas. No chance of Confederation with Peru at some point ITTL? No Tawantisuyu revival movement?

I would like to know more about Charkas. No chance of Confederation with Peru at some point ITTL? No Tawantisuyu revival movement?

They tried to form a Confederation win Peru, but were defeates by Chile in the Pacific War. As a result, they lost their coast to Chile, except for a narrow strech known as the Charkean corridor. Colombo-Chilean diplomacy does its best to keep Peru and Charkas apart.

Internally, it's similar to Peru. A mostly indigenous population lorded over by a small craddle of white aristocrats. The government is authoritarian, and the army has perhaps too much influence, but there is a constitution and neither corruption nor crime are high. They have been unaffected by the wave of reform that has hit other countries. Socially, they endeavour to keep the Natives down so that they can't be used to stage a revolution like Medina did in Peru. Literacy is low, and the economy is extractive, but stable.

A neo-Inca movement has taken shape, but mostly in Peru.

Quick question (love the timeline btw): what is Gran Colombia's population?

Thanks! Turns out my estimates foe Apure were way off, so after correction is around 10 to 11 million in 1850. I actually have detailed tables with the population of each state. I'll post them as soon as possible.

They tried to form a Confederation win Peru, but were defeates by Chile in the Pacific War. As a result, they lost their coast to Chile, except for a narrow strech known as the Charkean corridor. Colombo-Chilean diplomacy does its best to keep Peru and Charkas apart.

Internally, it's similar to Peru. A mostly indigenous population lorded over by a small craddle of white aristocrats. The government is authoritarian, and the army has perhaps too much influence, but there is a constitution and neither corruption nor crime are high. They have been unaffected by the wave of reform that has hit other countries. Socially, they endeavour to keep the Natives down so that they can't be used to stage a revolution like Medina did in Peru. Literacy is low, and the economy is extractive, but stable.

A neo-Inca movement has taken shape, but mostly in Peru.

Thanks! Turns out my estimates foe Apure were way off, so after correction is around 10 to 11 million in 1850. I actually have detailed tables with the population of each state. I'll post them as soon as possible.
Wow, only 11 million? Well, here's hoping it will get larger as time goes by.

Here's my detailed, though not pretty, breakdown of the population of Colombia.

EkfI90t.png

By the way, the tops cities of the Republic are:

- Caracas (277,000 people in 1850).
- Santafé (208,000 people in 1850).
- Quito (101,000 people in 1850).

Here's my detailed, though not pretty, breakdown of the population of Colombia.

EkfI90t.png

By the way, the tops cities of the Republic are:

- Caracas (277,000 people in 1850).
- Santafé (208,000 people in 1850).
- Quito (101,000 people in 1850).
Spoilers Aside, as say before, Venezuela and Cundinamarca, the twin hearts/engine of the nation...Caracas is even a bigger metropole OTL...by 1900 would break million easily(no NYC but still massive)

Spoilers: 153 Millions...HALF OTL usa, OTL colombia, venezuela,ecuador, panama,Republica Dominicana, Costa Rica..not counting any other prize colombia could get later on and other minor regions is... 117.445 let say 122 all say and done.... very big..seems (great)colombia did reach a population reach earlier that OTL...but that make it the BIGGEST SPANISH SPEAKING NATION POSSIBLE OTL, not counting TTL mega mexico could easily break 200....

Spoilers Aside, as say before, Venezuela and Cundinamarca, the twin hearts/engine of the nation...Caracas is even a bigger metropole OTL...by 1900 would break million easily(no NYC but still massive)

Spoilers: 153 Millions...HALF OTL usa, OTL colombia, venezuela,ecuador, panama,Republica Dominicana, Costa Rica..not counting any other prize colombia could get later on and other minor regions is... 117.445 let say 122 all say and done.... very big..seems (great)colombia did reach a population reach earlier that OTL...but that make it the BIGGEST SPANISH SPEAKING NATION POSSIBLE OTL, not counting TTL mega mexico could easily break 200....

Yeah, the heart of Colombia is in that area.

It should also be noted that a big part of this growth comes from immigrants who would have otherwise gone to the United States. As a whole, Latin America is much richer and much more stable, and that has attracted more immigrants. Losing the great lakes also was a big economic hit to the US. In total, the American population has grown at a much slower rate, so they won't have 350 million as in OTL in 2010. Mexico's population, for its part, grew slower than that of either Colombia or the US during the first half of the century, but it's going to grow much faster after the war. There's already a baby boom happening.

It should also be noted that a big part of this growth comes from immigrants who would have otherwise gone to the United States. As a whole, Latin America is much richer and much more stable, and that has attracted more immigrants. Losing the great lakes also was a big economic hit to the US. In total, the American population has grown at a much slower rate, so they won't have 350 million as in OTL in 2010. Mexico's population, for its part, grew slower than that of either Colombia or the US during the first half of the century, but it's going to grow much faster after the war. There's already a baby boom happening.
US is 330 as of today, 120 Mexico...whole OTL NA is 480, here yeah will be slower, less inmigration and different migration boom, plus more develops economies means some nations will hit population peak earlier that OTL...that is very interesting, still we could get a gran colombia with 160 Million for 2020...not counting any possible surprise territory might come later on

Hey buddy can you put the map with the population numbers? to give us a clue who live where?

You know, we know more Irish come to Columbia in this timeline. It kinda makes me curious to hear what Columbian Spanish sounds like with an Irish accent ;) I'm not sure if you have much background in linguists (I know _I_ don't!) but it would also be curious to see if the different immigrant populations have an influence on the Spanish spoken in Columbia; not just in loan words, but also in the formation of regional accents (kinda like how the Scandinavian and German immigrants are thought by some to have given rise to the Upper Midwestern varieties of English spoken today in Minnesota, Wisconsin, the UP and Dakotas)

You know, we know more Irish come to Columbia in this timeline. It kinda makes me curious to hear what Columbian Spanish sounds like with an Irish accent
Well, if the irish did settle Magdalena wide..the 'interior' accent will be more coarse even 'costeño/coastal carribean' based ones. But something even them...Inmigrants assimilated hella fast in colombia, even those come later on, learn spanish very quick is only noticable with an accent but still sound colombian(years of speaking jordan/palestinan and lebanaese muslim teach me that, their foreigness is only revealed their accents..less common their children although) so i could imagine irish would speak a more accented colombian with R, like english speakers speak a soft spanish at time(by english,as native from england, US did have a strong accent)

Deleted member 67076

150 million by 2010 is good solid numbers for competing globally. Particularly as with so much of the region developing earlier (and the knock off effects that has on technology etc) the earlier demographic transition means the world population is likely to be smaller than it was OTL.

Status
Not open for further replies.