'Minus World: New Game Plus' — A Successful Philips SNES-CD Timeline

Note to self for future reference:

This timeline should consider averting Camelot Software Planning's fate of later/eventually getting stuck making only Mario sports titles from and as in our timeline. Also consider seeing if ways can be found to do this without butterflying both:
  • the Golden Sun games and
  • the good post-Camelot/Sega Shining games
away. (The latter could happen under different names, perhaps?)

Note to self for future reference:

This timeline should consider averting Camelot Software Planning's fate of later/eventually getting stuck making only Mario sports titles from and as in our timeline. Also consider seeing if ways can be found to do this without butterflying both:
  • the Golden Sun games and
  • the good post-Camelot/Sega Shining games
away. (The latter could happen under different names, perhaps?)
After searching their name online, I have a good protocol for averting Camelot's fate:
  • Make Camelot a multiplatform developer with a preference for Nintendo consoles. That way, they can remain in charge of the Shining series with Sega, retain the Mario license from Nintendo, and the Everybody's Golf series for Sony.
  • Later on, have Golden Sun be Nintendo's equivalent to Shining Force, an original RPG created in addition to utilizing the publisher's mascot. Kind of like how Intelligent Systems is notable for both Fire Emblem and Paper Mario.
That way, the newer Shining games are made by Camelot but owned by Sega, Nintendo keeps Golden Sun in production, and the studio itself is publicly known for more than sports spinoffs.

Apologies, all; updates here are going to be more irregular for a short while. I'll post something when I have it.
All right, so, unfortunately, I've officially had to mark this thread's update frequency as 'irregular' in its OP now, at least for the time being. It may be some time before I can regain momentum here, but I'll let everyone know when I have more time to dedicate to this.

Is this still alive…
(Sticks his hand or flails his legs out from beneath a mountainous heap's worth of a pile of tetrominos.) Ah, hey there. See the above.

…and a collab? …
In the same sense as before, of 'submit a PRsuggestion or proposal and I'll mergeinclude it if I like it.

(…I still need to go back and update the OP to make it more explicit and clear and clarifythat the contribution model here is somewhat in line with the FLOSS development workflow, as I have yet to do that.)

…If so, then I have a few ideas myself.
Sure, go ahead and shoot and we'll see what lands.

All right, so, unfortunately, I've officially had to mark this thread's update frequency as 'irregular' in its OP now, at least for the time being. It may be some time before I can regain momentum here, but I'll let everyone know when I have more time to dedicate to this.

(Sticks his hand or flails his legs out from beneath a mountainous heap's worth of a pile of tetrominos.) Ah, hey there. See the above.

In the same sense as before, of 'submit a PRsuggestion or proposal and I'll mergeinclude it if I like it.

(…I still need to go back and update the OP to make it more explicit and clear and clarifythat the contribution model here is somewhat in line with the FLOSS development workflow, as I have yet to do that.)

Sure, go ahead and shoot and we'll see what lands.
Cool!

right, so, unfortunately, I've officially had to mark this thread's update frequency as 'irregular' in its OP now, at least for the time being. It may be some time before I can regain momentum here, but I'll let everyone know when I have more time to dedicate to this.
That's normal, you're busy with RL and that's normal, regardless there a lot of ideas to organized, that way the TL could get further too

While I'm still away from this thread and mostly inactive in it, definitely please feel free to chime in with any ideas you might have to come up with for:
  • Any NES accessories that are exclusive to Japan in our timeline that could come out internationally, at least in the US, in this timeline, as long as they could see release abroad after this timeline's (current) PoD in 1988.

(For example, I'm mildly curious to see if there's any chance, however, small, that the Family BASIC keyboard could get a late international release. If that happened, then maybe the SNES could get a keyboard later, to complement the mouse it got in our timeline and also gets in this one?)
  • More examples of any other titles that saw release for:

• NEC PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 and PC Engine CD-ROM[SUP]2[/SUP]/TurboGrafx-CD
    • Sega Genesis and Sega CD
    • MS-DOS and early Windows
    • Classic Mac OS

in our timeline that could also or instead see release on the SNES or SNES-CD in this timeline.
  • More examples of any other titles that only released in Japan in our timeline but which could and/or should see release abroad in this timeline.

Last edited:
@RandomDSdevel If you're still planning for the SNES-CD ITTL to see release in 1991, then may I suggest moving The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past to the SNES-CD as a launch title for that system? Maybe have it serve as a sort of parallel to the SNES launch title Super Mario World, being more ambitious and adventurous in scope compared to the colourful and kiddy world of SMW? Maybe keep the scrapped dual sci-fi/fantasy setting that was supposed to be featured in this game, and also, the first Legend of Zelda as well? If executive meddling SOMEHOW doesn't get in the way and Nintendo thinks that the bigger CD format could allow for such a setting? Maybe keep the planned party system as well instead of cutting it?

@RandomDSdevel If you're still planning for the SNES-CD ITTL to see release in 1991, then may I suggest moving The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past to the SNES-CD as a launch title for that system? Maybe have it serve as a sort of parallel to the SNES launch title Super Mario World, being more ambitious and adventurous in scope compared to the colourful and kiddy world of SMW? Maybe keep the scrapped dual sci-fi/fantasy setting that was supposed to be featured in this game, and also, the first Legend of Zelda as well? If executive meddling SOMEHOW doesn't get in the way and Nintendo thinks that the bigger CD format could allow for such a setting? Maybe keep the planned party system as well instead of cutting it?
That ball is on Nintendo court, but funny thing a lot of arguments to moved it to CD could be the same to stay on vanilla snes...they still need to sell and support the system

Interesting that seems square took miyamoto ideas for the mana series, as partners system and dual sci-fi and fantasy were the staples of the first two mana

As one way to distinguish TTL from P2S, TTL's version of Chrono Trigger (SNES-CD) has 1999 AD as a fully visitable era, as well as a Zeal Lives On ending accomplished by defeating Lavos at the Ocean Palace.

OK, somehow this timeline thread of mine has a TV Tropes page already:

…I was far from ready for this, and this thread isn't mature enough yet, either. Also, some of the information on that page jumps to at least one conclusios we haven't made yet. I may fix that. (Edit: This is now done.)

Last edited:
OK, somehow this timeline thread of mine has a TV Tropes page already:

…I was far from ready for this, and this thread isn't mature enough yet, either. Also, some of the information on that page jumps to at least one conclusios we haven't made yet. I may fix that. (Edit: This is now done.)
i THINK i know who wrote that...that guy can't take a NO for an answer

One thing I want to do with TTL's Final Fantasy VI (SNES): The game has General Leo survive the events at Thamasa, and join your party to take on the Floating Continent.

Last edited:
One thing I want to do with TTL's Final Fantasy VI (SNES): The game has General Leo survive the events at Thamasa, and join your party to take on the Floating Continent.
Could this be a gameplay path branch point, perhaps? Maybe you have some kind of deadline you have to save him by? (Or would that still fit on the cartridge?)

Could this be a gameplay path branch point, perhaps? Maybe you have some kind of deadline you have to save him by? (Or would that still fit on the cartridge?)
You have 40 seconds to save him with Terra, and almost all of the OTL Dummied content was removed from the cartridge to make room for saving Leo and the content it provides.

I think FFVI might be moved to CD, depends if Nintendo pushes as dual release or just square wants the bigger profit margin