Medieval America Mark III

Ok seems kinda strange it would do that but thank you for letting me know. I assume that the rest of the world outside North America is in a similar state? I haven't looked in depth at everything yet but didn't see that really mentioned aside from someone asking about the suez canal.
Official canon (As per White himself) is that the rest of the world has returned to how things used to be. All we know is that European Protestantism seems to have been overtaken by Catholicism, England and Japan have become absolutist monarchies and Muslim traders travel on a new silk road.

Official canon (As per White himself) is that the rest of the world has returned to how things used to be. All we know is that European Protestantism seems to have been overtaken by Catholicism, England and Japan have become absolutist monarchies and Muslim traders travel on a new silk road.
Honestly, I wish that the rest of the world could have less-than plausible elements like Scientologist California. It just seems less fun to have the rest of the world simply get reverted to an earlier state instead of having interesting twists on what survived over the years. Like the main Russian state being unable to differentiate the Czars from the Soviet leaders and thinking that Joseph Stalin was Czar Josef I.

Honestly, I wish that the rest of the world could have less-than plausible elements like Scientologist California. It just seems less fun to have the rest of the world simply get reverted to an earlier state instead of having interesting twists on what survived over the years. Like the main Russian state being unable to differentiate the Czars from the Soviet leaders and thinking that Joseph Stalin was Czar Josef I.
In fairness, that doesn't have to contradict White's canon. America on the whole definitely does most everything you expect of a "America, but MEDIEVAL!" scenario in the vital overall picture and broad strokes. It doesn't have to change Russia would simply begin making Soviet premiers and Federation presidents into czars overall in this case, and who's to say they aren't also nuclear-worshipping or fearing in terms of power or whatever.

I think Russia would be too large to maintain as a single state with medieval tech. You'd get Muscovy and Kiev as rivals, and Sibir as more an Asian state as it used to be, with Russian gulag descendents, and Armenia and Azerbaijan in an eternal feud and Georgia as independent local powers. Kiev would not remember Stalin as fondly.

I think Europe would be technically a Holy European Union backed by the Catholic Church with electors meeting in Brussels to select Comissioner-Emperors, but in practice neither Holy, Nor European Nor an Empire. There would be many kingdoms and principalities functionally independent and often at war. Britain would still be Brexited as a local absolutist kingdom. There would be large Muslim communities descended from modern immigrants.

I think Okinawa would become an independent kingdom and there would be many American descended people there. Also, Southern Korea would have a lot of American descendents from soldiers stranded there when civilization collapsed.

I don't think England or Japan are meant to be absolute monarchies, simply that they are no longer, strictly speaking, democracies, and White used them as an examples because they're two very well known nations with extant royal families.

Ah ok, I see, misunderstood at first, but I see now that the rest fell as well.

I had this weird idea where a punch of Western European realms formed an alliance in response to the expansionist Second Russian Empire or ‘the Empire of the Red Star’. Also I imagined that what with whats been going on in Turkey recently I imagined a sort of successor of the Ottoman Empire butting heads with the new Russian empire (or confederation) and a new Persian empire tho you can question how realistic that would be.

If we are talking world outside of North America a fun idea might be Muslim Turkish majority merchant republic led from Istanbul ruling the Straits/Sea of Marmara might be cool.

I think Russia would be too large to maintain as a single state with medieval tech. You'd get Muscovy and Kiev as rivals, and Sibir as more an Asian state as it used to be, with Russian gulag descendents, and Armenia and Azerbaijan in an eternal feud and Georgia as independent local powers. Kiev would not remember Stalin as fondly.

I think Europe would be technically a Holy European Union backed by the Catholic Church with electors meeting in Brussels to select Comissioner-Emperors, but in practice neither Holy, Nor European Nor an Empire. There would be many kingdoms and principalities functionally independent and often at war. Britain would still be Brexited as a local absolutist kingdom. There would be large Muslim communities descended from modern immigrants.

I think Okinawa would become an independent kingdom and there would be many American descended people there. Also, Southern Korea would have a lot of American descendents from soldiers stranded there when civilization collapsed.
  1. I didn't say that the "main Russian State" would have all of Russia. I meant that it was rather large. Of course, Russia and the surrounding countries would be balkanized. But the "Empire of the Red Star", as @Kyranlee suggested, would be one of the bigger players in the post-Russia world.
  2. I like the idea of the "Holy European Union"'s control mainly being focused in the area stretching from northern France to the Netherlands. With control outside of that area loosening to the point where most Europeans only pay lip service to Brussels.
  3. Italy in particular has the potential for interesting states. I'm torn between Rome having a neo-Roman state and a new Papal State. And I think that Venice would pop up again and that Sicily would be under the control of the resurgent Mafia.
  4. A breakaway Islamic state somewhere in Europe could be interesting.
  5. I like the idea of the Okinawa Kingdom having a "President" who serves more as a Prime Minister. Though the process wouldn't be nearly as democratic as modern elections. Likely the elections are merely a formality.
  6. If anyone's not having a fun time in this new medieval era it's North Korea. There's no way the highly malnourished nation would continue to exist in the absence of Chinese aid.

1. I didn't say that the "main Russian State" would have all of Russia. I meant that it was rather large. Of course, Russia and the surrounding countries would be balkanized. But the "Empire of the Red Star", as @Kyranlee suggested, would be one of the bigger players in the post-Russia world.
  2. I like the idea of the "Holy European Union"'s control mainly being focused in the area stretching from northern France to the Netherlands. With control outside of that area loosening to the point where most Europeans only pay lip service to Brussels.
  3. Italy in particular has the potential for interesting states. I'm torn between Rome having a neo-Roman state and a new Papal State. And I think that Venice would pop up again and that Sicily would be under the control of the resurgent Mafia.
  4. A breakaway Islamic state somewhere in Europe could be interesting.
  5. I like the idea of the Okinawa Kingdom having a "President" who serves more as a Prime Minister. Though the process wouldn't be nearly as democratic as modern elections. Likely the elections are merely a formality.
  6. If anyone's not having a fun time in this new medieval era it's North Korea. There's no way the highly malnourished nation would continue to exist in the absence of Chinese aid.
I'm sure it would have collapsed way back when, and is now either part of another Korean state or China. If there is a European Islamic state, perhaps Malta and the surrounding islands.

Also I apologise for getting this off topic. Maybe another thread should be made for the rest of the world?

Last edited:
I pictured Korea as long since reunited, religiously converted to a weird local form of Christianity derived from the Unification Church, with Kim Il Sung as a prophet to reconcile resentful North Koreans in the past, that's a Chinese vassal that Japan tries to intimidate sometimes, and southern Korea has alot of sort of American looking people and English loan words in the dialect.

I figure when the Regression hit, both governments on either side of the DMZ fell apart and the Unification Church/Moonies gave out food and set up hospitals and took charge and mass married the surviving North and South Koreans to reunify the country.

Another idea I had was in the Regression Dark ages, Britain and the area that became the Holy European Union experienced neo Viking raids, but from Greenland and Iceland, not Scandinavia.

Another idea I had was in the Regression Dark ages, Britain and the area that became the Holy European Union experienced neo Viking raids, but from Greenland and Iceland, not Scandinavia.
I remember there being a map of Europe that White produced but it was limited to the circle system that he used to make the North America map. In it, England seems to be a united kingdom with perhaps a north-south divide. Maybe it would be a more decentralized version of England than historically.

I remember there being a map of Europe that White produced but it was limited to the circle system that he used to make the North America map. In it, England seems to be a united kingdom with perhaps a north-south divide. Maybe it would be a more decentralized version of England than historically.
I had thought that model being used to show OTL medieval Europe pre-centralization/nationalism and using it to see local medieval power centers in America, myself.

I have began writing a novel set in a medieval-esque America and since I am a good fan of Matthew White's world, I would like to set in the world of Atlas of Medieval America, however, I am not aware of any possible legal issues be it copyright or what not. For example, is the original work itself copyrighted?

I pictured Korea as long since reunited, religiously converted to a weird local form of Christianity derived from the Unification Church, with Kim Il Sung as a prophet to reconcile resentful North Koreans in the past, that's a Chinese vassal that Japan tries to intimidate sometimes, and southern Korea has alot of sort of American looking people and English loan words in the dialect.
I'd imagine that American soldiers and their descendants would have set themselves up as the local martial class in Korea.

With the name being a localized take on the slang term "GI".
Something similar probably happened with US personnel in Japan when the regressions happened. Only instead of becoming a wholly new martial class like in Korea the American troops in Japan integrated themselves with the returning Samurai class.

Is it weird that I can see Asia being more technologically advanced than the Americas?