'Minus World: New Game Plus' — A Successful Philips SNES-CD Timeline

I think a 1988 POD might be early enough for that.
Sega never cared about Handheld, they only got into it when Citizen offered the unfinished prototype of the colour screen they were making for the portable NES that evolved into the Gameboy (before Yokoi Threw a tantrum he wanted his dot matrix monochrome to win but only won because Yamauchi was wary of giving too much power to Ricoh as Satoru Okada team wanted a portable 6502 over the sharp custom CPU. Regardless SEGA still has the same problem, focusing on too much stuff and abandoning once they failed to get the initial success they thought would have. Regardless they still have the problem of Game Gear having too miserable battery life and eating up too much batteries.

Aside from this thread's main premise of Philips being the one to build a successful SNES-CD, then basically yes…at first, anyway. More opportunities for potential future divergences unique to this thread are definitely something I'm keeping an eye out for so I can take advantage of them.

Could we perhaps see a Super Mario World 2 developed in-house by Nintendo for the SNES-CD ITTL?
That's is not yoshi island? Possible but I think Nintendo might wait till wacky worlds is ready to take the reactions and opinions of said game first,plus I don't think Nintendo will want to disrupt novalogic/Phillips works so they would wait till say title is ready.
Is it possible to see Mother 3 as a SNES-CD game ITTL?
If mother 2 doesn't caught the same OTL development gripes it could be possible...

That's is not yoshi island? Possible but I think Nintendo might wait till wacky worlds is ready to take the reactions and opinions of said game first,plus I don't think Nintendo will want to disrupt novalogic/Phillips works so they would wait till say title is ready.
No, I mean a true successor to Super Mario World. Basically Super Mario Bros. 5. Well, can Nintendo at least help with Philips on development on Super Mario's Wacky Worlds, so that the game can have that extra Japanese flair to it? Or can Nintendo develop SMW2 first, with Philips/NovaLogic conceiving SMWW later on as a late-life SNES-CD game, pushing the system's capabilites to it's absolute limits?

No, I mean a true successor to Super Mario World. Basically Super Mario Bros. 5. Well, can Nintendo at least help with Philips on development on Super Mario's Wacky Worlds, so that the game can have that extra Japanese flair to it? Or can Nintendo develop SMW2 first, with Philips/NovaLogic conceiving SMWW later on as a late-life SNES-CD game, pushing the system's capabilites to it's absolute limits?
Did you even read my post at all? Or you ignore it? The whole point is that Nintendo will not do something could make WW looks bad as could affect its sales and Phillips, plus is the invaluable experience how others works on Mario and see what do and what not to do, do a SMB5 would come much later if even at all, that's up Nintendo after the reactions of WW

Did you even read my post at all? Or you ignore it? The whole point is that Nintendo will not do something could make WW looks bad as could affect its sales and Phillips, plus is the invaluable experience how others works on Mario and see what do and what not to do, do a SMB5 would come much later if even at all, that's up Nintendo after the reactions of WW
Yes, I did. And now that I think about it, SMWW followed by a SMB5 is probably more realistic, as Nintendo would wait until WW is finished, so that they can start work on SMB5 after their reactions to WW.

While I'm mostly away from this thread to focus on a couple of other things for bit, might it make any sense for:
  • Any Game Boy Advance games from our timeline to be ports of Phillips SNES-CD counterparts for them in this timeline in this thread?
  • Metroid: Zero Mission to be one of these, for instance?

• Any Game Boy Advance games from our timeline to be ports of Phillips SNES-CD counterparts for them in this timeline in this thread?
  • Metroid: Zero Mission to be one of these, for instance?
It would fit Flaweslly as a remake of NES Metroid for CD(The same Kid Icarus, either for CD or Cartidge) AND WOULD WORK Flawesly, another would be that Nintendo and Konami(it was a coproduction) dating sim named Mein liebe, the rest...well the Super Mario advance games are redundant with super Mario all stars.

Another one I can see happening is a remake of final fantasy adventure/seiken densetsu 1 for SNES, maybe cartridge as the sequel would be for CD

Last edited:
It would fit Flaweslly as a remake of NES Metroid for CD(The same Kid Icarus, either for CD or Cartidge) AND WOULD WORK Flawesly, another would be that Nintendo and Konami(it was a coproduction) dating sim named Mein liebe, the rest...well the Super Mario advance games are redundant with super Mario all stars.

Another one I can see happening is a remake of final fantasy adventure/seiken densetsu 1 for SNES, maybe cartridge as the sequel would be for CD
Speaking of Mario All-Stars, the game's source code from the gigaleak actually has references to two placeholder names of the game: Super Mario Zanmai... and Super Mario CD. (Source, in case you're interested.) Seems to have originally been a SNES-CD game, and I could see it working well as a pack-in title (remaking older games to show just how much more powerful the add-on is.) Through in some interviews with Miyamoto and Co. about the development of the originals and you can even show off the FMV capabilities!

By the way, I've been planning out a Philips-Nintendo timeline of my own since summer 2022, only recently finding this thread. I've gotten a decent chunk of work up to 2000 done, though I'll admit there's a fair bit of stuff that I'm not really knowledgeable on. I'd be more than happy to share my ideas with you all, if you're willing!

Last edited: