McGoverning

It's a small comfort, but there's at least a little dignity in losing to Lugar as opposed to Dan Quayle like he did in OTL.

Very much this. Richard Lugar is a substantive, formidable opponent. He took Bayh to the limit in a Democratic wave year IOTL!1974. A close loss to him is a hard slog against a mighty foe with honor in it. Not getting ganked by some childish Stepford Bill Mumy lookalike who thinks he's Robert Redford and can't spell the names of root vegetables.

Bob Gibson deserves all the praise and respect anyone can give and then some. He was so good in 1968 that MLB lowered the height of the mound in 1969. Gibson was so good they literally had to move the earth itself to give mere mortals a chance hitting against him.

The king.

1603503638961.jpeg

"The thing about Bob was, he pitched better angry"

Thank god for silver linings, while the McGovern campaign is grappling with what was awakened under the surface, this is the 70s and the Nazis don't have 4chan or Facebook memes, or hell even Fox news as the national syndication of all the different little rags, and they're still in the middle of getting over one of their anti-cop and and anti-government tantrums. Ironic how with their shootings and bomb-throwings they could easily turn the LA style police-gangs against them that OTL would go on to become their close allies.

A little bit of pop KULCHA:

"But who plays me, asked Thompson - Crouse kept mum."

B1W4AUsIUAAKUa-.png

Actor Dean Stockwell in his Academy Award-winning (Best Supporting Actor) role as Hunter S. Thompson, opposite Timothy Bottoms as Tim Crouse, in Robert Redford's directorial debut The Boys on the Bus (1976)

Last edited:
Denton wouldn't be a bad pick. He's green, though. As to 'Ol Johnny, well, it'd be interesting to see him as the Republican nominee, but it might look too... slippery, shall we say, to the viewers at home.
I am literally writing a T/L with Connally as President, one in which the milk money scandal took a rather different turn. 😉

For a lovely primer on the scandal, https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/not-guilty/
Also, see https://nyti.ms/1RDwYiP ;
https://www.nytimes.com/1975/05/09/...icted-here-in-dairy-fund-case-a-humphrey.html (Ol' Hubert was up to his large cranium in it);
https://reason.com/1976/03/01/milk-money-and-monopoly/

By the by, Denton was in the Senate in real life, so no matter what trouble AH Denton gets into, he's not exactly in strange territory here.

A little bit of pop KULCHA:

"But who plays me, asked Thompson - Crouse kept mum."

B1W4AUsIUAAKUa-.png

Actor Dean Stockwell in his Academy Award-winning (Best Supporting Actor) role as Hunter S. Thompson, opposite Timothy Bottoms as Tim Crouse, in Robert Redford's directorial debut The Boys on the Bus (1976)

Oh Boy!

Loving these updates. And I am so excited for "Putting on the Brits"! One reason I'm excited is that I still remember this:
Another excellent topic! And, yes, as we get into Puttin' on the Brits a little bit down the way here, those issues very much will crop up.
I've also got some inkling that this is going to be the update we finally get the promised touch on Punk.

Small request in the meantime - the photo for "this lively lass" didn't show for me; do you have a link or a repost by chance?

Loving these updates. And I am so excited for "Putting on the Brits"! One reason I'm excited is that I still remember this:

I've also got some inkling that this is going to be the update we finally get the promised touch on Punk.

Small request in the meantime - the photo for "this lively lass" didn't show for me; do you have a link or a repost by chance?

Thanks! Huh that’s interesting, I can see her (it’s Barbara Castle) on the laptop w Chrome and the iPhone w Safari, but I’ll see what I can do.

I am very interested to see how you develop the AIP. I will admit I have a hard time seeing it developing into any kind of party that isn't simply a vehicle for George Wallace third party bids, one which shrivels into a husk of cranks and racists who win less than 1% of the vote nationally, like UKIP post Nigel Farage.

What are any of these people doing?
Dude. Paul Ryan is five, and Marco Rubio is three; Steve Case is still in high school. Kaisich, at least, has (only just) graduated college.

And Donald Trump should already be working for father's Real Estate Company as President, likely still being racist to black renters.

Oh, what I wouldn't give for that butterfly to flap its wings just a little bit harder.
I mean, regardless of what the ripples emirate from the changes in history's course, Donald Trump is still going to be Donald Trump. Now that said, we're still nearly a decade earlier than the 1984 GQ Profile that OTL propelled him into celebrity, so it's more than possible the son of Fred Trump remains an obscure oligarch, at least for a time longer, TTL.