Medieval America Mark III

Fair enough

edit: being a province would give the dominion of Canada overlordship over Ontario. perhaps to signify their sovriegnty, the rulers of Ontario changed their title (with the blessing of the Non-denom church) to state.

That's a good point. You wouldn't want those dastardly Catholics to lord over good, god-fearing Non-Denoms, after all.

On another note, I'd love to figure out what the names of the nameless nations on the East map are. For instance, the nameless states above New Jersey would be named "Katskil" and "Hudson".

How is voodoo on the large islands not fitting?.
I meant Catholicism on the large isles.

It's mostly with regard to the east. White has 3 states in the east
View attachment 360892

However the north eastern part of the province is too stony and rocky to actually have agriculture. Even now it's mostly forest

View attachment 360893

The borders should look more like this

View attachment 360895

With Quebec now assuming the title of "Dominion of Canada"

Basically Quebec conquered ottawa (canadian Capital), declared itself the remnant of "Canada"

Also Ontario should be "Province of Ontario" not state. I think this regional quirk would remain.
I wouldn't oppose this change (though I would rather Quebec retained the name Quebec), though is agriculture impossible in that region, or is it just too forested ATM for anyone to try?

Fair enough

edit: being a province would give the dominion of Canada overlordship over Ontario. perhaps to signify their sovriegnty, the rulers of Ontario changed their title (with the blessing of the Non-denom church) to state.
Well it seems fairly clear that Anglo-Canadian culture in the region has basically been subsumed by American culture. It makes sense: Anglo-Canadian identity is highly reactionary, based more on "We are not American" than "We are Canadian", and reactionary identities seldom last.

On another note, I'd love to figure out what the names of the nameless nations on the East map are. For instance, the nameless states above New Jersey would be named "Katskil" and "Hudson".
Likely Rockland, Catskill and Albany.

Nameless States

tehskyman

Banned
http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/medvam/images/rivermap.gif

This clears up a couple in the midwest. The rest have no name and will have to be made up.
upload_2017-12-17_20-47-33.png

1. Territory of the Ozarks? Kansas Territory

2. Oklahoma Territory

3. Adams County?

4. Apalachicola County?

5. Knox County duh

6,7 . Could be anything

8 Provence du Champlain

9. Albany County?

10, 11, 12 + everything else could be anything/ dont matter enough. Random Principalities/ Counties/ Districts

edit: number 2 shows up here but nowhere else so Idk if it is actually a state

http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/medvam/images/cities2.gif

tehskyman

Banned
I meant Catholicism on the large isles.

I wouldn't oppose this change (though I would rather Quebec retained the name Quebec), though is agriculture impossible in that region, or is it just too forested ATM for anyone to try?
In retrospect everyone on those islands should be voodoo.

Noones ever tried it. That area is an extension of the Canadian shield so while there are forests similar to the surrounding region, it's pretty rocky and stony. That area was mostly known for forestry. If you could grow crops there, it would have been done already

http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/medvam/images/rivermap.gif

This clears up a couple in the midwest. The rest have no name and will have to be made up.
View attachment 360899

1. Territory of the Ozarks? Kansas Territory

2. Oklahoma Territory

3. Adams County?

4. Apalachicola County?

5. Knox County duh

6,7 . Could be anything

8 Provence du Champlain

9. Albany County?

10, 11, 12 + everything else could be anything/ dont matter enough. Random Principalities/ Counties/ Districts
1. Either is possible

2. Not on the original map?

3. Surely just baton Rouge?

4. Maybe Bay or Panama?

5. Duh

6. Franklin?

7. Cumberland? Center?

8. Seems a bit odd for it to be Francophone but not part of Quebec. Should we consider consolidation?

9. Albany

tehskyman

Banned
1. Either is possible

2. Not on the original map?

3. Surely just baton Rouge?

4. Maybe Bay or Panama?

5. Duh

6. Franklin?

7. Cumberland? Center?

8. Seems a bit odd for it to be Francophone but not part of Quebec. Should we consider consolidation?

9. Albany

number 2 shows up here but nowhere else so Idk if it is actually a state

http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/medvam/images/cities2.gif

3. I guess maybe the "free city" of Baton Rouge. Using a free city designation would help name many of these small states.

8. I decided that it'd be francophone because it's so close to Quebec. It might usually be a Quebec vassal/march. In practice it is mostly independent but it is dejure a part of Quebec.

I think that New Orleans might not exist but there will be an equivalent city there. This is because without Human intervention the Missisippi will flow down the atchafalaya river. Right now there are dams preventing this from happening but these will fail without human intervention

Geomorphology_of_Old_River.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atchafalaya_River
Certainly. It's not going to have many permanent aspects, it's likely constantly rebuilding because of hurricanes. The city itself probably consists of boats, floating platforms and stilt buildings with new government stone buildings being built constantly, with the urins of the old ones scattered throughout the water and bayou.

Certainly. It's not going to have many permanent aspects, it's likely constantly rebuilding because of hurricanes. The city itself probably consists of boats, floating platforms and stilt buildings with new government stone buildings being built constantly, with the urins of the old ones scattered throughout the water and bayou.

Sounds like a combination of Venice and old Tenochtitlan.

tehskyman

Banned

This new route is completely separate from the current route.

Atchafalaya_River.png

So yea. I don't think New Orleans itself will survive. However an equivalent city will come up along the atchatfalaya

tehskyman

Banned
Could it not shift back?

I mean it can. But this cycle takes thousands of years.

Since the route along the A---- river is shorter and steeper than the current route , the river is not likely to shift back. It'll probably stay along the Atchatfalaya route for a long time. Its a real problem right now. Every year it gets harder to control even with our technology

http://www.nola.com/environment/index.ssf/2017/12/rising_river_bottom_could_swit.html
https://www.csmonitor.com/Commentar...course-could-save-New-Orleans-from-hurricanes

I mean, it can still be called "New Orleans" whatever city establishes itself along the new course.

Last edited:
I mean it can. But this cycle takes thousands of years.

Since the route along the A---- river is shorter and steeper than the current route , the river is not likely to shift back. It'll probably stay along the Atchatfalaya route for a long time. Its a real problem right now. Every year it gets harder to control even with our technology

http://www.nola.com/environment/index.ssf/2017/12/rising_river_bottom_could_swit.html
https://www.csmonitor.com/Commentar...course-could-save-New-Orleans-from-hurricanes

I mean, it can still be called "New Orleans" whatever city establishes itself along the new course.
I think we may just ignore this fact. As it wouldn't make much sense for the city to be called "New Orleans", and I feel like it sort of has to be New Orleans.

Bermuda Triangle-Trade

tehskyman

Banned
Definitely, 100%. This region will be a battle front between Caribbean Naval Empires, the American Trade Empire and the Louisianan Trade empires.

It is the hub about which several major trade routes converge. The Mississippi / gulf coast route, the eastern seaboard route, A route connecting Mexico and the Caribbean via the Yucatan and the Caribbean island end route. Matt White didn't include it, but I think that a trade city might grow around Key west. It's either here or in Havana, because Key West - Havana is the shortest route across the Straits of Florida. I think Havana might be larger but only because it has a larger hinterland and a larger source of fresh water.
upload_2017-12-19_21-26-24.png

Definitely, 100%. This region will be a battle front between Caribbean Naval Empires, the American Trade Empire and the Louisianan Trade empires.

It is the hub about which several major trade routes converge. The Mississippi / gulf coast route, the eastern seaboard route, A route connecting Mexico and the Caribbean via the Yucatan and the Caribbean island end route. Matt White didn't include it, but I think that a trade city might grow around Key west. It's either here or in Havana, because Key West - Havana is the shortest route across the Straits of Florida. I think Havana might be larger but only because it has a larger hinterland and a larger source of fresh water.
View attachment 361248
So the Bermuda Triangle is better known for its ships sunk by war then by supernatural forces.