Medieval America Mark III

Slow up cowboy. Post-collapse Vegasites are certainly influential, but they were far more influential when they had the city. It was among the most important cities in the Southwest. They controlled a lot of trade and even conquered New Mexico for a time. They probably controlled Bajo Colarodo for a time too. Now they're gypsies, likely subject to oppression and pogroms wherever they set foot.

But I agree that the diaspora angle is very interesting.

Posession isn't the right way of looking at it, I don't think.

I like this.

Precisely.

I think Order Halls are seldom going to be huge even in the cities; it's always going to be frowned upon to some extent especially by the Americans.

Maybe some of them but I think for the most part the inland peasantry is basically uninitiated aside from superstitions. Rich inland towns will have them, as will formerly rich inland towns. Perhaps inland towns that underwent Quebecois occupation formed a stronger tradition to coordinate resistance. But mostly in the backwoods (again, with some exceptions) the best you can hope for is folk superstitions and the occasional ritual, with Whatley esque figures largely feared and disliked as witches.

Remember, the cult is far from a New England universal. Its ideas have filtered down but active Order members/initiates are a small minority, and mist poorfolk don't take kindly to rich folk practicing what they see as devil worship (nevermind that in reality they take it far more seriously then the average order member).

Yeah, the nautical theme is extremely prevalent. I'll be borrowing heavily for theology from @DValdron 's excellent write up of the Cthulhu cult. I can link it if you're interested.

Sure

Sorry. I guess I got too exited. Maybe Vegasite architecture is still influential in the lands they once ruled over. Like how Greco-Roman architecture inspired later architectural styles.

The irony of the overlords becoming the oppressed is too good not to use.

They’re at least one party in the complicated mess of connections that is American-controlled New England.

They’re then second only to the Non-Denom churches in town.

I guess it’s appropriate that only the wealthy towns have actual Esoteric Order Halls. Maybe most backwoods followers are trying to make themselves believe that they’re still Christian despite ironically following Esoteric doctrine more stringently than those rich “devil worshipers”. I do like the Esoteric faith being used as a symbol of resistance against the Québécois invaders. The areas where they occupied have stronger Esoteric presences than non-occupied lands.

Most Esoteric missionaries would act like early Christians and cloak their faith in elements of the pre-existing local faith to make it more appealing to the natives.

I’d love to see it. One of the symbols used by Esotericism-practicing sailors would be the stylized eye symbol of Dagon since he’s an ocean deity. Nautical themes are strongest in the coast, naturally.

The state along that small branch off the Frasier River would be named Chilliwack after the river it’s clearly centred on.

tehskyman

Banned
I don't think New Agers will be tolerated in the Lake Tahoe Region, that area is probably highly Scientologist and pretty nomadic.

Idea seed: what if there existed a folkloric figure who was based on stories told of Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE). The fear of deportation (particularly in the Trump era but I'm not sure if the apocalypse is meant to have taken place before now) might have mutated into a being known as the Ice-Man, might be used to scare people into good behaviour (don't steal or the Ice-Man will kick you off his land). He might either be made of ice, or be able to turn people into ice...

tehskyman

Banned
Idea seed: what if there existed a folkloric figure who was based on stories told of Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE). The fear of deportation (particularly in the Trump era but I'm not sure if the apocalypse is meant to have taken place before now) might have mutated into a being known as the Ice-Man, might be used to scare people into good behaviour (don't steal or the Ice-Man will kick you off his land). He might either be made of ice, or be able to turn people into ice...

Like a malevolent Jack Frost

Like a malevolent Jack Frost

I remember a Slavic version of the Jack Frost myth where an unwanted but kind-hearted child is left in the cold of winter alone. She meets a figure calling himself "Jack Frost the ruby-nosed" and is nice and polite to him. She is discovered the next day wearing a fur coat and other treasures. The evil stepmother's bratty child is left out, is a brat to Jack Frost, and is frozen to death for insulting him. So maybe the Ice-Man treats good children well and punishes naughty children. The whole point of legends like this is to provide a carrot and a stick. Be a good child and you'll be rewarded. Be a naughty child and be punished.

tehskyman

Banned

From the first post, the regression took place in 2012

"ICE was founded in 2003, so that could still be something the descendants of illegal immigrants tell their children to get them to be good."

Would people living along the Mexican-Texas border in a new medieval world even know what ice was?

"ICE was founded in 2003, so that could still be something the descendants of illegal immigrants tell their children to get them to be good."

Would people living along the Mexican-Texas border in a new medieval world even know what ice was?

Stories about friends and loved ones being deported being turned into myths and legends as they're passed down by word of mouth.

tehskyman

Banned

Snow will fall in Texas every once in a while. Also people know about hail and frost.

Even Arizona and New Mexico get snow falls. The mountains have snow every year.

Outside of Socal and North of Mexico will see snow at least once a year.

And even then, the mountains of Socal and Northern Mexico see snow.

Last edited:
Snow will fall in Texas every once in a while. Also people know about hail and frost.

Even Arizona and New Mexico get snow falls. The mountains have snow every year.

Outside of Socal and North of Mexico will see snow at least once a year.

And even then, the mountains of Socal and Northern Mexico see snow.

So maybe the Hispanic children are taught to be extra-special good on days when snow is falling or else the Ice-Man would get them.

tehskyman

Banned
So it’s like the American Hispanic community’s version of Krampus or the like.

Less hispanic and more Arizonans , New Mexicans, Texan Farmers, Southern Californians

At this point in the medieval age there are no more distinct races, just new ethnicities based on region

Last edited:

Deleted member 82792

Is there a religion based on the comics of Stan Lee (RIP)?