Merrily We Roll Along: A Post-1969 History of Looney Tunes

You're asking about memes from the 2000s, that were from games released in the 90s, that were part of franchises created in the 80s, while we're still in the 70s. Pretty sure there's no way to give a good answer from the point we're currently at.
You should see him in DMs…
To bring things back to roughly where we are-are any other old Jay Ward characters going to return eventually as the result of Rocky and Bullwinkle being revived next year? (i.e. Dudley Do-Right, George of the Jungle, etc.)
There will be comebacks, both in primetime and SatAM.

1976 Part One - Theatrical
(I'm saving the Bugs Bunny Superstar showdown info till the end of 1976, bridging that and 1977.)

PART ONE - THE THEATRICAL MARKET

Not much happens in terms of shorts. At WB, after appearing in several Daffy Duck cartoons for Cartoon Classics, Melissa Duck gets her own series. Meanwhile, at Merrie Melodies, The Dogfather comes to an end and is replaced by a new series, Misterjaw, from DFE, based around the success of Jaws the previous year. At Paramount, Wendy the Good Little Witch becomes a more major character in the Casper shorts, while the Tom and Jerry, Road Runner, Chilly Willy, Pepe Le Pew, Mr. Magoo, and Sylvester shorts become less popular due to their reliance on formulas that audience started to get bored of. The most notable event is Jay Ward joining the Warner Cartoon Group (which I'll get to later) and helping produce several of the Looney Tunes, Merrie Melodies, and Cartoon Classics- most notably reintroducing limited animation to the non-MM series, as well as a completely different art style for his shorts. These shorts focused on clever writing rather than slapstick comedy, and while a shock at the time, are beloved today.

In terms of movies, Fox releases three animated flicks, only one of which is made in-house.
  • The first, a US release of the Hungarian film Hugo the Hippo, releases in January. It is not a success.
  • The second, Star Wars, comes out in May. While it is poised for only minor success, it becomes a massive hit and immediate phenomenon, as much as the IOTL live-action Star Wars from a year later. Kids love it, adults love it, boys love it, girls love it... even critics love it! It quickly becomes the highest grossing film of all time, animated or otherwise! Everyone loves Star Wars!
  • In September, an import of the French film Tarzoon: Shame of the Jungle is released. The film is rated X, and its release is inspired by the success of last year's Coonskin No More. While the owners of the Tarzan copyright tried to sue to protect Tarzan's image, the film is a big hit- although dampened by Fox's own Star Wars, which is STILL in theaters at the time.
May also sees the release of WB's next Family Classic, The Snow Queen. While modern historians think it did well considering the circumstances, it flops hard at the box office due to the release of Star Wars almost immediately afterward, and has a lukewarm critical reception, with many comparisons to Disney.

September sees the release of several more movies, all of which are minor successes but pale in comparison to Tarzoon and Star Wars.
  • Columbia and Rankin-Bass release an anime dub, Jack and the Beanstalk.
  • Universal and Paramount co-release Bill Melendez's Gilbert and Sullivan homage Dick Deadeye, or Duty Done. Overseas, where the film premiered, it was released by CIC, Universal and Paramount's international joint venture.
  • Universal, Lantz, and Marvel also release two TV movies on CBS shortly before the premiere of their Marvel animation block. These are The Amazing Spider-Man and The Incredible Hulk. They receive strong ratings in the US and are minor box office successes in Europe, where they were released as a theatrical double feature.

(I'm saving the Bugs Bunny Superstar showdown info till the end of 1976, bridging that and 1977.)
Oh, okay.

Not much happens in terms of shorts. At WB, after appearing in several Daffy Duck cartoons for Cartoon Classics, Melissa Duck gets her own series.
Not bad. How do Melissa and Petunia get along, if at all?
Meanwhile, at Merrie Melodies, The Dogfather comes to an end and is replaced by a new series, Misterjaw, from DFE, based around the success of Jaws the previous year.
I think this breaks even for the Merrie Melodies sense.
At Paramount, Wendy the Good Little Witch becomes a more major character in the Casper shorts, while the Tom and Jerry, Road Runner, Chilly Willy, Pepe Le Pew, Mr. Magoo, and Sylvester shorts become less popular due to their reliance on formulas that audience started to get bored of.
I appreciate Wendy being a major player now, but I feel bad for fans of all those formulaic shorts.

Despite that, all the studios have some way to fall back in this event. The WCG already has a whole lot of series in their arsenal, so they can stand to get rid of those three. MGM now has theatrical Yogi Bear cartoons AND a revival of Droopy, so Tom and Jerry can finally get a break. Universal, I'm afraid, has the most risk from getting rid of Chilly Willy, as they only have Woody Woodpecker to claim their fame on. But on the flipside, Columbia has Gerald McBoingBoing, Lenny Leopard, and that flower girl from Rankin-Bass.

So yeah, I think Universal should think of something to replace Chilly Willy, and fast.
The most notable event is Jay Ward joining the Warner Cartoon Group (which I'll get to later) and helping produce several of the Looney Tunes, Merrie Melodies, and Cartoon Classics- most notably reintroducing limited animation to the non-MM series, as well as a completely different art style for his shorts.
That is quite notable, and it adds on a whole lot more stuff to replace Road Runner, Wile E. Coyote, Sylvester, Tweety, Speedy Gonzales, Merlin the Magic Mouse, Pepe Le Pew, and Penelope Pussycat with.

But I will say that adding limited animation to LT and CC, even if it is from Jay Ward, does make me feel rather uneasy, knowing how it went a decade prior.
These shorts focused on clever writing rather than slapstick comedy, and while a shock at the time, are beloved today.
The different focus helps in that regard, and it works.
In terms of movies, Fox releases three animated flicks, only one of which is made in-house.
  • The first, a US release of the Hungarian film Hugo the Hippo, releases in January. It is not a success.
  • The second, Star Wars, comes out in May. While it is poised for only minor success, it becomes a massive hit and immediate phenomenon, as much as the IOTL live-action Star Wars from a year later. Kids love it, adults love it, boys love it, girls love it... even critics love it! It quickly becomes the highest grossing film of all time, animated or otherwise! Everyone loves Star Wars!
  • In September, an import of the French film Tarzoon: Shame of the Jungle is released. The film is rated X, and its release is inspired by the success of last year's Coonskin No More. While the owners of the Tarzan copyright tried to sue to protect Tarzan's image, the film is a big hit- although dampened by Fox's own Star Wars, which is STILL in theaters at the time.
Yeah, Star Wars is an easy win for Fox, and it's not even close.
May also sees the release of WB's next Family Classic, The Snow Queen. While modern historians think it did well considering the circumstances, it flops hard at the box office due to the release of Star Wars almost immediately afterward, and has a lukewarm critical reception, with many comparisons to Disney.
And knowing how less than good WB is at being like Disney, the retrospective review and box office results are kinda earned.
September sees the release of several more movies, all of which are minor successes but pale in comparison to Tarzoon and Star Wars.
  • Universal and Paramount co-release Bill Melendez's Gilbert and Sullivan homage Dick Deadeye, or Duty Done. Overseas, where the film premiered, it was released by CIC, Universal and Paramount's international joint venture.
  • Universal, Lantz, and Marvel also release two TV movies on CBS shortly before the premiere of their Marvel animation block. These are The Amazing Spider-Man and The Incredible Hulk. They receive strong ratings in the US and are minor box office successes in Europe, where they were released as a theatrical double feature.
I think the TV movies from Universal and Marvel are the best smaller movies in the market. But how long do they run, exactly? I guess they'd be an hour each, or something.

Oh, okay.

I appreciate Wendy being a major player now, but I feel bad for fans of all those formulaic shorts.

Despite that, all the studios have some way to fall back in this event. The WCG already has a whole lot of series in their arsenal, so they can stand to get rid of those three. MGM now has theatrical Yogi Bear cartoons AND a revival of Droopy, so Tom and Jerry can finally get a break. Universal, I'm afraid, has the most risk from getting rid of Chilly Willy, as they only have Woody Woodpecker to claim their fame on. But on the flipside, Columbia has Gerald McBoingBoing, Lenny Leopard, and that flower girl from Rankin-Bass.

So yeah, I think Universal should think of something to replace Chilly Willy, and fast.

That is quite notable, and it adds on a whole lot more stuff to replace Road Runner, Wile E. Coyote, Sylvester, Tweety, Speedy Gonzales, Merlin the Magic Mouse, Pepe Le Pew, and Penelope Pussycat with.

But I will say that adding limited animation to LT and CC, even if it is from Jay Ward, does make me feel rather uneasy, knowing how it went a decade prior.

And knowing how less than good WB is at being like Disney, the retrospective review and box office results are kinda earned.

I think the TV movies from Universal and Marvel are the best smaller movies in the market. But how long do they run, exactly? I guess they'd be an hour each, or something.
  • Melissa and Petunia get along well. In their shorts together, Melissa is the usually calm and collected but somewhat crazy leader while Petunia is the dimwitted yet good-natured sidekick.
  • Not all the formula shorts are cancelled immediately. Pepe is cancelled following the Jones controversy, followed shortly by Road Runner after some failed attempts to revitalize the series (including making her- yes, her- talk). Sylvester's series ends around the same time and he becomes a supporting character, alongside Mr. Magoo. Tom and Jerry's series is retooled greatly, infamously making them friends and having them talk, but actually managing to be funny and give the characters unique personalities and a fitting dynamic (they ARE friends, yes, but they don't act like it a lot, often engaging in snark-to-snark combat). Chilly Willy's series also ends with him becoming a supporting character for Woody, but a more major supporting character with him becoming Woody's best friend. The revived Andy Panda becomes the new secondary Lantz series, with Beary Family, Inspector Willoughby, and Winnie play backup (Winnie briefly taking Willy's place as second fiddle before Andy is ultimately chosen, and they're neck and neck in terms of popularity).
  • The limited style is a bit more lively than either the 60s shorts or Ward's TV stuff. Merlin is a major character in Ward's reimaginings, with he and Second Banana having shades of Rocky and Bullwinkle. A similar dynamic, but even more like the moose and squirrel, was used for his Daffy shorts, with Daffy (even closer to the original screwball portrayal than McKimson's new iteration, but with some moments of greed and jealousy, and occasionally a bit more cunning) taking the role of Bullwinkle and Porky, Speedy, Melissa, and occasionally Bugs filling the role of Rocky.
  • The failure of Snow Queen marks BIG changes for the rest of the Family Classics line in the future...
  • Spider-Man runs for an hour, and is a somewhat faithful retelling of the origin comic. Hulk is two hours, and is basically an animated version of the pilot movie for the IOTL live-action show (ITTL Kenneth Johnson initially thought the Hulk series would be live action, and just ran with his ideas after the whole animation reveal, increasing the Hulk's power but keeping his more "realistic" origin).

• Melissa and Petunia get along well. In their shorts together, Melissa is the usually calm and collected but somewhat crazy leader while Petunia is the dimwitted yet good-natured sidekick.
I'm glad to see that, especially with how Daffy and Porky treated each other a lot of the time.
  • Not all the formula shorts are cancelled immediately. Pepe is cancelled following the Jones controversy, followed shortly by Road Runner after some failed attempts to revitalize the series (including making her- yes, her- talk).
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Chuck Jones stuff go first. But I would be surprised to see the first Coyote and Road Runner short after its retooling if I was in the audience.
  • Sylvester's series ends around the same time and he becomes a supporting character, alongside Mr. Magoo.
That makes sense to me, as Sylvester has co-starred with Porky Pig on some occasions. That, and Magoo wasn't given the starring role in his first cartoon.

But who would be Columbia's star if not Mr. Magoo?
  • Tom and Jerry's series is retooled greatly, infamously making them friends and having them talk, but actually managing to be funny and give the characters unique personalities and a fitting dynamic (they ARE friends, yes, but they don't act like it a lot, often engaging in snark-to-snark combat).
I'm getting Robyn Starling flashbacks from this, but the verbal combat being on par with the physical stuff of old does make me warm up to this.

Still, I'd watch the Nostalgia Critic's editorial on what makes Tom and Jerry click. Specifically because it mentions how it's not too surprising to see them team up once or twice.
  • Chilly Willy's series also ends with him becoming a supporting character for Woody, but a more major supporting character with him becoming Woody's best friend. The revived Andy Panda becomes the new secondary Lantz series, with Beary Family, Inspector Willoughby, and Winnie play backup (Winnie briefly taking Willy's place as second fiddle before Andy is ultimately chosen, and they're neck and neck in terms of popularity).
So, what you're saying is that the other Lantz characters are basically added into Woody's circles of friends and enemies. Is that correct?
  • The limited style is a bit more lively than either the 60s shorts or Ward's TV stuff. Merlin is a major character in Ward's reimaginings, with he and Second Banana having shades of Rocky and Bullwinkle. A similar dynamic, but even more like the moose and squirrel, was used for his Daffy shorts, with Daffy (even closer to the original screwball portrayal than McKimson's new iteration, but with some moments of greed and jealousy, and occasionally a bit more cunning) taking the role of Bullwinkle and Porky, Speedy, Melissa, and occasionally Bugs filling the role of Rocky.
A livelier quality to the style is a big plus, and basing his works on his most famous characters is a perfect idea.

With that said, however a Bugs and Daffy short, or Porky and Daffy, taking on the dynamic of Rocky and Bullwinkle is a fantastic idea. But could we see a Bugs Bunny and Cool Cat short that makes fun of Crusader Rabbit, while playing it straight? I mean, it stars a rabbit and a tiger, and Cool Cat is a tiger.
  • The failure of Snow Queen marks BIG changes for the rest of the Family Classics line in the future...
No argument here, but it's nice that it got further than IOTL.
  • Spider-Man runs for an hour, and is a somewhat faithful retelling of the origin comic. Hulk is two hours, and is basically an animated version of the pilot movie for the IOTL live-action show (ITTL Kenneth Johnson initially thought the Hulk series would be live action, and just ran with his ideas after the whole animation reveal, increasing the Hulk's power but keeping his more "realistic" origin).
That would explain the "double feature" mention, especially from my modern perspective in the MCU age.

I'm glad to see that, especially with how Daffy and Porky treated each other a lot of the time.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Chuck Jones stuff go first. But I would be surprised to see the first Coyote and Road Runner short after its retooling if I was in the audience.

That makes sense to me, as Sylvester has co-starred with Porky Pig on some occasions. That, and Magoo wasn't given the starring role in his first cartoon.

I'm getting Robyn Starling flashbacks from this, but the verbal combat being on par with the physical stuff of old does make me warm up to this.

Still, I'd watch the Nostalgia Critic's editorial on what makes Tom and Jerry click. Specifically because it mentions how it's not too surprising to see them team up once or twice.

So, what you're saying is that the other Lantz characters are basically added into Woody's circles of friends and enemies. Is that correct?

A livelier quality to the style is a big plus, and basing his works on his most famous characters is a perfect idea.

With that said, however a Bugs and Daffy short, or Porky and Daffy, taking on the dynamic of Rocky and Bullwinkle is a fantastic idea. But could we see a Bugs Bunny and Cool Cat short that makes fun of Crusader Rabbit, while playing it straight? I mean, it stars a rabbit and a tiger, and Cool Cat is a tiger.

That would explain the "double feature" mention, especially from my modern perspective in the MCU age.
  • Daffy and Porky‘s relationship also improved, with Daffy being the silly or overconfident or BOTH leader and Porky being the cynical and snarky, but loyal and friendly, sidekick.
  • Lenny Leopard would be intended as the new star, but Silly Sylvia would take the title almost immediately.
  • A Bugs and Cool Cat short like Crusader Rabbit? Not sure. Then again, I haven’t seen Crusader Rabbit.
  • The Family Classics line is NOT cancelled as a result of this failure, but is rather heavily retooled.
  • Who is Robyn Starling?
  • Yeah, T&J do share some legitimately friendly moments, but also a lot of snark. And there are a few gags asking “if you’re a cat and mouse, why are you friends?“ the answer always makes fun of the formulaic nature of the originals.

• Daffy and Porky‘s relationship also improved, with Daffy being the silly or overconfident or BOTH leader and Porky being the cynical and snarky, but loyal and friendly, sidekick.
Makes perfect sense to me. WB's been on the up and up since the late-60s in the animated sense, so it works to have Daffy be more optimistic in nature.
  • Lenny Leopard would be intended as the new star, but Silly Sylvia would take the title almost immediately.
As long as they have a new star post-Magoo, I don't care who it is.
  • A Bugs and Cool Cat short like Crusader Rabbit? Not sure. Then again, I haven’t seen Crusader Rabbit.
I mean, if we're giving WCG all of Jay Ward's tricks and toons, maybe some light should be shown to this series, at least in an ironic way.
  • The Family Classics line is NOT cancelled as a result of this failure, but is rather heavily retooled.
That's even better!
  • Who is Robyn Starling?
Basically the actual lead of Tom and Jerry: The Movie. Long story short, here's the Wikipedia page:
  • Yeah, T&J do share some legitimately friendly moments, but also a lot of snark. And there are a few gags asking “if you’re a cat and mouse, why are you friends?“ the answer always makes fun of the formulaic nature of the originals.
I'm going to like this new angle, which I'm surprised is the case.

Ok.
Not much happens in terms of shorts. At WB, after appearing in several Daffy Duck cartoons for Cartoon Classics, Melissa Duck gets her own series. Meanwhile, at Merrie Melodies, The Dogfather comes to an end and is replaced by a new series, Misterjaw, from DFE, based around the success of Jaws the previous year. At Paramount, Wendy the Good Little Witch becomes a more major character in the Casper shorts, while the Tom and Jerry, Road Runner, Chilly Willy, Pepe Le Pew, Mr. Magoo, and Sylvester shorts become less popular due to their reliance on formulas that audience started to get bored of. The most notable event is Jay Ward joining the Warner Cartoon Group (which I'll get to later) and helping produce several of the Looney Tunes, Merrie Melodies, and Cartoon Classics- most notably reintroducing limited animation to the non-MM series, as well as a completely different art style for his shorts. These shorts focused on clever writing rather than slapstick comedy, and while a shock at the time, are beloved today.
Awesome!
Ouch.
AWESOME!

May the Sci-Fi Animation be born!
Cool..
Ouch, but at least they should learn next time....
Nice, and what's CIC?
Oh, okay.

What he said.
  • Not all the formula shorts are cancelled immediately. Pepe is cancelled following the Jones controversy, followed shortly by Road Runner after some failed attempts to revitalize the series (including making her- yes, her- talk). Sylvester's series ends around the same time and he becomes a supporting character, alongside Mr. Magoo. Tom and Jerry's series is retooled greatly, infamously making them friends and having them talk, but actually managing to be funny and give the characters unique personalities and a fitting dynamic (they ARE friends, yes, but they don't act like it a lot, often engaging in snark-to-snark combat). Chilly Willy's series also ends with him becoming a supporting character for Woody, but a more major supporting character with him becoming Woody's best friend. The revived Andy Panda becomes the new secondary Lantz series, with Beary Family, Inspector Willoughby, and Winnie play backup (Winnie briefly taking Willy's place as second fiddle before Andy is ultimately chosen, and they're neck and neck in terms of popularity).
Interesting.
What changes?

What he said.
Ok.
Cool!
Ok....
How is it retooled?
  • Who is Robyn Starling?
Ain't he a old actor?
Ok....
Makes perfect sense to me. WB's been on the up and up since the late-60s in the animated sense, so it works to have Daffy be more optimistic in nature.

As long as they have a new star post-Magoo, I don't care who it is.

I mean, if we're giving WCG all of Jay Ward's tricks and toons, maybe some light should be shown to this series, at least in an ironic way.

That's even better!

Basically the actual lead of Tom and Jerry: The Movie. Long story short, here's the Wikipedia page:

I'm going to like this new angle, which I'm surprised is the case.
What he said.
Nice.

Are there any differences between the plot of Stars Wars from OTL? And is the film's art style similar to that of the Story of the Faithful Wookie short from the Star Wars Holiday Special?

could i dm you some silly Silvia ideas.
Sure
Are there any differences between the plot of Stars Wars from OTL? And is the film's art style similar to that of the Story of the Faithful Wookie short from the Star Wars Holiday Special?
  1. The general plot is still the same. There are some differences here and there, major and minor. For example, Cloud City first appears here instead of the prequel trilogy like IOTL, and Han is a big green alien. Stuff from Lucas’s first draft, but not all the stuff (Luke is still a young farm boy, for instance).
  2. The drawing style is pretty much the same, just cleaned up, but the rest of the art style has major differences, such as shading and painted backgrounds.

When the 1990s arrive - Do we still get Space Jam with Bugs Bunny, Michael Jordan and company?

More importantly, how about Lola Bunny? Is she going to show up or does she get butterflied away?

Star Wars as animation makes sense; much easier to do alien designs in animation than fitting costumes on actors. But how much is the cast changed in comparison to OTL, because the focus is on their voices?

And with the Marvel films being animated, that just made a butterfly big enough to carry away Lou Ferrigno.

Last edited: