Metal Slug: A More Realistic Take Timeline Brainstorming Thread

I̶ ̶h̶a̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶d̶e̶a̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶g̶o̶,̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶f̶a̶c̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶m̶o̶n̶t̶h̶ ̶a̶g̶o̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶I̶’̶l̶l̶ ̶l̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶h̶e̶r̶e̶.̶ ̶S̶o̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶s̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶h̶o̶w̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶M̶e̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶S̶l̶u̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶y̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶C̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶W̶a̶r̶ ̶g̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶h̶o̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶0̶’̶s̶?̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶n̶u̶k̶e̶s̶ ̶N̶E̶E̶D̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶h̶e̶l̶d̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶l̶e̶ ̶(̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶o̶b̶v̶i̶o̶u̶s̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶s̶o̶n̶s̶)̶.̶ ̶A̶n̶d̶ ̶I̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶c̶i̶f̶i̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶8̶0̶’̶s̶ ̶s̶i̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶p̶l̶e̶n̶t̶y̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶s̶t̶u̶f̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶d̶e̶s̶p̶r̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶9̶0̶’̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶w̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶s̶u̶c̶h̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶d̶r̶o̶n̶e̶s̶,̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶a̶c̶t̶ ̶r̶i̶f̶l̶e̶s̶,̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶u̶t̶e̶r̶i̶z̶e̶d̶ ̶e̶q̶u̶i̶p̶m̶e̶n̶t̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶s̶t̶e̶a̶l̶t̶h̶ ̶a̶i̶r̶c̶r̶a̶f̶t̶,̶ ̶w̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶d̶e̶v̶e̶l̶o̶p̶m̶e̶n̶t̶,̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶l̶e̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶d̶r̶a̶w̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶b̶o̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶(̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶I̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶w̶r̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶)̶.̶ ̶B̶u̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶w̶a̶y̶,̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶m̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶0̶’̶s̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶m̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶w̶e̶e̶t̶ ̶s̶p̶o̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶’̶s̶ ̶o̶b̶v̶i̶o̶u̶s̶l̶y̶ ̶h̶a̶l̶f̶w̶a̶y̶ ̶b̶e̶t̶w̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶W̶W̶I̶I̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶2̶0̶2̶0̶’̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶c̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶a̶m̶e̶s̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶t̶i̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶t̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶c̶e̶,̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶t̶a̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶c̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶2̶0̶3̶0̶’̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶I̶ ̶m̶e̶n̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶W̶W̶I̶I̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶b̶e̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶i̶r̶s̶t̶ ̶g̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶o̶b̶v̶i̶o̶u̶s̶l̶y̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶e̶l̶s̶ ̶i̶t̶s̶e̶l̶f̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶i̶o̶d̶ ̶r̶a̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶l̶o̶o̶s̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶d̶e̶s̶p̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶t̶a̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶c̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶2̶1̶s̶t̶ ̶c̶e̶n̶t̶u̶r̶y̶ ̶(̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶d̶i̶e̶s̶e̶l̶p̶u̶n̶k̶i̶s̶h̶ ̶A̶T̶L̶)̶;̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶s̶a̶i̶d̶,̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶l̶e̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶r̶e̶b̶o̶o̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶f̶e̶e̶l̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶2̶0̶t̶h̶ ̶c̶e̶n̶t̶u̶r̶y̶.̶

Edit: This is subject to change as I have recently am in the process of overhauling the TL to whatever works for it. Disregard the top paragraph please but scroll down to where the brainstorming starts.

Anyway, I have set up this thread as to have some members help out for this TL, even though I roughly have a good idea of how this TL might go, simply with the formation of the "world government" sometime before the year 2000 and things getting awry by the 2020's.

Oh and no ASBs like aliens and mummies here, this TL lacks them.

Last edited:
It's cool but I'm not sure how much of this thread does to incorporate the actual Metal Slug universe into it. Your DA post does it better, I feel.

If you're interested in Cold War dieselpunk type universes, maybe Full Metal Panic also does a good job with having a Cold War that doesn't end?

It's cool but I'm not sure how much of this thread does to incorporate the actual Metal Slug universe into it. Your DA post does it better, I feel.

If you're interested in Cold War dieselpunk type universes, maybe Full Metal Panic also does a good job with having a Cold War that doesn't end?
While I'm glad you show concern about the TL, I'm going to make it clear here;the TL I'm making on is more of a reboot of which has it's own continuity, not of that of the games. But yet as a dedicated fan of the games, I will find my way of incorporating elements from the games into this TL, somehow; afterall, it can't be a Metal Slug experience without the titular tank in some shape or form. Though the thing is the original mythos is ASB as hell and I had a hard time trying to come up with a plausible version of it, so I threw the previous versions out the window and came up with this one, of which will rely on some PODs to get this TL going.

And I find it odd that you consider FMP to be "dieselpunk" when it seems more cyberpunk judging by the designs of the mechs in that universe.

Speaking of "punk", I'm considering making this TL to be a "1984 (the year)" punk setting of sorts (it would be more general "late 20th century" punk), similar to how Fallout is the 50's punk; any good POD's to retard the technological growth so that by the 2020's, the tech level is 1980's at the most?

Last edited:
Speaking of "punk", I'm considering making this TL to be a "1984" punk setting of sorts, similar to how Fallout is the 50's punk (though this TL is more general "late 20th century" punk); any good POD's to retard the technological growth so that by the 2020's, the tech level is 1980's at the most?
No Manhattan project and transistors talking longer to be invented?

I'm going to need to take a break since I feel like this TL might need an overhaul (so much so that I need to get this thread renamed), in that I have different ideas for it.

Alright I'm back and right now I am officially going with a world where a more something something successor to the UN is a hyperpower (making the TL more faithful to the games...somewhat) and has been that way for sometime after a WWIII sometime in the 20th century; all inspired by what Pachipachis made for a wikibox of his and how he got the idea from the games and I felt bad for trying to shoehorn an 80's setting in the past which felt like mere fanfiction to me.

Last edited:
I think I have this funny idea with some input by Pachipachis about New World Orders and WWIII: A Third World War in the 1980's that technically started because of some damn thing in Iran and in West Berlin ends up lasting for a few years until nukes fly and ironically a draw breaks out since both sides were too exhausted to fight anymore and then some bigger replacement of the UN headed by China and some neutrals comes along to fix things up (similar to that one sci fi novel with a WWIII caused by Nixon in the late 50's).

Update, here is the WIP world map as of this post, with a POD of 1950:
5suCHz8.png

Alright, I think I got how this might work, simply by removing the Cold War so it doesn't get in the way of my TL, either before it starts or just as it was about to grow, meaning it has to be between 1945 or 1950 and the POD has to be within that time frame, not before nor after. And one way to remove the cold war is to have a WWIII start in the late 40's that would eliminate the USSR and have the USA and Allies start a world order that would unify the world or rather a big chunk of it.

Right now, I'm kicking around the idea either having the Cold be averted or ended explosively via the Berlin Airlift going wrong, anyone got ideas?

My outline for how this TL will go (note that I just simply need to kill off the Cold War ASAP so that it would take time for the "world government" to come to fruition without hassle); any comments or critique is welcome:

1946 (POD)-KMT leader Chiang Kai Shek decides not to go into Manchuria and instead settle with most of China under his thumb, dividing China into a north and south and with the former a Soviet satellite state. Tensions still remain between the two Chinas, with border skirmishes being a problem ala OTL's Korea situation up to the Korean War.
1948 (POD 2?)-Berlin Blockade gets out of hand when a shootdown of Allied cargo planes leads to an attempt to free the city by force only for it to go into a skirmish, convincing Stalin to launch a fullscale invasion of the West by the end of the year, starting the "Red War". The allies become the UN in face of it.
1948-1950-"The Red War" begins with the Soviets take over of first West Berlin then towards most of Western, Northern, and Southern Europe only to face a massive wave of atomic bombings on most of the Soviet cities and bases; however the Politburo doesn't give up and the war continues with the UN landings in the Western coasts of Europe and the devastated Soviets being beaten out with mostly WWII hardware.
1950-"Red War" ends in a UN victory after the last Soviet Army unit unconditionally surrenders.
1950-1975-"Era of Global Reconstruction" begins with the former USSR being decommunized by the UN and the interrupted reconstruction of Europe and Asia from the "Brown War" (TTL's name for WWII) resumes. There are some growing pains, mainly in the form of not only Soviet holdouts but neo-Fascist and neo-communist insurgents not being fond of the UN's world order and some nations like Nasser's Egypt not fond either. In the meantime a wave of globalization takes hold and lays the foundation for a cosmopolitan way of life in spite of American dominance.
1975-2027-The UN reforms into the International Sovereign Federation to better have the TTL's developed world function peacefully; though as the decades go by society not only is fundamentally changed by this global order but faces more problems from anti-ISF terrorism from various independent groups to economic injustices to natural disasters. In the meantime, factions within the ISF's military seek to establish a totalitarian order of sorts that involve being monocultural and a master caste ruling over the others and a certain Donald Morden is one of them and they would become prominent in the 2020's.
2027-Morden's statist faction launches a coup in key areas around the ISF, yet has failed to have the government step down and instead retaliating with conventional war, starting the International Civil War.

Consider the following:

1953: Second Great Depression; Citing European and American economic forecast models, including John Maynard Keynes, the post-war economy hits a lurch, as the world attempts to shift from a wartime footing....

1955: Einstein-Russell Manifesto; Bertrand Russell and Albert Einstein publish a manifesto, calling for a world state as the "only sane alternative" to war,...

1958: British PM Arthur C. Clarke establishes the International Space Science Commission (ISSC) arguing that only an international effort will place a man in space by 1960...

1977: Kwame Nkrumah, Yasser Arafat, Gamal Abdel Nasser, and Deng Xiaoping establish the "G-77" in an effort to represent the needs of the Southern Hemisphere,...

1986: International Space Science Commission (ISSC) successfully lands Ares-III on Martian surface, discovering liquid water near the poles,....

1992: Nelson Mandela is elected President of the ISF, establishing many of the political precedents and its procedures, amidst great political popularity,...

1995: Theodore Kaczynski publishes his political manifesto, calling for the destruction of the ISF,....

2006: U.S. leader John McCain establishes a right-wing, conservative bloc known as the "Concert of Democracies", as a power bloc within the ISF,...

Last edited:
Consider the following:

1953: Second Great Depression; Citing European and American economic forecast models, including John Maynard Keynes, the post-war economy hits a lurch, as the world attempts to shift from a wartime footing....

1955: Einstein-Russell Manifesto; Bertrand Russell and Albert Einstein publish a manifesto, calling for a world state as the "only sane alternative" to war,...

1958: British PM Arthur C. Clarke establishes the International Space Science Commission (ISSC) arguing that only an international effort will place a man in space by 1960...

1977: Kwame Nkrumah, Yasser Arafat, Gamal Abdel Nasser, and Deng Xiaoping establish the "G-77" in an effort to represent the needs of the Southern Hemisphere,...

1986: International Space Science Commission (ISSC) successfully lands Ares-III on Martian surface, discovering liquid water near the poles,....

1992: Nelson Mandela is elected President of the ISF, establishing many of the political precedents and its procedures, amidst great political popularity,...

1995: Theodore Kaczynski publishes his political manifesto, calling for the destruction of the ISF,....

2006: U.S. leader John McCain establishes a right-wing, conservative bloc known as the "Concert of Democracies", as a power bloc within the ISF,...
This like based on my TL or is it some alternative take on it (given that the ISF and post-war stuff are mentioned)?

It is based on your TL. If anything, the idea is to flesh out the details of how things took place.
I appreciate the help, but I must add that the lack of a cold war past 1948 would hamper space development so I highly doubt that the ISF would be able to go to Mars in the 80's ITTL.

I appreciate the help, but I must add that the lack of a cold war past 1948 would hamper space development so I highly doubt that the ISF would be able to go to Mars in the 80's ITTL.
Then again, consider it is the combined resources and scholarship of all nations in the ATL. Second, the ISSC has to deliver some big results or lose funding.

Then again, consider it is the combined resources and scholarship of all nations in the ATL. Second, the ISSC has to deliver some big results or lose funding.
Makes sense to me, I guess that make TTL's tech more advanced by 10 years at least perhaps even more. At least that means I can be able to have stuff like cybernetics and hover unit stuff ala the ones from Akira.

Also consider that the ATL should have different spins on pop culture. Consider that some music and trends will either not exist or be drastically altered.

In the book "Wrack & Roll" by Bradley Denton, rock music came in 1945, after the nuclear destruction of Berlin, Moscow and Tokyo. Consider "J-Pop" instead of British rock music taking off after 1964....

Also consider that the ATL should have different spins on pop culture. Consider that some music and trends will either not exist or be drastically altered.

In the book "Wrack & Roll" by Bradley Denton, rock music came in 1945, after the nuclear destruction of Berlin, Moscow and Tokyo. Consider "J-Pop" instead of British rock music taking off after 1964....
Honestly I have no idea how pop culture would go outside of references to the "Totalitarian Wars" (TTL's name for World Wars II and III) and that it would be more cosmopolitan.