McGoverning

McGoverning: A Very Special Subplot, or, An Egg in The Hand is Worth Two Terrible Towels...
But wait!! There's more...

As I promised last week, there is one more special feature of the Sweeps Week Bonanza. And that's even before we get on to The Brit Chapters and what follows.

No one here will roll over and die of surprise when I say that I like to paint on a broad canvas. I build worlds big - or rather I've built this world big, such that there are many worlds within worlds in which to play, opportunities to indulge favorite topics and personal interests along with the discoveries and joys of assimilating and synthesizing material from many subjects into the main narrative, an exercise in life-long learning as well as compendious AH. A number of those favorite sidebar-subjects have become what I like to refer to as the Many Side Projects of this specific TLverse. Narratives that may bear greatly or only slightly in relation to the main narrative itself, but that belong very deeply to this specific TL, and enrich it in a variety of directions.

The Many Side Projects take on different forms but let's just say my Google Apps account (well, Docs and Sheets anyway) stays busy, to say nothing of the Appendices section of my primary Scrivener project folder. Sometimes, over the course of the larger project, the main thrust, there may be times when one of the Side Projects pokes its head in and says hi. (Spoiler: this is one of those times.)

As we have noted, some pages back now here in the thread, I am a lifelong fan (though somewhat removed during much of the 21st century IOTL until recent reacquaintance) of The HANDEGG, which is to say Murka Rules Football (although by that definition the AFL and both rugby codes likely qualify also, which bookends what I've actually played myself, namely Murka HANDEGG - tight end, middle school and JV, I lacked the speed for varsity at a major 4A program in my home state, which only went up to 4A in those days - and Union - second-row, tight head forward actually, for my hall at uni in Bristol because I was a Yank who'd been a receiver in the American game which they presumed would be good for line-outs. This presumption yielded mixed, though certainly not purely negative, results. Plus I'd finally hit the level of physical development and personal temperament where I could use my long arms and decent size to poleaxe a bastard given a chance, specifically impertinent fly-halfs who thought they could get free with the ball in the narrows just past a scrum. It was fun to spend a little time in a sport where clotheslining was a feature, not a bug. I digress.)

In my efforts to create a vast and plausibly-inhabited TLverse of CRUNCHY VERISIMILITUDE on as many subjects as the brain can support, sports have always played a role. In my effort to make that count, make that hum, about eighteen months ago I stumbled across what I like to call the Magic Butterfly Engine. This would be the really elegantly programmed statistical what-iffery machinery resident at www.whatifsports.com. It covers a variety of sports and I've dipped into most of them in minor or major (or, let's be honest, really quite terrifying... ) ways. My only regret is they don't have one for the universal game, e.g. o jugo bonito or Association Football, so in a more limited way I've done my best there in a more petite, bare-bones Side Project (one bit of which gets a brief three-sentence mention in the upcoming chapter!)

Thankfully www.whatifsports.com does not have an NCAA football or basketball database that reaches back before the late Nineties or I'd be somewhere in a lightless room with moisture dripping from the ceiling huddled over a flickering screen with a five-foot long beard surrounded by jars of my own urine like Howard fucking Hughes. Small mercies.

But. It is a genuinely remarkable bit of programming that outclasses nearly every other counterfactual-programming system I've come across in many walks of fact patterns, among them stuff programmed by academic econometricians - really I'd say only NUKEMAP is that good or better, and as user-friendly, and I really really don't want to break that sucker out ITTL. What you can affect and influence with the Magical Butterfly Engine (including statistical analogues for players who don't have available the kind of data you might like to have for AH purposes) is really very broad and elegantly detailed without being overwhelming. It's become clear to me through... some measure *coughs nervously* of use that it also crunches other, specific statistical details the general user can't get at but that play a valuable role generating outcomes. And it does a range of them at lightning speed including, if you want to read it (spoiler: I do), a play-by-play for each type of sport that I assume is done by Elves who live at the quantum level. I made a little use of it, as I say, on these more constrained quests for crunchy data and a small, diverting side project during a family vacation back in summer of 2019, and came away from all of that quite friendly disposed to the system.

So I decided to take this rather delightful tool I'd found, then used in a much more niche capacity, and see now what it might look like to play through a bit of seasonal action, just for a look at the sorts of variances might show up in selected ways, compared to what we know from OTL. After all when someone hands you a Magical Butterfly Engine, you engine the damn butterflies. I promised myself from the start that I'd abide by what I generated - I might then take a few more bashes, a few tweaks, at a given outcome just to get a broader statistical picture, how the teams matched up broadly for the game and the relative likelihood of a given outcome, but for narrative purposes I'd stick with whatever came first out the gate.

Then right off the bat a wildly, delightfully unlikely thing happened. (Spoiler: it shows up just a few pages into the Google Doc, when people start playing games.)

As for where things went from there, well...

From there the seasons of this McGovernized decade took form (and make no mistake, whatever George's personal fortunes in '76, the presidencies of TTL's Seventies have all been significantly remade by McGoverning's POD, so I took them here as a thematic whole, from the season during TTL!Nixon's last year of his only term up through Super Bowl XV that coincides with tidy closeness to the end of that last Seventies presidential term, and yes it is the end of the Seventies because there is no Year 0 *eye twitches*...) Here you can find what I mostly did over last Christmas's break - Nixon's Last Season and the bulk of George's very-definitely-for-sure term - plus the bits I added on as bonus for now (finishing up the '76 season and adding '77 as a main-narrative-spoiler-free taster for the rest of the decade) early in quarantine. I have, ahem, what I need to fill out the decade* in due time. After work on this and some of the other Side Projects at that point I want to keep hard at the main narrative for a good while yet. They're settled enough to rest ... for a time.

*(No of course I didn't stop there. Not even remotely, any more than I have with the Ever-Evolving Tapestry of the TLverse. I did for the purposes of this specific Google Doc because it's good for the reputation of this enterprise and its author if people act on the assumption that he's, well, sane. There's a reason I call my McGoverningverse HANDEGG materials the Scary Nightmare Hoarder Shit files, there are some things once seen from which the human soul can never fully recover...)

Of course, when it's a subject dear to one's own interests, sports is one of those matters where there's plenty of opportunity for wonderfully granular AH, so many moving parts, combinations of complex aggregate Trends and pure wild chance, endless filigrees and fractalizations of detail that then ebb and flow and affect one another and re-aggregate in new ways. That tends to be true of the other Many Side Projects also; I do tend to go for granularity.

Once you pass fully through the looking-glass and become a reputable stathead there are all manner of things you can do working complex combinations of players, lineups, and seasonal capabilities (you can, for example, integrate a specific season of a given player's career as your rough statistical base with a couple or three different combinations of teams, related players, O-line and D-line, etc., and get quite different results both at the team level and in the statistical outcomes for that player and others, or the team aggregate.) So once you appreciate the tools you can work with and get a sense of the other aggregate statistics that the engine uses that you can't get in the code and tweak, there's a really rich landscape of AH possibilities (you can even run the same "game" over again, even in the same conditions, and see what the likelihood of certain kinds of outcomes are by running it enough times. Also I have a suspicion that when you play a succession of games in a row with your same base-combination team against a succession other teams especially those who share their division and/or conference, the engine begins to aggregate "seasonal" effects, like winning and losing streaks, improvements or declines over time in individual player performance, games where it apparently choses to rotate players in ways you hadn't selected for to indicate they're out hurt or suchlike, and so on.)

So - some people deal with sleep-interruption issues by becoming gamers, I suppose this is a dedicated AHstorian's functional equivalent. The blend of narrative background choices (strategic level stuff that I can affect with my own narrative decisions) and actual randomization based on complex statistical programming inputs has a satisfying tactile liveliness to it.

A word on style: this Side Project takes on a specific form, indeed one that's kind of/sort of hallowed among the tropes and styles one sees around the forum here, namely the encyclopedia entry. So don't expect a lot of snazzy McGovernese prose, I've read enough reference texts in relation to this kind of subject matter to absorb through the fingertips what I'd call "low-key encyclopedic" form. But perhaps the SHEER FRIGGIN' GRANULAR CRUNCHINESS available, for those who are in to this very subject matter (it's fine if you're not) will compensate for a lower level of verve than the usual. And there's plenty here to enjoy, goodness knows. Again I do not place myself in any category there related, but merely comment on what might be shared habits of mind, when I say it's a bit like what happens when George RR Martin says to himself, "you know, I may need to ease up and stretch and come at all this from another angle ... by writing a 400-page history of the Targaryen Dynasty because that frickin' smacks dude."

As this project goes on down the line some other entrants from the Side Projects may show up also, in the various forms those have taken. For now here's one calibrated to the time of year and our plague world's rather curious present relationship with the diversions we hold dear from more "normal" times. Have at it folks.

(Also if all this degenerates for a couple pages from a lucid, well-read, and high-minded discussion of complex political, economic, and cultural issues to the forum equivalent of chatter at a sports bar, I might be less troubled by that than some 😎 )

TL;DR when it comes to, well, any of the Many Side Projects - or things that aren't even "side" like the Puttin' On the Brits chapters cued up next, or other intrusions of pet subjects/projects into the main narrative - when a Careful Reader asks, "Does that mean that all this is really an excuse to write a(n) [INSERT PET PROJECT HERE] timeline nested inside a larger timeline where George McGovern won the 1972 election?" the answer is always yes. I mean, it'd be off brand if the answer wasn't Yes...

Last edited:
When you mentioned railroads in the second to last update, I recommend you check out this post. Some electrification would be a good idea for industry and for the environment: https://ctr.trains.com/railroad-reference/operations/2001/01/railroad-electrification-proposals

Well spotted - electrification is likely to come up especially in relation both to commuter routes (something the First Rail Fan in the Oval Office wants to enhance and promote) and even short-route haulage as they try to promote commercial viability for freight.

Well spotted - electrification is likely to come up especially in relation both to commuter routes (something the First Rail Fan in the Oval Office wants to enhance and promote) and even short-route haulage as they try to promote commercial viability for freight.

Might as well electrify all long distance and commuter rail lines in the United States at 25 kv 6o hz. However, in San Francisco's case, it might be different you plan on having BART extended from Daly City to Palo Alto as originally planned (And providing service to San Francisco Airport a few decades ahead of schedule). Another benefit is that the Northeast Corridor is modernized much earlier than OTL, allowing for faster service.

Last edited:
So will you add stuff about pop culture too? Music? TV? Movies? Star Trek? Star Wars? Queen? Punk? Bowie? The Beatles reunion? SNL? Elvis? All in the Family?

So will you add stuff about pop culture too? Music? TV? Movies? Star Trek? Star Wars? Queen? Punk? Bowie? The Beatles reunion? SNL? Elvis? All in the Family?

At least brief mentions related to all of the above, even if in passing - sometimes a great deal more than that. Actually if you scroll back through a page or two earlier in the thread (I mean before our comments here) you'll find a mention to do with a rather different story from 1972 that Robert Redford options for film rights...

Would just like, given the nature and especially the POD of this enterprise, to point out that we are currently on Page 72. Seems worth a mention.

So glad to see you back, @Yes. Just have gotten caught up on all the posts since last Wednesday and it's been a real pleasure, especially the HST content, the midterms, the promise of some '70s Britain and most importantly...

Actor Dean Stockwell in his Academy Award-winning (Best Supporting Actor) role as Hunter S. Thompson, opposite Timothy Bottoms as Tim Crouse, in Robert Redford's directorial debut The Boys on the Bus (1976)

That. :)

So glad to see you back, @Yes. Just have gotten caught up on all the posts since last Wednesday and it's been a real pleasure, especially the HST content, the midterms, the promise of some '70s Britain and most importantly...

That. :)

Glad to see you too! Actually just been catching up over at your place, British Heretic sounds great. And, thank you very kindly. In a TL where “the media missed McGovern” it seems very much like a project Redford might option.

I am utterly disgusted by your use of reversed colours, I will fight this fight to my death.

Honestly? I treat this as a novel I get from the monthly digest kinda thing, so I don’t really wanna dig in before things are done unlike a more traditional timeline format. It’s a little too flowery once in a while and, although I think I understand the why of it, I roundly dislike the lack of quotation marks for dialogue.

Yeah but that’s all nitpicking—this is a stunning series of chapters, the details (without going too far into navel gazing capital letters “literature”) of people dressed and eating alone sells me lol let alone the amazing in-depth details of people I’ve read about but not in enough cases (oh research) more than your excellent work.

I straight up think you should stop posting here, go finish this novel, and sell it.

Yeah, what he said! Yes, you're a damn fine writer. Though you sometimes lean just a little too heavily on the prose for my tastes, your fantastically vivid descriptions of everyday details rivals Ian Fleming's lurid descriptions of James Bond's scrambled eggs recipe- and I mean that in the most sincerely complementary way.

A PSA, FYI
A quick public service announcement:

I'll be around per usual today and much of tomorrow, might even post once or even twice in the thread in that time (no, not a new chapter just yet but it is a whole lot closer than past evidence might dictate.) But as of late tomorrow I intend to Go Fishing for Election Week here in the States. Concentrate on work, writing (see, there are benefits), time with family and (meatspace) friends, and adapting to whatever lived reality the Butterfly Vortex of the coming vote creates. My plan, unless a full "dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!" situation develops (h/t Ghostbusters) is to be back from the fishing expedition Sunday week, November 8th.

So I'll be busy elsewhere through the week then, Lord willin' and the creeks don't rise, back here next weekend. Feel free to leave the usual sorts of queries and suggestions and such meanwhile. Although, do remember this is Post-1900 so keep the present crisis at arm's length please. Chatter about the prospects for '76, what the GOP clown car might look like to unseat McGovern, whether George might face a primary challenge or even has a viable shot in his own right, that's all good though :)

I think George will win in '76 beating a conservative Republican. Then a moderate Republican will win in '80 and 84. Beyond that, I can't really say. Crazy idea/theory: if Samantha Smith shows up in the '80s and beyond I hope that she lives a long life and maybe, just maybe, runs for office herself.

For the last two years, in a number of ways, we’ve done what you could call their dirty work for them. Things from which they benefit, things that if you sat them down and really pressed them with a choice between what we’ve done and some of the stark alternatives they’d probably accept, if not our policy, then the results we got from it. But these are things that they’d have considered too controversial, too leftist, too damaging to their public image, simply too risky to do themselves.

We made real, substantive Medicare for all happen. We’ve pushed through the new tax regime probably at some real political cost, in terms of favors we owe and congressmen who lost seats. We’ve done what had to be done dealing with inflation and with getting the federal government involved to relieve unemployment, not just backing Humphrey-Hawkins though we did but also an actual, coherent industrial policy instead of a lobbyist’s spoils system that isn’t really even a system. We put a woman on the Supreme Court. We cut the defense budget and overseas military commitments, not as much as we wanted to but real cuts. We gave amnesty to the draft evaders. We got out of Vietnam.

That puts us at the hinge of a dialectic, Coulter went on. Many of the things we’d list as accomplishments are not things any of those other politicians, or the people associated with them, would have taken the risk to pursue. But they’re broadly acceptable, the results that is, to those people. On one hand if we put a lot of energy into those kinds of policies, those projects, we might manage to pull undecided voters from that political middle the papers talk about in our direction.

On the other hand we may have less time, energy, attention — inclination — for some key elements of policy that are more our own, things only we would carry forward. We might get that pull from the middle our way. We might also, and instead, create a set of circumstances that makes it easier for politicians who lay claim to that middle to say they’ll keep the things we’ve done that the folks in the suburbs like, but they’ll stop or leave aside all the hippie bullshit about truly equal rights and economic equity and open democracy so people can carry on with their football and handguns and air pollution.

On the other other hand, we could focus on the things that only we are really willing to go after, seize the moment we’ve been given to accomplish things only we, among real or probable administrations, have the conviction to pursue. We may even owe that to some of our strongest supporters. It might win us points — I mean actual percentage points of the popular vote — for honesty and the strength of our principles. But probably not enough for us to win reelection.

I am very curious, what are those core McGovern policies that they have been unable to complete? Because the policies they seem to have implemented appear to be in line with McGovern era democratic liberalism, and I am interested in what they feel held back from achieving, and would seek to do if re-elected.

I think George will win in '76 beating a conservative Republican. Then a moderate Republican will win in '80 and 84. Beyond that, I can't really say. Crazy idea/theory: if Samantha Smith shows up in the '80s and beyond I hope that she lives a long life and maybe, just maybe, runs for office herself.
I remember seeing maps in the test thread showing McGovern barely winning a primary against Scoop and then winning 270-268. (bruh)
And the elusive Texan somehow gets shot/impeached/25th'ed in the mid-80s and his VP Paul Laxalt becomes POTUS.

I think George will win in '76 beating a conservative Republican. Then a moderate Republican will win in '80 and 84.
"Moderate" and "Conservative" are a bit tricky here - always remember that the cohesion of what we think of as "Modern Conservatism" was forged in the fires of a specific period of history (e.g. the Cold War); it's been practically all but confirmed that the evolution of The Right has been altered TTL. So we may very well still get a right wing backlash reaction to McGovern-ist Liberalism taking power in the 1980's, but it will look notably different from Reagan's OTL Revolution.

I think its been confirmed that McG will face a primary challenge from Henry Jackson. As for the GOP, I wanna say Reagan but that's too obvious.

Last edited:
"Moderate" and "Conservative" are a bit tricky here - always remember that the cohesion of what we think of as "Modern Conservatism" was forged in the fires of a specific period of history (e.g. the Cold War); it's been practically all but confirmed that the evolution of The Right has been altered TTL. So we may very well still get a right wing backlash reaction to McGovern-ist Liberalism taking power in the 1980's, but it will look notably different from Reagan's OTL Revolution.
True. I would just rather have be under GHW Bush or Howard Baker than Ronald Reagan or Jesse Helms.

Just let H.W. Bush win in 1980. Have him win the Senate seat in Texas in 1976 First.

All these are possibilities - but then a lot of things are possible. That's an interesting point about Samantha Smith but, then, a lot there depends on seeing an Eighties that looks enough like OTL's for her message to be apt.

As for Poppy, one should always be careful what one wishes for in anything to do with that shrewd and ruthless old patrician.