Miranda's Dream. ¡Por una Latino América fuerte!.- A Gran Colombia TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Cuba nobody uses vos or vosotros.

RedGaliray! How dare you! The Cuban province of Camagüey is the place where the best Spanish speakers live (I am not from that part of the island, by the way). Back to the TL in the end...there will be some degree of Cuban exceptionalism? I mean, we are still under Spanish dominance and still too close to the US. Also, do you plan to have Cuban Wars of Independence? If so, I would love to read how our national heros do in the game of Latin american international politics.

Bueno, creo que nos dejamos llevar jaja. Si, más tarde les preguntare a los mods si nos dejan hacerlo todo el tiempo. Así crearíamos una hermandad latina :p Of course, the updates would still be in English, since we can't just assume everyone is a Spanish speaker, and I'd answer certain question in English, but being able to chat with in Spanish is somewhat refreshing.

In any case, I've created the thread. I doubt that there will be any kind of incidents, pues les voy a proveer de subtítulos.

Asi que era verdad... The Spanish Language was born in Castille but died in Cuba, indeed :p You're welcome. The Irish Brigades, and the Irish people in general are going to have an important role in Colombia, thanks in great part to O'Leary. Also, I shall be dammed if at the end of the TL Cuba is in the clutches of the gringos. And if for whatever reason Cuba ends under Gringo dominance, they're going to regret it, so much...

Why do I have the suspicion that LatAm (or at least most of it) and the US are going to end in completely different camps and in a very bloody war in some years down the line due to Colombia feeling like a "Protector of Latinoamérica" and clashing with any hypothetical Monroe doctrine. (which is going to be a very different fate than what I have planned on my TL, but that's a story for another day)

RedGaliray! How dare you! The Cuban province of Camagüey is the place where the best Spanish speakers live (I am not from that part of the island, by the way). Back to the TL in the end...there will be some degree of Cuban exceptionalism? I mean, we are still under Spanish dominance and still too close to the US. Also, do you plan to have Cuban Wars of Independence? If so, I would love to read how our national heros do in the game of Latin american international politics.

Perhaps, but it won't be widespread. At least, Colombia and Mexico will not tolerate any American attempt of annexing the island, and will only allow it to remain under Gringo control in exceptional situations. No Spoilers for the rest!

In any case, I've created the thread. I doubt that there will be any kind of incidents, pues les voy a proveer de subtítulos.

Why do I have the suspicion that LatAm (or at least most of it) and the US are going to end in completely different camps and in a very bloody war in some years down the line due to Colombia feeling like a "Protector of Latinoamérica" and clashing with any hypothetical Monroe doctrine. (which is going to be a very different fate than what I have planned on my TL, but that's a story for another day)

Gran idea! Ya estoy allá.

Well, it may happen, who knows? ;)

Pretty good timeline just read it very well written hope you don't give up on it.

Thank you very much. Don't worry, I won't give up on it, it's just that I've been busy these past days, so I haven't had a chance to write anything. I'll start working in the next update tomorrow.

Good timeline, well written, but when it comes to Chile, I am very nitpicky.

Diego Portales wouldn't have formed a triumvirate. He was much too authoritarian to keep a good relation with Carrera and far too conservative for the almost tyrannical O'Higgins. Also, he was way too young at the time to be involved in politics. His influence in politics started after the Civil War of 1829.

Besides, O'Higgins and Carrera hated each other. The sort of triumvirate in the early independist years was Juan Martínez de Rozas, Carrera, Gaspar Marín. It failed. After Carrera imprisoned Rozas and exiled him. O'Higgins didn't take this very well, since he was close to Rozas.

If anyone would make a triumvirate, it would be O'Higgins, Freire, Blanco Encalada for the O'Higginistas(if Blanco traveled to Chile, if not, Juan Mackenna would be my bet.) and Carrera, Manuel Rodríguez and either Luis or Juan José Carrera(Carrera was a bit nepotist.) for the Carreristas.

O'Higgins, Carrera and Portales? Every one of them would have killed the other two in the blink of an eye.

Good timeline, well written, but when it comes to Chile, I am very nitpicky.

Diego Portales wouldn't have formed a triumvirate. He was much too authoritarian to keep a good relation with Carrera and far too conservative for the almost tyrannical O'Higgins. Also, he was way too young at the time to be involved in politics. His influence in politics started after the Civil War of 1829.

Besides, O'Higgins and Carrera hated each other. The sort of triumvirate in the early independist years was Juan Martínez de Rozas, Carrera, Gaspar Marín. It failed. After Carrera imprisoned Rozas and exiled him. O'Higgins didn't take this very well, since he was close to Rozas.

If anyone would make a triumvirate, it would be O'Higgins, Freire, Blanco Encalada for the O'Higginistas(if Blanco traveled to Chile, if not, Juan Mackenna would be my bet.) and Carrera, Manuel Rodríguez and either Luis or Juan José Carrera(Carrera was a bit nepotist.) for the Carreristas.

O'Higgins, Carrera and Portales? Every one of them would have killed the other two in the blink of an eye.

Good to see you picked interest in this little project of mine :) Thanks for all the advice, but I believed that O'Higgins, Carrera and Portales were a triumvirate in OTL? It seems I was wrong then. I'm going to correct the update about Chile to better reflect this, and also apply this to the future updates. Again, thank you very much!

Good to see you picked interest in this little project of mine :) Thanks for all the advice, but I believed that O'Higgins, Carrera and Portales were a triumvirate in OTL? It seems I was wrong then. I'm going to correct the update about Chile to better reflect this, and also apply this to the future updates. Again, thank you very much!

No. Carrera was killed(via La Plata soldiers with possible O'Higgins/San Martín orders) in 1821. His brothers Juan José and Luis died the same way in 1818. O'Higgins left Chile in exile in 1823 for Perú(he died there in 1843, his bones were repatriated by Manuel Blanco Encalada many years later)and left the position of Director Supremo to Ramón Freire, who would follow O'Higgins in exile after the Civil War of 1829. Then he was exiled to the Polinesia because he had convinced Santa Cruz and the Confederation to support Freire's attempt at a coup d'etat against José Joaquin Prieto(a.k.a Portales' puppet) which enemistated Chile and the Peruvian-Bolivian Confederation. Portales' murder at thr hands of Anti-War Pro-Confederation soldiers was the spark that led to the war that Chile won, with help of the North Peruvians. Portales' influence started after the 1829 Civil War. Before that, he was just a businessman who had the monopoly in his line of work, but failed because of debts.

No. Carrera was killed(via La Plata soldiers with possible O'Higgins/San Martín orders) in 1821. His brothers Juan José and Luis died the same way in 1818. O'Higgins left Chile in exile in 1823 for Perú(he died there in 1843, his bones were repatriated by Manuel Blanco Encalada many years later)and left the position of Director Supremo to Ramón Freire, who would follow O'Higgins in exile after the Civil War of 1829. Then he was exiled to the Polinesia because he had convinced Santa Cruz and the Confederation to support Freire's attempt at a coup d'etat against José Joaquin Prieto(a.k.a Portales' puppet) which enemistated Chile and the Peruvian-Bolivian Confederation. Portales' murder at thr hands of Anti-War Pro-Confederation soldiers was the spark that led to the war that Chile won, with help of the North Peruvians. Portales' influence started after the 1829 Civil War. Before that, he was just a businessman who had the monopoly in his line of work, but failed because of debts.

I see. Very interesting indeed. I'm going to make the neccesary changes, and change a little my future plans for Chile. Thank you!

Chapter 20: Santander's Colombia.
Outcome.- La Revolución de Santander.

"The last day of my life will be the first in which Colombia won't have me looking after her independence, honor and liberty"
-Francisco de Paula Santander, President of Colombia.

After the war, and with Colombia for the moment secured, Santander realized that if he wanted to place Colombia as one of the Great Power, a complete change and re-organization of the state would be needed. Especially concerning matters were the excessive power and control the landowners and the church had over the young country. A change in the economy was also needed, as Colombia, just like the rest of Latin America, was adequate for an exploitation economy, not a production one. Colombia, thanks to its influence in Haiti and vast natural resources, had managed to produce tons of money thanks to the selling of sugar, coffee, cacao, tobacco and clothes, but the last along with cheap and low-quality steel were the only truly industrial products.

With a complete change of society and economy in mind, Santander started what came to be known as the Great Reforms, together with the help of Sucre, O’Leary and a Quitean Dama, Manuela Saenz. The Great Reforms started by the drafting of La Segunda Constitucion Nacional, and started a decades long plan for the total reformation of Colombian society and economy. Sucre promised to continue the reforms after Santander’s term was over and also to make sure their successor would do as well.

imagen3.jpg

Santander is still considered one of the best presidents Colombia's ever had, and one of the best Colombians overall.

The Great Reforms were as follow:

1.- La Ley de la Reforma Agraria: Meant to free land for immigrants, reduce the power of the elites, increment productivity and encourage industry, the Law only managed to be barely approved thanks to a combination of specific circumstances, namely the popularity Santander enjoyed after the war and the interests of the small circle of Colombian industrialists, who wanted to rose in power, both political and economical. Another great factor for the Law was that it helped to stabilize Colombia, by shifting the wealth of the elites and thus making favorable the continuation of the union.

The reality of Colombia looked grim. Though the nation was mostly able to fed itself, the fact was that most of the lands where in the hands of the same elites of old. Miranda had managed to place all the land of Royalists and suspected royalists under de jure state control, but de facto they fell into the control of yet other landowners. The Church also held a disproportionate quantity of land, and that land was not used to its full potential. The three main classifications of the land were the “haciendas”, the lands of the church and the “baldios”, state owned but awarded to people for their services, generally underused and with terrible efficiency, it’s believed they represented about 75% of the national territory of Colombia.[1]

cuadros+de+haciendas+al+oleo.jpg

A typical Hacienda, heritage of the Colonial period.

In order to change the repartition of land, Santander created the Secretary for Agriculture and put strict rules in the ownership of land, managing to find several illegal haciendas and confiscating the land. He then started the true main part of the Law, by initiating a long and slow, but concrete and effective process aimed at the organization and improvement of efficiency of the haciendas, together with crop rotation and encouragement of new crops. The process is considered to have ended around 1873, the year of the Fourth National Constitution and almost 50 years after the war.

The key of the process was, however, that Santander avoided above all messing with the big elites, the ones that decide the future of the nation, securing thus their support and using it to control minor elites and landowner without threatening either Colombia or his government. Of consideration is what has come to be known as “The Switching”. The Secretary would often buy certain extensions of poor land for cheap prices and give good, productive baldios in exchange, but those baldios would be in other state. For example, a Cundinamarcan landlord would sell his poor, unproductive land there and obtain land in Venezuela. Then either they would decide to sell that new land for a neat profit (selling it to other big landowners was banned, but selling it back to the government was legal) or decide to conserve it, thus making the continuation of the Republic beneficial to them. Some of the smarter landowners would realize this and exploit it in their favor, but since most of the time it represented a neat gain (either getting rid of bad land and obtaining great wealth in exchange, or getting great land for a cheap price) most went along with it.

This may seem to be just a loss of money for the state, but the Secretary was able to recuperate the money partially or totally by then dividing the old land parcels and selling them. The main objective of the Law was not producing a profit anyway, but rather re-organizing the land of Colombia. Production incremented, cheap land was freed for immigrants and other people, with most of the former laborers of the farms generally heading to the coasts and starting to work in the weak and young industries there. We should note that this was only possible because Colombia had a money surplus thanks to not needing to maintain an enormous army or navy. As it has been already stated, the process was slow and difficult, but it is now considered a great success.

100px-COLOMBIA_-8_REALES_1821_a_-_Flickr_-_woody1778a.jpg

Piastra, the Colombian currency.

2.- Laws about Immigration.- Realizing he couldn’t really compete for immigrants with the United States, and that Colombia had massive handicaps discouraging them from settling there, Santander decided to try other approach. Focusing in cities and intellectuals from Spain, Portugal, France, Italy, Eastern Europe and cheap labor from Asia, the new laws, considered a continuation of Miranda’s Hispanic Laws, greatly encouraged and facilitated immigration for those people. Citizenship could be get just by being Catholic or speaking Spanish (though right to vote needed the last condition, but not the first one). Similarities between the languages, making learning Spanish much easier, and the extension of the Catholic faith in those European populations targeted, together with the friendly environment Colombia offered for them in heavily contrast with the governments there which were divided between absolutism and liberalism. Though some immigration started thanks to those laws, it was less than to La Plata, never mind the United States. However, the big waves of immigration would only start later after several political developments there.

As for the Arab World, many intellectuals decided to leave it, preferring Colombia, which, even though showing a clear favoritism of White Catholics, was still less racist than the US. The main factor was that Colombia was hungry for skilled labor, and was willing to ignore the faith of someone (The Constitution proclaiming freedom of worship) and accept a very basic level of Spanish if they were able to provide some good for the state. Thus Colombia became known for almost securing work to any skilled labor that arrived there, often handing the lands freed from the Agrarian Reform to them as a payment.

106_3.jpg

Colombia would, some would say arrogantly, call itself the "Land of Liberty and Union"

Finally, and regarding Asia, some Asian intellectuals left for the same reason, installing mostly in the Ecuador region. The most important wave of immigration, from an unstable China and an India recently conquered, was formed by poor waves of farmers, who hoped to achieve a better life but where, unfortunately, often used as cheap labor for the construction of infrastructure and the newly funded coffee, cacao, banana, sugar, tobacco industries. Still, they often found life better under the rule of Colombia, as there were no racial limits for citizenship, with knowledge of Spanish being the only thing required. Admittedly, being Catholic helped a lot, but it was possible to retain the original faith. Not that many Indians, who were generally pariahs “untouchables” of the caste system wanted to, deciding to believe in a God that loved everyone equality instead. Another thing of note is that this wave would continue for a long time, and while in the US there were concerns about them “stealing jobs from honest white men and taking naïve white girls”, in a Colombia product of “mestizaje” nobody cared unless the women were white criollas, with marriage with Mestizos or Natives being ignored. A similar situation took place in the Caribbean, with thousands moving to the coasts or Hispaniola to work there.

Most importantly for immigration was however the propaganda that Colombia managed to spread through Asia and Europe. This was mostly done with the help of Daniel O’Leary and the British Prime Minister, who was happy of the Colombian success against Peru (because it was thus considered a French failure) and currently angry with the Americans for the Florida fiasco. Immigration to Colombia was still minimal in comparison with the US, but Santander had achieved success in that skilled immigrants, who would be the base for the State, still went there.

kum-sum.jpg

Chinese immigrants in Guayaquil.

3.- La Maldita Alianza Sagrada.- The Catholic Church held an enormous power over Colombia, and all of Latin America in general. Even when the inquisition was abolished and Spain of all places was starting to pick some secular ideas thanks to influence from the Napoleonic wing of France, the Church held vast tracks of Land and have an incredible power over the people. National Identity was weak and new, and many Indigenas still didn’t identify as Colombians. The Clergy was still identified as one of the three powers the state needed, together with the Armed Forces (Land unnecessary thanks to natural frontiers and the defeat of Peru, Naval relegated to defense only) and the (currently happy) Big Landlords. The great mistake of Latin America, opined Santander, was that the Church controlled the State, not the other way around.

The “Unholy Sacred Alliance” (Or “Goddammed Holy Alliance”) was created to limit the power of the Church. In exchange of not taxing the enormous extensions of land the church held, and even giving them some more, it would have to give education (in accordance with the Decree of National Education), help building houses and infrastructure and not interfere in the economy. The reasoning behind this was that while little towns in the interior could lack absolutely everything, they would always be a church able to take the entire village inside. Thus using them to educate the people saved a lot of resources and implemented better the ones Colombia already had, as the classes, disguised as “Catequesis” and taught by literate preachers, were able to teach Spanish, how to read and write and basic knowledge in math and science.

iglesia-compania-quito.jpg

The Colonial Legacy left some gorgeus churches in Colombia. Most of the ones used for education were simple and litte, however.

The Alliance was only for the little towns in the interior though, which leads us to…

4.-The “libros, periodico y medicina” approach: The foundations for widespread education were set by Miranda’s Decreto de Educacion General, but it was during the Great Reforms that they reached their apex. By using the church in the little towns, Santander and the Ministerio de Educacion, together with the Quitean Dama Manuela Saenz were able to focus in the cities, where the immigration and economical developments were also taking place. The National Universities, funded already by Miranda, were given a major budget and Santander even “imported” professors from Europe, often giving them lands too. The more important developments in education were with the foundation of new schools and, thanks to the economic bonus obtained by careful management of resources, many children were able to go and learn. True to be told, the colleges were mostly reserved for the upper classes, but the level of education improved significantly. Also, with the help of Saenz, the first Girl Schools and “Colegios para Señoritas” were funded. Few women got education aside from learning to write and read, if even that, but those colleges were concentrated in the three major cities plus one in Hispaniola, but it was an important advance.

Eugenioespejo.jpg

Eugenio Espejo, procer of the Independence.

As for the “news” part, the “Primicias de la Cultura de Quito” de Eugenio Espejo was revived, along with the foundation of “El Colombiano”(by O’Leary)[3], “El Patriota” (by Sucre and Nariño) and even “El Venezolado”, by Bolivar, later force changed into “El Diario del Pueblo”. Though the very blatant pro-Colombia nationalist propaganda is now looked with contempt, it undoubtedly played an important role in the formation of a national identity and the spread of literacy and the Spanish language.

Finally, the “medicina” approach was aimed at incrementing the Colombian population. Colombia was only rivaled by Brazil in population in South America, but both Mexico and the US had far more manpower. Even when Colombia had already a very good birth rate and had already gone through two baby booms after each war, along with modest but good immigration, the population was relatively low and the death rates way to high. By again using churches as improvised hospitals, importing doctors and investing heavily in health in the cities, death rates managed to be lowered, and in fact, Colombia achieved the second lowest only after the US.

Manuela_S%C3%A1enz.jpg

Rumor was that she had a relation with Bolivar, but left him after his coup attempt.[2]

Importantly, and perhaps somewhat bizarrely, the Colombians also started to see Indigena medicine and the ancestral methods of healing as viable, and that interested several
scientifics who, with heavy support and funding by the state, started to examine Colombian wildlife and plants, along with native populations of the jungles and mountains, all in hopes of finding a cure for the illnesses that had plagued South America and in some cases the world.

In the same vein as those Scientifics, but not in the same area of study, Charles Darwin arrived in Colombia around 1834. He planned to go earlier, but the war had postponed those plans. He would go on to visit the Colombian held Galapagos Islands, until then used as a penal colony. After several observations he could formulate his Evolution Theory, and, not wanting to see the islands destroyed, asked the government to protect them. In his honor a port was founded and named “Port Darwin” and a delegation of the Navy sent to protect it from pirates.

fig11-03.jpg

HMS Beagle.
All of the Great Reforms were part of a slow and very hard process, which is not considered to have been completed until at 1890, more than fifty years after the first reforms started. Now considered revolutionary, the Reforms became the first step for Colombia into the limelight of the world.

AN: Sorry for the delay. I've been busy, and also I had to rewrote this chapter and make some intensive research into Colombia, and that took some time.

Focusing in cities and intellectuals from Spain, Portugal, France, Italy, Eastern Europe and cheap labor from Asia, the new laws, considered a continuation of Miranda’s Hispanic Laws, greatly encouraged and facilitated immigration for those people. Citizenship could be get just by being Catholic or speaking Spanish (though right to vote needed the last condition, but not the first one). Similarities between the languages, making learning Spanish much easier, and the extension of the Catholic faith in those European populations targeted, together with the friendly environment Colombia offered for them in heavily contrast with the governments there which were divided between absolutism and liberalism. Though some immigration started thanks to those laws, it was less than to La Plata, never mind the United States. However, the big waves of immigration would only start later after several political developments there.
Well, how about Ireland, which was Roman Catholic as well? Oh, I forgot...

Finally, and regarding Asia, some Asian intellectuals left for the same reason, installing mostly in the Ecuador region. The most important wave of immigration, from an unstable China and an India recently conquered, was formed by poor waves of farmers, who hoped to achieve a better life but where, unfortunately, often used as cheap labor for the construction of infrastructure and the newly funded coffee, cacao, banana, sugar, tobacco industries.
I imagine in the future:
¡Quiero ver las telenovelas ecuatorianas con actores de rasgos asiáticos ya! Me importa los doramas asiáticos, especialmente los japoneses, coreanos, chinos, y hasta los filipinos y formosanos con sus idiomas de los huevos.

Wow, I love this update. It sets up everything so Gran Colombia can truly become a great power. You mind if I steal some parts for my own TL? I had some similar ideas but nowhere near as fleshed out as what you did

This seems to have great potential.

And since this new dark era will be marked by the race of Gran Colombia, Brazil, Argentina, Mexico and the U.S. I wonder... We'll be checking all five on future updates?

Ecuador, especially La Costa, is a great place for Asian immigration. I suspect most of these Asian intellectuals and laborers are Pinoys? Manta and Esmeraldas will be to Asian-Colombians what the Northeast is for Irish and Italian Americans.

Well, how about Ireland, which was Roman Catholic as well? Oh, I forgot...

Yeah, but I haven't. I still have plans for Ireland, and they include the UK, Colombia, Canada, O'Leary, some prostitutes and a drunk farmer.

I imagine in the future:

Everybody knows that there are a lot of Chinese in Quevedo :p Seriously, there are songs about that!

Wow, I love this update. It sets up everything so Gran Colombia can truly become a great power. You mind if I steal some parts for my own TL? I had some similar ideas but nowhere near as fleshed out as what you did

Thanks. This update is especially important because it is the base for the future of the Republic. No, I don't mind, not at all. You can use them if you want.

So, now you're setting up Colombia for further success. This is awesome!

Thanks! There is still much to be done, but the fundations are set.

This seems to have great potential.

And since this new dark era will be marked by the race of Gran Colombia, Brazil, Argentina, Mexico and the U.S. I wonder... We'll be checking all five on future updates?

Yeah. Mexico and the US will each recive an individual update. La Plata and Brazil may have to share one, or have separate ones. It depends in how much space I need to describe their developments.

Ecuador, especially La Costa, is a great place for Asian immigration. I suspect most of these Asian intellectuals and laborers are Pinoys? Manta and Esmeraldas will be to Asian-Colombians what the Northeast is for Irish and Italian Americans.

There are some Pinoys, yes. And there will be chaulafan everywhere! :D

You guys know that "pinoy" is technically an insult right? It originated as a racial slur from the americans. Well, its mostly just the Filipino-Americans that take it as an insult, us back home have taken it, and made our own!... Mostly

You guys know that "pinoy" is technically an insult right? It originated as a racial slur from the americans. Well, its mostly just the Filipino-Americans that take it as an insult, us back home have taken it, and made our own!... Mostly

Oh, sorry, I was not aware. I offer my sincere appologies if I offended you or any other Filipino.

Status
Not open for further replies.