'Minus World: New Game Plus' — A Successful Philips SNES-CD Timeline

I'd lean towards Contra IV-updated rereleases are more Capcom's thing than Konami's. As for SimCity, I'd just throw SimCity 2000 on the CD and call it a day.
Nice ideas, make sense. So yes for both.

One idea I had for TTL's Final Fantasy VI (still a cartridge game) is that Gogo still has access to Throw even if you don't wait for Shadow. Also, it's possible to suplex Kefka during the Battle of Narshe ITTL.
Good ideas

Do you think if the SNES-CD actually was successful to a degree, Sega would try to step up their game with the Sega CD and try to give that system more support before the Saturn comes around?

Do you think if the SNES-CD actually was successful to a degree, Sega would try to step up their game with the Sega CD and try to give that system more support before the Saturn comes around?
Especially as the Sega-CD even if fucked up b Sega of Japan, was by inertia more popular outside of Japan than in japan itself , Seems Sega was a mess and once they were unable to beat NEC, they enter into panic mode. T

Does TTL's SNES-CD receive the first Mortal Kombat, and if so, is it uncensored or censored? ITTL, Mortal Kombat II is uncensored on both SNES cartridge and SNES-CD.

Mortal Kombat's SNES port came out in 1993 in our world, so it could conceivably be on the CD, however given Nintendo's policies it's most likely going to be censored either way. Fortunately for everybody, the Genesis version should still have the blood and the signature Fatalities unlockable via cheat code.

Does TTL's SNES-CD receive the first Mortal Kombat, and if so, is it uncensored or censored? ITTL, Mortal Kombat II is uncensored on both SNES cartridge and SNES-CD.
Mortal Kombat's SNES port came out in 1993 in our world, so it could conceivably be on the CD, however given Nintendo's policies it's most likely going to be censored either way. Fortunately for everybody, the Genesis version should still have the blood and the signature Fatalities unlockable via cheat code.
It could be uncensored via code if either one push for it, regardless the congress will fuck with this per tradition

Mortal Kombat also comes to TTL's Sega CD, and is uncensored there as well.

Snatcher is released outside Japan on both SNES-CD and Sega CD.

TTL's Sega CD gets a port of The Town with No Name.

Maybe NEC turns their PC Engine into some sort of distribution label, with Hudson Soft remaining as their top games supplier?
That, and they actually support and give it their all with the console line as well.
https://necretro.org/NEC_Interchannel https://www.mobygames.com/company/interchannel-inc Like Interchannel just they Internalize HudsonSoft once they discontinue the PC-Engine? that could work. Maybe for other TL we could make PC engine more successful(fully stealing all of sega thunder...ummmm) but that would be for another TL.

Back on Topic, NEC becoming a third party is a nice butterfly and could lead some interesting scenarios.

I'm Still Surprised MK have to wait an extra year for it and the Sega CD never got MK2 at all either.

RIP PC/Turbo CD

TTL's Sega CD gets a port of The Town with No Name.
thanks for reminding me of that meme game, it missed the cut in P2S sadly.

ITTL, the Amiga CD-32 does even worse than in OTL due to the existence of the SNES-CD. Kang Fu (a game where you play as a Kangaroo with a machine gun) is butterflied away ITTL.

Last edited:
As for Sega CD titles, Phantasy Star IV is for the Sega CD ITTL, as was planned during early development IOTL. TTL's version has anime cutscenes that have Japanese audio and are subtitled in the English language versions.

ITTL, all three SNES Final Fantasy titles get released on cartridge in both North America and Europe. Final Fantasy IV is localized as Final Fantasy II as in OTL and P2S, then FFV is localized as FFIII like in P2S, and FFVI gets localized as FFIV. ITTL, Square decides to avoid the huge amounts of confusion that would result from restoring Japanese numbering, and localizes FFVII for the CD-based N64 as FFV, keeping the Famicom FFII and FFIII stuck in Japan ITTL.

Last edited:
(Sorry this latest post took so long to compose! I may consider not lumping all my replies together in one giant multi-post sometimes from now on.)

The replies in this multi-post aren't all in the same order as the posts they're responding to were originally, but here we go. Hold on to your overall suspenders, paisanos; this one's going to be a bit of a monster!

I've the document in my laptop when I'm on it will share it. I based the SNES CD on the rumored final version. https://imgur.io/VDQKmIY?r
@RandomDSdevel I found the pdf https://easyupload.io/otiae2 (everyone, 30 days file, download it fast) yeah the final prototype Nintendo was working with Phillips did have good raw power
Thanks. As for the Imgur magazine page scans you linked, I've also found those, and some others besides, in the first post of a ResetEra thread. You should've attached your files to your post, though, instead of using an external file-sharing site, especially one that isn't well-known.

But friendly reminder P2S was a 1991 pod,this one is a 1988 pod so things would be very different , more if we're aiming at a 1991 release date
How much do you think that could affect Philips's SNES-CD's development? What else might you have had in mind for its hardware now? Unlike that one other idea I had in the third part of this post in the parent thread, this timeline doesn't insert technological growth spurts anywhere, so I was just going to keep its power in about the same ballpark as our timeline's prototypes and the SNES's contemporary rivals, though I hadn't decided quite where yet — I like the idea of the SNES-CD being powerful, but I also didn't want to be too excessive there. Further timeline divergence will come later.

I feel like it might not be such a good idea to base this directly off of something already done, because to the people who are familiar with it it's going to be repetitive and to the people who aren't (like myself) references to the older one could easily become confusing.
The same,I would wish something more different to challenge everyone (myself Included)
Someone elsewhere pointing out to me that Player Two Start is a thing that exists was what started the gears turning, and I can think of some places where I can borrow things from it, but:
  • Aside from the obvious, I already have ideas on where this timeline can diverge from both our timeline and Player Two Start's; you might even see one or two hints of this already.
  • Any material that may end up paralleling any part of Player Two Start is something I'd adapt for this timeline and make its version of it — though with proper attribution, of course.
So, yes, I know being too similar to PTS is something I need to watch out for and try not to do. Also, I have all of the rest of you here in this thread to keep me honest.

I wish I could do a video game TL with as much divergency and realism as RySenkari's and Nivek's Player Two Start/Massively Multiplayer/Battle Royale SNES-CD TLs, if not more.
I'm not really all that well equipped to be doing a video game history AU myself, yet here we are. (Shrugs and smiles sheepishly.)
Also, fun fact that makes obvious sense in hindsight when you consider the third idea in my original post in the parent thread: this all started after I split it out of thinking how video game history could be different for a Sword Art Online fan fic idea I had.

(…Speaking of which, I need to put a bit more work in on that. That's also one thing, aside from otherwise bouncing around the 'Net, that might explain the occasional minor hiatus from me. I don't plan to leave this thread behind any time soon, though.)

Should I make my own attempt at a Nintendo-Philips TL sometime in the future or should I try something else video game-related?
Do whatever you want,is your TL is your writing
Agreed. Another take on a successful Nintendo/Philips team-up could well be interesting, if done right. Besides, you've been a forum member longer than me, anyway; you don't need to ask my permission for anything. (Just make sure to attribute your inspirations correctly, of course.)

If Phillips had as much power as Sony did in this timeline, then I have a pertinent question: Would the likes of Hotel Mario and Link: The Faces of Evil be unironically good games ITTL? Or would they just be butterflied?
I was just going to butterfly them away.

OTL super Mario wacky worlds showed the demo as decent if too basic game, but once Phillips failed to deliver the SNES CD and focused all on the CDI, Nintendo abandoned the project as they weren't interested. Ittl it could replace hotel Mario, about Zelda, if Phillips is truly pushing the SNES CD it would take more care than Phillips that rushed everything to desperation.

Seriously Phillips could have struck a gold mine but focused on fool's gold ( or tulips in their case
Yeah, Philips isn't going to rush things here, and Nintendo's going to be there every step of the way. Philips will only get to make and release games using first-party IPs if it can come up with good ideas for them, pitch and execute them well, and show that they've taken the requisite care with them during their expansion and development into actual games. I'll have to read more about what little people know about what Super Mario's Wacky Worlds was supposed to end up being in our timeline, but I'll see if I can't at least hint at there being more depth to the game in this timeline.

One thing I think TTL should do is not have the SNES-CD thoroughly overshadow the cartridge system like in Player Two Start.
Is up to Nintendo to ask the third party to pump more cartridges games, something they can't fully control.
Yeah is up to the developers when their games ends, Nintendo can push them with incentives to either format but at the end is their call,Unlike First Party games they can direct them whatever they want.
IIRC, the way Nintendo set things up in Player Two Start was that each third-party developer had to publish one SNES cartridge game for every SNES-CD title,
That was my idea and the rule was a game on each device per fiscal year for smaller developers, that was the silver bullet that not only allowed to the SNES to being supported on the short term but keep FMV studios out as that demanded them to make a real game for SNES too. Very useful isn't it?
3: I'm surprised that Yoshi's Island is just a SNES game. You'd think that by 1995, the dual release way would work best for vanilla SNES titles.
I think that what'll happen is that Nintendo will encourage developers to try their hardest to fit their games onto cartridges, or at least also have cartrdige releases for them, unless either:
  1. There's really no way they could do that or
  2. Their games fundamentally:
    • Need the SNES-CD's extra power or
    • Require SNES-CD–exclusive functionality
    to run.
Nintendo will also provide developer support in this area.

Super Metroid
Final Fantasy IV
Kirby's Avalanche
Puyo Puyo Tsu
I've listed some noteworthy SNES games not on that list you made-maybe this'll give some people ideas.
-Contra III*
-Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, 3
-F-Zero*
-Kirby Super Star
-Mega Man 7, X, X2, X3
-SimCity*
-Star Fox 2 (does this count?)
-Super Castlevania IV*
-Super Metroid
-Tetris Attack (or "Panel de Pon", whichever)
-TMNT: Turtles in Time*
-Zombies Ate My Neighbors

*Indicates game released before 1993, which appears to be when the SNES-CD comes out here: as such, these would most likely be for the regular SNES.
Add final fight to launch/early launch list
I had some of these in mind/on my backlog of games to add to the list already, but not all of them, so thanks for the reminders, everyone.

ITTL, Kirby's Avalanche (still a cartridge game) has the Offsetting mechanic introduced in Puyo Puyo Tsu, functioning similarly to how it did in that game.
Actually, I was thinking this timeline could see the original Puyo Puyo games release internationally as-is. The licensed/re-skinned spin-offs we got here in the West should still come out, too, though. They'd also see release in Japan in this timeline. The re-skins could still be different games, but maybe they wouldn't have to be? For example, they could be bonus content on the main Puyo Puyo games' cartridges or SNES-CD expansions of the original cartridge games. (Or maybe Nintendo could do its own version of Sega's 'lock-on technology,' in the vein of some later N64 cheat devices, and make both, for example, Puyo Puyo and Kirby's Avalanche cartridge games, and then you'd stack the latter on top of the former and get access to both games at once, plus maybe some additional bonus content. I don't know if that could happen without Nintendo running into legal issues with Sega, though. NIntendo wouldn't steal the gimmick's name, but, unless it got used on another SNES game before Sega used it for Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Sonic & Knuckles, they still wouldn't like the idea getting copied.)

The cartridge SNES will get Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem and Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest is still a cartridge game like OTL. The cartridge-exclusive Final Fantasy VI
Super Metroid is still a cartridge game ITTL, as are Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest
Mario Paint is still a cartridge release ITTL,
Super Metroid will Remain on Cartridge.
(Nods.) Yeah, I don't see any reason why these wouldn't still be cartridge games.

Final Fantasy IV gets a PAL release ITTL, as does the cartridge-only Final Fantasy VI.
Yup, let's do that. (Grins.) All the regions get all the thingsgames!

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest
still a cartridge game ITTL
give Mystic Quest…a dual release
Player Two Start makes Final Fantasy: New Generation, its counterpart to Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest, exclusive to the SNES-CD, AFAICR/IIRC, but I don't see any reason why it, too, couldn't also fit on a cartridge; it did in our timeline. Let's make this timeline's Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest a dual release. (Maybe the SNES-CD version has some exclusive content, though? I don't know what that could be, however.)

TTL's Donkey Kong Country Trilogy are SNES-CD exclusives,
No, let's keep these cartridge-only.

One idea I had for TTL's Final Fantasy VI (still a cartridge game) is that Gogo still has access to Throw even if you don't wait for Shadow. Also, it's possible to suplex Kefka during the Battle of Narshe ITTL.
I haven't played Final Fantasy Ⅵ (or any Final Fantasy game, actually,) so I'd have to do some minor research to see what you're talking about here.

Contra III could get an updated re-release or just Konami moving to Contra IV for SNES-CD
I'd lean towards Contra IV-updated rereleases are more Capcom's thing than Konami's.
Nice [idea], make[s sense. So yes
Contra Ⅳ as an SNES-CD release it is, then.

the Mouse is compatible with both cartridge and CD.
19: I like that the SNES Mouse is compatible with SNES-CD titles, but what could support it there?
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. (Addendum: Oh, wait; never mind, CourtlyHades296 mentioned one possible title: Dark Castle.)

Final Fantasy VI gets localized by Ted Woolsey as Final Fantasy III, and released in both the US and Europe. Square gave Ted Woolsey two months to localize FFVI rather than the one month that OTL's Woolsey got, resulting in an opera scene where the lyrics match the singing.
If anything square should send him the script once is finalized so he can start with spare time
Yup, Ted Woolsey shouldn't have to rush this localization.

RIP PC/Turbo CD
I'm not into horror games, but let's still give this to the PC Engine's CD-ROM²/TurboGrafx-CD, but as a timed exclusive.

I can Imagine Capcom pushing SF in both formats,
Street Fighter II Turbo is a launch title as well.
give Street Fighter all its OTL releases for the CD ITTL,
One idea I had was Capcom skips the home console version of Super Street Fighter II so that Super Street Fighter II Turbo is released on the SNES-CD and Saturn, with the latter being a launch title.
Not quite as sure about this as your other ideas, to be honest.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Street_Fighter_II too much money left on the table to not doing it, especially the SNES CD
And SNES CD get the turbo too,too much money left on the table otherwise
ITTL, Street Fighter II (original) is cartridge SNES only, while Champion Edition is released for Genesis and Turbo-Grafx. Turbo is the first one released on SNES-CD.
Let's give Street Fighter all the same releases as it got in our timeline. We can decide which titles get what release platform(s) later.

Mario and Zelda were suggested earlier but I feel like putting Super Mario World or Link to the Past on a peripheral only isn't going to work out too well...how about an alternative?
Mario and Zelda would get fully original titles on it,
1: Does this mean that Super Mario World 1 and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past would be ported to the SNES-CD? If so, could these ports be launch titles for the peripheral to beef up the platform?
I feel that Super Mario World and A Link to the Past should remain cartridge exclusives, as should Mario All-Stars.
  • Super Mario All-Stars (Japan: July 14th, 1993; US: August 11th, 1993; PAL regions: December 16th, 1993)
  • Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World (December 1994)
I think the former is cartridge timed exclusive and the latter like OTL becomes a bundled/ general release for cartridge and a late port all five games for SNES-CD
  • Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (Japan: March 9th, 1996; US: May 13th, 1996)
By that date, CD make more sense unless Nintendo is still holding up cartridge releases.... 50/50?
Wacky Worlds should absolutely be a CD release.
Super Mario World's original release and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past remain cartridge exclusives. Super Mario All-Stars is a timed cartridge exclusive. Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World is a dual release. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars is an SNES-CD exclusive.

The SNES-CD's exclusive Mario title will be Super Mario's Wacky Worlds. I don't know what The Legend of Zelda's SNES-CD–exclusive title's going to be yet aside from that I may well not want it to be a port of Player Two Start's The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Dreams to this timeline.

I wonder if there's anything that could get Ken Kutaragi to defect from Sony at some point and either:
  • Start or become part of a spin-off company or
  • Go to work for Nintendo.
A similarly skilled colleague should probably stay behind at Sony, though.
Maybe Sony have no hurry to release a console when Ken believes they could have one ready to compete against Nintendo by 1991/1992. (Japan and US respectively)(It wouldn't be the same as OTL one but still would look like a cheaper and better-done 3DO with comparable 3D) make Ken fight and when ignored he just walks away...
(Nods.) Sony's first PlayStation didn't come out until 1994 in our timeline either, anyway.

…SNK, Capcom and others would love his Audio and 3D expertise. Especially SNK as they did release a CD-based Console(Neo Geo CD that because production mistake, was very overpriced at the launch door and lacked 3D processors )
I guess that puts a vote in for him to be in his own company, then? He could do contract work for both Nintendo and others that way.
Yeah, I think this'll happen. Now the only question is 'when, exactly?'

About Sony, already having the SNES audio experience alongside msx they would saw they money on the table and want their own share. Would they going alone as OTL? Looks for a partner? SNK? Tailto? Someone else?
I hadn't considered Sony partnering with anyone else, but that could be interesting. Taito didn't make any non-arcade hardware, as far as I can tell, but SNK… — hmm… I see that the Neo Geo CD did poorly in part due to its use of only a 1x CD drive and the Hyper Neo Geo 64 didn't get a non-arcade counterpart. SNK mostly produces fighting games, at least historically; sticking to a single genre probably didn't help its market share. Would Sony be that eager to work with them? I can't think of any other companies that produced consoles at around that time which Sony might want to join forces with.
Actually, now that I've read/brushed up on TV Tropes's 'Useful Notes' page for the SNES-CD, a Sony/Sega team-up doesn't seem implausible. I may have to think about it some more.
OTL there was a reason, either Kutaragi in japan fumbled their meeting or that was just a passing comment by Olaf to Kalinske it was never taken seriously by SoJ. Still I think Sega alone not fucking up the Saturn would be interesting
I'm looking forward to a possible Sony/Sega collaboration. That rarely happens on this website.
Cofcofcof https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/the-sega-generation.439579/;config you need to read more.
So I disagree, let's see what SEGA do themselves here
Another idea would be to have Sega and SNK team up starting with the fifth generation. Either that, or Sega helps SNK make a better Neo Geo CD first. I haven't definitively settled on whether I really want to have any other companies beside Nintendo and Philips partner up for this timeline yet.

Super Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (US: June 1st, 1993; Japan: December 17th, 1993; Europe: February 24th, 1994) The CD version includes cinematic cutscenes, probably excerpted from Star Wars Episode Ⅴ: The Empire Strikes Back.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Star_Wars:_The_Empire_Strikes_Back#Development plus the asteroid chaser minigame as an exclusive one of the CD version.
Good catch; I'll add that in.

Star Fox (Japan: February 21st, 1993; US: March 26th, 1993; continental Europe/EU: June 3rd, 1993; UK: June 5th, 1993) (Note: Unlike Player Two Start, any fully-voiced cutscenes in this timeline's version of the game are animated, not live-action film of puppets; I'm not referencing E3 2015 here.)
JAJAJAJ, that was an idea OTL stole from us, not the reverse, JAJAJAJ
(Snorts as they break out in raucous laughter.) 🤣, very funny. Of course, we can't possibly know that's where they got the idea, but that would be hilarious.

6: I honestly would prefer animated cutscenes for Star Fox over puppet cutscenes. Leave the puppetry to the advertisements, …
Those were my sentiments, too.

…and give the cutscene job to Studio Pierrot. Or to Warner Bros. Animation, if we're feeling an American artstyle for the characters.
Why might Pierrot be a good choice for a studio if Star Fox's animation was anime-style? I feel like I'm missing some context here. WB if animation in the style of American cartoons were used is something I could see, though, given Looney Toons/Merrie Melodies. Star Fox isn't really as silly as Looney Toons, but WB had already started airing one or more of its DC animated universe titles, and those can be more serious. Star Fox doesn't get as dark as some DC content, but the latter showed that WB could handle more serious material.

EarthBound (Japan: August 27th, 1994; US: June 5th, 1995) (Note: It'd be nice if this timeline could also have gotten the original Mother over to the West instead of having to wait for EarthBound: Beginnings, but that might push our point of divergence back?)
Our POD is 1988 so is possible they could have released Earthbound Beginnings without his subtitle as a residual butterfly(the game was ready to go so wouldn't be a problem)
8: Perhaps EarthBound: Beginnings can be localized as such in 1996, much sooner than IOTL. This could keep our PoD the same as intended.
Either of those could work, but I'm leaning towards liking Nivek's idea better.

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (the latter has elements of P2S's Final Fantasy: New Generation).
Yup, I already said as much if you overlooked it:
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (with some elements borrowed from Player Two Start's Final Fantasy: New Generation)

Point of Divergence:
Philips has the same amount of technical expertise and extant research and development as Sony by the time Nintendo starts looking to make the SNES's disc system add-on.
This kind of isn't our PoD, really, though, since other things would have to change before then to put Philips in this position. Does anybody have any ideas as to what the differences here could be?
If Phillips had as much power as Sony did in this timeline,
Quite how this happens is still an unanswered question I need ideas on how to answer.

Having NEC not mishandle the PC Engine's international release as the TurboGrafx-16, and the same with the PC Engine CD-ROM²/TurboGrafx-CD, could prove interesting, but I don't know if that'd fit in here.
This could be another good timeline with itself and the butterfly why others take the CD more seriously during the fourth generation.
What will NEC do too?
With regard to this timeline, I don't know yet. That's another area where I'm open to suggestions.
Nothing else to add or share? We need to organize what SEGA,Sony,nec et all will do
That this still remains an open question hasn't changed yet. That being said:
Maybe NEC turns their PC Engine into some sort of distribution label, with Hudson Soft remaining as their top games supplier?
That, and they actually support and give it their all with the console line as well.
https://necretro.org/NEC_Interchannel https://www.mobygames.com/company/interchannel-inc Like Interchannel just they Internalize HudsonSoft once they discontinue the PC-Engine? that could work. …(Snipped…) .

Back on Topic, NEC becoming a third party is a nice butterfly and could lead some interesting scenarios.
As you'll recall, Sega's already going to do better in this timeline with respect to their own hardware (and software) sales and performance, and I'd be open to this happening for NEC, too, while we're butterflying competition back into existence. If NEC could also keep making consoles, then that'd be nice, too. I also don't want to expand this thread's scope beyond what I can handle, though — I'm already in a bit over my head as it is, albeit still having fun anyway! — or otherwise make it too large, so we'll see.

However, I do have another idea for early on: Launch the SNES-CD add-on in 1990 as well, and make a bundle package at launch for both of them. That way, we don't get peeved parents who are forced to buy two separate things so close to each other. We just get a couple of peeved children who are mad they didn't get the bundle for Christmas. Either way, it's a sale on Nintendo's end.
That'd be nice, but I was assuming that development for Philips's SNES CD add-on would take about as long as Sony's 'Nintendo PlayStation' one did in our timeline. Therefore, it wouldn't even get announced until mid-1991. If you can think of any development that could accelerate that timeline, please do share it. There should naturally still be an SNES/SNES-CD bundle after the accessory's launch, though.
It had a North American launch in the summer of 1993, being released in Japan in Spring that year.
We dunno yet when the addon will be release
With TTL's SNES-CD releasing in 1993
But friendly reminder P2S was a 1991 pod,this one is a 1988 pod so things would be very different , more if we're aiming at a 1991 release date
5: When do you plan to launch the SNES-CD? My guess is November 1992, but it could be before or after that.
I still don't have a good idea of when the best time for Philips's SNES-CD to launch in this timeline would be. This also depends on how its development cycle goes, which is also something I don't yet have a good-enough grasp of.

(Maybe if I can find any mention of the window when the SNES-CD was originally supposed to launch in our timeline before complications arose, that could give me a better idea of what to use for this timeline's SNES-CD's launch date target… I'm still thinking it'd also get announced at CES in mid-1991 like Sony thought, as in our timeline, but, again, I'm not sure what a reasonable gap between announcement and release would be.)

Super Mario's Wacky Worlds (for SNES-CD, I think?) (Potential release date undecided.)
I would say early life, any Nintendo system needs a Mario game.
(Nods.) Ideally, it'd make the peripheral's launch date (or at least its launch window.)

An SNES-CD Darius game, maybe called Darius CD. (The PC Engine CD-ROM² entry was called Super Darius, though.)
Taking a page from Japanese names... Darius Spirits or CD Romance/Romantic(and a nice jab to NEC)
I'll add those as other naming ideas for it.

Star Wars Arcade
Could Run IT but is a Sega-developed OTL so game so will not be coming, unless Lucasarts do the port themselves.
Ah, now that's a detail I either overlooked or hadn't noticed yet; thanks for pointing it out.

Star Wars: Rebel Assault
YES easily.

Star Wars: Rebel Assault Ⅱ: The Hidden Empire
A FMV railshooter, will run it easily.
I'll add those to the list, then.

Star Wars: Dark Forces
As we plan SNES-CD to Run DOOM, yeah, like Doom with clever programming to squeeze the SNES-CD.
Whether this timeline's SNES-CD might get a Doom port depends on its specs, potentially, but I'll add both as possibilities, at least.

Seems lucasarts will become the most popular developer for SNES-CD
I know, right? Maybe — hopefully — this butterflies the studio's drought, including its audience-alienating era, from 2006 to between 2019, when it started to let up, and now away.

7: Maybe it's just me, but I think the Tour of Duty expansions are worthy of two individual physical releases at this time.
No, I'd like us to try and figure different ways different developers, publishers, and games could handle expansions for SNES-CD games — and maybe even SNES cartridge games, too — out.

• Star Wars: X-Wing: Collector's CD-ROM (Notes:
    • If the original SNES Star Wars: X-Wing's SNES release was delayed from February 1993 to 1994, then does this collector's edition need an SNES release? If it was a straight re-bundle, I'd say no, but it's actually a slight remaster/remake using the updated engine from Star Wars: TIE Fighter.
9: I'd argue that the X-Wing Collector's Bundle does not need a SNES release, as that would be three cartridges in a bundle, too much packaging to get through, and at least one dozen unhappy shoppers. Better stick with the CD version to bundle them all in.
Look at what category those titles are under again; both the original X-Wing games' individual releases and their Collector's Edition bundle are exclusive to the SNES-CD.

• If my crazy thought of giving this timeline early online and making free and paid updates available for players holds any water, then are the Collector's Edition updates also available for owners of the original version as an update?)
10: Oh, no. I'm all for early online acessability, but in the freaking 16-bit era? No thank you!
…Eh-heh, yeah, I probably didn't think that one through far enough. If owners of the original individual releases wanted the updates from the Collector's Edition without buying it, they'd have to get them another way, if they even could.

A new Enemies of the Empire expansion. (Does this also see separate release in this timeline?)
11: Refer to my X-Wing expansion idea for how I feel about Defenders and Enemies for TIE Fighter. And for extra profit margins, release Enemies of the Empire separately.
My comment on those in this post applies here and to them, too; remember, they're exclusive to the SNES-CD. Also, cool; the Enemies of the Empire expansion will see separate release outside the Collector's Edition in this timeline, though players will still need the base game to enjoy it.

Localize Fire Emblem, FFVI, and the Dragon Quest games
(Nods with some enthusiasm.) Localizing all the thingsgames? Certainly; I also favor doing that!

Street Fighter…, but with a Nintendo-exclusive fighter
I don't know what a SNES–/SNES-CD–exlsuive Street Fighter game would be, but I can keep having one as a bonus on top of all the other Street Fighter releases the console and its peripheral get in mind.

keep the Darius and Road Fighter titles you mentioned and put them on the SNES/SNES-CD, port all three of those games for the CD regardless of launch date
Roger! Those will either start out as SNES cartridge games and get an SNES-CD port later on, be a dual release to start with, or be exclusive to the SNES-CD to begin with, though I haven't decided which yet, not for either of them.

20: Maybe porting the Satellaview games stateside could give online access to Nintendo, …
Depends on how large their file sizes are, really.

…but I'm not taking any chances with other developers around this time.
There were third-party Satellaview games, too, but I get what you're saying.

One thing I would like to add regarding you mentioning Sega and timed exclusives, even OTL Sega has released some of their games on PC during the 90s, so if they continue making consoles then perhaps Sega would be in a position similar to Sony now where the bulk of their games remain exclusively on consoles but will do the occasional PC port.
Fair enough, but is there be any chance that any of those PC ports would see further ports to other, non-Sega consoles?

Does TTL's SNES-CD receive the first Mortal Kombat, and if so, is it uncensored or censored?
It could be uncensored via code if either one push for it, regardless the congress will fuck with this per tradition
That could be a butterfly, another Phillips Publishing the CD version themselves in that regard.
In a rare case of Philips getting involved in the release of an SNES cartridge game, the company (co-)publishes Mortal Kombat in both its SNES cartridge and SNES-CD release formats.

I wonder if there's anything that could push the ratings controversy earlier? Is there a game that could've triggered it early?

Summarizing this thread's current outstanding questions:
  • How does Philips gain as much technical expertise in this timeline as Sony has in ours?
  • When does Philips's SNES-CD launch in this timeline?
  • What do we do with NEC, if anything different from our timeline?
  • What do we do about the Satellaview games to also get them, or at least the good ones, over here in the West in this timeline, too? (Note: I may have some more thoughts on this; I'll add them later in a new post.)
  • What are some different ways different developers, publishers, and games could handle expansions for SNES-CD games (and maybe even SNES cartridge games, too.)

Here's what I'm going to work on next:
  • Adding Player Two Start's SNES-CD to my specs comparison chart.
  • Updating my partial SNES/SNES-CD software lineup listing:
    • With decisions on titles' target platforms that we've now finalized.
    • By fleshing it out by adding more games to it, starting with:
      • Adding the titles you've all put forward.
      • Giving the ones I'd already noted down to add proper list entries.
    (I'll do a more thorough pass of our timeline's releases later.)

Ooo-kay, I think I've covered most everything new and relevant since my last post,, though there are a few other things I might comment on later. Let me know if I missed something, by any chance.

Also, finally: congratulations if you made it all the through this giant glob of a wall of text.

Last edited: