Medieval army sizes?

Sorry if this is the wrong place, but Are there any good resources or estimates for the maximum army sizes that could be levied by kingdoms or nations in medieval times, if only based on modern estimated without primary sources? Examples such as:
  • 13th century HRE.
  • 11-13th century Japan.
  • Any point in China's medieval history?
  • The various Italian city states.
  • The kingdom of England before the Norman conquest.
Of course, I am talking about the entire state armies, not just the forces for one battle.

Much, much smaller than what's depicted in popular culture thats for damn sure. But for specifics I can only really speak towards the last one. The scholarship is currently debating the Great Heathen Army that established the Danelaw in northern England but the size estimates range from near 1000 to the "low thousands". Anglo-saxon war bands were quite small by modern standards, with most "armies" of that era being a few dozen warriors around a noble. Alfred the Great's fyrd, which fought the Great Heathen Army, was certainly bigger but no more more than 1000 individuals.

This period of English history is peak "Dark Ages" for lack of a better word. While there was something resembling state control, it couldn't demonstrate the power and authority to muster, train, equip, control, and supply large groups of armed men.

Sorry if this is the wrong place, but Are there any good resources or estimates for the maximum army sizes that could be levied by kingdoms or nations in medieval times, if only based on modern estimated without primary sources? Examples such as:
  • 13th century HRE.
  • 11-13th century Japan.
Of course, I am talking about the entire state armies, not just the forces for one battle.
The problem with 'entire state armies' is that a state didn't send all its forces to a battle...ever. They had castles that needed garrisoned. Cities and homes guarded. They could also raise and train forces in months if necessary through levies. A comparatively small force was sent out to open battle or to invade another country.

However, here are my current guesses. Regarding to 11th-13th century HRE, Emperor Frederick I in his conflicts with the Italian city states nominally under his control led a force of 8,000 knights to northern Italy during his Fifth Italian Campaign. He did not receive assistance from Henry the Lion, who was duke of both Bavaria and Saxony. He also received later reinforcements of around 2,000 from Germany. So for an invasion of Italy, he marshaled roughly 10,000 Germans. Now if Henry had helped you might have seen another 5,000. So 15,000 for an invasion out of Germany, but for fighting in Germany it wouldn't be impossible to see three or four times that number being organized for local campaigns. Emperor also wasn't a total ruler, so you might have seen more German lords refusing to contribute to Frederick's campaign. So I'd estimate 50,000-60,000 total for Germany of this period but a more active force of 15,000-20,000. This fits with the forces Frederick supposedly led on the Third Crusade. Exaggerated forces claimed 100,000 men, with 20,000 knights, but scholars mostly agree on 15,000, with 3,000 knights.

The HRE during Frederick II's time is even more difficult to judge, since he was also King of Sicily and Sicily could raise something like 7,000-10,000 for Italian campaigns. Frederick II also favored his Sicilian domains, and was content with allowing his German vassals more independence.

No idea on Japan. China however was organizing far, far larger armies. Greater population, more efficiency, and better organization.

The Italian city-states. During Frederick I's time, before the Battle of Legnano, Milan mustered 900 knights, and three other city-states mustered 550 more knights. They had like another 2,000 foot soldiers. So even arguably the richest city-state of the north, Milan, outside the Maritime powers, could only muster 1,000 knights alongside several times more foot soldiers. A decent force, but that was when they were being invaded and the HRE Emperors were trying to enforce their power over Milan and the other city-states. So if sending forces abroad, you'd likely see half of that number if lucky.

Later the Italian city-states started to rely on condottieri, who were professional mercenaries. It allowed them to employ professional forces for money, without needing to go through the process of training their own people for war. So by that point the numbers completely detached from typical medieval army sizes.

It varied massively depending on where you were in the world. In the same period as the Battle of Grunwald, the largest battle of Medieval Europe with somewhere in the ballpark of 60 thousand troops all together the Kingdom of Georgia was putting 70 thousand troops on its own into the field to oppose a Khwarezmid force considered to be at least twice that number.

And of course the Mongols were right behind them!

When I said state armies, you're right, I don't mean all the forces would be concentrated into one battle, I mean what the manpower of older nations would be compared to modern nations that can summon armies in the millions when they need to.

I think this is some of what you're looking for.

MilitarySize.JPG

The maximum manpower a nation was in an article that I read years ago 40% of population. The 60% are all the females plus any males not of military age, ie the kids and ancient ones. A European medieval nation is going to exclude most of the clergy from this. Some males of military age are also going to be excluded by virtue rank (rich merchants) or skills (you are going to keep some armorers out of the line).

Of course the number includes peasants and others of dubious military effectiveness. By tax, work etc, they can be "converted into equipment" to improve some of the others.

Populations that are poor such as the Scots are going to put more troops per se in the field because they cannot do the conversion above. In contrast richer kingdoms such as England can exceed their manpower because they can hire Irish or other fringe mercenaries. (The Welsh are subjects of the English so are already counted in their numbers).

Other possibilities include a handout from the Pope or the war declared to be a crusade so foreigners who pay for their own equipment and travel join the army.

Maoistic

Banned

View attachment 363560
Seems to me that this is based on taking large estimates at face value for the "East" prior to 1500. Moreover, how is it that people can't hate the fact that it is divided into "West" and "East"? Which in practice only includes the Mediterranean and Asia, and absolutely nothing else? It's ridiculous and can't be taken seriously.

• 13th century HRE.
  • 11-13th century Japan.
Really depends on the campaign, William the Conqueror was a merely a Duke, yet was able to muster a force of around 12,000 men because he promised titles in England to those who helped him take the throne. Promises of social advancement or salvation can be as good as gold sometimes.

Really depends on the campaign, William the Conqueror was a merely a Duke, yet was able to muster a force of around 12,000 men because he promised titles in England to those who helped him take the throne. Promises of social advancement or salvation can be as good as gold sometimes.
Wasn't it 7-12k present at Hastings, though they had other garrisons in occupied territories and other battles near England?

It must be stressed that the Chinese army was generally often of fairly low quality during and after the Song Dynasty,and that a lot of them the weren’t really expected to fight.I’m not talking about the problems caused by civilian control of the military,but the quality of the common Chinese soldier themselves.The Song Dynasty had a policy of recruiting soldiers in disaster zones whenever a famine/natural disaster occurred in order to reduce the chance of displaced men causing a peasant revolt.The consequence was the over one million soldier army you often see.The problem was that even the Song government could not adequately feed and pay such an army,meaning that a lot of soldiers were poorly equipped,paid and trained.A lot of them weren’t really expected to fight foreign invasions except to police local areas.

Last edited:

PhilippeO

Banned
When I said state armies, you're right, I don't mean all the forces would be concentrated into one battle, I mean what the manpower of older nations would be compared to modern nations that can summon armies in the millions when they need to.

The Main problem is not size of armies or even number of conscriptable man, but Logistics and State Administrative Capability. moving armies from homeland to battlefield and feeding them would be enormous trouble, even to gather men at Capital could take weeks. Modern States have much larger logistical and administrative ability to conscript large number of their men, training them, sending them with railroads and ships, feed them, pay their salary, etc. On the other hand city under siege would have conscripted all people behind wall to do something.

The maximum manpower a nation was in an article that I read years ago 40% of population.

I would note that 40% would be in the case of national extinction, or extremely short periods of time. The economy will cease to exist with that many men under arms, regardless of what era we're talking about.

View attachment 363560

That graphic seems a bit dubious in places. For example, I doubt Judah was the biggest military power of its day, even at the height of the united monarchy period. And 400,000 for the late Roman Empire is almost certainly too large, at least if we're going by actual rather than paper strength: if the fifth-century Emperors had had that sort of army available, they wouldn't have lost the western half of the Empire to barbarians.

I would note that 40% would be in the case of national extinction, or extremely short periods of time. The economy will cease to exist with that many men under arms, regardless of what era we're talking about.

Peter Heather, in The Fall of the Roman Empire, gives a figure of 20% for total available manpower, although this is for the migrating barbarian tribes, who'd be able to put a bigger percentage of their population in the army than their more civilised opponents.

Peter Heather, in The Fall of the Roman Empire, gives a figure of 20% for total available manpower, although this is for the migrating barbarian tribes, who'd be able to put a bigger percentage of their population in the army than their more civilised opponents.

20% is a number I've seen about in other sources.

One of my favorite adages of history is that when you lay a ground rule, an unspoken exception would always be "unless you're the Mongols." Nomadic tribes like the Hun or Mongols function so differently from a settled state that the normal ground rules don't apply.

trajen777

Banned
On the ERE an excellent source (and Treadgold starts the analysis pre-Diocletian Rome) would be here https://smerdaleos.files.wordpress....-a-history-of-byzantine-state-and-society.pdf.

His book on Byz arms ( https://books.google.com/books/abou...ver&source=kp_read_button#v=onepage&q&f=false) breaks down in finite detail by year the Bzy army, its payroll, % of population, etc etc, that you might find interesting.

I think he figures a high of 2.5% or the population and most of the time 1% or less of the population. So the ERE was a much better org and tax efficient state then the rest of Europe at this time so i think the best that can be done would be 0.25% to 0.5% of a counties population. The less econ developed the smaller %.

In both books he created a table showing army size, % of population, and impact on the economy of having this % if the pop in the military

Last edited: