Mikroraptor's Historical Map thread

Hello, all! I have been making historical maps as an educational resource, and I think that they could also be useful for making AH projects. These maps are made using multiple sources, and as such I attempt to choose the most accurate borders, but it is still guesswork.

I will post a labeled and blank version of most of these maps. If you wish to use these for your own projects, feel free, but please credit me.

Thanks!
-Mikroraptor

The Ancient Near East
sumerians.png

My first historical map, the city states of Sumeria
akadian empire under sargon.png

The Akkadian Empire
akadian empire under manishtushu.png

akadian empire under rimush.png

akadian empire under naram-sin.png

akadian empire at shar-kalli-shari (its collapse).png

Ancient Near East part 2
babylonians.png

700s B.C.E
Uman-Manda is an Assyrian word for the Scythians
assyrian empire and elam.png

c. 645 BCE
Neo-Assyrian Empire
assyrian empire and elam 1.png

639 BCE
The Neo-Assyrian Empire reaches its greatest extent.
The next maps show a progression over the course of about 30 years, leading to the fall of Neo-Assyria, and the rise of the Median and Neo-Babylonian empires.
assyrian empire and elam 2.png
assyrian empire and elam 3.png

assyrian empire and elam 4.png

babylonian empire and median empire.png

Neo-Babylonian and Median empires

Great maps! Only nitpick I have is in my particular area of expertise: the Celts.

The Germanic cultures seem to have a Rhine border with the Celtic cultures already in the 600s BCE but this isn’t quite accurate.

226EF948-BF1F-4305-8100-37EACE194A1A.png

As you can see here, the Hallstatt and La Tène cultures that are described as Celtic culture today is largely based around modern Bavaria and dominates the southern Rhine the Danube areas. Also, your maps have an entirely “Celtic” Iberia which was very much not the case (particularly in the 600s BCE.) Celtic migration into Iberia, Britain, and the Balkans up to modern Ukraine did not start until considerable later (more into the 300s and 200s BCE) and Iberia was never entirely Celtic.

Basically, you’re using later generalizations propagated by Caesar on the boundaries between the Celtic and Germanic peoples as well as making them significantly more widespread than they were at the time.

Great maps! Only nitpick I have is in my particular area of expertise: the Celts.

The Germanic cultures seem to have a Rhine border with the Celtic cultures already in the 600s BCE but this isn’t quite accurate.

View attachment 448047

As you can see here, the Hallstatt and La Tène cultures that are described as Celtic culture today is largely based around modern Bavaria and dominates the southern Rhine the Danube areas. Also, your maps have an entirely “Celtic” Iberia which was very much not the case (particularly in the 600s BCE.) Celtic migration into Iberia, Britain, and the Balkans up to modern Ukraine did not start until considerable later (more into the 300s and 200s BCE) and Iberia was never entirely Celtic.

Basically, you’re using later generalizations propagated by Caesar on the boundaries between the Celtic and Germanic peoples as well as making them significantly more widespread than they were at the time.
You are absolutely correct. This was one of the first maps I made, and i should have revised it

Tribes of the Celtae
celtae tribes1.png

To make up for myinncuracies on the previous map, I have made a map ot the Celtic tribes, though I might have the Celtiberians a little off. Also included are Ligurians, Veneti, and Vasconians

The Very Beginning: The spread of Hominid Species in Africa, Part 1
Hominins1l.png

C. 7 MA
Hominins2l.png

C. 6.2 MA
Hominins3l.png

C. 5.7 MA
Hominins4l.png

C. 5.3 MA
Hominins5l.png

C. 5.1 MA
Hominins6l.png

C. 4.8 MA
Hominins7l.png

C. 4.6 MA
Hominins8l.png

C. 4.5 MA
Hominins9l.png

C. 4.4 MA
Hominins10l.png

C. 4.1 MA

NOTE: All borders are approximated based on fossil evidence and local geography. Dates are approximate also.

I am going to start over, going from the spread of humans out of Africa to the modern day, and I will probably redo most of the maps seen above