Chapter 1: An old beginning ~ Or how Agus and Toño got into a Pissing Contest
Very well, as many of you already know, there was a day in which I did an alternate timeline about the Mexican Empire. This one was going to run from October 1822, when the POD forced Agustín I to keep on his travel to Veracruz to confront Santa Anna (and make him eat his own “bluff”) instead of returning to Mexico City to celebrate the birth of one of the princes, and unintentionally causing the end of the First Empire. I promised that the timeline would actually run from that day until the modern day…

And I failed you all, after my laptop suffered a HDD failure, and my inspiration failed me to give me a chapter. And it’s been almost a year ever since I last posted on that other thread.

In this 2nd try, what I am going to do, aside of restarting the whole timeline and correcting some continuity errors, I am going to put in a few more surprises. With some more research done, and a few corrections, I'm proud to say that this version might be even better than the original. It will still go as far as modern day Mexico, and I will try to cover as much of this world as possible.

So, here comes the first chapter. Still using the same deadpan dark comedy style that made the previous timeline so loved by its audience.

Mexicanos, ¡Valientes Seguid!
A timeline by Vault Boy.

vLwFfXN.png

1st flag of the Mexican Empire

Chapter 1:
An old beginning ~ Or how Agus and Toño got into a Pissing Contest

Antonio de Padua María Severino López de Santa Anna was, back in the day, one of Mexico’s most beloved and well-known generals, according to his fellow military commanders. He was popular with his men, wealthy, kept many friends and political connections, and above all, had sired many children and a lot of bastards too.

pDuYsZ1.jpg

Pictured above, Santa Anna.

It is of no surprise that he was also vying for power. Power was the only thing in his mind. For such ends, he wished to legally gain access to the Imperial throne by marrying off to His Majesty’s sexagenarian sister [1]. However, this proposal was obviously vetoed by the Emperor, who promptly sent him off to his home state, Veracruz, in a failed effort to get rid of him. Santa Anna had also another problem: He had absolutely no foresight at all, going into all sorts of crazy schemes to get himself more glory, power, and wealth, if what he already had was not enough. This extended also to illegitimate children, which most of them, ironically, have been forgotten by history. And for the purpose of obtaining more wealth at the expense of his own men and to try to make the Emperor look incompetent by making himself look like a prime leader for Mexico, he had come to think on a plan that would land him even more of the three mentioned above: Take San Juan de Ulúa, the last Spaniard stronghold in Continental Mexico. To do so, in paper he was going to stage a naval invasion of the island fortification, but instead of that, he was going to use these reinforcements to attack Mexico City.

9aERmqK.jpg

And here... we have Agustín I

On Mexico City, we had Agustín I. Born from Spaniard parents, and an all-round Mexican; he was what in modern terms would be considered a “Scoundrel”, if we have to put it in the language of those Yankee barbarians and for the benefit of the forumgoers on this place. He’s someone who is a complete opportunist, even if it means screwing everyone for personal benefit, but not by blindly going into any opportunity, but by knowing which opportunities he had to take, and when to do so. Or like us Mexicans would say, “colmilludo”[2]. He was also surrounded by either yes-men or enemies. The latter, for better or worse, were the most numerous of the lot: Due to the fact he was staunchly against the republican ideals held by the liberals, he had no concept of letting go off his newly found power, provided to him by the same congress that hates his guts for reasons yet to be considered coherent, and beloved by the people of Mexico City, the rural elites and the indigenous population of the Mexican highlands.

It's worth mentioning that he did sympathize with the ideals of equality and freedom, but unfortunately these social issues had to take a back seat, since there were many problems that were upon the country, like a ruined economy and a demographical disaster that a 11 year civil war would be; so right now trying to secure the country and finding a way to contain the economic issues were the most sensible route instead of going into republican pipe dreams that the opposition wanted. Freedom for all social classes was given, however, as slavery had been illegal since the early days of the Independence War, and even the most anti-Imperial factions preferred it to be this way, lest they ended as human piñatas.

hO91EIK.jpg

The Imperial Court

Santa Anna’s proposal to take the San Juan de Ulúa fort from the Spanish garrison on that place seemed like the paramount of ill-conceived plans. However, Iturbide was playing an all-or-nothing: If Santa Anna somehow managed to die, either by the Spaniard arms or by his own stupidity, he would not have any other enemies that could undermine his power, at least in the short term. Or at least that’s what he thought. But if Santa Anna succeeded, his position as Emperor would be threatened, and given the actions of other shady characters behind the scenes, which includes so many wonderful figures such as de Bustamante [3] and de Herrera y Ricardos [4], men which were supposed to be loyal to him, but were conspiring with many other liberals behind the scenes, and an American envoy which should not have had anything to do with all this. [5]

The reason for this was Miguel Santa María, a staunch Republican Liberal, and Plenipotentiary Envoy to Gran Colombia on behalf of the Mexican Empire, who, for whatever reason, he thought that, with all of the advancements that the United States had when repulsing the British and the Spanish from their country, they were a better role model and had a “better governing model” than the “Imperial Dictatorship” that Iturbide had. He declined going to the coronation ceremony, citing “health problems” as a reason for his absence, and spent most of his time cajoling with dissenters and Joel R. Poinsett. During his tenure in Veracruz, he attempted to convince many other military commanders to join his cause. One of them, was Santa Anna, who was promised that he would get a shot on to ruling the country if there was a Republic. Or at least that's what we think.

Anyway, in an ideal world, democracy prevails and people dance with puppies in rainbow-coloured backgrounds while unicorns puke rainbows and canaries are chirping lovely music; however, this being early Mexico and taking in account the later turn of events during these two centuries, a democracy as played by these fools was a straight path to either an American annexation or a complete disaster (Bugger me, those two are redundant).

So, in a strange turn of events, Agustín I greenlighted his plan to retake San Juan de Ulúa for the late week of October in 1822. He was given strict guidelines on how to do so, however.[6]

K3vmdFG.jpg

A bird's view of San Juan de Ulúa in the modern day. Back then, it was not connected by a land bridge.

Against all advices given off by Santa María to just waltz into Agustin's tent and kill him (which would have doomed the Empire into an era of warlords), Santa Anna proceeded with the plan to retake San Juan de Ulúa in October 28, 1822. In spite of not having any big ships or heavy artillery, Santa Anna managed to take the fort by grabbing every available fishing boat available and rowing all the distance to San Juan de Ulúa. Agustín I, in the meanwhile, took the few ships available from the Mexican Navy (mostly ships that were stolen from the Spanish) and began to use whatever artillery they could find and fire away at the fortress.

Everything went without a hitch: The battle was won, the Spaniards were finally expelled from Mexico, with the survivors given safe passage back to Spanish-held Cuba, and everyone rejoiced... except for Santa Anna.

See, it was during this battle, that a stray shot from the brigantine Independencia, the flagship of the improvised Mexican fleet, blew up Santa Anna into shrimp food (It was an accident! I swear!). Agustín I then had to rally the remaining soldiers onto not fleeing the assault, and he even jumped into San Juan de Ulúa himself for a piece of the action, where he proceeded to remind everyone why he was nicknamed The Iron Dragon.

zEUj4oR.png

According to eyewitness, this was His Majesty's reaction when he saw the Imperial Flag raised over San Juan de Ulúa, and also, it's likely this was also his reaction when he learned that the gerontophile of Santa Anna and the guys on his boat were turned into shrimp food by a cannon ball. More exaggerated portrayals mention that he whispered "¡A Huevo!".

By this, Santa María’s plan to overthrow the Empire was thrown a wrench and caused him to rethink his strategies on how to deal with toppling the Empire. Time was running out, and they somehow had to also try to court the United States into helping them somehow into toppling the Empire. And, the United States’ envoy, Poinsett, of whom we’ve talked a few times before, was there to provide help and anything that the dissenters wanted.

And as for Agustín I, he had bought himself some extra time, for now. The National Congress was still filled by Republicans, and from many members of the Scottish Rite [7] which wanted him out of the picture for “going against the principles on which Mexico gained independence”; a bit counterfactual, based on the fact that Mexico was supposed to be a monarchy from the get-go, and one of the articles of the Treaty of Córdoba already said that any Mexican could be proclaimed as Emperor. However, the death of Santa Anna after the retaking of San Juan de Ulúa also made him more popular with the people, by placing him as the man who gave the approval of the plan, and Santa Anna as a martyr of the Mexican cause. But for now, everyone was thrilled with this victory, and none would have nightmares of the Spaniards appearing out of thin air to cut down the Crowned Eagle [8] and replacing it with the Cross of Burgundy in the Zócalo.

The Mexican Empire was up to a rough start, regardless of all this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[1] I am not making that up. Yes, it happened, yes, it was vetoed by Agustín for blatantly obvious reasons, and yes, you already can go for a bottle of brain bleach. Sadly, I forgot the source.
[2] Sharp fanged. In Mexico, the term is used to describe people who manage to come out on top by sheer ballsiness or ingenuity or a mix of the two. Also, OTL Iturbide did wanted a constitutional monarchy and elected heads of government, if his memories are to be believed; however, he considered that Mexico was not yet ready for either one of them on the get-go.
[3] Carlos María de Bustamante.
[4] José Joaquín Antonio Florencio de Herrera y Ricardos
[5] Joel R. Poinsett.
[6] This is the POD of this part of the world. OTL, Agustín I vetoed the plan, and sent another general to take Santa Anna as a prisoner. However, Santa Anna bribed him into joining his side, and López de Santa Anna and Santa María ended up redacting the Plan de Casa Mata. Agustín actually tried to put him in his place by heading off to Veracruz himself in November 1822 to put the two of them down. However, he ended up losing more time due to the fact that the Empress had given birth to another prince, and he postponed the attack. And by the time he had his forces ready in December, the rebels were ready to start the insurrection, and by March 1823, Iturbide abdicated. This time around, Iturbide more or less green-lights him in a bid to distract the attention from the opposition to something else and allow himself a bit more time to deal with the remaining opposition, most of them based in the provinces of Nueva Santander (nowadays Tamaulipas, Coahuila, Nuevo León and Texas) and in the Senate.
[7] OTL, there were two main Masonic rites in Mexico after the Independence: the Reformed Scottish rite, siding with the Conservatives and brought by Spaniard representatives, and the York rite, established by Poinsett, as a way to influence the politicians in Mexico to side with the U.S. and convince them of obtaining the northern states. These Masonic lodges wielded a lot of influence, and their rivalry was among one of the many causes of the political violence in Mexico, aside from the obvious ideological differences. However, in the early days of the Empire, they could only agree that Iturbide had to be removed from power.
[8] "Aguila Coronada". Nickname for the Mexican Flag (akin to how the U.S. flag is called "the Stars and Stripes")

---------------------------------------------
91dJxbm.png

Next chapter:
Another dynasty that arises from the fires of revolution!
This time, in Asia. And you won't have an idea of where did this came from.​

Awesome to see this back! I loved the first version of this TL. I feel like posting my own 2.0 version of my Mexican TL too.
Anyway, keep it up man.

Nice start. I love a good comedy TL.
Thanks! Everybody does love a good comedic-minded TL
Enjoyed the last incarnation of it - can't wait to see what you come up with this time.
I won't disappoint. And I also see that you made a TL yourself; I'll have a look at it soon.
Lovely! I kek'd seeing "feels good" man in here.
You know, I had to stop writing once I imagined Agustín I doing that gesture. I was unable to stop laughing for a few minutes due to how silly it was.

Awesome to see this back! I loved the first version of this TL. I feel like posting my own 2.0 version of my Mexican TL too.
Anyway, keep it up man.
Thanks! I hope that you get your TL about Mexico up and running soon.

I'm very excited to see this back up again.
Thanks!

Nice start!

Removing Santa Anna is definitely the best thing that could happen to Mexico.

Never been a huge fan of monarchies, but I can't complain if they eschew absolutism in favor of the ideals of Representative Government from the Enlightenment.

Nice start!

Removing Santa Anna is definitely the best thing that could happen to Mexico.

Never been a huge fan of monarchies, but I can't complain if they eschew absolutism in favor of the ideals of Representative Government from the Enlightenment.
Absolutism in Mexico is going to be temporary. Soon we'll see that in spite of the early troubles, it will actually get better.

Always like to see alt Mexico timelines.
You're welcome.
Poor poor poor Santa Anna.......

:p
In a certain way, it's fine. He got to be immortalized as the Mexican who assisted the Emperor on getting rid of the Spaniards. Even though he died a brutal and undignified death.

In a certain way, it's fine. He got to be immortalized as the Mexican who assisted the Emperor on getting rid of the Spaniards. Even though he died a brutal and undignified death.

Well, it is a nice way to sweep certain designs of his under the rug, so to speak.;)

Chapter 2: A revolution in 1811 ~ The New Kingdom of Korea
Well, here's my second chapter. And like John Cleese would say... "And now for something... completely different."

Chapter 2: A revolution in 1811 ~ The New Kingdom of Korea

The Government has abandoned the western region after considering it useless land. Even the servants of the other provinces despise the people of the West, calling them 'Men of the Province of Pyeongan'. With the king still a child, his functionaries steal the government's money and do what they want. But there is one man that will save you from this situation: Open the gates and receive this army. If you ignore this warning, no one will escape alive.
Hong Gyeong-nae. (pictured below)

WIqeBHr.jpg

Hong Gyeong-nae
(the man who would become King)
…And while in 1811, the world was convulsing in revolutions, pests, and warfare, in Asia, a revolution was starting to fester.

vI91ftY.jpg

As stated above.
The overall situation in Korea was quite bad, with poor harvests, famines occurring with frightening regularity, religious persecution towards Christians, and a bureaucratic nightmare to end all bureaucratic nightmares. It was under this oppressive regime that the Korean peninsula became a hotbed of rebellions, intrigue, incompetent kings that were manipulated by their councils or their regents, and Christianity gaining a foothold in Korea due to how the world always seemed to end for them.

Hong Gyeong-nae was a yangban (a type of noble-scholar in Korea) from Pyeongan, the son of a prominent family in the region, who had fallen out of favour with the elites from Hanseong [1]. Mostly because he studied the Korean classics on agriculture, such as “Straight Talk about Agriculture” (which was so good that the Royal Ministry of Agriculture ended up revising it until 1940) and other similar texts, like his rural fellow men. And lastly, he was tired of these lazy bureaucrats and the foolish policies that were done from the capital. He witnessed that these bureaucrats were pilfering the taxes, then they raised these taxes even further, and they went on to going to town on the population, making everyone on the province as equally poor and equally miserable. [2] And not to mention that the taxes were stupidly high, with a part ending up on the slush “funds” of some other bureaucrat. [3]

Then, in 1801, he hatched a plan: He was to take 1000 labourers to Chudo island, with the excuse that he would set up mining operations in the island, and with the funds . Instead of mining, they would begin to train in military tactics, and also planning on what to do if they successfully managed to topple the current regime. Information available in any language that is not Korean is sketchy at best, but with the aid of an automatic translator, I was able to deduce that when he came back to the mainland, Mr. Hong and some of his men went to the home of their local bureaucrat, seized him, dragged him outside, and turned him into a human piñata in January 1811. And everyone rejoiced, as the piñata, instead of giving out candy, it gave out the whole grain tax of multiple years (and also, it spilled its guts and blood).

enX4J3R.jpg

Yep, it was a mess...

Then, the situation somehow escalated quickly, as in many towns the same thing happened. And with bureaucrats getting killed en masse and all of a sudden, Hong Gyeong-nae found himself as the main commander of a rebellion that managed to cover the northwest of the Korean peninsula. Taking command of such a large amount of territory in less than ten days was a complete achievement that even I haven't been able to replicate in any of my grand strategy games. And with such a massive army, he managed to take the fortress of Jeongju, sending them the message quoted on the beginning.

2Nl0TAM.jpg

Taking Jeongju​

By June 1811, the rebellion grew in both the terrain it controlled, to the point that it managed to extend as a sliver of land from the Yellow Sea to the Pacific. Hong’s rebel army defeated the Royal Army with the use of hit-and-run tactics, supply theft, and decapitating their already weak command structure by striking at the officers first and killing anybody stupid enough to continue fighting on, as the rebels actually offered a chance to the remaining soldiers to join the movement.

But it didn’t stop there. With the prospect of actual success against the Hanseong regime, Hong chose to form the basis of a government, instead of continuing on hit and run battles against the Royal Army. He proposed, with the aid of a few Korean Catholics [4] who brought in some Western knowledge, to go through some basic reforms on the government, such as drafting a basic law for the common people, toleration of all religions within the kingdom as long as they opted not to incite a rebellion, a complete revision of the officer examinations, shifting from Neo-Confucian texts to practical books in metalsmithing, agriculture, mercantilism, and sciences, and last, but not least, a much needed restructuring of the bureaucratic system, that would bring officers from the provinces that would actually bring a new point of view instead of the biased prejudice of these capital dwellers.

So, this brought many of the social classes in Korea to support him: defecting soldiers, merchants, artisans, labourers, farmers, and Catholic converts. The latter would become extremely important later on.

pCp7yBC.png

One of the first all encompassing revolutions, I'll admit.

It all ended for the Joseon dynasty in early June 1813, after almost two years and a half of war. With the rebels sieging the city, and with no prospect of escaping, King Jeongjo, last king of the Joseon dynasty, and with just 21 years of age, chose to spare the lives of his fellow soldiers and to call for negotiations with the rebels. There was no point on continuing the war, especially as he was willing to go for reforming the political system, which was a quagmire from the beginning.

krD7eCO.jpg

Unfortunately, I was unable to get a good screenshot in time, but this K-drama showcased the moment when Hong Gyeong-nae and King Jeongjo were to establish negotiations.

Hong Gyeong-nae and King Jeongjo were to start their dialogue in June 16, 1813. However, when everything was set to actually come to good terms, Jeongjo was murdered by members of his council (and under the orders of former Queen Dowager Jeongsun, seeing his negotiations as a threat to her power and those of her fellows), in order to put his son, the two-years old Crown prince Hyeomyeong, as the king. Needless to say, Gyeong-nae went off to hunt these traitors, and this time around it was open season for the rebels against these radicals.

In June 21, in lieu of the young crown prince getting murdered by his remaining cadre in order to deny the rebels to get him and instill these ideas into him, and with most of the old bureaucracy and the Queen Dowager Jeongsun dead, they had to think on what to do. Korea, at that time, did not have any kind of democratic tradition, so at this point, the only thing that Kyeong-nae was able to say was “Well, screw it, I’ll do this” (Not in those words, though). He became the King of Korea (Though, he did not took a regnal name).

And, from that point on, the Hong dynasty began to grow, and with the new technocratic bureaucracy, Korea managed to industralize earlier than most of Asia. Catholicism began to grow until the point where the new royal family converted, and most people followed suit, thus opening a whole new world of diplomatic relations with the European colonials in Asia (and especially Spain, of which we'll talk more about later). With technological innovations, prosperity (and other social marvels such as democracy) came to its people, and the country broke off from the grip of perpetual poverty and its cycles of famine. But that's a story for another time.

ArtieOs.png

Modern Hanseong... I mean, Seoul. God Save the King!

--------------------------------------------
I extend my thanks to zeppelinair, as without him, this chapter would have never occurred. Even though, it was hard due to the fact that I had to rely on Google translate, and make heads and tails out of the resulting garbled mess that those translations threw at me. By far, the hardest chapter I’ve done, and something inside me tells me it's not quite right. But at the same time, it's something completely different, and definitively a POD that I think that no one really considered before (save for an extremely old usenet discussion with 6 posts that I lost the link to).

The POD here being that Gyeong-nae started his uprising one month later. With a more prepared army and more tactical acumen, his rebellion succeeded, and brought the King to negotiations. But... stuff happened.

[1] Old name for Seoul.

[2] A small, but relevant POD for the future of Asia. You will see why when we get to sometime after the 1860's.

[3] Farmers paid with their harvests. Now, connect the dots.

[4] The presence of Catholic converts proved to be a boon on proving to the Europeans that they were not barbarians.

--------------------------------------------
91dJxbm.png
Next Chapter:
The Comanches and other ethnic groups in the Empire.

I eagerly await the next update!

I also wonder how you'll deal with the U.S. Civil War in your timeline.

A common trend slowly developing here is that if Mexico wins the war, the Union cracks earlier as the slaveholders in the South seceede earlier than OTL.

I eagerly await the next update!

I also wonder how you'll deal with the U.S. Civil War in your timeline.

A common trend slowly developing here is that if Mexico wins the war, the Union cracks earlier as the slaveholders in the South seceede earlier than OTL.
It's going to go in a completely unexpected way. That's all I'll say for now.