Medieval America Mark III

For the Pacific Northwest, I had the idea that maybe some of their cultural figures became Buddhist bodisattvas or demons. Like DB Cooper is a Monkey King/Robin Hood figure who gets mixed up with Agent Cooper from Twin Peaks. Ted Bundy and Robert Pickton become demons like Tibetan Buddhist demonology.

And here's a question...without modern fire control technology, how does the California Republic, Free Zone and the PNW Buddhists deal with wildfires?

And here's a question...without modern fire control technology, how does the California Republic, Free Zone and the PNW Buddhists deal with wildfires?
I imagine wildfires might not be as much of an issue. If you compare photos of a forest from the start of the 20th century to today, a lot of forests in the us have way more trees than they did back then, something which I imagine might contribute to the increase in wildfires. Assuming post regression/"whatever cause society to lose so much" forest fires were not properly fought, its reasonable to assume many forests aren't as densely packed as they are today.

Very interesting question - presumably, these were a really fucking big problem for the first few centuries after the Regression in the "New Dark Ages" and probably had a lot to do with the Warring Period and the rise of Scientology. But by the modern day, since Californian aqueducts are probably not as extensive as they are today in the 30th century, things are probably not as bad, not as dry.

Maybe they have organized fire departments but with basic technology, like firelines and bucket brigades. Maybe some nobles have private fire brigades they use to extort peasants. George Lucas has his own private department in Marin County this day in age and he's like a Californian nobleman.

For the Pacific Northwest, I had the idea that maybe some of their cultural figures became Buddhist bodisattvas or demons. Like DB Cooper is a Monkey King/Robin Hood figure who gets mixed up with Agent Cooper from Twin Peaks. Ted Bundy and Robert Pickton become demons like Tibetan Buddhist demonology.
How about a certain Bill Cipher...

Yeah, works. If I'm throwing Twin Peaks into Buddhist-PNW syncretism, Gravity Falls too. But he should look scarier in the local art.
Since Bill’s design is based on the All-Seeing Pyramid/Eye of Providence I can see him getting mixed up with pre-war Illuminati conspiracy theories. Like he was manipulating things behind the scenes.

That's enough. We don't want to go too far into cartoons and degrade the concept.
Plus the more niche an cartoon is the more likely that it’s going to be forgotten. Classic shows would likely survive since they’ve already survived a couple of decades. Especially merchandise-driven shows like Transformers or My Little Pony because of all the artifacts left behind.

Last edited:
I had some ideas about Australia I'm just going to throw out. I was thinking about how to do it without too much Mad Max influence. I was thinking of a slaving culture that justifies it as resurrecting the convict labor system of colonial Australia. So there are plantations of laborers who are "convicts" from conquered regions and they can be "pardoned" manumitted but rarely are for economic power reasons. Also a mixed New Zealand Maori-coastal Australian seal culling based sea raider grouping, sort of like a mix of wako pirates that is in conflict with the neo-British convict slavery culture based around Adelaide and Canberra and Botany Bay.

Northern Coastal Australia is a mix of Moluccas and other Indonesian groups resurrecting the trepang trade and aboriginals in a patchwork with rival Anglo-Australian fiefdoms, like the medieval Mediterranean sort of.

tehskyman

Banned
The big problem with modern Californian wildfires is that because of the Californian housing crisis, people live in the woodlands. These woodlands traditionally go ablaze every year but it wasn't a problem. The trees are fire-resistant. The issue arises now because there are houses among the woodlands and years of fire supression mean that the undergrowth (which would've been burned away every year) has built up and causes larger fires.

And now I'm wondering about hurricanes and the complex Caribbean situation. Maybe they have evacuation systems?
People grow crops from March-June and hunker down in brick/stone homes, move to high ground to avoid storm surges and river flooding. Typhoons weren't a massive problem for China, Japan and Korea in the pre-industrial era.

What is Kasimarana from the Santanoo play? I can't find anything online about it.
A rough approximation of a Tamil phrase referring to the idea, popular throughout India, that dying in Varanasi (or Kashi) guarantees salvation. He's basically saying dying at sea is a pretty great way to go, and so it doesn't scare him.
when does the duel in the first turn of nirvana happen?
I figure any time within the early Buddhist era is good, I didn't want to pin it down too precisely.

A rough approximation of a Tamil phrase referring to the idea, popular throughout India, that dying in Varanasi (or Kashi) guarantees salvation. He's basically saying dying at sea is a pretty great way to go, and so it doesn't scare him.

I figure any time within the early Buddhist era is good, I didn't want to pin it down too precisely.

Thanks. I suppose then that would be the 2400s in my headcanon.

I had some ideas about Australia I'm just going to throw out. I was thinking about how to do it without too much Mad Max influence. I was thinking of a slaving culture that justifies it as resurrecting the convict labor system of colonial Australia. So there are plantations of laborers who are "convicts" from conquered regions and they can be "pardoned" manumitted but rarely are for economic power reasons. Also a mixed New Zealand Maori-coastal Australian seal culling based sea raider grouping, sort of like a mix of wako pirates that is in conflict with the neo-British convict slavery culture based around Adelaide and Canberra and Botany Bay.

Northern Coastal Australia is a mix of Moluccas and other Indonesian groups resurrecting the trepang trade and aboriginals in a patchwork with rival Anglo-Australian fiefdoms, like the medieval Mediterranean sort of.
Is it weird that I'm picturing Australia and Asia still having black powder?

Do people live in pueblos and pueblitos in the Southwest ? Newer versions as well as rennovated ruins ?
Yep, this is the main appearance of settlements in Arizona and Dinetah. Many of the old ones are revered as holy sites and home to powerful temple complexes.