Medieval America Mark III

Eh...the setting loses its character if we let them get too advanced. They can be early Renaissance or about how much ahead Asia was of Medieval Europe, but give them too much and its not medieval anymore. Though this setting having a Black Plague event of ebola or coronavirus followed by a Renaissance would be interesting and I tried something with it before but it didn't go far.

What I wouldn't give for a timeline where steampunk ww1 nations emerge across North America after post apocalyptia! Give me airships, steam tanks, men rushing trench lines with assault rifles, archeological arms races!
Eh...the setting loses its character if we let them get too advanced. They can be early Renaissance or about how much ahead Asia was of Medieval Europe, but give them too much and its not medieval anymore. Though this setting having a Black Plague event of ebola or coronavirus followed by a Renaissance would be interesting and I tried something with it before but it didn't go far.
Honestly Eurasia already had a Medieval period. It would be more interesting if they were a mix of things from across the Renaissance to industrial age.

The new medieval period probably wouldn't be an exact match to the original period. What with surviving texts allowing people to build societies that are an anachronistic jumble of the last few centuries. While building heavy industry is likely far into the future, that doesn't mean that more advanced tech like better plows would just vanish into the ether.

Exactly something like the horse drawn farming machines from the 19th century could definitely be replicated by pre industrial societies. Especially with all of the available samples that you can find out in the countryside or in museums, that people could duplicate or even repair.

It would be more interesting if Eurasia-Africa was more of a mix of everything from 15th to 19th century. While the America's are more of a primitive backwater...

All of this is outside of the scope of the thread - and to be honest, I feel like the overwhelming majority of Americans (myself included) shouldn't do this kind of project for foreign country. Rather than capturing internal nuances and narratives, foreign treatments of a satirical bent are more often then not crude, playing only on the most surface level stereotypes precisely because an outsider is not likely to have a deep understanding of the nuances and details of that culture. The prime example of this phenomenon I would point to is J.K. Rowling's attempt at expanding who Wizarding World (which was a very competent and well-done piece of pastiche world building) to America, the result of which was cringeworthy in its dull stereotyping.

All of this is outside of the scope of the thread - and to be honest, I feel like the overwhelming majority of Americans (myself included) shouldn't do this kind of project for foreign country. Rather than capturing internal nuances and narratives, foreign treatments of a satirical bent are more often then not crude, playing only on the most surface level stereotypes precisely because an outsider is not likely to have a deep understanding of the nuances and details of that culture. The prime example of this phenomenon I would point to is J.K. Rowling's attempt at expanding who Wizarding World (which was a very competent and well-done piece of pastiche world building) to America, the result of which was cringeworthy in its dull stereotyping.
By that logic anyone that's not American shouldn't be postulating on this thread since they'd be subject to the same problems. I do agree it's not that the thread was for, and I do apologize for having a hand in that, I was mostly wondering what was preventing the rest of the world from invading America in this setting, since if they never fell technologically, well, quite frankly there would be no reason for them to not carve up North America for themselves, so I was just wanting to know what was stopping that. But I whole hardheartedly disagree that an American shouldn't speculate/write this kind of scenario due to somehow "not knowing" the nuances of the other country. By that reasoning I dare say that you're suggesting that one should stick to one's own country for speculative fiction, for fear we get something wrong. That's not going to cause peoples knowledge of each other to grow, or for people to better connect, but rather to divide and an increase in ignorance.

By that logic anyone that's not American shouldn't be postulating on this thread since they'd be subject to the same problems. I do agree it's not that the thread was for, and I do apologize for having a hand in that, I was mostly wondering what was preventing the rest of the world from invading America in this setting, since if they never fell technologically, well, quite frankly there would be no reason for them to not carve up North America for themselves, so I was just wanting to know what was stopping that. But I whole hardheartedly disagree that an American shouldn't speculate/write this kind of scenario due to somehow "not knowing" the nuances of the other country. By that reasoning I dare say that you're suggesting that one should stick to one's own country for speculative fiction, for fear we get something wrong. That's not going to cause peoples knowledge of each other to grow, or for people to better connect, but rather to divide and an increase in ignorance.
I'd say its a little different in the case of America since, as the world hegemon, foreigners can have a fairly sophisticated grasp of America's nuances with some degree of regularity. But, as my J.K. Rowling example demonstrates, they can often mess up horrendously, and I think the risk is doubled in a project like Medieval America where much of the thought process is (or at least ought be - we have perhaps not lived up to this aspect of the project in the East) satirical.

Ok now it just sounds like you're saying us dumb americans don't know jack about others. To me at least. Personaly I vehemently believe it is better to learn and try then stagnate and not try, to not learn and grow. By having input by different people from different areas, we change, we grow, we come to an understanding, we learn where not so different after all, and most of all, we have fun.

Ok now it just sounds like you're saying us dumb americans don't know jack about others. To me at least. Personaly I vehemently believe it is better to learn and try then stagnate and not try, to not learn and grow. By having input by different people from different areas, we change, we grow, we come to an understanding, we learn where not so different after all, and most of all, we have fun.
I'm not sure how much "Medieval America Mark III" will push along the commonwealth of all mankind

Personally I think we should first finish of America and then move down Latin America until the tip of the Patagonia. After that, there is no reason whatsoever we can't look at the Old World.

I'm not sure how much "Medieval America Mark III" will push along the commonwealth of all mankind
It would help people learn things. But more than that it's the principal of it. I could be wrong but basically I'm getting that you're saying "if you're not from x country, don't say anything about it."

One interesting difference between America in the original Medieval period I could see is the existence of aerial warfare. With hot air balloons being used both for scouting and bombing in the form of crude incendiary bombs (basic barrel versions of molotov's with Greek fire). Leaders to castles being more bunker esque.

Some ideas for South America:

Neo Incan Empire. Christianity optional.

British Falklanders expanded into parts of Tierra Del Fuego and the Southern Cone and in conflict with gauchos.

Kings called caudillos or genaralissimos.

Some ideas for South America:

Neo Incan Empire. Christianity optional.

British Falklanders expanded into parts of Tierra Del Fuego and the Southern Cone and in conflict with gauchos.

Kings called caudillos or genaralissimos.

Any chance we might see a greater prominence of Rattan armor in South America?

yVt9uQW.jpg

Here's another idea:

In real life, the Papacy has a plan to evacuate to Rio De Janeiro in Brazil in an apocalyptic event. So, they did so in the early phase of the Regression when planes still were around. But some were left behind in Rome. Brazil becomes several different nations based on provinces in the neo Medieval period, and the Rio Papacy mediates between them and manipulates them as in previous medieval eras. Eventually, enough sporadic contact means there's knowledge of the Rome Papacy still being around and each declares the other an Antipope for a while, until an agreement is made to make Rio a Vice-Papacy for the Americas. Then the Rio Vice Papacy tries to unite the Brazilian nations in a Crusade against the pagan Second Incan Empire in the Andes, but they repel most of the Crusades since they have the same horses and weapons and disease immunities now.

American crossbows
Here's another idea:

In real life, the Papacy has a plan to evacuate to Rio De Janeiro in Brazil in an apocalyptic event. So, they did so in the early phase of the Regression when planes still were around. But some were left behind in Rome. Brazil becomes several different nations based on provinces in the neo Medieval period, and the Rio Papacy mediates between them and manipulates them as in previous medieval eras. Eventually, enough sporadic contact means there's knowledge of the Rome Papacy still being around and each declares the other an Antipope for a while, until an agreement is made to make Rio a Vice-Papacy for the Americas. Then the Rio Vice Papacy tries to unite the Brazilian nations in a Crusade against the pagan Second Incan Empire in the Andes, but they repel most of the Crusades since they have the same horses and weapons and disease immunities now.
I actually imagine Brazil being a parallel to Imperial China or pre Islamic Persia. Being the most powerful empire in the western hemisphere, with a number of vassal states, large efficient bureaucracy and constantly dealing with barbarian raids from within the Amazon.

American crossbows

I actually imagine Brazil being a parallel to Imperial China or pre Islamic Persia. Being the most powerful empire in the western hemisphere, with a number of vassal states, large efficient bureaucracy and constantly dealing with barbarian raids from within the Amazon.
I remember Brazil being a maritime empire similar to the United States actually. Plus as per Matthew White's own theories on feudal forest regions, it's seems like he would have made Brazil a divided region like India or eastern America.