Medieval America Mark III

Discussion in 'Alternate History Books and Media' started by Flashman, Jun 21, 2017.

1. HeX Self-Proclaimed Disney Expert

Perhaps some great calamity (a plague?) could wipe out the West Coast's population, leaving them open for colonization?

suul'ken likes this.
  2. HonestAbe1809 Abraham Lincoln 2020

It just feels kinda wasteful to take the West Coast White and these threads have set up, destroy it, and turn it into Asian colonies.

frustrated progressive, Dante and HeX like this.
  3. Dante Well-Known Member

That seems out of the scope of what this TL is trying to do.

Flashman and suul'ken like this.
  4. tehskyman Engineer for the money

Hmmm, White never speculated about plagues or illnesses.

What illnesses could be common in the new world outside of the usual culprits in the old world.

I imagine that the plague would be really common. Cholera, measles, smallpox etc.

Syphillis? Maybe some new illness borne by new world animals like turkeys?

5. Richard Drummond Well-Known Member

I heavily doubt that would occur. Colonialism in this world would be very different.

Dante and suul'ken like this.
  6. Richard Drummond Well-Known Member

A turkey disease is interesting. According to one of the threads, we have a continental plague in the 2400s.

suul'ken likes this.
  7. Flashman A Real Go-Getter

Yeah, without a 'virgin' New World to propel Europe (or anywhere else, for that matter) to hyperdevelopment colonialism as we know it probably doesn't happen at all.

The bubonic plague is actually quite likely to make a comeback. It's endemic in the rodents of much of the American West, centered in New Mexico. It seems likely that as society and our means to control disease breaks down, what are currently just a few isolated cases could grow into a full blown epidemic. Perhaps early on in the New Middle Ages, lets say the 2200s, a plague sweeps out of New Mexico and rolls from West to East, in a sort of mirror of the Plague of Justinian. This plague and the devestation it causes, coupled with a drought/cold spell that I've mentioned a few times before, led to the rise of some of Medieval America's whackier societies.

The prospect of syphilis is particularly horrifying in the New Middle Ages. Genuinely uncertain how it's possible to really cope with that.

Dante and suul'ken like this.
  8. tehskyman Engineer for the money

Syphilis colonies? A more generally prudish regard to prostitution than was historically tolerated.

Also I think that greater amounts of trade with tropical regions means a greater likelyhood of tropical diseases transmitted from bats and shit spreading.

9. LostInNewDelhi Anarcho-Shaivist

upload_2019-12-3_21-29-13.png The Hulking Vajrapani, guardian of the Buddha, destroys the demons of environmental ignorance in his righteous rage. (source)

Loved reading through the thread. Y'all want any Mexico posts?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    Contrary and suul'ken like this.
  10. Richard Drummond Well-Known Member

I believe limited forms of colonialism would occur. Imagine something similar to Indian 'colonialism' in Indonesia or the settling of Arabs and Iranians (and transmission of their culture) in East Africa. However, it is unlikely we get the massive colonial empires formed by Europe in the 1400s-1900s.

A bubonic outbreak in the 2200s could indeed occur. Though if I remember correctly that there was also an outbreak of disease from the West in the 2400s. We can have both with perhaps the latter being a second, even deadlier wave or a different disease all together.

Syphilis would indeed be interesting.

suul'ken likes this.
  11. Richard Drummond Well-Known Member

We would appreciate some Mexico posts

Contrary and suul'ken like this.
  12. tehskyman Engineer for the money

It might be a bit early for mexico. We also haven't done any of the groundwork regarding population, possible states, trade routes in the Caribbean. I mean, we've been thinking about it, but none of it is official yet.

CountofDooku likes this.
  13. Richard Drummond Well-Known Member

Oh yes, that is true. We are at either North Carolina, Virginia or the USA now IIRC.

CountofDooku likes this.
  14. LostInNewDelhi Anarcho-Shaivist

I've actually been looking into some papers/books on transportation in Mesoamerica/New Spain; I'll post what I find here. I've got some ideas for countries there but I'll not be fleshing them out until the groundwork is laid (likely transport routes, good/bad ports, areas of population density, probable crops/trade goods).

I've noticed the current focus on the Upper South but I don't want to clash with any still-in-progress chapters.

15. Richard Drummond Well-Known Member

You can still spit out ideas. Just we are supposed to be focusing on the Upper South which if we finish quickly with the rest of America-Canada, we can move on to Mexico.

16. tehskyman Engineer for the money

I've outlined some trade routes in some earlier posts

Good Ports, all the old Spanish cities, Brazillian cities :

Caribbean
    Havana (an incredibly important trade hub), Veracruz, Maracaibo, Port au Prince, Santo Domingo, Guantanamo, Kingston

South Atlantic
    Rio de Janairo, Salvador, Recife, Natal, Fortaleza,Florianopolis, Porto Alegre, Montevideo, Buenos Aires

Pacific
    Puerto Montt, Concepcion, Valparais, Antofgasta and Arica (located in Atacama Desert), Lima, Guayaquil, Acapulco, Puerto Valarta

17. tehskyman Engineer for the money

Also an interesting note, along the Atacama Coast from Arica to Antofagasta, 500km, there are just cliffs facing out onto the ocean. I'd imagine that in this world, these cliffs and the desert, would be one of the great wonders of the world.

18. Flashman A Real Go-Getter

No doubt the haunt of cannibals and Pishtacos.

19. Richard Drummond Well-Known Member

In one of the previous threads, Belem was a central trade hub turning it into a very wealthy city which had Amazon colonies.

suul'ken likes this.
  20. tehskyman Engineer for the money

Personally, I'm still unsure what should happen to the Amazon and Guyana and South America in general. On the one hand, rainforests in the old world did have states. Indonesia, Indochina and India all had powerful states. On the other hand, the central amazon seems pretty hostile to civilization.

So writing this out, I'd say that the southern amazon (where evidence of human civilization exists) would be able to host jungle states, who grow rice would be possible similar to the jungle civilizations of Thailand and Cambodia. Pretty much only the Central Amazon, Atacama, and Guyanan Highlands would lack civilization. The coasts of Guyana might have some sort of civilization. Also unsure what happens to the Brazillian interior, are there going to be Guanchos/Cowboys roaming the tropical plains?

suul'ken likes this.