Medieval America Mark III

(Non-Canon) Texas
  • OK, I can see that to a certain extent, though I think it strikes a pretty good balance. I've always gotten a strong Hanseatic/Baltic vibe from the region myself with the merchant colonies. Now, there is going to be a certain amount of orientalization, for a number of reasons. Firstly, there's going to be a conscious effort by the Cascadians to orientalize: their religion is Buddhism as done by kale-eating hipsters, full of ostentation and borderline racist Orientalisms and oversimplification. The "more Asian than Asia" aesthetic is just part and parcel. Secondly, a lot of the East Asian Buddhists of California (around 500,000 of them as of writing) are going to be fleeing once Scientology takes control, and that's sure to make a demographic dent. And third, albeit most minorly, there probably will be some contact with Japan and China, as there is trans-pacific fishing and trading.

Now, orientalization may get a little bit much in Columbia, though I think that's to a certain extent due to the nature of that country: it's a feudal warrior-based land with volcanic mountains. Which menas it's going to be orientalized both in its likely outcomes, and in the mind of the writer.

Now, as to the "Star Wars": yes, this is absurdity, but I think it's all in good fun and essentially justifiable. Because really, "Star Wars" is the epitome of American Buddhist orientalism, and I think it makes sense that at some point the Cascadians would pick up on the similarities between this folk-tale and their form of Buddhism.

And besides, wandering rock-and-roll Sith Ronin fighting for the rights of the Mormond serfdom against the Jedi Shogunate is just too much fun to
    You know what, I'll let go of the absurdity of the PNW for now. Although I will keep it in my mind as a way for me to not make any ASBish posts in this thread in the future. Anyways I'm ending my PNW rant, and here is my post for Texas:

Texas was one of the most populated areas of the continental united states before the collapse along with California, but unlike California, it never had the fortune to have a protective mountain range and a very productive farming area. Instead, it fell into a state of dissarray, as nomads, farmers, merchants, criminals, and other groups tried to take over what was left of the any other groups in the region. Eventually, a powerful nomadic family known as the Andersons took power and subjegated a large hunk of the former Texas, but alienated many of the non-nomadic population due to it's staunch stance of pro-nomadism, and caused many rebelions to sprout up in the decades to ensue. A sect of the Anderson family led by Calvin Anderson, the nephew of the current leader attempted to stage a coup in order to reorgainze the Andersons and the territory that it controlled into a full-on-nation and integrate the farmers and the pastors into one, but failed due to defection. Calvin fled with his closest family to the coastal cites, and the rest of the supporters of the coup were killed and executed in a rampage, as the leader was furious about how his nephew attempted a coup and uniting with the farmers, who were inferior in the leader's eyes. Meanwhile, Calvin Anderson still remains in Galveston, plotting to take down the rest of the Andersons, and unite the Ancient land of Texas under his rule once and for all..... (man, I need better writing)

Last edited:
    The Loggerjacks
  • timber-california.jpg

The Loggerjacks
    In the great outlands north of Minaesotah and Dakotah, there are forests of towering trees, taller than the greatest redwoods which cover the frozen landscape. Glaciers covered the once mountainous area leaving behind a flat landscape covered with great timberlands and icy rivers. And in these untamed lands, a group of people thrive in the woods surviving upon the gifts of nature for warmth and shelter. The priests of the Rizzini name them spirits of those who have died from the Great Frost while the Iowans call them bloodthirsty savages driven mad by isolation in the great woods. However, this culture is none of those things, they are something greater.

After the Regression that killed off the Old Republic, the people of the Midwest began to learn the ways of old. Guns gave way to the bow and arrow and cars gave way to the horse. The people of the forest retreated deeper and deeper into the woods where they used their felling axes and saws to clear the trees for timber. This wood made up the backbone for their society as it was the fuel to warm their homes and the building blocks for their strange cabins. They too wore the broad-brimmed leather hats of their southern brothers and the deerskin overalls of their siblings in the west. Yet the greatest thing they had was the tales they told.

The loggerjacks could tell strange and fantastic stories about great heroes and fearsome critters. They told stories about their savior, Paul Bunyan, the giant who planted the forests in which they live and Babe the Blue Ox, who guarded the loggerjacks from malevolent spirits. They told tales of how the great Bunyan built a mountain with his bare hands and made it a land of plenty, a Cockayne for the forest folk. And they whispered around the fire about blind hairless bears, hounds with axe-shaped maws, panthers as large as bears, and man-eaters thin as rakes. The people would use the felled logs to build poles in which they carved the faces of monsters and warriors.

However, the loggerjacks are a mere shadow of what their predecessors were. The steel tools they used to fell entire forests have rusted away with wear and tear. The Great Frost has killed hundreds of thousands from famine and the survivors have been forced to travel great and distant routes towards the warmer lands. However, their southern brothers view them with fear and hatred, forcibly removing them from the lands in which they roam. However, the people stand strong for there is a land of plenty over the sunrise and through the mountains which they will call home.

The Dineh Confederacy of New Mexico
  • Updated version of New Mexico, with a shiny new map.

The Dineh Confederacy
    Flag_of_New_Mexico.jpg

_medam__the_dineh_confederacy_of_new_mexico_by_gottfreyundroy-dbwr2sr.png

• System of Government: Hydraulic Empire
      • Head of State:
        • President, chosen by Deathrace
    • Population: 950,000
    • Religion: New Age
      • Totemic Symbol: Zia Sun

"Hear ye, all persons! Ye people as many as ye are! I have done this according to the design of my heart. ... I have restored that which was in ruins, I have raised up that which was unfinished since the Buddhists were in the midst of the Northland [Deseret], and the cowboys were in the midst of them, overthrowing that which was made, while they ruled in ignorance of the Aquarian Way. When I was firm upon the throne of Aquarius, I was ennobled until the two periods of years...I came as Alamagordo flaming against my enemies. My command stands firm like mountains, and the sun's disk shines and spreads rays overy the titulary of my august person, and my eagle rises high above the presidential banner unto all eternity."

-Final State of the Union inscription of President Bill Cisneros, 11th Dynasty

New Mexico is a land at a crossroads. The three rivers, the four corners, and nigh-on a hundred tribes. The modern history of the region began just as the regression did. As air conditioners became less and less viable, more and more people moved out of the "Sun-Belt" for more amicable climes. Besides those few normal Anglos that hunkered down and remained, three groups were left behind: the Hispanics (whose migration slowed as the economy of the US did), the Natives (who had been in these lands since time immemorial and weren't going to move now), and, strangest of all, the New Agers.

Meanwhile, the Southwest was a bloody war-zone. As the US folded, a variety of warlords attempted to re-establish government in their local area, while the Native Tribes rose up to re-claim their homelands. There were no real rules nor permanent alliances, just a Machievallian "every-man-for-himself" type deal.

By far, the most powerful of the fiefs was the Navajo Nation, which had steadily expanded and absorbed other tribes as the Regression went on. But without a foothold on any of the three major rivers (the Gila, the Colorado, or the Rio Grande) or access to a major copper deposit (essential in making the bronze weapons that dominated the region). They nearly overran New Mexico, before being overthrown by their former ally, the half-Navajo mayor of Two Sun. He conquered Dinetah and New Mexico, and declared himself leader of the Dineh Confederation.

From there, the nation has gone through many ups and downs, with as many as ten dynasties. The most recent of these ended with the disastrous reign of the so-called "Gray President" (whose name has been struck from all records). He plunged the nation into civil war between his rival heirs in Santa Fe, Phoenix, and El Paso over who would sit on the throne in splendid Alburquerque. Lifers armed with bronze weapons ravaged the kingdom, causing the valuable rivers to run with blood. Worst of all, there was no President to perform the sacred rites to keep the Other at bay.

Colonel Bill Cisneros, the ruler of Phoenix, finally broke the stalemate a half-century ago. Already controlling the bulk of the kingdom's copper mines, thus forcing the other two claimaints to increasingly rely on Cowboy mercenaries, Bill launched a daring raid that seized the Cibola Salt Mine, completely disrupting his rivals' economy. After a few short battles he was able to enter Alburquerque and crown himself President, claiming a line of descent back to Pre-Regression Navajo rulers. He made the trip to Sacred Roswell, where the Other once touched the World of Man, and made the sacred rituals to keep the Grays placated.

His final act before being buried in his pyramid was to resolve the succession issues that having multiple wives provided - upon his internment, his sons would race from Alburquerque to Roswell. The prince who arrived there first and completed the sacred rites would be hailed as President. The losers would be strangulated. And thus far, it has worked.

Last edited:
    Stakes of Deseret: Utah
  • tehskyman

Banned
    Stakes of Deseret: Utah

Utah is an oasis in the desert, a fertile plain amongst hundreds of miles of desert mountains and mountains. Travelling south from Pocatello you ride along the salt road. You will pass traders and travelers as well as mounted legions on the finest horses of Wyoming and Idaho. In the east it is said that to keep the road clear of snow and ice, they spread salt along the paths, a nation so wealthy so powerful, that they can discard salt like some common sand. Now in reality, this doesn't happen, salt is just too valuable for that but this road is called the salt road for a reason.

Imagine yourself, a young mormon soldier. You are the third son of a minor viceroy. Your father's position is not supposed to be hereditary, but over the years this has changed. He has no land for you to inherit so you join the army to find your own way in this world. Your training in the backwaters of Idaho has ended and now your company and you ride to the holy City to bring the word of god to the heathens of the south. As you travel along the salt road you pass and are passed by tens if not hundreds of horses and carts, each carrying several barrels of salt, destined to end up in the hands of Cascadians, Midwesterners or some horseback barbarians. Each one of these barrels worth their weight in gold, they are guarded by soldiers like you, travelling in convoys. Ensuring that the goods make it to market. Later that week you've almost made it to Ogden and now you and your company are about to enter the holy land. You have already technically been in Utah for the last week or so but now you see the truly holy land and you fall to your knees overwhelmed by the beauty of the land. To your right, the Great Salt Lake, the Sea of the Sky, the Oasis of Deseret, the holy waters God showed the prophet Joseph Smith and his acolyte Brigham Young. To your left, the holy wall of the Wasatch Mountains. Their peaks still white from an early October snowfall. And in front of you, a vast plain, the golden fields of wheat and corn not yet harvested. The holy land where the early church spread its roots and cast out the gentile. A truly holy land. Your friends around you do the same, overcome with the same religious zeal, tears in their eyes as they feel closer to god than ever before.

That night you make camp with several monk-warriors veterans. Holy men of the presidential guard. They regale you and your company with stories about the holy land. How the salt flats stretch for miles. Their gleaming white surface blinding those who look too closely. How after the rains, when the surface is covered in water, it becomes a shining mirror that continues past the horizon. A beautiful view that makes you feel as though you are truly in god's kingdom. They tell you of the frontier, the south, all the places they have been. You fall asleep dreaming of strange lands, where the people pray to trees, of a rift in the land so great it could only have come from God's own sword. Of a canyon so deep and wide, it must have been God's temple on earth. Another day goes by and the day after you reach the holy city itself. Salt Lake City. The city by the Sea of the Mountains, the holy city where the prophet Joseph Smith and his holy acolyte Brigham Young brought the Mormon people to be closer to God's embrace. You wander through the narrow streets and alleyways and you stumble into the central square. People and stalls everywhere, selling all sorts of goods. Bread, wine, cheese etc. All for sale in front of the great temple. Though it's spires are not yet fully complete, you are awed by the beauty of the temple. Its gleaming white marble shining in the early morning sun. The spires like the peaks of the Wasatch mountains at your back. You finally know your purpose in life, to defend this temple, defend this land from the devils and daemons that seek to corrupt it. Utah has captured your heart.

Salt Lake City has the largest Salt markets across the entirety of what was once the US. However calling them markets is inaccurate. The Desereti government has a monopoly on salt extraction and foreign merchants can only purchase it from the government in Salt auctions. The great salt auction hall is located in the heart of the holy city. Not in the central square in front of the temple, but close enough. Other guilds like the guild of ceramics have similar auction halls, selling goods from April to October, before the snows set in and close off the mountain passes. Every morning at the crack of sunrise during that time, purchase rights go up for sale. Merchants bid on the price at which they will buy barrels at. Bidding ends after a maximum of 15 minutes. For the rest of the hour, merchants will negotiate the purchase of barrels from the government at the set price. It is for this reason that various merchant houses will band together and bid together so that the price will not escalate enormously. The bidding price starts at 1.5 times the price of extraction. At the end of every day, whatever salt that was not sold will go to government chartered merchants to sell themselves in markets in Pocatello, Casper, Boise and beyond. Government chartered merchants have access to the excess salt as well as a certain percentage of all salt extracted. Chartered merchants are able to buy the salt at the set 1.5 times the price of extraction and do not have to bid. Extraneously ,chartered merchants often enter auctions to bid up the price.
    In addition to Salt, Mormon ceramics are quite valued in the East, their glass works especially so. Porcelain sculptures of mountain sheep and birds are treasured across the continent. Bowls and Vases dyed with brilliant reds and oranges, deep blues and pure whites are renowned from California to Ohio.

All these luxury goods feed the opulence that is the Mormon President. Sitting in his throne inside the great temple complex, he commands an empire and lives in pure and total luxury. Like the ancient Persian shahs that came before him, he is bedecked in fine goods from across the continent. Californian Wines and gold, Texan beef, Cascadian fish. His is an empire that lives off of trade and while they keep the herdsmen at bay, trade prospers and blooms. Every night, he sleeps with a different concubine. 100 of the finest women in the whole empire, his private harem, they call them the desert roses. His children plentiful, his brothers supporting him as his council. The Mormon President is a god amongst men and his will is absolute.

Foreign Relations And Utah

The Desert Empires of the South: Contact with these nations is sparse. In between Salt Lake City and the cores of these empires lie hundreds of miles of desert and canyon and mountains. The impassable terrain means that both sides generally keep to themselves. In fact the only place where Deseret maintain a formal relation with the Dineh Confederacy is Lee's ferry, the one place for hundreds of miles where one can ford the Colorado. Both nations maintain a small fort on both sides of the river, crossing only to declare to the other side when a ruler has died and another takes their place. Occasion trade between Mormon merchants and tribesmen occurs here too, generally, medicinal plants and sheep products in exchange for weapons and Mormon favour. Iron/ Steel weapons are a rarity in the desert and the Mormons have enough to give around. All they ask is for some time which always begins with "Have you found Jesus?". The missionary work never ends, only now the young men in front of you are warrior monks.

Mormon tribes of Eastern Utah and Nevada: Mormon soldiers will often patrol the deserts where Mormon tribespeople reside. They'll bring with them holy books and preach to them, showing off Mormon power and generally keeping them in line. They'll also mediate disputes and conflicts between clans using the holy power conferred to the commander as the final word. Weapons and armor are frequently traded or gifted to these tribesmen. This allows them to repel attack from Californian or Dineh patrols and keeps them happy. Often times the Desereti will build small outposts in the desert to guard important trade routes and watch for foolish incursions.

Western History Maps
  • Here's something interesting:

I was looking through White's image cache, and he sketches out the entire history of the West.

west1.gif

Here, we see something that more or less resembles the present day of the scenario, with two notable exceptions: first, California is divided between four states, the southernmost of which is the largest, and presumably Scientologist. This suggests that unity in California was not quite as constant as we may have suggested.

Second, New Mexico and Arizona are independent of one another, though this is likely a common occurrence.

west2.gif

Now, we see the Columbian expansion. Rather than first conquering Idaho and Deseret, as I had suggested, it first conquered Cascadia. This should radically change the history of Columbia.

Idaho seem to have become independent of Deseret. Perhaps due to Yaeger Raids putting a strain on resources?

California has been unified by San Francisco, while Socal has broken down into a three-way civil war.

New Mexico is totally unified.

west3.gif

Columbia has overrun the Snake River, Deseret is a rump state with Wyoming captured by the Jaegers. New Mexico is split again, this time with Arizona taking El Paso. California is totally united.

west4.gif

Finally, we see the Columbians at their maximum extent. The Free Zone has declared independence, and New Mexico is now split between three dynasties - Arizona, El Paso and Albuquerque.

I'll need to rethink a few things. Ironically, the disunified California comports exactly with some personal ideas I'd been toying with - when I applied White's method of state-placing by circle, I found Nocal should hold three states.

Ontario Map
  • tehskyman

Banned
    Most American Catholics probably converted before the Regression was complete. Most of those who didn't probably converted during the Quebecker Crusades. Those few who remain are probably percieved as Catholics were in early American history - a fifth column, ready to strike the moment the signal came out from Quebec City.

How much of Nahuatl religion is common knowledge among Mexicans today?

Doesn't feel in fitting.

How so?

Idk things like the legends of Popocatepetl and Iztaccihuatl. Small elements like that.

How is voodoo on the large islands not fitting? I can voodoo spreading by trade and the interiors of those islands would be more resistant to the change. Though I guess by now, everyone would have converted to Voodoo.

It's mostly with regard to the east. White has 3 states in the east
    upload_2017-12-17_20-11-9.png

However the north eastern part of the province is too stony and rocky to actually have agriculture. Even now it's mostly forest

upload_2017-12-17_20-14-48.png

The borders should look more like this

upload_2017-12-17_20-15-11.png

With Quebec now assuming the title of "Dominion of Canada"

Basically Quebec conquered ottawa (canadian Capital), declared itself the remnant of "Canada"

Also Ontario should be "Province of Ontario" not state. I think this regional quirk would remain.

Nameless States
  • tehskyman

Banned
    http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/medvam/images/rivermap.gif

This clears up a couple in the midwest. The rest have no name and will have to be made up.
    upload_2017-12-17_20-47-33.png

1. Territory of the Ozarks? Kansas Territory

2. Oklahoma Territory

3. Adams County?

4. Apalachicola County?

5. Knox County duh

6,7 . Could be anything

8 Provence du Champlain

9. Albany County?

10, 11, 12 + everything else could be anything/ dont matter enough. Random Principalities/ Counties/ Districts

edit: number 2 shows up here but nowhere else so Idk if it is actually a state

http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/medvam/images/cities2.gif

Bermuda Triangle-Trade
  • tehskyman

Banned
    Definitely, 100%. This region will be a battle front between Caribbean Naval Empires, the American Trade Empire and the Louisianan Trade empires.

It is the hub about which several major trade routes converge. The Mississippi / gulf coast route, the eastern seaboard route, A route connecting Mexico and the Caribbean via the Yucatan and the Caribbean island end route. Matt White didn't include it, but I think that a trade city might grow around Key west. It's either here or in Havana, because Key West - Havana is the shortest route across the Straits of Florida. I think Havana might be larger but only because it has a larger hinterland and a larger source of fresh water.
    upload_2017-12-19_21-26-24.png

The Anderson Territory
  • The Anderson Territory

_medam__the_anderson_territory_by_gottfreyundroy-dbxngcx.png

• System of Government: Tribal Feudalism
      • Head of State: High Judge, chosen by lot of the Judges of the Territory from the ruling Anderson family
    • Population: 1,100,000
    • Religion: New Israelite
      • Totemic Symbol: Lone Star of David

Two hundred years ago, the Andersons were on a roll. When William "Big Bill" Anderson seized the four great hill-forts of Texas that lay on the border between the agricultural lowlands and the wild plains, his dominance over the region as a whole was assured. The coastal lords could no longer stave off the Cowboys with tribute and the threat of being a nuisance to conquer: they would have to bend the knee, or die.

When Big Bill Anderson held the first Cowboy tent revival in Houston, the Holy Spirit came through him, and he revealed a great truth to the assembled horde: that, out of Houston and out of the Andersons, the Messiah would be born. Many of those gathered believed that Big Bill himself was the messiah, and he did little to quash these rumors, but they quashed themselves when he was beheaded by a Crusader at the Battle of Texarkana. Regardless, the revelation and the prophecies he espoused that day inform the nature and governance of the Anderson Territory to this day.

The advances of the Andersons have been rolled back over time, thanks to their eternal conflicts with their omnipresent-enemies - the Okies, the Texarkanans, the Broncos, and the Louisianians. Today, they've settled into more peaceable relationships with some of their neighbors, such as the Louisianians and the Broncos, while maintaining hostility towards others though not constantly invading, such as against the Okies and the Texarakanans.

The nation itself is divided in two. In the north are the wild pasture lands, where men are men and horses run wild and free. Here, the various clans have designated "Ranch" territories where they have grazing rights to raise vast herds of cattle. To the south, in the agricultural districts, the same clans function as feudal lords ruling over the hated agriculturalists. Each clan is ruled by a Judge, as is customary across much of the New Israelite world.

In the capital of Houston, the Andersons rule. Technically, the High Judge could be elected from any of the many Judges, but invariably they choose an Anderson, on the off chance that the next one is, in fact, the messiah. Sitting empty in the palace is the great throne, ready for the declaration of the Kingdom of New Israel and the arrival of the Messiah.

Last edited:
    The Rizzini Territories
  • tehskyman

Banned
    Rizzini Territory

Rizzini.png

• System of Government: Tribal Monarchy
      • Head of State: High Judge, chosen from the Rizzini Family by lot of the various Judges of the Territory
    • Population: 700,000
    • Religion: New Israelite
    • Totemic Symbol: Deer Skull
    Sitting on top of largest trade route crossing the great plains the Rizzini's are the wealthiest family on all the great Plains. They are wealthier than the presidents of all but Ohio and California. Vast herds of cattle managed by subordinates and their families have the Rizzini brand on their ears. Other tribes cower before them and their war band. But their power is not unchecked. Their neighbors eye their wealth and hope to seize it from them as they seized it all those years ago.

250 years ago the Rizzinis were living on the plains of the Dakotas, powerful Judges in their own right. The Heinemens had the rights to what is now Rizzini territory and they were equally wealthy and powerful as the Rizzinis are today. That is until Robert Heinemen died and his teenage son Karl became high Judge of Heinemen territory. Karl promptly decided to attack the State of Illinois to shore up his power base. The war band was doing fine until a surprise rainstorm allowed an Illinois army to smash the Heinemen warband at Des Moines killing off much of Karl's immediate family while Karl himself was dragged off to Rock Island to be tortured and humiliated. Without a successor the judges of Heinemen territory tore themselves apart and the Rizzini's moved in, killed the Heinemen men sold the old women and boys into slavery and took the young women and girls as concubines.

That was a long time ago and the Rizzinis have enjoyed the peace and the prosperity that comes with extorting merchants and farmers. The Mormons and the Baileys used to pay enormous sums each year to keep the Rizzini's off their back but the civilizing effect of wealth has curbed Rizzini aggression in recent years. Farmers have been returning to the Eastern part of the territory and the Rizzini's have been content to allow them to grow their crops provided they pay their taxes with a religious tax on top. Sitting on top of a gilded throne in Omaha, life is good for the Rizzini family. They have even managed to marry into and marry, the Iowan Royal family ensuring peace on their eastern border.

However their wealth has attracted unwanted attention in recent years and invasions from Wyoming, Kansas and Iowa have been beaten back but at the cost of Dakota and the trimming down of the Rizzini family tree. From a peak of almost 80 separate branches of cousins and siblings the Rizzini family now consists of 5 brothers, and a handful of cousins with much of their herds now managed by families of vice-stockmen and judges. Some of these vice-stockmen have grown very powerful indeed and are looking for a larger slice of the pie, something the Rizzinis have no choice but to indulge them in, buying off their allegiance for another generation.

Last edited:
    Some Notable Cowboys pt 1
  • tehskyman

Banned
    Some Notable Cowboys pt 1

Martin "The Mountain" Sifton
    Early on in the new medieval ages around 2370, the Cochrane Tribe was in big trouble. Their rivals the Nelson Tribe of the Bow River had smashed their main force the fall before and a harsh winter had killed off half of their tribe. Outnumbered 2 to 1 and surrounded, the tribe was doomed. Seizing the opportunity Martin Sifton, a young cowboy major, challenged the aging Colonel of the tribe: Jon Cochrane, his two sons Al and Mike to armed combat for leadership of the tribe. However he was no ordinary cowboy. He was gifted with a giant physique growing to almost 7ft tall, so large he rode a Desereti Warhorse like a common pony. He was not even 14 years old when he claimed his first scalps and was allowed to wear eagle feathers. During the armed duel Martin lost half his draw hand to Mike's sword. Not soon after Martin sliced off Mike's left arm and then his head. He finished the duel by pressing his thumbs into Al's eyes and blinding him. Later Martin would mutilate Al and keep him around as his fool for several years before finally tiring of his presence and beheading him. With his victory, Martin was able to seize control over the formerly Cochrane now Sifton Tribe.

Taking decisive action at first thaw, Martin raided the Nelsons and in the chaos, led his tribe away from the Nelsons and through the Banff Pass and into the Rocky Mountains. With Dan Nelson and half of his tribe hot on their trail they abandoned their wagons and continued only on saddle. Those would could not ride were abandoned and the tribe pressed on. Travelling through the various passes Martin was able to set a trap for Dan Nelson. Dismounting and positioning his men on the side of a mountain, Martin was able to ambush Nelson and capture him. Amputating Dan's bow arm, Sifton sent word to Nelson's eldest son Jack to treat. Knowing that Jack would attempt to kill him and take his father back Martin doubled back and lay in waiting above one of the mountain passes Jack Nelson would have to navigate.

For a quarter moon he waited and the day Jack Nelson walked through that pass he was doomed. As Nelson made camp, Sifton and his men rode down onto the unsuspecting cowboys and slaughtered them. He captured Dan Nelson's only daughter Kate and took her as his wife. Her dowry? Nearly all the cattle of the Nelson tribe. In exchange Martin was generous, he would give Dan a painless death and allow Dan's last surviving son Roy to live provided he never set foot north of the Missouri ever again. Martin fathered a dynasty on Kate Nelson, one that at it's peak managed to put all of Alberta, Montana and Saskatchewan into vassalage and had a herd numbering in the many tens of thousands. Martin was an avatar of war, conquering much of Alberta. At the time of his death, his war bonnet contained almost 100 feathers, added whenever he smashed an enemy force.

The Macleod Tribe: Across the Rockies
    When his brother died at the hands of Pat Sifton, Irvine Macleod and his tribe were trapped and had nowhere to flee. Pressed up against the foothills of the Rockies Irvine decided to copy Pat's father and ride into the mountains hoping to try his luck beyond Crowsnest pass. Pat Sifton didn't take the bait though. He knew what his father had done and stationed several men to watch the pass to notify him when the Macleod's returned. Summer turned to fall and Irvine Macleod could not wait any longer. He could not return to the plains and so he pressed deeper into the mountains. He was after a mythic land to the cowboys, an oasis in the mountains, Columbia. Wandering south, he prepared his tribe and their livestock to wait out the winter and then cross the remainder of the Rockies when the snow melted. The winter was particularly harsh, the snow burying the cowboys in almost 3 ft of snow, killing much of their herds but preserving the meat. When spring arrived later than usual, the Macleods set out for Colombia. Stumbling through the mountains they reached the border of Columbia after 2 months, half of them dead from starvation or the cold with nearly all their cattle slaughtered for food. Resting up for half a moons turn, the Macleod's prepared to invade Columbia.

At that time Columbia was divided between Mormons in the southeast, Bhuddists in the West and Pagans everywhere else. War and famine the year before and floods from the spring melt made the three factions unusually weak. Irvine Macleod and his tribe exploited their weakness and waged war down the Columbia river. Spreading terror all the way to the Cascades, they were ready to invade the Pacific Northwest until one day they awoke to Mount Rainier spewing fire into the air and ash across the Columbian Basin. When the ash poisoned their horses and irritated their lungs they were weakened. And when the armies of Seattle and Portland arrived to slaughter them, the Macleods were forced to return to Spokane.

Consolidating their rule over the Northern Columbia Basin especially around Spokane, the Macleods slowly converted the locals into New Israelites until several generation's later they were overthrown by one of their vassals. To this day few other cowboys have made it across the Rockies like the Macleods did. At most small bands will make it across. Before the Columbian order unified the basin, the wandering cowboys would be assimilated into Spokanite society or killed. Nowadays they're just killed.

Last edited:
    A Brief History of the Age of Aquarius
  • A Brief History of the Age of Aquarius

tumblr_lf8vxd2GZp1qgu09ro1_500.jpg

In the towns of Santa Fe, Tumacacori, Arcosanti, Roswell and Sedona, strange and disparate groups had been gathering since the 1970s. Devoted to the esoteric, the otherworldly and the mystical, these so-called "New Agers" had little unifying between them but for a few loose concepts and a disdain for the modern world and its close-mindedness. They saw the coming return to a simpler time as a positive step on humanity's path towards enlightenment.

And so it was that 50 years post-regression, as the wise men saw the early signs of civilizations collapse, that a herald was issued forth from Sedona: the dawning of the Age of Aquarius had come, and it would begin in the American Southwest. Though ridiculed by those "Downers" who still clinged to the hope of society's survival, the herald drew in New Agers from as far away as Cascadia and New England, with entire communities packing themselves into wagons overnight to make the long arduous journey.

The arrival of fellow enlightened individuals was met with jubilations, leading to nearly a month of spiritual enlightenment and partying-hardy, people bringing themselves to ecstasy as a warm=up for the coming age of free love. And then they waited, and waited, and waited... until they finally realized that this whole Age of Aquarius may be more of a "Behold, I shall come quickly" type-deal. They hunkered down, got to farming, and got to killing each other over the nuances of their faith.

In the beginning, these marginal communities were just that: marginal. Though the New Age flourished in the hills to the north of Phoenix, it would only be as more and more people fled south and west for the waters of the Gila and the Colorado, raising the relative population percentage of New Agers. New Age warlords would take control of Flagstaff, but only long after the government had moved operations down to Phoenix.

Those few who could eked out a meagre living as subsistence farmers along the Verde River, while others established colonies in the major cities. For the most part, however, the Arizonan adherents of the New Age became wanderers, domesticating the feral camels that colonized the American southwest. In this way, the New Age spread across northern half of the state. As it did, it came in contact with the Navajo, who were re-asserting their traditional dominion over that land. With most New Agers already incorporating a number of Native American customs into their faith and being fully invested in the stereotype of the "Noble Savage", the two communities got along famously, slowly merging into one another as time went on.

The New Age spread peacefully to the south of Arizona during the Great Droughts of the 200s, when the collapsing state and religious authorities were overthrown by angry locals who had finally lost faith in the old system. Termed "Simpletons" by their detractors for their blatant disdain for "science" and the old world, they embraced New Age and Navajo ideals.

A similar phenomenon ocurred in New Mexico. The New Age in this state was focused to two regions, Santa Fe and Roswell. Santa Fe became a powerful city in its own right as the world collapsed, and one that was plurality New Age. Though the city was toppled by Navajo invaders during the Great Droughts, they quickly used it to assert the New Age all the way down to El Paso. As they spread through the state, they were met with an invasion by the nomadic horsemen of the Pecos River, devotees of the New Age cult based out of the hill-fort of Roswell. Though the New Mexicans would beat back the horsemen all the way to Roswell, they did not crush their religion, instead incorporating it full-heartedly into the New Age corpus, though the remnants of the horde fled east into Oklahoma.

The civilized regions of New Mexico were far more pious towards the New Age then those of Arizona, meaning that it would only become the national religion with the New Mexican conquest of Arizona. It was then that the First Dynasty was declared, and the President was placed at the top of the New Age religious hierarchy. It would only become truly entrenched during the reign of the Third President, who launched a series of persecutions against the Christians and Scientologists who still lived in New Mexican territory. These persecutions were led at the local level by allies, generally holy men and women of the New Age. As his reign co-incided with some of the best rains that the region had seen in centuries, the New Age become almost universally popular.

The decision to empower local Medicine Men and Mediums would prove particuarly pivotal. As an inherently loose religious structure, each holy man or woman of the New Age had his or her own preferred philosophy and higher powers, but little ability to enforce this view upon others. When they were granted resources to enforce "New Age", they generally took this to mean their particular brand of the faith. This led to a system of patron deities and competing temple complexes, a political unit which dominates the inner workings of the Confederacy to this day.
    It would be the fourth president of the First Dynasty who would begin one of the most hallowed traditions of the New Age: the pyramids.

Pyramids were a distantly recalled memory of Ancient Egypt, and generally regarded as something holy and supernatural by New Age clergy, who had long employed "pyramid power" in their healing ritual. It would with the work of the priest and scholar "Righteous the Elder", however, that pyramid power would be applied to the dead. In a famous treatise, based on his (admittedly scanty) knowledge of the use of pyramids by the Egyptians and the Mesoamericans, he surmised that pyramids had the capability to repair the bad vibrations inflicted upon one's life essence through the course of their life, and furthermore that they eased the transition process between this world and the next. The tradition of pyramid building began in Santa Fe before the Confederation was fully formed.

Being essentially the national religion of the southwestern people, and being hemmed in two sides by powerful, centrally organized religions, the New Age would have little success in terms of proselyitization. Many of the shepherds and tribesmen in the badlands between California and New Mexico would convert to the faith in its early days, but most of them ultimately were won over by the well-organized efforts of Scientologist missionaries, leaving behind only a substrate in the tribes west of the Colorado. The faith had influence in Las Vegas at its height, but it was already such a religiously diverse land that it made little difference. Some of the tribesmen of Colorodo would convert, but most of them would either be won over by the Mormons or joined the Muslims of Kuluradu. The rocky badlands to the south are even worse, with most folk worshiping a degenerated form of Catholicism that gave alms to La Santa Muerte. New Age only barely holds sway in Nogales, thanks to its proximity to Tumacori.

Perhaps the New Age's greatest success was on the Great Plains. The Pecos watershed had long been dominated by tribes of New Age horsemen who centered themselves on the holy hill-fort of Roswell. These tribes were not, however, cowboys, and were often at odds with the tribes of cowboys and broncos that dominated Texas. So great was the fear of these horsemen of the New Israelites that they allowed themselves to be subjugated by the Dineh. Something strange would happen, however, when a new tribe of cowboys migrated to the area. Displaced by the expansion of the Anderson clan, these cowboys originally hailed from Oklahoma and were of predominantly Cherokee descent. Though New Israelites, they were tenative at best, putting a lot of stock into their pre-Christian faith. In the pro-Native American rhetoric of the New Age, they found solace, creating a strange hybrid religion. Known to themselves as the Keelers after their Judge, and known to the settled peoples of the east as the Okies, they would return to their ancestral homeland with their new faith in hand and create one of the three great cowboy tribes.

A number of schisms and heresies would wrack the faith over its 800 year history. The Raelian Movement, the Ghost Dancers, the Prohibitionists: these names are curses to your typical New Ager. One heresy, however, is hardly even mention, known only to the oldest and the wisest of New Mexican Society: the heresy of the so-called Gray President. Unfortunately, it is somewhat difficult to know just what exactly his heresy constituted, as the authorities have done their best to scrub not only his philosophy from history, but his very name, hence the euphemistic title. It can be surmised that this President attempted to move the nation from its polytheism to a strict henotheism, with emphasis placed upon the god-spirit alternatively known as Trinity or Alamagordo, representative of the sun, supreme potency, and the excesses of man (with some Christian Trinitarian ideas wrapped up in there thanks to confusion). To this end, he even built a new capital in the town of Alamagordo, where it is said the Trinity touched the earth. Today, it stands abandoned, scaring off looters with tales of the "bad vibrations" that permeate the area. Only giant gila monsters inhabit it today.

In the modern era, none of the many temple-complexes rain supreme. Each vies for the ear of the President, hoping to get special favors and privileges, all in the hope of further free love, harmony between all beings, and a tidy tithing profit.

Last edited:
    The Englightened Republic of Seattle
  • The Enlightened Republic of Seattle

jBsN1h0ctvzkfGflH7FjpR3RjxwcA2Ic3bXuCNUrC8A.jpg

[Disclaimer: Not mine]

Government: Enlightened Republic
    Head of State: No official head of state. All matters dictated by the Council.
    Head of Government: The Mayor
    Population: 115,000
    Religion: Eco-Buddhism
    Totemic Symbol: Chief Seattle

Seattle is a city marked by an inferiority complex, in spite of the fact that it is one of the "Big 3" and thus one of the most powerful cities in all of Cascadia, alongside Cascadia and Portland. Neither Vancouver nor Seattle has ever had much hope of outcompeting splendid Portland for the top spot, lacking its strategic position at the confluence of the Columbia and the Willamette and it's fertile hinterlands. Brimming with civic pride, Seattle spends most of its time competing with Vancouver to take the silver. Seattle is certainly a great port, but so is Vancouver, and neither is nearly so great as Portland. Seattle has plenty of fertile land to raise a population, but so does Vancouver, and again, Portland has much more. Thus, to set itself apart from the other cities of the Pacific Northwest, Seattle has pursued one specific specialization: manufacturing.

Using timber from the carefully managed forests of the Seattleite hinterlands, Seattle companies manufacture ships. Most of these logs are transported either by river or by land to the edge of Lake Washington, most often to Bellevue, Renton or Kirkland. If the logs are not used in one of these ports, then they are shipped across the lake into Seattle proper where one of the many shipwrights firms will turn them into galleys. Most prominent among these is the Bowing Company, though it is far from the only one. Bowing specifically and Seattleite firms more generally are regarded as making some of the finest shipwrights in all the world. It is worth noting that Seattle is not merely home to ship-building: it produces many fine crafts, such as the fine clockwork mechanisms produced by the Microsoft Company. It is also home to one of the west coast's greatest trade leagues in the form of the Amazon Company.

Seattle sits on an isthmus between the Puget Sound and Lake Washington with the two connected by an ancient canal. The city is spread across seven hills, and at its core is the great market and civic center of Pike Place, thought to be named for the militia's weapon-of-choice. Like most cities in Medieval America, Seattle has atrophied down to its nucleus, with far flung communities like West Seattle, Beacon Point and Fremont becoming their own small city-states, albeit dominated by Seattle. This has had its benefits: by losing most of its land to the north of the Canal and to its south, it is now only approachable by land from the south, making it nearly unassailable.

Seattle is well-known for being amongst the most radically democratic in a region that is known for it's radical commitment to democracy. The City Council of Seattle is far less oligarchic then those of the other city-states, with every single citizen being entitled to a vote. Now of course, in order to be considered a "citizen" you must be a native-born freeman who has served in the militia, meaning that the actual "citizen" population tends to hover around a mere 30 percent of the population.

And yet, despite this relatively reduced suffrage, the council is still an incredibly unwieldy: with tens of thousands of members, it is impossible to have anything resembling order. Rather, debates tend to be dominated by a number of sophists and demagogues. Matters are made worse by the fact that there is no other oversight structure in Seattleite politics: all decisions are made by the mob, from matters as trivial as canal maintenance to matters as important as foreign policy, with even general and admiralships being elected positions. There is an executive committee in the Senate and an executive in the Mayor, but the former is assigned by the allotment, and the latter, though elected by the Council, can only be elected from among the Senate.

Hucksters and demagogues have led Seattle to military and financial ruin many times over. The city is just now recovering from a disastrous attempt at invading the Queen Charlotte Isles, and that came in the wake of the city being conned out of a small fortune to build a bridge that was never built. And now, as the city gears up for an invasion of Vancouver on the advice of silver-tongued monk, it looks like it may happen yet again. The rule of the mob has its downsides, and the Californian philosophers who looks to the city no longer wonder why the old United States fell.

The Order of Cobain
  • The Order of Cobain

The Order of Cobain is one of the greatest religious orders in all of Cascadia. It is from here that the wandering "Rocker Monks" originate. The Order is named for an ancient sage named Cobain, who is said to even antedate Amadi. He was the first American to achieve nirvana, and once he had, he took his own life, leaving behind his music to help others to reach the same state that he had.

The aim of the Order is to help its adherents achieve nirvana through the use of song. A complex musical theory has developed around the songs of Cobain's oeuvre that have survived the ages. The laws governing this theory are Pythagorean in nature, implying an inherent unity and the underlying absolute reality that permeates all things. Beyond this, the songs are used in complex meditation ceremonies, the ebbs and flows of the song governing the breathing and mindset of the disciple.

As is common to Cascadian Buddhism, the tradition of the hermit-druid is well regarded within the Order. It is not merely a question of meditation and tending to nature for the Disciple of Cobain: rather, he hopes to more actively spread the music and enlightenment of Cobain. If one finds themselves in a random tavern in the Cascadian countryside, it would not be unexpected to find a Monk of Cobain jamming. The greatest of these rocker-monks can expect an invitation to the courts of the wealthy and powerful of the region.

Technically speaking, Monks of the Order are to maintain the ancient songs, for only they are known to aid in the achievement of nirvana. Many of the rocker-monks of the order feels that this calcified view of music loses Cobain's point entirely. It is from these renegade priests that we get one of the best regarded cultural traditions of the region-- the "rock opera". These are essentially epic poems, recited by memory with the aid of memorization and a heaping of mnemonic devices and patterns. These tales can be tragedies, melodramas, histories, lewd comedies, and everything in between. Some of the most famous of these are committed to parchment, and can be enjoyed as far away as the courts of Elay.

When they're not rocking out on their lutes, the rocker-monks can be found in their Seattle Headquarters. Here, they will write treatises, organize religious concert-festivals both in Seattle and across the region, and hone their craft. Many monks are employed in the art of Illumination- they copy down ancient sheet music and album covers for the sake of posterity, adding little frills and decorative elements as they go over the years. The Order of Cobain represents one of the most respected cultural traditions of Seattle and the Northwest more generally.

The Mackinaw League
  • tehskyman

Banned
    The Mackinaw League

lakeleague-png.192170

The Flag of the Mackinaw League

In the Industrial era, the Great Lakes were a conduit for trade and goods deep into the heart of North America. Like the Baltic Sea of Old Europe, the Great Lakes are dominated by trading leagues, conglomerates of trading companies and cities who band together for protection and a degree of autonomy from their overlords. Unlike the Hanseatic League, member cities span a wide range of nations and this has lead to rivalries within the leagues that sometimes tear these trading leagues apart. Currently one trading league dominates the Great Lakes but as the tensions between the different cities and their overlords ramp up, it threatens to break the league up again.

When the cities on the Great Lakes are united in a single organization, trade flourishes, free from the threats of rival leagues and pirates. Warships constructed by member cities patrol shipping lanes, keeping bandits at bay and city disputes are settled peacefully. Member cities are allowed a certain degree of autonomy from their overlords. The collective power of the merchant corporations allows them to get concession out of Governors and Presidents. Cities are often allowed to set their own laws, raise their own armies and set their own taxes. Part of the taxes collected by member cities goes towards the league itself in order to maintain the league fleets and outposts. The League's trade outposts are located along the wild Shores of Lake Superior, Lake Huron and Lake Nipigon. In the summer the wild tribes of the northern forest paddle their canoes to these outposts to trade furs for steel and other civilized goods. In the winter skeleton crews maintain the outposts, shivering from the cold and praying for spring. Many traitors and criminals have found themselves exiled here, doomed to shiver and probably die within 2 years.

When the league tears itself apart, the competition becomes brutal. Ships to ship warfare on the lake. Fortresses constructed, raided and burned. Trade shrivels up and dies. In this sense it is very much in the interests of the Presidents and Governors of the Great Lakes to bash the heads of merchants together and keep them united. It is better to exert influence through the politics of the Lake League then have to spend gold and silver against other states. Fortunately rarely do the merchants involve themselves in the squabbles of Kings and vice-versa. The last time inter-merchant war occurred was 150 years ago when the tensions between the then State of Illinois and the Commonwealth of Ohio dragged much of the Feudal Heartland into war. Ships were sunk, cities like Sandusky, Cleveland and Erie raided and burned to the ground. But when the war ended, cooler heads prevailed and the current iteration of the Mackinaw League was formed.

There is no single capital of the Mackinaw League. Instead the general shareholders meeting rotates between Chicago, Detroit and Buffalo every 3 years. Every Spring and Autumn Equinox representatives from the different cities set sail and anchor in the designated city to attend the general shareholders meeting. Here they debate and argue to set the Leagues agenda for the 6 months. Each of these three cities contains a copy of the legal paperwork that binds the cities together. At these meetings representatives from various Presidents and Governors are allowed to observe though they cannot propose changes to the League Charter.

Cities along Lake Ontario do not trade directly with the Mackinaw League. Instead trade must flow through Buffalo, a situation that has added to the city's wealth over the years. It's not as if they have a choice. Ships can hardly sail up the mighty Niagara falls.

Major Cities of the Mackinaw League

• Buffalo
    • Chicago
    • Detroit

Other Selected Cities of the Mackinaw League

• Green Bay
    • Milwaukee
    • Holland
    • St Ignace
    • Soo St Marie
    • Bay City
    • Saginaw
    • Sarnia
    • Toledo
    • Sandusky
    • Cleveland
    • Erie
    • Port Maitland

Last edited:
    The State of Wisconsin
  • tehskyman

Banned
    The State of Wisconsin

WisconsinFlag2.png

System of Government: Feudal State
    Head of State: Governor, chosen through primogeniture
    Population: 1,250,000
    Religion: Non-Denominational
    Totemic Symbol: Badger

On the western shores of Lake Michigan lies the State of Wisconsin. With what was once the State of Illinois to the south and is now Iowa Territory Wisconsin has been heavily influenced by it's relationship to it's much more powerful neighbor. In the past, Wisconsin was a tributary/vassal of the State of Illinois, paying lip service to the President on Rock Island, guarding the north western flank of Illinois and paying an annual tribute in exchange for protection and legal rights. Back then Illinois was much more powerful than the current Iowa Territory. It was nearly as populous as the Commonwealth of Ohio is now, 6 million people. When the cowboys came in, they killed off much of the population and 130 years on, it has only recovered to a half of what it once was. Wisconsin used to be much more like a proper vassal than the nearly independent nation that it is now.

This reflects in some of the titles that the Governor of Wisconsin holds: Marshal of the Northwest, Warden of Minnesota. This relationship carried over when the Baileys and Dabney's took over. Instead of paying "taxes" to the Duponts, they paid tribute to the Dabneys. This tribute was a little higher than the taxes that were paid, but when your neighbor is a genocidal horde, you tend to comply. When the Baileys overthrew the Dabneys and established control over Illinois, Wisconsin's knights played a key role in their success, splitting up the Dabney army and allowing it to be smashed piecemeal. In return Wisconsin's yearly tribute is a fraction of what it once was, and every year it comes closer to regaining independence.

Otherwise, a scene from Wisconsin would resemble one from any one of the other Midwestern nations, corn, rye and barley growing in fields. Villages clustered around a central square . Knights in their castles wearing heavy mail riding great steads and longboats in the lakes and rivers.

Occasionally a fool hardy cowboy will cross the Mississippi and raid Wisconsin. Usually the Governor and his men will ride out to meet them, ambush them in piney forests and massacre them. It has been this way for hundreds of years and will continue like this for hundreds more.

Last edited:
    [Semi-Canon] Isolated Civilizations
  • tehskyman

Banned
    I know we won't get to it for a very long time (if ever in this version maybe mark 4 will get there) but my thoughts keep coming back to South Africa, Australia and New Zealand as fascinating examples in a neo medieval world.

South Africa on the most part would revert to pre-european tribes duking it out but the western cape would probably be home to small nation or two. It would be basically the most isolated civilization on the planet. Thousands of kilometers of tribal wilderness between it and the nearest civilization. It wouldn't revert to a nomadic state b/c 1. theres noone powerful enough to challenge them and 2. The Drakensburgs would shelter them from all but the most devoted army.

Australia is also interesting. You've got the coast which would maintain several maritime city states centered around Adelaide, Melbourne Sydney and Brisbane. You've got the south eastern interior which would maintain a nation. And then you've got a desert 1800km wide in the middle of the continent. And on the south western corner would be Perth. A corner of civilization sandwiched between thousands of kilometers of desert and ocean. All this nothing in an area the size of the lower 48.

And New Zealand. Britain but upside down? Probably not. There'd be significant polynesian influences.

Chile is also in a similar situation but it has neighbors. Argentina/Uruguay/Brazil would be over the andes and across a relatively small plain. Peru is just a 1700 km boat trek along the atacama coast. But the Inca did it so I don't think that Chile would be as isolated. But still. These nations would be so interesting as places without advanced civilization prior to european colonization

All these isolated outposts of civilization. Thousands of Kilometers from anyone else worth taking about. Staring out to sea and sometimes starting at the desert and Savannah inland. It's possible that some of these places would regress to tribalism with a single disaster. New Zealand and the Western Cape would be the most likely to do so but Australia I suspect is just large enough that if one city were to fall to anarchy, the others would fill the gap. I don't think that maybe aside from Viking Greenland and Vinland has a civilization ever been so isolated. But greenland and iceland were icy wastes. These are subtropical forests.