Medieval America Mark III

I've been thinking lately about how monuments might be viewed in Medieval America. Imagine Mount Rushmore as a legendary cliff face where the souls of the greatest US Presidents now reside, sleeping until a scholar, cleric, or traveller visits them in search of knowledge (similar to the old King in the mountain folk stories)
White states that the New Israelites believe Mt. Rushmore is where Earth meets Heaven. It is home to monasteries and is definetely the spiritual centre of the Cowboys.

State of North Carolina

tehskyman

Banned
State of North Carolina

NorthCarolinaFlagSmall.png

System of Government: Feudal Monarchy
Head of state: Governor, chosen son or nephew of the previous governor
Population: 1,770,000
Religion: Nondenominational Christianity
Totemic Symbol: Pitch Pine

Unlike it's weak neighbor to the south, North Carolina is a proud state and will not bow to outside influence. This has naturally lent itself to a great deal of conflict with Georgia and it's vassal South Carolina. Ever since the Southern branch of the Hobbs family were ousted from the Palmetto throne, the Governors of North Carolina have sought to press their claims and restore the Jasmine-Dogwood crown, a united crown of both Carolinas.

Their ambition stems from the death of Felix Hobbs, who died without heir. A minor succession crisis ensued with skirmishes between Georgian and Carolinian Knights but ultimately Virgil Hobb's son Donovan won over and ruled over both Carolinas. However, when Donovan died in 2536 and his second son James rose to the throne, Georgia sought to cleave the combined State of Carolina in half and pressed for the Southern half of the state to go to Donovan's exiled elder son Virgil II. The conflict which ensued, known as the Palmetto War, ended in 2539 with a Georgian victory. However, the Georgians overextended themselves and a mercenary captain was able to ascend to the Georgian governorship.

Since then, the Governors of North Carolina have pressed to reclaim what they see as their rightful demesne. This is especially pronounced as Donovan ruled from a palace in Charlotte. This palace ,the heirlooms contained within and the rest of South Carolina was lost when the state passed to the Isleys.

The situation with the USA and Virginia is similar though the reasons for conflict are different. The USA is a continual threat to the independence of North Carolina, through their mission to reassemble the Union. Pennsylvania and Virginia have already fallen to Baltimore, currently ruled by Vicegovs, appointed by the President in Baltimore with the power invested in him through emergency law. Gullahs raid eastern North Carolina, emerging from the swamps to steal crops and harvest pitch pines. The border with Virginia is also fortified, with various castles and hold-fasts having been constructed to repeal Virginian raiders.

The tobacco from North Carolina is known as some of the best tobacco in the country. Governors of North Carolina use their tobacco to appease their vassals, when vassals visit the governor, he will smoke with them, showing off his generosity and patronage. This practice extends throughout the nobility and wealthier peasants will also do this. This is traditionally done in a special smoking cabin where host and guests sit around a round table and cigars are passed around. This practice has begun to trickle down to the peasantry, though for them whole tobacco leaves are burnt directly, and in much smaller quantities than nobles will use.

American naval ships are unwelcome, traders are fine and North Carolinian tobacco can be found along the Atlantic seaboard from Nova Scotia to Savannah.

Last edited:
I like what you have done with North Carolina. I especially like the idea of the Governor smoking with his vassals. It's a simple idea but one that adds flavour to the region's culture. Perhaps this has seeped into the rest of North Carolinian society and it is common courtesy for a host to smoke with his guests in a circle as a social event. I've got images of social shisha smoking amongst Islamic civilizations.

I am intrigued by the existence of a Vicegovernor in Virginia and the USA's aggressive foreign policy. Virginia is next but the USA is definitely looking to be a very interest nation.

However, I must note there is a notable lack of mentioning the Hillbillies in regards to Eastboard Politics. I wouldn't be surprised if the Appalachians commonly serve as mercenaries in the wars of the Eastern seaboard.

State of Virginia

tehskyman

Banned
State of Virginia

6qwohhnkxyyy.png

Taken from here

System of Government: Directly Appointed Federal-State (Feudal Viceroyalty)
Head of state: Vice-Governor, appointed by President of USA
Population: 650,000
Religion: Nondenominational Christianity
Totemic Symbol: None

In the early days of the Great Emergency, Washington DC was exposed. Federal Authority had degraded to such a point where states openly warred against the federal government. The states surrounded DC each conspired to take the city and seize the church and old seat of federal power for themselves. Virginia was one of these states. However, when President George Washington II took power and drafted the Articles of Emergency, the anarchy around DC ended.

One of the first victims of the new Federal Government was the State of Virginia. Continual pressure from Federal Mercenaries and a blockade by the Navy brought the local warlord down. A federal army crossed the Potomac at the break of spring and made great haste to reach Richmond within 2 months. Rather than living off the land, this besieging force was supplied by the Navy, which was simultaneously blockading the Virginian coast. After 3 months of siege, then Virginian Governor George Dinwiddie tried to escape across the James River but was killed in his attempt by an arrow to his back. The remainder of his family was not spared. His sons were exiled to Newfoundland and his daughters given to the church.

Since then, the State of Virginia has been a vassal of the USA, the first line of defense and front line in the long-term federal project of reforging the union. Several ambitious vice-governors have attempted to declare themselves independent but usually insurrections are swiftly put down by armies from DC. These armies are composed of professional soldiers hardened by the constant skirmishes against DC's many enemies. Many of these soldiers are Hillbilly pikemen from the Pennsylvanian Appalachians who travel to DC to earn a wage. Others are Gullah, who have chosen to serve on land rather than on the ships of the Navy.

Not all vice-governors are content on taking orders from Baltimore but some are more successful than others in their bid for sovereignty. In times when the various merchant houses of Baltimore squabble with each other an ambitious vice-governor might take power and declare himself independent. This is generally supported by the various enemies of the USA who always like to see the US taken down a peg or so. The longest lasting period of Virginian independence happened in from 2612-2725 when General Adam Greencastle was also made Vice-Governor of Virginia. This was a grave mistake. After only 2 years, he declared himself independent and took much of the army with him. He was supported by the local nobility who had been denied representation in the House and could not become presidential electors. Greencastle won several battles and Baltimore eventually sued for peace. This peace would last until Greencastle's death in 2654. Afterwards, the USA and Virginia would continue to struggle with Virginian knights reaching the Potomac several times but never being able to cross it.

It was not until the presidency of President Grover Cleveland II in 2723 that an opportunity for the USA to reclaim Virginia emerged. Capturing Shenandoah County, a 3rd path into Virginia opened up. With his son and nephew, they led a 3-pronged campaign against Greencastle's great-grandson Peter. His son marching down the Shenandoah Valley, himself straight towards Richmond and his nephew leading a blockade, President Cleveland trapped the Virginian army at Gordonsville and inflicted a decisive defeat. The defeat then allowed the American army to capture Richmond and eventually the whole state.

Since that time, the sovereignty and symbols of Virginian independence have been eroded. No longer are military men allowed to become Governors. The original Virginian flag has been erased, replaced with the Coat of Arms of Thomas Jefferson. A similar process has also occurred to Delaware and Pennsylvania where the symbols of the Patriot-Saints have replaced the local state symbols. Maryland is the lone exception because the President in Baltimore simultaneously holds the title of Governor of Maryland. Furthermore, in states under direct federal control, Vice-Governors have no jurisdiction to appoint representatives to the Senate. Rather, these representatives are appointed by the President, generally with the approval of the Supreme Court. To prevent future insurrections, land owners in Federal States are able to send representatives to the House and join the Electoral College, having the same rights as any other land owner under Federal Jurisdiction.

Last edited:
State of Virginia

Another update in such a short period of time! I like the inclusion of Hillbillies though I must say that the United States having control over Virginia for about 800 years is a bit too much and frankly boring. I'd prefer if after George Washington II died, Virginia broke free so the centuries have just seen the US and Virginia fight time and time again and 3000 simply sees the USA as the temporary winner until Virginia gains independence again.

tehskyman

Banned
Another update in such a short period of time! I like the inclusion of Hillbillies though I must say that the United States having control over Virginia for about 800 years is a bit too much and frankly boring. I'd prefer if after George Washington II died, Virginia broke free so the centuries have just seen the US and Virginia fight time and time again and 3000 simply sees the USA as the temporary winner until Virginia gains independence again.

Point taken, edited

tehskyman

Banned
I wonder if presidents of the New USA would also take on the names of Founding Fathers and other patriot saints from American History, not just the names of previous presidents

I.e. President Douglas MacArthur, President Benjamin Franklin, President John Hancock, President William Sherman etc.

I wonder if presidents of the New USA would also take on the names of Founding Fathers and other patriot saints from American History, not just the names of previous presidents

I.e. President Douglas MacArthur, President Benjamin Franklin, President John Hancock, President William Sherman etc.
There is no reason why they cannot, I find it perfectly reasonable.

Small nomenclature quibble: It should be "Grover Cleveland II", not Grover II Cleveland. CLeveland isn't a dynastic name, it's effectively one compounded name

Small nomenclature quibble: It should be "Grover Cleveland II", not Grover II Cleveland. CLeveland isn't a dynastic name, it's effectively one compounded name
Yes, I agree. That raises a question though, what do we do with the John Adams and George W. Bushes? Would Senior be George Bush I and his son George Bush II or perhaps they are known as George W Bush I and George W Bush II.

tehskyman

Banned
Yes, I agree. That raises a question though, what do we do with the John Adams and George W. Bushes? Would Senior be George Bush I and his son George Bush II or perhaps they are known as George W Bush I and George W Bush II.

George Bush the Elder and George Bush the Younger. Any subsequent president George Bushes start the numberig at 3 and not 2

I think the two Bushes should definitely be called "George Bush I" and "George Bush II" in a bit of bad historiography. It pokes fun at the dynastic element of II, and I think it's certianly what WHite would've wanted considering his very vocal criticism of Bush around the time of the publication of Medieval America.

Not sure what to do with the Adamses, but I would lean towards "John Adams I" and "John Quincey Adams I", or maybe even "Quincey Adams I." This is in recognition of the fact that he is never addressed without the middle name in my experience.

I think the two Bushes should definitely be called "George Bush I" and "George Bush II" in a bit of bad historiography. It pokes fun at the dynastic element of II, and I think it's certianly what WHite would've wanted considering his very vocal criticism of Bush around the time of the publication of Medieval America.

Not sure what to do with the Adamses, but I would lean towards "John Adams I" and "John Quincey Adams I", or maybe even "Quincey Adams I." This is in recognition of the fact that he is never addressed without the middle name in my experience.
Fair enough, we should go with that then.

My two cents about Latin America.

I think Mexico is pretty much mainline Catholic, though obviously with its syncretic elements. The maps show even the spread out deserts are mainly Catholic, which makes me think a lot of villages similar to the Spanish missions of the Colonial era. In general, I can see Mexico to area that was New Granada and New Castile being fairly similar to life in the 1500s, just with a bounced-back population.

White infers the Secretarial States of America on the mainland are the tip of the iceberg, so I think pretty much the entire Caribbean Archipelago are Secretarial and Voodoo, even Cuba (Relatively irreligious as far as Latin America goes, making it ripe for new or esoteric religions in White's world.)

The big maritime culture would probably be found in Chile, which has a very convoluted coast, possesses a climate and topography found in a lot of the ancient maritime powers, and is at the crossroads of the Atlantic to the Pacific. That's probably where you want to put your Venice or Genoa or Medieval USA equivalents.

The Pampas are smaller than the Great Plains and the Eurasian Steppe, and closer to the open sea, so I don't think the Gauchos make quite as much trouble as their Northern Hemisphere counterparts. They might even be pretty chill, as far as these things go.

I agree about Northern/Central Brazil pretty much getting swallowed by the jungles with pre-Colombian tribes dominating. The South is a lot of fun--I think it would be more inland than not (Like China and India), but that you have something like a low eight figure population, with very diverse backgrounds, in the Southern Hemisphere (where summer is winter and winter is summer), fairly cut off from everyone else. This is probably where you can invent crazy new religions and lifestyles, maybe Lorenzo the Redeemer disciples, in a shoutout to White's other surreal histories.

I think Mexico is pretty much mainline Catholic, though obviously with its syncretic elements. The maps show even the spread out deserts are mainly Catholic, which makes me think a lot of villages similar to the Spanish missions of the Colonial era. In general, I can see Mexico to area that was New Granada and New Castile being fairly similar to life in the 1500s, just with a bounced-back population.

White infers the Secretarial States of America on the mainland are the tip of the iceberg, so I think pretty much the entire Caribbean Archipelago are Secretarial and Voodoo, even Cuba (Relatively irreligious as far as Latin America goes, making it ripe for new or esoteric religions in White's world.)

The big maritime culture would probably be found in Chile, which has a very convoluted coast, possesses a climate and topography found in a lot of the ancient maritime powers, and is at the crossroads of the Atlantic to the Pacific. That's probably where you want to put your Venice or Genoa or Medieval USA equivalents.

The Pampas are smaller than the Great Plains and the Eurasian Steppe, and closer to the open sea, so I don't think the Gauchos make quite as much trouble as their Northern Hemisphere counterparts. They might even be pretty chill, as far as these things go.

I agree about Northern/Central Brazil pretty much getting swallowed by the jungles with pre-Colombian tribes dominating. The South is a lot of fun--I think it would be more inland than not (Like China and India), but that you have something like a low eight figure population, with very diverse backgrounds, in the Southern Hemisphere (where summer is winter and winter is summer), fairly cut off from everyone else. This is probably where you can invent crazy new religions and lifestyles, maybe Lorenzo the Redeemer disciples, in a shoutout to White's other surreal histories.

Monastery-states in the desert would be an interesting development. Nations run by the monks centered on a monastery with governments somewhat similar to the hydraulic empires.

I agree with you on the Caribbean and a Chilean merchant empire/republic would be very interesting. Their relationship with the Andeans/Peruvians would be very interesting.

The Pampas Gaucho could be relaxed, what about the Brazilian Gauchos. Perhaps the Brazilian Gauchos are more aggressive and over the centuries have replaced the Pampas Gauchos resulting in Portuguese speakers to wrap around La Plata into the Pampas/Patagonia.

We most definitely need to include Lorenzo the Redeemer. He is a very interesting figure and a religion with meat added to it would be fun to see.

Also, would you be okay with posting your blog updates here too?

tehskyman

Banned

I don't think so, because in a world far from the church in Rome and where the local president is a hydraulic emperor, he can easily manipulate the religion into something wacky to suit his own needs. I also think that the emphasis of saints in Catholicism lends itself to becoming a polytheistic religion.

Its also cooler for the President of Mexico to be dedicating human sacrifices to Yahweh, King of the Gods.

Yes Chile has a convoluted coast, however the convoluted coast is in the south of the country, where it is generally too cold for agriculture. The part of the country suitable for agriculture has a very smooth coast. It would be similar to if the PNW and Californian Central Valley were connected.

Last edited: