Micro-Worlda Development/Showcase Thread

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by Tangle, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Valdore Javorsky That Nightrise Mapper Dude

what's h-bam

2. Tangle Kerbal Crasher

The Federalized Republic of Howard's Landing
    No, they forgot about the WorldM.

3. Lord Hastur of Carcosa Unspeakable

And what about the Marsa?

4. Tangle Kerbal Crasher

It's about Earth maps, since the Mars maps are all based off of the sizes of the Earth Maps.

5. CtrlAltHistory Please, call me Control.

I just found this and I love it. Time to make small little inset maps on this instead of shrinking a Worlda map in Paint! Should save a lot of time placing pixels and whatnot.

6. False Dmitri Я хочу пельменей

I also just stumbled on this nice thread. I think it will be useful for when you want a map that shows broad trends and where details are not as important, like this one. I made it as a QBAM a while ago, but it honestly is better small.

anglosphere micro.png

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  7. False Dmitri Я хочу пельменей

Playing around a little more...

Patch for Antarctica. I used the standard colors from the Worlda series because the scheme used above makes it very hard to distinguish Britain from Argentina.

micro worlda antarctica.png

And here is an all grey version with borders but no boxes. Maybe someone will find it useful.

micro-worlda.png

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  8. False Dmitri Я хочу пельменей

Hey, I know I am late to the party, but are the keepers of this map accepting modifications? Specifically, there are parts on the map that seem off-scale or slightly misshapen. The inaccuracies all seem to be of one type: they exaggerate some of the features of the shape of the border or coastline. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned Iceland, which curves a bit more than it should. I would say that most of the internal US borders are that way, too. Interestingly, these exaggerations seem most present in the best-known spots on the map: the United States, Britain, western Europe. It's almost like the artists fell into "drawing what I know, not what I see" - exaggerating features they knew to be present, rather than accurately scaling down the Worlda. In the case of the US, this results in the eastern states being considerably larger than they ought to be, and the western states therefore shrunk a bit. I've been making a few fixes to those spots - mind if I post them?

Tangle likes this.
  9. Woolly Mammoth Everything is better with tea

Certainly as one of the initial contributors I think any improvements should be welcomed. I might have been guilty in my 'fix' of the British Isles of exacerbating the tendencies you mention.

Tangle likes this.
  10. False Dmitri Я хочу пельменей

OK, I have made a few fixes here and there. Main areas are:
    • Coastlines: Re-did British Isles and Scandinavia
    • Coastlines: minor adjustments to California, Florida, Central America, Mediterranean, Black Sea, Arabian Sea, Vietnam, and Korea.
    • Borders: re-did US states
    • Borders: minor adjustments to Caucasus and eastern Europe.
    • Added borders for Western Sahara, Iraqi Kurdistan, and the two autonomous regions of Georgia
    I hope this isn't obnoxious. I'm happy to tweak some of my changes. Already I notice that some of the smaller islands around Britain don't appear; I should add them. [EDIT: I added them.] I really think this is a useful map and wanted to be able to make corrections if needed. I have searched for easy-to-edit maps at this scale before and not found any. Has anyone put it on the wiki yet?

Here are the maps with my changes.

Blank:
    micro-worlda corrections blank.png

Rivers:
    micro-worlda corrections rivers.png

Grey with borders:
    micro-worlda corrections grey.png

Colored with RCS (color scheme used by the next-gen Worlda series):
    micro-worlda corrections arcs.png

I haven't had time to do one in TOASTER color scheme, but that is the main goal. I can go ahead and color a full TOASTER version if people like these. I also think internal borders for Brazil can work at this scale, and maybe India and the rest of China.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  11. False Dmitri Я хочу пельменей

I decided to do the subdivisions that IMO are possible at this scale. I'll post them as patches rather than as versions of the map, since not everyone will want to use them.

Micro-worlda optional subdivisions.png

12. False Dmitri Я хочу пельменей

Last one of today: a complete grey Micro-Worlda with subdivisions and boxes.

micro-worlda corrections grey with boxes.png

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  13. FiahOwl Alternate History Gold User

good work here guys, now onto the nano-worlda!

14. Tangle Kerbal Crasher

See page 3.

15. FiahOwl Alternate History Gold User

I am pleased. Also TY False Dmitri for the US state patch, the old borders were really bothering me. Any plans for elevation maps? Can't go into much detail but it'd still be marginally useful I'd imagine.

False Dmitri likes this.
  16. False Dmitri Я хочу пельменей

I made one more fix, to Greece and a couple of adjacent coasts. I edited the old posts rather than attaching them here. As always, check to make sure it's a good change.

17. Imperator Frank Member

Theres no border between Quebec and New Brunswick, and the Saint Lawrence area looks odd in general.

18. CtrlAltHistory Please, call me Control.

Also, Brittany and a few other smaller peninsulas seem a bit fat. Great work on this, though, everybody, I love this so much.

19. False Dmitri Я хочу пельменей

Good morning! I made a bunch of minor fixes yesterday and today, including Brittany the St. Lawrence, as well as the Baltic, Crimea, Jordan, Qatar and Bahrain, some of the Russian republics, and a box correction in the Southern Ocean islands. It's enough that I'll put the newly corrected map here in a separate post. If there's nothing more to correct right now, I can post the others (blank, rivers, grey with less detail, RCS, and x2 colors).

20. False Dmitri Я хочу пельменей

OK, if there are no other big problems, here is the full set. I suppose these are the definitive versions until the next ones.

Blank
    micro-worlda corrections blank.png

Rivers
    micro-worlda corrections rivers.png

Simple basemap with borders
    micro-worlda corrections grey.png

Complete basemap with max divisions and boxes

Colored with RCS
    micro-worlda corrections rcs.png

Colored with X2
    micro-worlda corrections x2.png

I know that earlier you said to use TOAST3R instead of X2, but I could not find a completed TOAST3R scheme anywhere.