Masters Of The Ring: A Montreal Screwjob TL

1. And So It Begins
9th November 1997: Montreal, Canada

Jim Ross "We are seeing the very best that the WWF has to offer wrestling for the richest prize in our sport...Hart ducks the clothesline bounces off the ropes, crossbody on Michaels. One, two...HHH interrupts the count...the ring has filled up. DX and the Hart Foundation are fighting"

Jerry Lawler: "Its broken loose JR"

Howard Finkel: "Ladies and Gentlemen, the referee has disqualified both Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels"

(Crowd boos)

JR: DX and the Hart Foundation are fighting all over the place...chairs ring steps, everything is being smashed...my God Hart just hit Michaels with a monitor. In all my years in professional wrestling I've never seen such a disgraceful display. This is an outrage

JL: They're trying to kill each other. Look out JR..

JR: Ladies and gentlemen we are leaving the broadcast booth, its not safe...

Whacking a guy in the face with a monitor would be wrong on so many levels. Yes it was gimmicked.

10th November 1997
"Ladies and Gentlemen. Following the disgraceful ending to last night's WWF championship match the decision has been made to strip Bret Hart of the WWF Championship title and Shawn Michaels of the WWF European Championship.

Therefore tonight RAW will hold two over the top rope battle royals to determine the new undisputed holders of both titles. Thank You"

So, instead of the phantom submission, we get a DX run-in that brings the Bret/Shawn feud to a head. Interesting. Consider my eyes peeled.

How exactly was Bret vs Shawn bad booking?
The whole hot potato could have been solved long ago(drop the belt to owen, or to someone else and them back to michaels) if all 3 agents were decisive, part of me told me Vince knew that and allow to snowball for his benefit....regardless a Run-in is the duct tape of wrestling and should be respected(and critize) his use

European Title Battle Royal
Winner: Triple H

WWF Title Battle Royal
WInner: Shawn Michaels

As Shawn and HHH celebrate in the ring. Owen, Bulldog and Anvil race in to attack them causing more chaos.

Certainly Stone Cold Steve Austin is here causing havoc to both DX and Bret Hart's stable, assuming Hart stays in WWF. If I did a wrestling timeline, I would do a treatment where Macho Man Randy Savage becomes the biggest star of WWF instead of Hulk Hogan. Macho Man could do everything in the ring and outside of that. Complete WWF superstar. It would keep Steamboat in WWF and Macho/Steamboat would be the biggest feud of the late 80s, early 90s

Last edited:
This is interesting I listened to a deep dive done by Jim Cornette about Montreal and the booking behind it as it's one of those things that I always found interesting about wrestling and have seen different takes on it like Vince doesn't do it which results in the WWF going outta business within a year, Owen being inserted in and winning the title, One strange one that had the whole thing was a work to put WCW outta business so I'll be following this with interest.

I don't know how much was real and how much was bullshit. The original plan was for there to be a double DQ and for Survivor Series to end in chaos. I don't know why Vince chose to strip both Bret and Shawn of the titles. I guess he thought that he had to appear fair. The truth was that Vince couldn't afford to pay Bret what he had promised which was about three million dollars every year for three years. Bret didn't want to leave WWF but he couldn't stand Shawn. Likewise Vince wanted Bret to stay and had this idea of a series of matches between them with each winning one and the third to be an all time classic but Bret wanted to win 2-1 over Shawn, Shawn had already beaten Bret in 1996 and wanted to win 2-1. I guess Vince had decided which one was the more valuable of the two.

(JIm Cornette 2012)

D-Generation X:In Your House Results
As OTL except

WWF European Championship (Boot Camp Rules)
HHH Def Sgt Slaughter

WWF Championship
Ken Shamrock Def Shawn Michaels by Countout as DX and The Hart Foundation brawl.