Massively Multiplayer: Gaming In The New Millennium

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, since the Wha Happun look over was fun, I figured it'd be fun to talk another collection of OTL's greatest mishaps, this time in the world of music. I'm pulling from Todd in the Shadows' Trainwreckords series for this, finding albums from after the POD to attention to see if they're the same, changed or even outright butterflied.

1. Jewel's 0304
  2. MC Hammer's The Funky Headhunter
  3. Oasis' Be Here Now
  4. Van Halen III
  5. Billy Idol's Cyberpunk
  6. Lauryn Hill's MTV Unplugged No. 2.0
  7. Madonna's American Life
The only two from the actual playlist not listed are Styx's Kilroy Was Here and Creedence Clearwater Revival's Mardi Gras as both are very pre-POD.

And Todd released a new one. Robin Thicke's Paula, though I think we've got a while to go before this TL even covers Thicke.

I just remembered about this guy Brandon Burlsworth, ESPN did a great video about him:

ITTL, the New Orleans Saints draft him in the third round, and he becomes a multi All-Pro guard playing in the Saints' dominant 2000s offense. He's still playing for the Saints as of TTL 2012.

I just remembered about this guy Brandon Burlsworth, ESPN did a great video about him:

ITTL, the New Orleans Saints draft him in the third round, and he becomes a multi All-Pro guard playing in the Saints' dominant 2000s offense. He's still playing for the Saints as of TTL 2012.
Yeah deserved a walkoff showed dreams can become true...before he got hit a by truck....DAMN.

It's quite interesting to see Apple finally doing a gaming platform (and Google's got Stadia), though it doesn't seem like much compared to TTL.

Ah yes, an update on the return of Massively Multiplayer. It's looking like the absolute earliest I'll be coming back is mid-October, but more likely it'll be November, and January at the latest.

It's quite interesting to see Apple finally doing a gaming platform (and Google's got Stadia), though it doesn't seem like much compared to TTL.

Ah yes, an update on the return of Massively Multiplayer. It's looking like the absolute earliest I'll be coming back is mid-October, but more likely it'll be November, and January at the latest.

And now I hibernate.

AeroTheZealousOne

Monthly Donor

Take as long as you need. You've been working on one of the greatest pop culture alternate histories set after the Cold War for quite a long time, going five updates a week on most weeks! You deserve this break to do whatever you need to do and want to do in recharge your batteries.

AeroTheZealousOne

Monthly Donor
....That is a NARROW superlative.

Well, I should apologize for it being so narrow but at the same time I haven't seen anything this scale for the site going from 1991 and beyond, that's why I was rather particular. I've seen stuff from much of the rest of the 20th century as well as foci on the '60s, '70s and '80s. I should also probably say "the whole damn site" and say it's one of my personal favorites (top 5) on this site.

Furthermore, after reading Player Two Start it was one of the biggest motivators for me to join the site a little over two years ago and be a semi-active participant. I'm not as active as I once was starting out(read: I've asked less stupid questions as of late) but that's life, and I figured it couldn't hurt to say how close to home (in a good way, mostly) this timeline gets every now and then, being set so close to the present and how I can imagine growing up in the 2000s and 2010s even though I myself am a non-entity in the world. In some ways, it's a lot better. In others, not so great. This world isn't particularly better or worse than ours, but different.

I know how I always go on semi-existential tangents when it comes to the mere idea of this timeline, and I'm not exactly sure where it comes from, but that might just be me overthinking things. Either way, it's my way of saying "all of this actually could have happened, and it's actually pretty realistic" even with the primary focus on video games. Not gonna lie, that got me hooked from the start considering if I haven't espoused how much I appreciate late '80s and early-to-mid '90s JRPGs such as the first six Final Fantasy games, the first four or five Dragon Quest games, the MOTHER/EarthBound series, and of course Chrono Trigger. Those weren't my only foci, of course, since I love me some strategy simulation games, and reading about TTL's SimSociety and the brief mentions of the Civilization franchise that we got made me quite happy.

But yeah. I know things get rough here and there, but I personally think RySenkari and Nivek needed this appreciation post/me gushing over stuff.

Last edited:
Watched the first few episodes of Wu-Tang: An American Saga and wonder how they are doing ITTL?

The Wu-Tang Clan? Not a whole lot different from IOTL, though with hip hop a bit less prominent, they're probably a bit more obscure. They're still working on some projects, and will release a new album in 2012. They might also release Once Upon A Time In Shaolin ITTL, with the same $2 million asking price as OTL. If so, maybe Alex Stansfield (who has become quite wealthy from the success of his gaming website) puts in a bid? If he buys it, I imagine he'll release the songs for free soon after.

What has Disney being doing for live-action ITTL?

They DID do some Pirates Of The Caribbean movies in the late 90s/early 2000s, but they weren't quite as successful as OTL's. Tron Legacy was a MASSIVE hit ITTL, so we'll be seeing more Tron films in the near future. As for live action remakes of classics, I'm not so sure we see them, and if we do, they won't be nearly as ubiquitous as OTL.

Well, I should apologize for it being so narrow but at the same time I haven't seen anything this scale for the site going from 1991 and beyond, that's why I was rather particular. I've seen stuff from much of the rest of the 20th century as well as foci on the '60s, '70s and '80s. I should also probably say "the whole damn site" and say it's one of my personal favorites (top 5) on this site.

Furthermore, after reading Player Two Start it was one of the biggest motivators for me to join the site a little over two years ago and be a semi-active participant. I'm not as active as I once was starting out(read: I've asked less stupid questions as of late) but that's life, and I figured it couldn't hurt to say how close to home (in a good way, mostly) this timeline gets every now and then, being set so close to the present and how I can imagine growing up in the 2000s and 2010s even though I myself am a non-entity in the world. In some ways, it's a lot better. In others, not so great. This world isn't particularly better or worse than ours, but different.

I know how I always go on semi-existential tangents when it comes to the mere idea of this timeline, and I'm not exactly sure where it comes from, but that might just be me overthinking things. Either way, it's my way of saying "all of this actually could have happened, and it's actually pretty realistic" even with the primary focus on video games. Not gonna lie, that got me hooked from the start considering if I haven't espoused how much I appreciate late '80s and early-to-mid '90s JRPGs such as the first six Final Fantasy games, the first four or five Dragon Quest games, the MOTHER/EarthBound series, and of course Chrono Trigger. Those weren't my only foci, of course, since I love me some strategy simulation games, and reading about TTL's SimSociety and the brief mentions of the Civilization franchise that we got made me quite happy.

But yeah. I know things get rough here and there, but I personally think RySenkari and Nivek needed this appreciation post/me gushing over stuff.

This means a lot to me, I'm really glad to see people enjoying this timeline so much! I've missed working on it, though I've needed the time to do other stuff, and there's still a few things I'd like to get done during this hiatus, though I've been doing some background work on the timeline as well. November is now the most likely return timeframe, and that's probably when we'll be back unless real life intervenes in a major way.

What happens with these musicians and bands ITTL?
  • Imagine Dragons
  • Coldplay
  • Sigur Ros
  • Mumford and Sons
  • Of Monsters And Men
  • The Lumineers
Also, what happens with the 2006 films Children of Men and Monster House?

Status
Not open for further replies.