Mexico dissolved

Instead of the idea of the US seizing more of Mexico during the Mexican-American, what if the US just pushed for each Mexican state to be independent.

I know there were movements for independence from Mexico, in Zacatecas, Yucatan, and Rio Grande. There were also filibusters for Sonora.

Any idea how feasible this would be?

Instead of the idea of the US seizing more of Mexico during the Mexican-American, what if the US just pushed for each Mexican state to be independent.

I know there were movements for independence from Mexico, in Zacatecas, Yucatan, and Rio Grande. There were also filibusters for Sonora.

Any idea how feasible this would be?
I don't think it would be every state, but I'd argue that in the 1820's, Mexico could have over time splintered into a dozen or more countries.

With sectional disputes within the US (witnessed by a civil war a few years later), I don't think a policy of promoting splintering is in the self interest of the US. Texas/California were pieces detached with an eye to absorbing them into the US, or for anglo settler interests wresting control from Hispanic gov't. At the end of the M-A war, whatever the US wanted, the US could have taken. Mexico was no longer a threat, and not likely to become one for the foreseeable future, so there was no need to promote disintegration.

It's possible that the US could create buffer states in northern Mexico, but dismantling the Mexican state entirely would require an ASB-level of political interference on the part of the US. World affairs aren't like a Paradox game, you can't just declare a territory to be independent and then it is so. It's important to remember that the various rebellions in Mexico had nothing to do with nationalism or any grass-roots issues but were simply struggles between local warlords and the central government over the exercise of power in their regions. As a foreign invader, the US would find very little support in the Mexican heartland.

Last edited: