Medieval America Mark III

tehskyman

Banned
What’s the country between Georgia, Florida and Mississippi? I just like the idea of it being the County of West Florida.

That could work. Though it being unnamed signals to me that overall it's fairly insignificant. Probably a petty warlordship with a similar/identical social order as other gulf states

That could work. Though it being unnamed signals to me that overall it's fairly insignificant. Probably a petty warlordship with a similar/identical social order as other gulf states

It could mean that they’re a fairly insignificant country with delusions of grandeur. Or that they named themselves that to try to suck up to Florida.

tehskyman

Banned
It could mean that they’re a fairly insignificant country with delusions of grandeur. Or that they named themselves that to try to suck up to Florida.

If you want to write it , go ahead. I just want to start writing about the North-East and Canadian Maritimes

I also want to do a deep dive into Latin America because that'll be really interesting.

If you want to write it , go ahead. I just want to start writing about the North-East and Canadian Maritimes

I also want to do a deep dive into Latin America because that'll be really interesting.

Fair enough. I can’t really write anything extensive because I only have my cellphone to write on. I’m camping in a park that, needless to say, has no wifi.

I’ll be looking forward to what you have to write.

It’ll be interesting to see how Mexico and Central America ended up in this new Medieval period.

Could a more technologically advanced faction work here? Was thinking about a group of people who were able to preserve a lot of pre-regression knowledge after holding up in an abandoned prison, only for it to warp into a full on Religion centered around the great god atom (knowledge, science, electricity, invention, industry and atomic industry). With them having recently gone on expansionist spree with their steampunk renaissance tech after ditching their long held isolationism.

Could a more technologically advanced faction work here? Was thinking about a group of people who were able to preserve a lot of pre-regression knowledge after holding up in an abandoned prison, only for it to warp into a full on Religion centered around the great god atom (knowledge, science, electricity, invention, industry and atomic industry). With them having recently gone on expansionist spree with their steampunk renaissance tech after ditching their long held isolationism.
Even though I am only a lurker, I think that while it is likely that a cult that worships Pre-Regression tech somewhere on the continent, the entire known world is stuck at an OTL medieval tech level.

Even though I am only a lurker, I think that while it is likely that a cult that worships Pre-Regression tech somewhere on the continent, the entire known world is stuck at an OTL medieval tech level.
How unfortunate...

I was thinking something along the lines of the Brotherhood of Steel and Adeptus Mechanicus. Having things like rifled matchlocks, hot air balloons and mechanical computers now expanding outwards following some overpopulation and resource issues.

We could still have hot air balloons. The Mexican Emperor has been called the 'richest man in the Americas' in one of the threads. He could surely fund the creation of hot air balloons to show off his conquest of the skies.

I think I just found the perfect place for the pseudo Adeptus Mechanicus/Brotherhood of Steel group.

Deer Lodge Montana, a nice enough town with a population of little over 3,000 in a mostly agricultural county but the real kicker is that it's home to the former Montana State Prison that was turned into a museum after it closed down in 1979. Containing an Automotive, Frontier and County museums with plenty of useful tools to set up camp and hunker down in an already rather defensible local. Making it a perfect place for a group who wanted to survive and persevere as much knowledge as possible during the regression, especially if they made any alliances with any surviving elements of the military or law enforcement in the area.

The Great Midwestern War: Night of Burning Ships

tehskyman

Banned
The Great Midwestern War: Night of Burning Ships

PaintingOfPirateShipBurningInTripoliHarbor1804-672x372.jpg

The Great Midwestern War may have started with the Night of Burning Ships, but the divisions which fueled the great fire that raged across the Midwest for nearly a decade were present long before then. Some of these divisions were baked into the land itself. The Midwest, with its rich soil was always one of the most fertile regions on the continent and as a result it is the most densely populated region in the East and one of the most densely populated regions on the continent, rivaled only by the Central Valley of California or the plains of the Pacific Northwest. Prior to the Bailey Invasion, nearly a quarter of the population of the East, 14 million people, lived within the borders of two nations: the State of Illinois and the Commonwealth of Ohio. With 2 of the most powerful states on the continent sitting side by side, war was inevitable. The Great Midwestern War was not the first time these nations had fought each other. There were minor wars over border fiefdoms, like the city of Terre Haute, Porter County or Gary. But this war was the first time that so many of their neighbors jumped in when alliances, and trade interests aligned to set the entire region ablaze.

The State of Michigan, though not as large or powerful as Illinois or Ohio, has always been a player in the region. It's influence over the merchants of the Mackinaw League and rivalry with Ohio has been a key driver of events in the Midwest. Though the Commonwealth of Ohio is by far it's most powerful neighbor, Ohio's various internal divisions have never allowed it to completely dominate Michigan. However by the 2800s, the President in Cincinnati had accumulated enough control over his vassals to centralize power in Cincinnati. This meant that Ohio could now throw its weight around and spread its influence over the Midwest. At war's eve, it had made tributary states out of Pope-Gallatin County, the State of Tennesee and Knox County and had outright vassalized the State of West Virginia and Allegheny County.

As such, when Governor Clarence IV of Michigan died and Ohio sought to take control over the Michigan throne, Ohio's neighbors decided that this was a step too far and stepped in to challenge the power of the President in Cincinnati.

Spring of 2856, Clarence IV of Michigan was besieging London against the State of Ontario when a stray arrow found its way into his helmet. With the death of their Governor, Michiganite forces retreated from the town and abandoned the siege. It was during this crisis, that Clarence's brother, Wallace was sworn in as Wallace I. Wallace raced against time to return to Ann Arbor but found that his crossing had been blocked by ships from the Genesee County navy upon orders of his nephew, Luthor. In the time between the arrival of news of his father's demise and Wallace's return from Kitchener, Luthor had gathered several nobles and swore himself in as Governor. Luthor then crossed the river and with reinforcements from Genesee County, defeated Wallace's diminished army. After the defeat, most of Wallace's army deserted and Wallace had to flee in the dead of night with only a few loyal retainers.

Wallace made his way to Cedar Point and then to Cincinnati where he spent the rest of 2856, convincing President Micheal V of Ohio to lend him the troops and ships to seize the throne from his nephew. Micheal lent Wallace the army and fleet needed to do so but in return Wallace had to swear fealty to Micheal, wed Micheal's daughter Anna and return the control of Toledo to Ohio. Michigan was at this time, in control of the City of Toledo, with Wallace's grandfather Clarence III having taken over the town at a time when the President in Cincinatti had been distracted by some unruly vassals in the Kentucky marches.

Meanwhile, Luthor, now Luthor II of Michigan, was looking for allies among his neighbors. Knowing that his uncle had fled to Ohio, Luthor secured the allegiance of many important players. He treated with the State of Ontario, renouncing Michigan's claims to London. He also reduced the taxes of merchants who passed through Detroit. But most importantly, Luthor arranged his betrothal to Veronica, first daughter of the State of Illinois and Governor Peter V Dupont's 3rd. The wedding between the two nobles was set to take place the next spring equinox in Detroit, right after the shareholder's meeting of the Mackinaw League. Veronica would be accompanied to her wedding by a significant delegation of Illinoisan and Wisconsinite naval vessels as befitting a noble of her status. A grand celebration would take place as delegates from across the Midwest and Lake region were invited. Most pointedly however, was the absence of representatives from Ohio. The wedding itself would take place on Belle Isle, just upstream of Detroit.

Come March, when Veronica arrived in Detroit for the wedding, Wallace had gathered a small army and a fleet near Sandusky. Under pressure from President Micheal, the merchant houses of Ohio were to participate in Wallace's surprise attack on the wedding, with the intent of destroying rival merchant corporations and seizing control of the Mackinaw League.

Come the day of the wedding, the fleet set forth from Sandusky and reached Detroit by dusk, when the festivities of the wedding were at their peak. Unbeknownst to Luthor, several of Wallace's old allies were aware of the plan and had assembled some soldiers to disrupt the festivities. Wallace and his army disembarked and alongside his allied lords, proceeded to massacre rival merchant houses and lords. Enemy ships were captured and if the crew resisted, they were massacred and the ships burned, else those ships were conscripted for Wallace's cause. By the time the garrison in Detroit finally marched out to meet Wallace, much of the killing was already over. Sensing the change in power, commander Nathan Toustin fell onto his knee and pledged his and Detroit's loyalty to Governor Wallace I. 3 days later, Wallace marched into Ann Arbor and was formally sworn in as the new Governor. Soon after he formally wed his betrothed in Ann Arbor's chapel.

However Luthor was still alive. In the chaos of the massacre, Veronica and Luthor, surrounded by loyal soldiers, were able to flee, and escaped on Illinoisan ships anchored on the northern end of the island. Luthor sailed to Benton Harbor where he set out notices to the remaining loyalist forces of Michigan to meet him in Grand Rapids. By the time the summer solstice arrived, Luthor had an army of nearly 5500 men and 1200 cavalry and set out to meet Wallace on the battlefield. Further to the south an Illinoisan army 15000 men and 3000 horse strong, crossed the Wabash river and captured Terre Haute. The Great Midwestern War had begun.

Last edited:
Mechanicsville: the Lost City

20190622_134648.jpg

There are legends rumors of a great city deep within the wilds of Montana where the ancient wonders of the industrial age still continue one, where one may only flip a switch to illuminate their house throughout the night or where people travel across the land with strange horseless carriages. Considered as little more than a story to tell around the fire it has not stopped many a brave or foolish adventure to travel into Montana for this fabled lost treasure, either coming back empty handed or having never returned at all. Including the infamous lost Mormon expedition from before the loss and eventual reclamation of Salt Lake City, with the leadership of Desert and Columbia considering any further search for this fabled Mechanicsville to be nothing more than a waste of resources, outside of the foolish members.

Little do they know that the stories of the fabled Mechanicsville are not mere myths. Once known as Deer Lodge the town found itself as chosen refuge for a band of scholars from the old Rocky Mountain College in Billings, Montana and the University of Idaho from Moscow, Idaho. Having chosen Deer Lodge for its Museum Prison, complex where not only would it be easily defensible but also far its various museum items would prove invaluable during the early days. Bringing with them an assortment of texts on engineering, history, science and medicine having seen the regression coming and rightfully fearing a second dark age, wishing to preserve as much knowledge as possible. Later being joined by elements of the dying US Army and national guard who agreed to help defend the former prison and town in exchange for aid in medicine and maintaining their vehicles. The early days of what would become Mechanicville and the Church of the Automaton God would be fraught with hardship and peril, as locust swarms of desperate survivors laid seige to Deer Lodge, ravenous for the treasure trove of supplies with the defenders fighting tooth and nail to survive.

As the outside world degraded, as guns and missiles gave way to sword & shield and science and reason was consumed by superstition and mysticism Deer Lodge endured, an island of light in a sea of of darkness. Slowly but steadily they began to expand beyond their fortified township moving eastward into the former counties of Lewis and Clarke, Meagher, Broadwater, Jefferson, Cascade and beyond, finding little beyond primitive savages and nomads, praying to crude tribal idols. Soon they began to question Why had the world declined so? How could so much knowledge be simply forgotten? What happened to the great wonders of the Industrial Age? Eventually coming to the conclusion that the world had degraded so far because the people of the industrial age wasted the potential of their knowledge, letting its glorious light diminishes and that all other civilizations and their primitive superstitions were unworthy of the power of science & knowledge. Only for their knowledge to become a religion of its own, as Doctors and Engineers were slowly warped into priests and holy men, coming to worship their God Atom, the automaton saviour yet built and his domains of knowledge, engineering, electricity, science and atomic engineering who will one day upload his creators into a virtual paradise, until the death this reality. Praying in towns and cities across their territory to his heralds Tesla, Einstein, Ford, Oppenheimer, Von Braun and Babbage, while ancient generators and computers are held as idols of worship to the power of technology.
maxresdefault.jpg

Yet now the gears of war have begun to turn, generations ago the lost legion of Mormons came to their land seeking pillage and conquest only to meet a hail of musket fire and the iron charge of warwagons but now their forts continue to push ever closer to the lands of Atom, the tribal savages who once pledged vassalage to them now pray to the Cross God. While in the great fortress city of Mechanicsville the priesthood begin to murmur "Is it not our sacred duty to spread the torch of knowledge across this dark land?" "Shall we stand idle as the barbarians once again stand at the gate, ready to burn and pillage all that we have built?". As the food and resources that have always been in an a safe excess now begin to grow scarce as knew converts to the works of Atom arrive, fleeing the march of foolish eco-buddhists and the rabid deserites. While the Motorized General begins to Marshal his ranks for the coming storm, emboldened by the recent rise of the new High Overseer Joshua Branson.
th

Yet now the rulers of the Cascadian City States to the priesthood of Desert have begun to wonder if the legends of the lost city of technology are just legends. While more Mormon forts are destroyed out on the Montana frontier, magnificent peices of clockwork find their way to market places across the snake and word of great healers with powerful medicines begin to spread.

Sorry, non-canon. It's simply not in fitting with the setting.
Shame but oh well. There goes my idea for an industrial renaissance a century or two down the line... actually how much longer do you think the second Medieval period will last? Since there's probably plenty of books with scientific knowledge hidden away somewhere.

Well there goes my idea for a religious order dedicated to the study of nature and biology in order to be better tame and control it in the Mechanicsville hierarchy. That's mostly made up of woman outside of their branch of warrior plague doctors/healers. (A foil to the eco-buddhists)

tehskyman

Banned
Shame but oh well. There goes my idea for an industrial renaissance a century or two down the line... actually how much longer do you think the second Medieval period will last? Since there's probably plenty of books with scientific knowledge hidden away somewhere.

Realistically, it could go on and on until incremental scientific progress in either the new or old world results in a world that is technologically not Medieval, but also no Renaissance to go with it. But how the Renaissance happened is complex and it's possible that it could happen again in either the old world or the new.

It could also go in another way, with Europe sending explorers to the America's again, bringing in more advanced technology. I say this instead of rediscover because there is the possibility of incidental contact every now and then with American ships being swept up by the gulf current to Europe and very low volume trade occuring from Newfoundland to Greenland to Iceland to Northern Europe. The America's could also send explorers to Europe though I think this is less likely because Europe's primary trade routes were east-west and land based. This meant that when they were blocked, Europeans would attempt to go around the world the other way, thus bumping into the Americas. In the Americas there is less incentive to send people out to sea because long-distance trade is North-South and primary trade routes are sea-based

Last edited: