Mikhail Gorbachev Reforms successful

Had Mikhail Gorbachev reforms succeed and USSR survived .what would the rest of 90's and 21 century look like with 2 superpowers.

The consensus from previous discussions about this is that the rot was too extensive for Gorbachev's reforms to have worked, to save the USSR you need a much earlier PoD that results in the Soviets being able to restructure their economy. If they manage it then you will have a continuation of much of the politics of the Cold War era, the threat of nuclear war will remain but depending on events it may be on a lesser scale. You would still have proxy wars, the Gulf War may still have happened but I doubt the Iraq War would have. It would be interesting how the Soviets would react to Islamist terrorism, they would have a series of potential flashpoints in Chechnya and Central Asia so if there is a "war on terror" of some kind the Soviets maybe involved in some way.

I heard that Lenin used something of a mixedmodel of capitalism and communism. What if that model continued? would that work?

I heard that Lenin used something of a mixedmodel of capitalism and communism. What if that model continued? would that work?

The NEP...I think people say that it's unlikely to continue unless Bukharin gets into power, which in of itself is unlikely...:eek:

The last opportunity to enact perestroika reforms closed in the 1960s (and even then, they could only have been enacted without glasnost). Gorbachev's reforms could never be successful, and the less said about their implementation, the better.

There are a multitude of ways to save the Soviet Union, but Gorbachev isn't one of them.