Miranda's Dream. ¡Por una Latino América fuerte!.- A Gran Colombia TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any story with a weak US and a strong Latin America is welcome, hopefully and the civil war will hit US hard enough not to be a threat for a while. The more people die in the US and the more people migrate to Colombia, the better.

Just wondering but what are the chances that Mexico and Columbia will get involved in the upcoming Civil War?
Direct involvement is unlikely, but both are sure to recognize that a bloody and prolonged conflict for the US can only benefit them, so expect a lot of sold ships, ammunition and war materiel.

I think that they will probably just sit back and watch as the country that they have collectively identified as their major threat tears itself apart and instead of getting involved they will probably take advantage of the situation and pull some shenanigans to make sure the USA is less of a threat to them if it survives the civil war.
Indeed. Cuba looks particularly attractive if the gringos are unable to intervene.

A new joiner here... Love it!!

It's interesting ... Since when the wars of the XIX and XX centuries end, the culture war will come. A TL where the US is not the only fish capable of mobilizing a culture industry implies that it will not be the only producer of pop culture in this part of the world. For example, the obvious conflict to come with the language. With a stable Latin America and with two possible solid and strong economic agents (Mexico and Colombia), I do not see a future for English as a universal language. Not only the demographic boom of Mexico and Colombia that could equate to the demographics of the US, added the rest of Latin America and Spain ... It would be undoubted that Spanish would be the most widely spoken language. Especially if there are successful excursions in Asia. That 21st century could be one where the gringos would have to learn Spanish to participate in the international market.

And not only there. What would war with the seventh art be like?

Due to its parliamentary / monarchical status ... I estimate in Mexico a boom of historical romanticism. A UK with its Downton Abbey and The Crown, but with a focus on Latin melodrama. And their closeness to France, I see them more stick to a more artistic style of "cinema" not Blockbusters. If there is an Oscars ... I see a Mexico almost always win the category for best foreign film.

Colombia, share something in its culture with the US...

Exceptionalism; especially now with the birth of this "new race" ideology (which by the way, I want to see how Colombia reacts to the birth of European criminological positivism and the doctrines of Lombroso in 1880). The birth of the "Scientific racism". Something that until now seems to be the antithesis of Colombian identity. But going back to the movies; Apart from exceptionalism, Colombia shares this desire to enrich itself. So I really see Colombia as Hollywood's competition in creating Blockbusters. I see a Hollywood and Santa Marta feeding on the other in cinematographic trends and movements. That there is a Western boom in Hollywood; Santa Marta develops her heroic llaneros. There is an interest in action in Colombia; Hollywood in response anticipates its 80s action boom.

The point is that, financially, the film industry would automatically start as an international market. Not like a national one. Especially if the populations are comparable. It would not be a US and China box office. It would be the US-Colombia Box Office that would dominate the world.
Thank you! I'm glad that you like the TL. I know I don't update it frequently due to real life taking precedence, but be sure that I haven't abandoned it.

The main obstacle for Spanish as a lingua franca is the Spanish themselves, given that Spain remains weak, already surpassed by both Colombia and Mexico. I could see, thanks to a stronger France too, a trilingual world where knowing at least two of English, Spanish and French is basically compulsory for anyone who wants to travel or do business, each language having its respective sphere. Still, Americans probably would do well to learn Spanish as soon as possible, given how their biggest trading partners are bound to be the Spanish speaking countries of the Americas.

I'd like Mexico to be the center of the "cultured cinema" and Colombia of the "blockbuster movie", as complimentary industries that would serve the much bigger Latin market ITTL. I think you are right that because of bigger competition the Americas would be the bigger Box Office, with Mexican, Colombian and American industries as the competitors within it. Regarding European doctrines, the success of some Latin American countries could lead to interesting results. A possible one is something of an inverse "one drop rule", whereby a little amount of "White blood" is enough to give "intelligence and virtue" to the supposedly inferior savages. Another, more progressive alternative is an interests not in intrinsic characteristics but in how the environment and society molds individuals - contrasting how civilization in Latin America gave virtue and education to the "inferior races". You can see how both points of view would contribute to White supremacy and imperialism.

Any story with a weak US and a strong Latin America is welcome, hopefully and the civil war will hit US hard enough not to be a threat for a while. The more people die in the US and the more people migrate to Colombia, the better.
For the long term fortunes of Latin America, that's better, yes, since a US that's forced out of foreign adventures and meddling for at least two decades would allow Latin America to develop a lot.

Direct involvement is unlikely, but both are sure to recognize that a bloody and prolonged conflict for the US can only benefit them, so expect a lot of sold ships, ammunition and war materiel.

Indeed. Cuba looks particularly attractive if the gringos are unable to intervene.

Thank you! I'm glad that you like the TL. I know I don't update it frequently due to real life taking precedence, but be sure that I haven't abandoned it.

The main obstacle for Spanish as a lingua franca is the Spanish themselves, given that Spain remains weak, already surpassed by both Colombia and Mexico. I could see, thanks to a stronger France too, a trilingual world where knowing at least two of English, Spanish and French is basically compulsory for anyone who wants to travel or do business, each language having its respective sphere. Still, Americans probably would do well to learn Spanish as soon as possible, given how their biggest trading partners are bound to be the Spanish speaking countries of the Americas.

I'd like Mexico to be the center of the "cultured cinema" and Colombia of the "blockbuster movie", as complimentary industries that would serve the much bigger Latin market ITTL. I think you are right that because of bigger competition the Americas would be the bigger Box Office, with Mexican, Colombian and American industries as the competitors within it. Regarding European doctrines, the success of some Latin American countries could lead to interesting results. A possible one is something of an inverse "one drop rule", whereby a little amount of "White blood" is enough to give "intelligence and virtue" to the supposedly inferior savages. Another, more progressive alternative is an interests not in intrinsic characteristics but in how the environment and society molds individuals - contrasting how civilization in Latin America gave virtue and education to the "inferior races". You can see how both points of view would contribute to White supremacy and imperialism.

For the long term fortunes of Latin America, that's better, yes, since a US that's forced out of foreign adventures and meddling for at least two decades would allow Latin America to develop a lot.
I wonder what the attitude of the Latin countries is like, because they seem more imperialistic than the US, I think that the final objective of Mexico is the Philippines, right? That's why they want Hawuai, to make the road easier.
I doubt very much that Colombia and Mexico get into Africa, I see them better in Asia bothering the Chinese. On the other hand, Argentina and Brazil is what worries me, I don't know where they can expand.

I wonder what the attitude of the Latin countries is like, because they seem more imperialistic than the US, I think that the final objective of Mexico is the Philippines, right? That's why they want Hawuai, to make the road easier.
I doubt very much that Colombia and Mexico get into Africa, I see them better in Asia bothering the Chinese. On the other hand, Argentina and Brazil is what worries me, I don't know where they can expand.
welp they can fight each other…

About Egypt. You mentioned that they're in the French sphere. How into the sphere are they between simple alliance and complete economic dependency? Also, is it possible for big Egypt to be a participant in the scramble for Africa instead of a victim? (even if the gains are likely to be minimal)

Yeah, for imperialistic adventures, most are looking towards the Pacific. No country is very interested in Africa. Although, Colombia is looking more towards the Caribbean and La Plata (Argentina) has the still unsettled Patagonia.

About Egypt. You mentioned that they're in the French sphere. How into the sphere are they between simple alliance and complete economic dependency? Also, is it possible for big Egypt to be a participant in the scramble for Africa instead of a victim? (even if the gains are likely to be minimal)
The Egyptian Navy and Army depend almost completely on the French, though the country as a whole isn't completely dependant yet. At the very least, the French want to secure complete control over the Suez, where they have already started to envision a canal. Egypt's ultimate fate depends on whether the modernization efforts are succesful or not, but also on how powerful the Ottomans are - if they are a big threat, an independent Egypt may be a good choice, but if they are weak, why bother?

@Red_Galiray
Why is the story called "Miranda's Dream" btw?
A lot of TLs and works related to Gran Colombia are usually called "Bolivar's Dream". I changed it because here the Father of the Nation is Francisco de Miranda, not Bolivar.

I'm very interested in Ejércitos patriotas of Venezuela and Nueva Granada in the War of Independence and the Gran Columbian army,especially the uniforms they used in the battle of Carabobo.
But unfortunately I can hardly find books about them or information about their uniforms. Most of the information found on the Internet is cluttered and full of contradictions.
The content of this posting about the Colombian National Army is very helpful to me,but I would like to know more about the glorious Independent Army, and I don't know how to do.

Last edited:

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Return to the Grave from whence you came!

With Iron, Salt, Blood, and Power I fix you back into the ground where you may once again rest!

Status
Not open for further replies.