Medieval America Mark III

What's that giant space filing empire between California, Cascadia, Deseret, and Dinehtah
That's just the default green used on WorldAs meaning 'uninhabited'. Probably could throw in some light coloration showing the areas of influence of the empires, but I imagine it's quite variable and a Westphalian depiction wouldn't do it justice, and the population density is pretty low to begin with.

In terms of clients, I gave the Desereti the Hilljacks. I gave the New Mexicans their Colorado and Gila tributaries in addition to the New Age shepherds between Dinteah and the Colorado and the Pecos Cowboys, I gave the Californians "New Reno" (thought it made sense for Vegas refugees to congregate in another gambling town). I also colored the Columbian Laskans in such a way so as to imply that they're clients of Cascadia; of course, coloring Cascadia as a singular polity is a gross mischaracterization, but that is generally the trend with WorldAs and the Greeks. I figure the Cascadians are roughly similar so it's appropriate.

tehskyman

Banned
That's just the default green used on WorldAs meaning 'uninhabited'. Probably could throw in some light coloration showing the areas of influence of the empires, but I imagine it's quite variable and a Westphalian depiction wouldn't do it justice, and the population density is pretty low to begin with.

In terms of clients, I gave the Desereti the Hilljacks. I gave the New Mexicans their Colorado and Gila tributaries in addition to the New Age shepherds between Dinteah and the Colorado and the Pecos Cowboys, I gave the Californians "New Reno" (thought it made sense for Vegas refugees to congregate in another gambling town). I also colored the Columbian Laskans in such a way so as to imply that they're clients of Cascadia; of course, coloring Cascadia as a singular polity is a gross mischaracterization, but that is generally the trend with WorldAs and the Greeks. I figure the Cascadians are roughly similar so it's appropriate.

The Alaskans aren't one politity right? Because Alaska is huge

comparea-alaska.png

The Alaskans aren't one politity right? Because Alaska is huge

comparea-alaska.png
We've been over this; there are three major Laskan polities, none of them have anything resembling Westphalian control outside of their heartlands with Ankrage coming closest. There's the State of Alaska out of Juneau, the Republic of Laska out of Ankrage, and the Cascadian area of influence out of Kechikan. Plus something in Baranoff Island. Most of Northern Alaska is just tribals and Orthodox missions.

The states are rather large, but as I say they don't really influence that much control. THey have chiefs pledging fealty, and the population density is low enough that other state level entities cannot pop up.

I don't think that the lower St Lawrence would be American. Perhaps a French speaking maritime culture would develop. The gulf of St Lawrence would be contested between the quebecqois and the americans
That's what White depicted on his map of the US.

I have a question, do any of you guys think that the religions can exist? I can see new Israelism but I don't see it being called that, nor do I see Jedi existing. I feel like we should make more realistic religions and that Jedi should be changed. or that you can explain to me how Jedi can become really popular in this timeline?

I have a question, do any of you guys think that the religions can exist? I can see new Israelism but I don't see it being called that, nor do I see Jedi existing. I feel like we should make more realistic religions and that Jedi should be changed. or that you can explain to me how Jedi can become really popular in this timeline?
New Israelites don't refer to themselves as New Israelites (at least I don't think), it's an exonym. They simply consider themselves Christians.

Jedism isn't really a religion, it's just a term applied to Cascadian "Samurai" or knights.

New Israelites don't refer to themselves as New Israelites (at least I don't think), it's an exonym. They simply consider themselves Christians.

Jedism isn't really a religion, it's just a term applied to Cascadian "Samurai" or knights.
But I don't see jedism being realistic to become a term for warriors.

But I don't see jedism being realistic to become a term for warriors.
Sure, it's a bit silly, but this project has always been rather silly. Scientologist California is ridiculous, and it was even in the 90s when Scientology was in a significantly better position than it is today.

New Age New Mexico is patently absurd. In reality the region would probably just become a more syncretic Mexican Catholicism, kind of like what we have in Bajo Colorado.

Heck, making Cascadia Buddhist in the first place was pretty goofy. One of the unspoken rules laid down by White seems to have been that the West is whacky.

When I was constructing Cascadian Buddhism, I was looking at the dumb Orientalist Buddhism that most Americans know. So when I was thinking about the Cascadian warrior class, I drew inspiration from a quasi-Buddhist orientalist media product that is very well known and would doubtless survive into the Medieval world.

I thought is that since this is already pretty ASB we shouldn't let issues of plausibility hold us back. If we were to be more committed to plausibility then large chunks of American territory would be radioactive due to all the power plants melting down due to lack of maintenance. We should take the MST3K Mantra to heart regarding this.

I thought is that since this is already pretty ASB we shouldn't let issues of plausibility hold us back. If we were to be more committed to plausibility then large chunks of American territory would be radioactive due to all the power plants melting down due to lack of maintenance. We should take the MST3K Mantra to heart regarding this.
There certainly is a level of plausibility that needs to be maintained, but where it is precisely is is uncertain.

There certainly is a level of plausibility that needs to be maintained, but where it is precisely is is uncertain.
And I understand that. The premise may be somewhat ASB but the consequences should be somewhat plausible. We can't go full ASB but if we went for full plausibility, as I said before, large chunks of former American land would be no-go zones like the area around Chernobyl. It's a balancing act.

Commonwealth of Ohio

tehskyman

Banned
Commonwealth of Ohio

OhioFlagSmall.png

System of Government: Feudal State
Head of State: President in Cincinnati , chosen from the ruling Ingram-Wolf Family by Feudal Electors (de jure), by the President (de facto)
Population: 7,500,000
Religion: Non-Denominational
Totemic Symbol: Buckeye Tree

Once again a credible challenger for premier power of the Midwest, when the President in Cincinnati has had control over his many vassals, Ohio is able to throw it's weight around. This has meant control over the river guilds along the Ohio, vassalization of its neighbors and creating alliances within the Church powerful enough to challenge the Ivy League supervisories.

Part of Ohio's power comes from it's great population and the power of the Ohio River. The rich soil of Midwest means that more people live within Ohio's borders than any other state on the continent. This has led to some of the largest cities on the continent being located in Ohio. The capital Cincinnati is home to nearly 200,000 individuals and the mills, docks, smithies and markets which employ them. The Ohioan presidential palace is located just upstream of the city and is modeled on the National Mall in Washington with the imperial residences where the Capitol should be. A great palace at one end, surrounded by gardens and a reflecting pool which points towards the Ohio River, a walled city off limits for those without invitations.

ohiomap.gif

A map of Ohio

Just prior to the Great Midwestern War, Ohio was doing well, but not as well as it had been. Michigan was getting it's act together again and Illinois was no longer concerned about the Rizzinni's though some of its more unruly Kentucky vassals had been replaced with loyalists from north of the river. But the devastation and loss of power that came with the end of the war was difficult to deal with. Toledo had been ceded to Michigan again, Allegheny county was severed and many of it's tributary states in Tennissy, Pope-Gallatin county no longer owed tribute to Cincinnati. And the worst was yet to come for Ohio.

When the Dabneys crossed the Mississippi and burned Illinois, there was nothing stopping them from venturing further, and so they did. The Dabneys raided across Indiana, burned down the town of Fort Wayne and were only stopped when a force nearly 15,000 lancers strong met them at Lima. The cowboys were not expecting an army to arrive for several days and as such let the lancers creep up on them during the night. At dawn, under the command of First Consort/Vice President Wallace Wolf, the lancers charged towards the cowboys. This charge scattered the cowboy camp and allowed the lancers to inflict heavy damage on the cowboys. After the rout with his lancer force, Wallace was able to pursue the cowboys all the way back to Illinois. For 50 years after that, much of the President's annual budget went towards maintaining the Wabash Wall, a great series of ditches, walls and forts designed to repeal the Dabney's annual raids. Even then, the wall took many years to construct, took tens of thousands of peasant laborers and was breached at least twice.

With this in mind, when a coalition was built to destroy the Dabneys, Ohio was at its vanguard. It was Ohioan lancers, alongside their Wisconsinite counterparts who broke up the main Dabney force into managable chunks. These groups were then slaughtered to the man. Though Ohio did not seize any of Illinois, it was able to secure friendly terms with George Bailey. When Luthor III invaded Illinois and sent its ships to Buffalo in a fit of pique the year after, Ohio was there as well, taking Toledo back and besieging Detroit.

Since the destruction of the Dabneys the outlook has been positive. With the persistent genocidal threat from Illinois gone, Ohio is once again able to throw it's weight around and bully its lesser neighbors. In 2942 when some of its vassals "independently" raided Tennisy and Pope-Gallatin County, Ohio was able to negotiate an annual tribute from them, in return for keeping its vassals under check. But constantly bullying your neighbors is a good way to scare them and sometimes pandering to them is also needed. In 2977 President Wallace I expelled the Masons from all of Ohio earning him great favor and influence in Buffalo. In 2991 Ohio sent 1500 lancers to Ontario in order to support them in the 7th Northern Crusade.

Until now, the Ohioan claim on Michigan has gone unpressed and a repeat of the Great Midwestern War has been avoided. However rumors swirl in all the courts of the Midwest and Great Lakes that, Wallace's son, President-Elect Stefan intends to do so the moment he ascends to the Buckeye Chair. With Stefan's marriage to First Daughter Joanna Bailey of Iowa and his father's increasing frailty it seems like Ohio may finally overcome one of the greatest hurdles in their quest for nearly absolute dominance over the Midwest. However, Stephen's ascension to the throne allegiance is not guaranteed. A cruel and vindictive man, he has alienated many of his fathers vassals. Unbeknownst to many his bastard half-brother Joeseph lives in Detroit under Michigander protection, ready to sail for Toledo and press his claim on the throne in Cincinnati. If war is to pass, as many believe, it may be messier and bloodier than the last.

Last edited:
Ohio has a perfectly good flag already. Why not use it?

I'm thinking that many states would be using the old American color scheme for their flag. Especially the ones with a Non-Denom majority since the American colors and that particular religion may be seen as being linked. Since Ohio is powerful enough to expel the Masons, who are presumably America's Non-Denom religious order, they might be powerful enough to have a flag with a different color scheme. Which would just be an altered version of the OTL state flag.

State of West Virginia

tehskyman

Banned
State of West Virginia

WestVirginiaFlagSmall.png

System of Government: Feudal State
Head of State: Governor, chosen through vote of feudal electors
Population: 400,000
Religion: Non-Denominational
Totemic Symbol: Rhododendron
In the hills beyond eastern Ohio, lies the small state of West Virginia. West Virginia is currently a small rump state that is too inconsequential for Ohio to bother conquering. As of right now they have lost their capital Charleston, but said loss was recent, having happened just 20 years ago when Wallace I rode into the hills and conquered the southern half of the state. Prior to this conquest West Virginia was forced to pay an annual tribute to the President in Cincinnati but this tribute is not in gold or silver but instead in the elite pikemen who makeup the Ohioan presidential guard. West Virginia must continue to pay this tribute but in recent years the amount of pike-men travelling to Cincinnati has been decreasing as Wallace I grows frailer. Instead these pikemen travel north to Pitsberg onto Erie or Cleveland where they serve other masters across the great Lakes.

Though they are not unique in their culture of spear wielding yeoman, the West Virginians are different in the relative ease of access to the Midwest and Great Lakes. In most other Appalachian states and across New England, the composition of armies is mostly pikemen, though most of these other nations lie on the other sides of the Appalachians making access to their pikemen difficult. As a result, in Ohio and the Midwest, most pikemen come from the hills and terraces of West Virginia/

Last edited:
While I'm not going to ask you to delete it, do note that West virginia is not encompassed under the Great Lakes.

tehskyman

Banned
While I'm not going to ask you to delete it, do note that West virginia is not encompassed under the Great Lakes.

It's kinda hard to categorize though. It differs from other Appalachian states in that it's on the west side of the mountains and not contained in the valley between

It has very few of the characteristics of a Great Lakes or Midwestern nation but it's primary interactions are with those nations