Massively Multiplayer: Gaming In The New Millennium

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think some of the rancor may come from OTL Shadow the Hedgehog with the guns and edginess.
rather the game being a mess, the plot is decent but the game is massive mess, that was a forewarning what will come ahead(Sonic 06) but if you watch the stories in youtube are somewhat decent(yes including the infamous the damn fourth emerald) for now if there a shadow or equivalent depend how thing going forward...but will not have a game as bad as that one.

Honestly, Shadow was fine in his original appearance, he only got really edgy later on. Still, there's a lot you can do with or even without him just with ideas from OTL. You have the original version, which was more sinister and had life support ala the Bio-Lizard, you have proto-Blaze who was considered for the rival spot, and there will be more ideas ITTL. Actually, that reminds me, because Chaos was so different here, Tikal doesn't exist. That's a shame, I liked her.

Has the PC vs Console flame wars laid its seeds yet ITTL? Because that is one of the most toxic brews of brogamerism that I have seen IOTL and it is just a game of ad hominems and memes thrown around like toys.

PC gaming is kind of in its nadir here, the same as IOTL (remember that time immediately before World of Warcraft came out when people were constantly saying PC gaming is dead?). So while the conflict does exist, right now PC supporters are somewhat muted.

Despite butterflies more than likely keeping me a Nintendo exclusive gamer ITTL. I have been on X-Box since it's launch IOTL. I'm curious about several X-Box titles including Crimson Skies, Fusion Frenzy, Blinx the Time Sweeper, and if Bungie makes another FPS?

Crimson Skies is probably the most likely to get made out of those three, and you'll be hearing more about Bungie fairly soon. :)

Queen Zeal, if I may venture a guess?

You're....partially correct. :p

I almost forgot, is the infamous X-Box Duke controller still a thing?

Yep! At first, anyway. Complaints will probably make it go away like it did IOTL.

I was just hoping for another hedgehog character to rival sonic, they don't have to be edgy.
BTW how is Archie doing TTL?

Archie is chugging along just fine. Maybe even a bit better because of the stronger presence of Sonic the Hedgehog (and thus better sales for his comics).

I'd like to point out that while Nivek and Ry have written an excellent TL even with the generally more socially liberal USA here they can't butterfly away human nature. :p I'm sure that PC vs. console debates and other general flame wars are just as much about shit flinging here as they are in our world. Probably a little less vitriolic against women and the like but not by much. Everyone and anyone can be a jerk with anonymity.

I'm a little surprised that E3 2001 went so... meh for Sega. I thought that Reggie might be able to make a bigger impact but I suppose he's still trying to find his legs; he's got some big shoes to fill after all. I fear for Sega's future, however. It seems to me that Pyro's comment about them sliding into Nintendo's OTL position might very well come true: they're still technically in the console race but they're outpaced by their competitors generally and are fairly insular. Granted, I think they'll be more financially secure with Bandai giving them a steady stream of income - and I think if Reggie can make SegaNet stay free they have an excellent chance at positioning the Katana as the "budget-minded gamer's console of choice" - I'm not sure if they're really prepped to take on Microsoft. Time will tell but I don't think it's looking good and by the present day we've gotten the hint that Samsung is going to be in the race too, to say nothing of Apple.

Nintendo did about as well as I think they could have given the still unfortunate circumstances of Miyamoto's death. Dick sounds like it's going to be great (and you even got Simon Pegg!); I hope Nintendo continues this trend and allows more mature content from its various partners and studio subsidiaries. The Rare exclusivity contract ends in 2003, though, right? I really hope Microsoft doesn't get their grubby hands on them here...

The Nintendo Wave really rolls off the tongue quite nicely, though. I'm very curious how powerful it is in comparison to the Katana and Xbox but I think we'll get a comparison once the thing actually launches.

It seems that Microsoft brought their A game with them (seriously, a Dark Tower RPG? Sweet). Admittedly, the Xbox seems like it's just going to be a port box at launch but I think it's the impression that will stick: even if they're a new player in the arena, games will be coming to their platform and they're really pushing the whole 'PC/console merger' angle. I am hoping that if Microsoft still buys out Bungie then they'll let them work on something other than Hal- er, excuse me, The Covenant ITTL.

I can't recall from previous updates though... is the Xbox itself still ginormous in comparison to the competition?

Last edited:
PC vs Console flamewars will still happen just because of the nature of the beast. PC's shorter upgrade cycle means you're going to have more powerful pc hardware than an equivalent console except right at the start of a generation when he console will have the edge in performance.

Also as we move into the 6th gen, simultaneously released multi-platform games become the new normal, and that makes digitalfoundry-type 1:1 comparisons between Wave/Katana/Xbox/PC platforms possible, also as more console games from the major 3rd party publishers get simultaneous releases on consoles and PC, the amount of crossover between the two platforms will lead to more fans taking a one or the other mentality as opposed to mentally compartmentalizing PC and consoles into their own space.

Also as we move into the 6th gen, simultaneously released multi-platform games become the new normal, and that makes digitalfoundry-type 1:1 comparisons between Wave/Katana/Xbox/PC platforms possible, also as more console games from the major 3rd party publishers get simultaneous releases on consoles and PC, the amount of crossover between the two platforms will lead to more fans taking a one or the other mentality as opposed to mentally compartmentalizing PC and consoles into their own space.

One thought I should add it that a lot of the audience that were children/teenagers during the fourth and early fifth generations (like myself) will be reaching adulthood by the sixth gen. With that comes the possibility of owning more than one console--I mean, I owned a Gamecube and a PS2 during the sixth gen.

I'd like to point out that while Nivek and Ry have written an excellent TL even with the generally more socially liberal USA here they can't butterfly away human nature. :p I'm sure that PC vs. console debates and other general flame wars are just as much about shit flinging here as they are in our world. Probably a little less vitriolic against women and the like but not by much. Everyone and anyone can be a jerk with anonymity.

I'm a little surprised that E3 2001 went so... meh for Sega. I thought that Reggie might be able to make a bigger impact but I suppose he's still trying to find his legs; he's got some big shoes to fill after all. I fear for Sega's future, however. It seems to me that Pyro's comment about them sliding into Nintendo's OTL position might very well come true: they're still technically in the console race but they're outpaced by their competitors generally and are fairly insular. Granted, I think they'll be more financially secure with Bandai giving them a steady stream of income - and I think if Reggie can make SegaNet stay free they have an excellent chance at positioning the Katana as the "budget-minded gamer's console of choice" - I'm not sure if they're really prepped to take on Microsoft. Time will tell but I don't think it's looking good and by the present day we've gotten the hint that Samsung is going to be in the race too, to say nothing of Apple.

Nintendo did about as well as I think they could have given the still unfortunate circumstances of Miyamoto's death. Dick sounds like it's going to be great (and you even got Simon Pegg!); I hope Nintendo continues this trend and allows more mature content from its various partners and studio subsidiaries. The Rare exclusivity contract ends in 2003, though, right? I really hope Microsoft doesn't get their grubby hands on them here...

The Nintendo Wave really rolls off the tongue quite nicely, though. I'm very curious how powerful it is in comparison to the Katana and Xbox but I think we'll get a comparison once the thing actually launches.

It seems that Microsoft brought their A game with them (seriously, a Dark Tower RPG? Sweet). Admittedly, the Xbox seems like it's just going to be a port box at launch but I think it's the impression that will stick: even if they're a new player in the arena, games will be coming to their platform and they're really pushing the whole 'PC/console merger' angle. I am hoping that if Microsoft still buys out Bungie then they'll let them work on something other than Hal- er, excuse me, The Covenant ITTL.

I can't recall from previous updates though... is the Xbox itself still ginormous in comparison to the competition?

Heh, Simon Pegg was a lot less prominent around 2001 or so, and considering that Rare draws most of its voice talent from the UK, I figured he'd be perfect for the part. He's hilarious and he'll definitely take Dick to the next level of comedy. And with Miyamoto gone and with Sony having a bit more say, it's more than likely that Nintendo will continue to allow more and more mature content, especially if it keeps selling well. Rare is re-upped until 2005 actually, and we've got plenty of plans in store for them. There's one Wave title in particular that I think people will get a kick out of, but we'll wait until later (probably E3 2002) to reveal it. Microsoft HAS been acquiring developers though, most notably Psygnosis, so for now, they won't be coming after Rare. We'll see what happens in 2005 though. And yeah, the Xbox has a great deal of PC ports, sort of like how the SNES-CD was with Amiga games back in the day. I think these ports SHOULD go well for Xbox but they're definitely branching out into other things also. And Bungie won't just be working on The Covenant, we'll reveal later what kinds of games they'll be producing other than that.

PC vs Console flamewars will still happen just because of the nature of the beast. PC's shorter upgrade cycle means you're going to have more powerful pc hardware than an equivalent console except right at the start of a generation when he console will have the edge in performance.

Correct, there are going to be more and more multiplatform titles as the sixth gen gets going, including many series that were previously exclusive to a single console.

Bouncing off of an earlier guess, alternate universe Schala?

I'm just gonna go ahead and confirm that yes, it's Schala :) Her motives will be explained during the Chrono Infinite post!

One thought I should add it that a lot of the audience that were children/teenagers during the fourth and early fifth generations (like myself) will be reaching adulthood by the sixth gen. With that comes the possibility of owning more than one console--I mean, I owned a Gamecube and a PS2 during the sixth gen.

I think a lot of it actually started with the Playstation, I remember having both the PS1 and the N64 back in those days. If you were a huge SNES fan you pretty much had to since all the big franchises kind of split between the two of them. When Final Fantasy VII was announced for the PS1, a lot of us SNES Final Fantasy fans didn't hear "Final Fantasy VII is coming out for the Playstation", we heard "Final Fantasy VII now costs $349.99".

When Final Fantasy VII was announced for the PS1, a lot of us SNES Final Fantasy fans didn't hear "Final Fantasy VII is coming out for the Playstation", we heard "Final Fantasy VII now costs $349.99".

That and...7?! What happened with 4, 5 and 6?!

Ah...US titles. When they're a mess, they are a BIG mess.

Heh, Simon Pegg was a lot less prominent around 2001 or so, and considering that Rare draws most of its voice talent from the UK, I figured he'd be perfect for the part. He's hilarious and he'll definitely take Dick to the next level of comedy. And with Miyamoto gone and with Sony having a bit more say, it's more than likely that Nintendo will continue to allow more and more mature content, especially if it keeps selling well. Rare is re-upped until 2005 actually, and we've got plenty of plans in store for them. There's one Wave title in particular that I think people will get a kick out of, but we'll wait until later (probably E3 2002) to reveal it. Microsoft HAS been acquiring developers though, most notably Psygnosis, so for now, they won't be coming after Rare. We'll see what happens in 2005 though. And yeah, the Xbox has a great deal of PC ports, sort of like how the SNES-CD was with Amiga games back in the day. I think these ports SHOULD go well for Xbox but they're definitely branching out into other things also. And Bungie won't just be working on The Covenant, we'll reveal later what kinds of games they'll be producing other than that.

Correct, there are going to be more and more multiplatform titles as the sixth gen gets going, including many series that were previously exclusive to a single console.

I'm just gonna go ahead and confirm that yes, it's Schala :) Her motives will be explained during the Chrono Infinite post!

I think a lot of it actually started with the Playstation, I remember having both the PS1 and the N64 back in those days. If you were a huge SNES fan you pretty much had to since all the big franchises kind of split between the two of them. When Final Fantasy VII was announced for the PS1, a lot of us SNES Final Fantasy fans didn't hear "Final Fantasy VII is coming out for the Playstation", we heard "Final Fantasy VII now costs $349.99".

That and...7?! What happened with 4, 5 and 6?!

Ah...US titles. When they're a mess, they are a BIG mess.
Or in the case of the PAL regions, what the hell is a Final Fantasy? :p

Yeah but the whole idea behind it just feels condescending and stupid.
Maybe in retrospect, but to be fair, RPGs (especially JRPGs) were nowhere near as popular in the west (particularly the U.S.) then as they are now; and to the best of my knowledge the "tutorial level" hadn't been invented yet. So having an "entry level adventure" to ease new players into the genre, I can see that being beneficial.
If it had been the very first RPG that you ever played, maybe you might think a little more highly of it. I mean, I can see your point, but it was targeted explicitly at people who had never played an RPG before.

Yeah but the whole idea behind it just feels condescending and stupid.

Maybe in retrospect, but to be fair, RPGs (especially JRPGs) were nowhere near as popular in the west (particularly the U.S.) then as they are now; and to the best of my knowledge the "tutorial level" hadn't been invented yet. So having an "entry level adventure" to ease new players into the genre, I can see that being beneficial.
If it had been the very first RPG that you ever played, maybe you might think a little more highly of it. I mean, I can see your point, but it was targeted explicitly at people who had never played an RPG before.

The game wasn't a bad game itself i'm still liked it, feels like a nice game itself and have some nice ideas with the enviromental puzzles and the weakness system, but when in the west we were the land of Wizardy, Ultima and other complex things make FF looks easy, maybe is true that any executive have idea what the hell were Selling but FFMQ was a fine game notherless, here at least New Generation was a test run for SNES-CD Tech and content and SNES-CD have more 'adult' player at the start, helped become a hit.

That'd probably hurt Sega more than any of the others. Xbox is basically a way for Microsoft to get a foot in the door and control the future of home entertainment. Nintendo has a treasure trove of first-party franchises and development talent. Sega occupies an awkward spot between its two rivals, and had its Japanese arcade business too.

Although I wonder if the Nintendo Wave (or whatever the next-gen system) will be a PS3 of sorts: powerful but with odd architecture that makes development/ports difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.