Medieval America Mark III

So, the intro of Medieval America stated that the United States was once ruled by a George Bush VII. I eventually began to wonder if political dynasties such as the Kennedies, the Tafts, and the Rockefellers would end up becoming very infuential houses in the American senate. Besides, the rump United States does need some fleshing out in this thread.

North and South Carolina. State of Virginia. Rump USA is mostly covered. State of New Jersey. Maybe the State of Massachusetts.

Gotta do the Canadian Maritimes. I might write a section on Trans-Atlantic contact, however rare that may be.
I actually think Trans-Atlantic contact would be common since on the East Coast is a large mercantile state and shipbuilding technology would probably be much more advanced than OTL medieval era's. If the vikings could do it, America definetly could. Why else would they have such a powerful grip on the Maritimes? I'd say is to control the trade coming and out to Europe via the Arctic whilst Louisiania tries to dominate a southern route via the Azores and Canaries to the Mediterranean.

So, the intro of Medieval America stated that the United States was once ruled by a George Bush VII. I eventually began to wonder if political dynasties such as the Kennedies, the Tafts, and the Rockefellers would end up becoming very infuential houses in the American senate. Besides, the rump United States does need some fleshing out in this thread.
White's Medieval America begins in 1996 whilst ours begins in 2018?. Assuming that we should look at the influential families of these time periods. I'm not sure if the Kennedies are still prominent in modern US politics and I know for sure the Tafts don't seem to be. The Rockefellers and Clintons could, however, become very prominent (though I don't think Bill Clinton has a son so dynastic continuity fails there). Trump on the other hand has enough sons to establish a dynasty. Obama won't be able to establish a dynasty.

White's Medieval America begins in 1996 whilst ours begins in 2018?. Assuming that we should look at the influential families of these time periods. I'm not sure if the Kennedies are still prominent in modern US politics and I know for sure the Tafts don't seem to be. The Rockefellers and Clintons could, however, become very prominent (though I don't think Bill Clinton has a son so dynastic continuity fails there). Trump on the other hand has enough sons to establish a dynasty. Obama won't be able to establish a dynasty.

And since there are already three generations of Trump men with the name "Donald Trump" it's not inconceivable to have a "Donald Trump VII" as a future President of the United States.

It's three generations? Thought it was just the Don and Donny Jr.

All hail President Donald Trump VII!

The numbering for presidents is also interesting. Say Donald Trump VII is succeeded by Donald Jackson; would he be Donald Jackson VIII or Donald Jackson I? I'm assuming the former.
When I first read the site, I assumed that Presidrnts would assume the names of former presidents ala Popes

It's three generations? Thought it was just the Don and Donny Jr.

All hail President Donald Trump VII!

The numbering for presidents is also interesting. Say Donald Trump VII is succeeded by Donald Jackson; would he be Donald Jackson VIII or Donald Jackson I? I'm assuming the former.

Donald Trump III was born to Don Jr in 2009. So Don III had the joy of growing up during the Regression

Though unless the Regression start date is moved forward to 2016 Trump won't become President and thus the future Presidents wouldn't be named that. Unless some future descendant of Trump becomes a President of the much shrunken US.

tehskyman

Banned
Maybe future American senators take on the names of the past. For example, the old presidents became saints of a sort and so when a family was particularly righteous they were bestowed the surname of an ancient president. And maybe some other famous Americans too. So your a young nobleman who was distinguished in war. The Chief Justice of the Supreme court gives you the surname of Hoover.

Also Senators might represent lost states too. So there could be a senator of Montana who will never see Montana. Canadian Provinces would also apply in this case.

When I first read the site, I assumed that Presidrnts would assume the names of former presidents ala Popes
That is a very interesting possibility. That probably is the case now that I think about it.

Donald Trump III was born to Don Jr in 2009. So Don III had the joy of growing up during the Regression

Though unless the Regression start date is moved forward to 2016 Trump won't become President and thus the future Presidents wouldn't be named that. Unless some future descendant of Trump becomes a President of the much shrunken US.
Considering the Trumps are based in New York City, I believe they would become a very wealthy and influential family who could rise within the increasingly thassalocratic United States (which I have a feeling might actually be a descendant of the US Navy like how the Nondenomist Church is actually descended from the Judicial Branch of the US government). Christ, we often see White's US and Nondenomsit Church as Catholic and Byzantine rip-offs but they are actually extremely different. For example, both are legitimate heirs to the United States.

Maybe future American senators take on the names of the past. For example, the old presidents became saints of a sort and so when a family was particularly righteous they were bestowed the surname of an ancient president. And maybe some other famous Americans too. So your a young nobleman who was distinguished in war. The Chief Justice of the Supreme court gives you the surname of Hoover.

Also Senators might represent lost states too. So there could be a senator of Montana who will never see Montana. Canadian Provinces would also apply in this case.
If they had lost state senators, I'm sure the South would be in uproar. Likely, they cannot vote or do anything but instead just sit there and give their opinions on issues being discussed.

tehskyman

Banned
That is a very interesting possibility. That probably is the case now that I think about it.

Considering the Trumps are based in New York City, I believe they would become a very wealthy and influential family who could rise within the increasingly thassalocratic United States (which I have a feeling might actually be a descendant of the US Navy like how the Nondenomist Church is actually descended from the Judicial Branch of the US government). Christ, we often see White's US and Nondenomsit Church as Catholic and Byzantine rip-offs but they are actually extremely different. For example, both are legitimate heirs to the United States.

I really like this idea that the old US was actually built off of the Navy. It does conflict a bit with how White described the rump USA as having grown out of Sailors of Chesapeake bay.

Maybe the head of the rump USA originally had only the title of Admiral, leaving the seat of president symbolically empty. And then perhaps the Supreme Court had some sort of crisis where upon the Admiral stepped in. The Chief Justice then gave the title of President to the Admiral in Baltimore.

I really like this idea that the old US was actually built off of the Navy. It does conflict a bit with how White described the rump USA as having grown out of Sailors of Chesapeake bay.

Maybe the head of the rump USA originally had only the title of Admiral, leaving the seat of president symbolically empty. And then perhaps the Supreme Court had some sort of crisis where upon the Admiral stepped in. The Chief Justice then gave the title of President to the Admiral in Baltimore.
When White spoke about the Chesapeake Bay sailors, I assumed that was him talking about why the US has a very strong naval tradition since I doubt the USA collapsed and then was rebuilt by Chesapeake sailors as your interpretation suggests. However, it does lend credence to the increased importance of the US Navy. People turn more and more to sailing so the Navy's influence increases to the point where the commander of the Navy is the most powerful person in the rump United States since the army is getting smaller day by day and the National Guards are being taken with the States that declare independence.

I do like the idea about the Presidency being symbolically empty for a while.

I see the Senate being maintained in Federal control due to the loss of almost all territory east of the Mississippi. Those 26 states are elected by "courts-in-exile", the descendants of the politicos from those states who were in Washington and any refugees who might have fled. While the holders of other state capitals still send senators, these Westron senate families keep things form getting totally out of hand, and of course generate some insane political intrigue.

As to the house... possibly due to the state of emergency since elections can only be reliably held in federally controlled territory, all of the House is for Federal territory? Less sure on this one.

You could then elevate that state of emergency as adding a lot of quirks. You could also have the state of emergency take on a religious signifcance, since it will only be ended when the Union is restored and thus tied in to Millenarian ideas?

I think Presidents should be elected by all of the states east of the Mississippi, plus all of the courts-in-exile And since a Census can not be conducted on the western states, they maintain their pre-regression electoral votes. And if there is some bumfuckery and no one gets a majority, it gets thrown to the House which (assuming my prior theory hold) is in American hands. Possibly the state-of-emergency makes these for life, or failing that 10 years.

I believe that while there would be literal political "dynasties" descended from old presidents, generally speaking the convention is for Presidents to assume the name of a former President. Possibly this began with some President who saved the US from total dissolution and thus gained the nickname "George Washington II." Further Presidents received nicknames based on their similarity to old presidents (especially as the Church becomes increasingly obsessed with 'classicism'). Eventually to control the narrative Presidents start pushign the names themselves.

tehskyman

Banned
What would the relationship between the Chief Justice and the President be like. That could be very interesting

tehskyman

Banned
Maybe a church heresy has developed around the idea of the “Last President/ The true 45th President (#notmypresident)” who will unite the 50 states and bring about peace on earth. Also I don't think that the states would actually vote on the President. Maybe the House has been suspended because of the state of emergency and all the actual politics happens in the Senate.

All of this being separate from the politics of the Church. Maybe there was a schism between the President/Admiral in Baltimore and the Chief Justice on whether the Chief Justice could inherit the mantle of President.

I see the Senate being maintained in Federal control due to the loss of almost all territory east of the Mississippi. Those 26 states are elected by "courts-in-exile", the descendants of the politicos from those states who were in Washington and any refugees who might have fled. While the holders of other state capitals still send senators, these Westron senate families keep things form getting totally out of hand, and of course generate some insane political intrigue.

As to the house... possibly due to the state of emergency since elections can only be reliably held in federally controlled territory, all of the House is for Federal territory? Less sure on this one.

You could then elevate that state of emergency as adding a lot of quirks. You could also have the state of emergency take on a religious signifcance, since it will only be ended when the Union is restored and thus tied in to Millenarian ideas?

I think Presidents should be elected by all of the states east of the Mississippi, plus all of the courts-in-exile And since a Census can not be conducted on the western states, they maintain their pre-regression electoral votes. And if there is some bumfuckery and no one gets a majority, it gets thrown to the House which (assuming my prior theory hold) is in American hands. Possibly the state-of-emergency makes these for life, or failing that 10 years.

I believe that while there would be literal political "dynasties" descended from old presidents, generally speaking the convention is for Presidents to assume the name of a former President. Possibly this began with some President who saved the US from total dissolution and thus gained the nickname "George Washington II." Further Presidents received nicknames based on their similarity to old presidents (especially as the Church becomes increasingly obsessed with 'classicism'). Eventually to control the narrative Presidents start pushign the names themselves.

This is actually pretty interesting. However, I don't think Westron senators should be allowed to vote for the president. Rather they could play an advisory role because the South would be in uproar if Baltimore let the Westron senators vote as they would have grown up and live their lives in DC and so are indistinguishable from the Yankees (unless if Washington is more closely aligned with Dixie which is my prediction).

What would the relationship between the Chief Justice and the President be like. That could be very interesting
The Chief Justice would still have secular authority over territory of the United States since it can rule its laws "unconstitutional."

Maybe a church heresy has developed around the idea of the “Last President/ The true 45th President (#notmypresident)” who will unite the 50 states and bring about peace on earth. Also I don't think that the states would actually vote on the President. Maybe the House has been suspended because of the state of emergency and all the actual politics happens in the Senate.

All of this being separate from the politics of the Church. Maybe there was a schism between the President/Admiral in Baltimore and the Chief Justice on whether the Chief Justice could inherit the mantle of President.
While I agree with the notion of a millenarian approach to the Presidency, lets keep current politics out of it. I think the concept of a true President (Called "Potus") would be tied up with the idea of the Millenial Kingdom, that the New Israel must be established to make the Earth ready for Christ's coming.

This is actually pretty interesting. However, I don't think Westron senators should be allowed to vote for the president. Rather they could play an advisory role because the South would be in uproar if Baltimore let the Westron senators vote as they would have grown up and live their lives in DC and so are indistinguishable from the Yankees (unless if Washington is more closely aligned with Dixie which is my prediction).
Perhaps laws applying to territory administered by the federal government require a simple majority, whereas anything pertainign to Union-wide issues require a supermajority. Plus, the Westron families aren't always going to vote the party line.

The Chief Justice would still have secular authority over territory of the United States since it can rule its laws "unconstitutional."

While I agree with the notion of a millenarian approach to the Presidency, lets keep current politics out of it. I think the concept of a true President (Called "Potus") would be tied up with the idea of the Millenial Kingdom, that the New Israel must be established to make the Earth ready for Christ's coming.

Perhaps laws applying to territory administered by the federal government require a simple majority, whereas anything pertainign to Union-wide issues require a supermajority. Plus, the Westron families aren't always going to vote the party line.

Your points are interesting. I like the millenarian concept of the Potus and as we think about it, the United States would be an interesting and unique nation. Shame I'm knowledgable enough on America to write the Carolinas and Kentucky entries so that we could get to the USA.